Trade 07 GT3 RS with 997 Cup

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 09:11 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,885 Likes on 972 Posts

Originally Posted by Glen
Risk on....
Texas looks money good for the foreseeable future...
Old 01-04-2011, 12:37 PM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
Watching that slide made me nervous too! (maybe trailering made the tires cold)

I know exactly what you are saying though!
After spending so much time and money on a street RS to make it just right for track one begins to worry about crashing it.... pioneering a street RS into a race car conversion takes time and patients. Not something one would like to lose in a track off by any means.

I have owned two RS porsches for work and play. The first RS got a little taste of a concrete barrier and i transferred all my race parts onto another RS to continue work and play while the first RS is being repaired and eventually sold.

Now that im back running full throttle and have had a close call where my tire peeled off the rim at speed (in an off camber left down slope) im very nervous to destroy my little precious again. (this is where hurting a 996 GT3 would be a little easier on me under these circumstances when compared to hurting my 997 RS. But alas, this is the price one pays to have cake and eat it too)

Im seriously considering a used and gutted 997 turbo for my tarmac rally exploits and retire the RS from any major duty besides occasional track days and weekend grocery getting until im ready for a CUP/trailer combo.

You are definitely in the right direction. Too bad you couldnt keep the RS for garage candy next to the CUP car. (that is my dream)
Hey TC

I feel your pain as far as your other RS with bend metals. The fuuny thing about a street car vs a race car is that it is next to impssible to sell a street car with accident history and none issue for a race car such as Cup. I am at the point where I am pushing the speed envelope enough that it will rip and send me to the wall w/o much warning. It's time for me to step up to a Cup ... just matter of time. I find it hard to keep both RS and Cup in the garage. I never street my RS. I just don't see the point of driving 40 mph around town or 65 mph on freeway. It has too much race car genes to keep it in a bottle

Originally Posted by mobonic
well it was fun debating this with you guys and I know Mike appreciates all the input..

I guess we just have to agree to disagree...

But I do agree with thusly: "No matter how one cuts it, driving fast is expensive, but certainly worth every second"

and I bet there is n better way to do this than in a 997 cup car.

ok, im going to my shop to work on my car.

Mike, hope to see you soon in LS.
Hey mobonic

Thanks for all you input. I know switching to a Cup car will not lessen the cost to run it on the track vs street 911/GT3/RS. I just can't stomach the thought of crashing my RS ... it's too pretty. I want a race car I can put to a wall and care less if bumper and lights are hanging down the side. Cost to repair will be the same or slightly higher in a Cup but psychological damage will be far less

Originally Posted by wwmeatman
Mike

FWIW -- I have been studying the cup car cost/value equation for a couple of years. I have been PCA racing for 10+ years and have been getting the push to get a cup from my friends that have got them including the infamous Glen ( we both raced wild 914-6's with when we started racing).
I also got pretty spoiled when I got to do a couple of DE days in a GT3RS last summer. I decided this year the cup prices had dropped enough and I noticed I am not getting any younger so I bought a 997 cup last month. I am looking forward to getting it on the track,

My observation the past couple of years watching my friends is that the difference in operating cost is effected by how fast you can go or want to go and your budget. Physics says going faster wears brakes tires axles ect..... out faster. A bigger factor looks that some drivers wear things out and break things faster than other drivers. Compounding that is means - bigger budgets allow more sticker tires and motor rebuilds. In my opinion the difference would come down to driver and the cars capability. That said I think a cup is an easier choice for me for all the reasons some others have said.

There are some really good deals on cups especially 997's. Many of the 997's for sale have been professionally setup and maintained so you are starting with a car that is ready to go. Find one and come out racing next year. We need more racers.

Tom
Great insight Tom and appreciate the input. I agree that it makes sense to own and run a Cup car if one consider club or more advance form of racing. Many argue that spec MX5 is much chaper to run and they are right ... but it's not a 911. We pay the price to play.
Old 01-04-2011, 01:20 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,885 Likes on 972 Posts

Mikymu: You've come to the right conclusion. Now go pull the trigger.
Old 01-04-2011, 02:37 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

MIKYMU:

i hope you find a CUP soon because im looking forward to your posts on ownership/operation.

I wish to follow suit.
Old 01-04-2011, 04:43 PM
Leigh2
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

I was looking hard at 6 cups 1.5 years ago and ended up buying this car off of a Rennlister: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...highlight=GTS5

I have now raced it for a year at Miller with a couple of excursions to other tracks. Maintenance for the season involved one new clutch assembly (largely preventative), two sets of front rotors, 1 set of rear rotors plus several sets of pads, one extra motor removal due to the oil cooler/separator on the top of the engine failing, and one cracked exhaust manifold, all fluids every race, numerous set up changes and what seems like a truck load of tires. I was running on scrubs but eventually gave in and stared to run new Michelins. Modification included a CF rear deck lid and cup rear wing, different exhaust manifolds and exhaust, and a cool suit system. For next season it now has CF cup doors and the gearbox is going out for a refresh. The gearbox is fine but I'm moving 5th to 6th and changing gears 3, 4, 5 and of course checking the LSD for wear. I had trouble all year with the hydraulic power steering pump leaking so it was removed and a cup electric pump is now at the front. Plus we are fabricating a cup intake so the filter will now be in the deck lid and hopefully some extra HP at speed. Plus a new windshield and the shocks were taken out and dynoed, one rear wasn't right so the two rears were rebuilt. The wheel bearing were all changed and the uprights removed and checked for cracks as were all the suspension components.

