Trade 07 GT3 RS with 997 Cup

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 07:47 AM
Glen
Race Car

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Mike,
Sending You a note back.
BTW one of my kids lives in Rocklin, small world!
Serendipity is God's hands at work in Our lives....
Old 12-22-2010, 07:50 AM
Glen
Race Car

Originally Posted by mooty
one day.... cup car i come.

no ****, glen, you are a grand father? man, i am so so far behind ya....
John, You are in my mirrors Bro, for sure!! I only get one move , no blocking!!LOL

Thanks for Your friendship over the years!!!

Merry Christmas and Blessings to You and those You Love!!!!
Old 12-22-2010, 01:40 PM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Glen
Mike,
Sending You a note back.
BTW one of my kids lives in Rocklin, small world!
Serendipity is God's hands at work in Our lives....
Cool, I love Rocklin! It's a great place to live and much cheaper than SF Bay Area. Will give you a call soon to chat

Cheers

Mike
Old 12-22-2010, 02:09 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,853 Likes on 960 Posts

What has Your car cost You so far? Anywhere near a Cup? There is a reason I ask, I went down the road You are on a decade ago and found the Cups to be far less expensive, far more durable and most importantly far safer....I will give details on my walk if it helps.
Took me exactly two DEs in the RS to figure this out.
Old 12-22-2010, 02:17 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,853 Likes on 960 Posts

Tires for DE cars cant be much different. And if You want the cheap date just run take offs for 500/set and You will get several sessions out of those sets although You wont ahve the STICKERS...heh heh...STICKERS...its a disease, there is no hope!
Originally Posted by mikymu
Really enjoy your post Glen. I send you an e-mail

Cheers

Mike
Mike: Watch out for Glen. He's a sticker pusher. He'll get you hooked and then there's no going back.
Old 12-22-2010, 07:28 PM
prg
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess I should stop bitching about $900 a set stickers for the pro formula mazda. Sadly, after one session, the bloom is off the rose, and I am wanting another hit off the sticker crack pipe. I am pretty sure crack is better value for money.
Old 12-22-2010, 08:42 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

Mike, little OT, I'm pulling the trigger on a 11 rock warrior supercrew and throwing the trd supercharger on it...Just for the extra towing bump (504hp/550ftlbs)...

How have you liked yours?...
Old 12-22-2010, 09:24 PM
mobonic
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

BTW mike is looking at a 997 cup and not a 996 cup, just for apples to apples comparison
Old 12-22-2010, 11:29 PM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nizer
Mike: Watch out for Glen. He's a sticker pusher. He'll get you hooked and then there's no going back.
Too late .. I found out the hard way lol

Had a great chat with Glen and friends and hope to find a right Cup for my collection

Originally Posted by J richard
Mike, little OT, I'm pulling the trigger on a 11 rock warrior supercrew and throwing the trd supercharger on it...Just for the extra towing bump (504hp/550ftlbs)...

How have you liked yours?...
LOVE IT. It drives really well but thirsty. This thing will tow a house and super powerful. Make sure you get a great deal. I paid $2K below invoice plus 0% for 60 months. Now that is an awesome deal!

Originally Posted by mobonic
BTW mike is looking at a 997 cup and not a 996 cup, just for apples to apples comparison
Yes ... 7 Cup

Last edited by mikymu; 12-23-2010 at 04:54 AM.
Old 12-23-2010, 01:42 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,654 Likes on 2,325 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
LOL, that's why i only talk to glen ONCE a year. and as is, i am broke. if i called him more often, i'll be robbing banks.
Old 12-23-2010, 04:55 AM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mooty
LOL, that's why i only talk to glen ONCE a year. and as is, i am broke. if i called him more often, i'll be robbing banks.
I pack gun you drive get away vehicle since you have racing experience and I have none
Old 12-31-2010, 01:43 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 601 Likes on 268 Posts

There are enough parts for purchase from PMNA and PCNA that if you really really wanted to, you could build your own variant of a 997 cup for those that want the realiability and inexpensive, reliable nature of an h-pattern street drivetrain. That's the beauty of Porsche. You can Mr. Potatoe Head your way into anything you want and can get all the parts without issue. The cage construction is the only difference. Every single other part you could re-create if you had the time, money and desire. If you raced both cars side-by-side you'd spend more money building the 997 up into a pseudo Cup and less money running it; the opposite would be true of the original PMNA 997 copy, as you'd spend less money buying it and more money maintaining it. Say what you will. A new drivetrain should not cost half as much as your car!!!

Auto blippers, sequential shifters, cockpit adjustable muffler bearings...the purists are rolling in their graves!!!
Old 12-31-2010, 02:29 PM
Rceron
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As a point of reference, a GREAT driver, friend of mine, just had an off in his street GT3, with HANS etc...hurt, will recover. Now will move to a Cup.

The cost is not very relevant once You have the wreck....
Glen, thanks for the very informative posts. Your perspectives are appreciated. Can you tell us more about that incident with the GT3 & hans...if you can. PM if more appropriate.

I ask bc I have GT3, DAS rollbar, halo racetech seat and hans. I keep questioning myself whether this is really enough....

Ramon
Old 12-31-2010, 03:45 PM