The engine has been strong with little sign of deterioration so no plans to rebuild; perhaps a refresh next winter??? 3.9 maybe

The car competes very well with 6cups and I'm generally at or near the front of the pack. I haven't run against many 7cups but the few I have run against are clearly faster. They are lighter and the gearing is way better. I hope to close the gap this year with a tad more power, coaching, better gearing and faster graphics

Overall I am very pleased with the car; it is strong and safe and plenty fast. It's a pleasure to drive with a familiar 6 speed and ABS brakes so similar to my street GT3s or what a 6cup would be like. I have severe air jack envy that's going to prove expensive one day; and the PCA thinks the car is a mutt so I'm in GTA2 where the car is hopelessly uncompetitive against the real RSRs. Fortunately the series at Miller doesn't care and the rules at the POC are HP/weight ratio where it fits into GT2 nicely.

In the end I am not sure it was any cheaper than getting a 6cup...especially with an aggressive preventative maintenance schedule. I guess we'll see at the end of this season about the motor; this will be the motor's 3rd season so it should be close to 100 hours by next fall. I remain very apprehensive about going to a 7 cup with the sequential and no power assisted brakes with no ABS.
Old 01-04-2011, 04:58 PM
mobonic
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Leigh2, I love your car.. i almost pulled the trigger on that one.. you got a great car at a crazy price.. congrats and glad you are having fun with her.
Old 01-04-2011, 05:04 PM
Leigh2
Rennlist Member

I'm having a great time although my accountant thinks I've developed a mental health issue. He'll get over it...
Old 01-04-2011, 06:17 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by Leigh2
I was looking hard at 6 cups 1.5 years ago and ended up buying this car off of a Rennlister: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...highlight=GTS5

I have now raced it for a year at Miller with a couple of excursions to other tracks. Maintenance for the season involved one new clutch assembly (largely preventative), two sets of front rotors, 1 set of rear rotors plus several sets of pads, one extra motor removal due to the oil cooler/separator on the top of the engine failing, and one cracked exhaust manifold, all fluids every race, numerous set up changes and what seems like a truck load of tires. I was running on scrubs but eventually gave in and stared to run new Michelins. Modification included a CF rear deck lid and cup rear wing, different exhaust manifolds and exhaust, and a cool suit system. For next season it now has CF cup doors and the gearbox is going out for a refresh. The gearbox is fine but I'm moving 5th to 6th and changing gears 3, 4, 5 and of course checking the LSD for wear. I had trouble all year with the hydraulic power steering pump leaking so it was removed and a cup electric pump is now at the front. Plus we are fabricating a cup intake so the filter will now be in the deck lid and hopefully some extra HP at speed. Plus a new windshield and the shocks were taken out and dynoed, one rear wasn't right so the two rears were rebuilt. The wheel bearing were all changed and the uprights removed and checked for cracks as were all the suspension components.

The engine has been strong with little sign of deterioration so no plans to rebuild; perhaps a refresh next winter??? 3.9 maybe

The car competes very well with 6cups and I'm generally at or near the front of the pack. I haven't run against many 7cups but the few I have run against are clearly faster. They are lighter and the gearing is way better. I hope to close the gap this year with a tad more power, coaching, better gearing and faster graphics

Overall I am very pleased with the car; it is strong and safe and plenty fast. It's a pleasure to drive with a familiar 6 speed and ABS brakes so similar to my street GT3s or what a 6cup would be like. I have severe air jack envy that's going to prove expensive one day; and the PCA thinks the car is a mutt so I'm in GTA2 where the car is hopelessly uncompetitive against the real RSRs. Fortunately the series at Miller doesn't care and the rules at the POC are HP/weight ratio where it fits into GT2 nicely.

In the end I am not sure it was any cheaper than getting a 6cup...especially with an aggressive preventative maintenance schedule. I guess we'll see at the end of this season about the motor; this will be the motor's 3rd season so it should be close to 100 hours by next fall. I remain very apprehensive about going to a 7 cup with the sequential and no power assisted brakes with no ABS.
That is a great car there!

You are ahead of the game because you got it 2nd hand already prepared turn key.

If one was to buy a stock used 07 GT3 and replicate what you have they would be out more money then a used 997 CUP.

I too would assume your maintenance was comparable to a 996 CUP. However when it comes to racing against 996 CUPs im not sure if you are classed the same?

You did well on that purchase either way. Very impressively built car especially for what you paid.
Old 01-04-2011, 07:19 PM
Surfbum
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Leigh2, Did you run in the Airpower race this summer? I remember seeing the car parked, but I dont remember if you were in the Patron race or Airpower's?
Great car btw.
Old 01-04-2011, 08:36 PM
Leigh2
Rennlist Member

No I had a mandatory wedding that weekend and couldn't make it..rats. I'll be around lots this year although the car will look completely different. I'll post the new graphics when the design is finalized.....
Old 01-05-2011, 02:40 AM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

the rules at the POC are HP/weight ratio where it fits into GT2 nicely.
FWIW, POC raised the multiplier for GT2 this year to 7.0 from 6.5 to eliminate the 450 HP cups. You'll fit in even nicer now...
Old 01-06-2011, 04:12 AM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
MIKYMU:

i hope you find a CUP soon because im looking forward to your posts on ownership/operation.

I wish to follow suit.
Yes, Cup car is in my future be it now or 1-2 years down the road. Will keep mods to my RS conservative if I end up keeping it to save for the $$$ Cup
Old 01-06-2011, 04:14 AM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the detail report ... pricey to run races but you had a great car to start with. What I am trying to prevent is pouring god awful amount of money in my RS without much return. It will never be a 7 Cup ... maybe a baby monster 6.7 Cup lol
Old 01-06-2011, 02:12 PM
Leigh2
Rennlist Member

The cars need a constant flow of fuel, maintenance and money...not necessarily in that order Plus I'm now spending $$$'s on modifications (like the power steering pump) that the factory cup cars sorted out long ago. As far as the purchase price plus modifications go I would have probably been further ahead to buy a "real" cup. The real issues I was trying to avoid were 1) the shorter engine life; which is largely due to the shorter gearing so more time spent near redline 2) the notorious sequential gearbox and the attached learning curve 3) the manual non ABS brakes and subsequent flat spots. I didn't feel that I was ready...even with 10+ years of racing experience...to jump right into a 7 cup. So I was shopping for a 6 cup when this one came on the market and I thought it would be a better place to start. I'm not out to displace Patrick Long anytime soon I'm just on the track enjoying the sport. The only classification problem I have had is with the PCA but I'm in exactly the same spot on the track regardless of the classification so I don't really care.
Miller is 1000 miles from where I live so I had lots of tracks to chose from within a similar range. Miller is a beautiful facility with great support available right at the track. There are 4 track configurations so it remains interesting and it's a (relatively) safe track as there is less to hit than at some others; like Infineon for example. The local series classifies the car right in with the other cups so I can compete for the same points. I came second overall in the series last year and way up in the prize money winning a total of about $50 (in vouchers redeemable at the track only)
My fastest time full course was 3:03. I'm trying to get down to 3:00 with some improvements to the car and driver. I think it's achievable for a reasonable price. The newer RSRs are down around 2:50 but from what I see that extra 10 seconds cost them about $50k/second in capital costs and an extra $1or2k/hour to stay there. So I have two budgets; one is to keep the car safe and reliable and the other is to make it faster. The sky's the limit for budget #2 so you have to balance the speed/budget/wife equation carefully.
Old 01-08-2011, 04:39 AM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

The cars need a constant flow of fuel, maintenance and money...not necessarily in that order Plus I'm now spending $$$'s on modifications (like the power steering pump) that the factory cup cars sorted out long ago. As far as the purchase price plus modifications go I would have probably been further ahead to buy a "real" cup. The real issues I was trying to avoid were 1) the shorter engine life; which is largely due to the shorter gearing so more time spent near redline 2) the notorious sequential gearbox and the attached learning curve 3) the manual non ABS brakes and subsequent flat spots. I didn't feel that I was ready...even with 10+ years of racing experience...to jump right into a 7 cup. So I was shopping for a 6 cup when this one came on the market and I thought it would be a better place to start. I'm not out to displace Patrick Long anytime soon I'm just on the track enjoying the sport. The only classification problem I have had is with the PCA but I'm in exactly the same spot on the track regardless of the classification so I don't really care.
Miller is 1000 miles from where I live so I had lots of tracks to chose from within a similar range. Miller is a beautiful facility with great support available right at the track. There are 4 track configurations so it remains interesting and it's a (relatively) safe track as there is less to hit than at some others; like Infineon for example. The local series classifies the car right in with the other cups so I can compete for the same points. I came second overall in the series last year and way up in the prize money winning a total of about $50 (in vouchers redeemable at the track only)
My fastest time full course was 3:03. I'm trying to get down to 3:00 with some improvements to the car and driver. I think it's achievable for a reasonable price. The newer RSRs are down around 2:50 but from what I see that extra 10 seconds cost them about $50k/second in capital costs and an extra $1or2k/hour to stay there. So I have two budgets; one is to keep the car safe and reliable and the other is to make it faster. The sky's the limit for budget #2 so you have to balance the speed/budget/wife equation carefully.
Well said. I am just trying to minimize any more $$$ damage on my RS before a Cup car park next to wife's shoe rack lol

Quick Reply: Trade 07 GT3 RS with 997 Cup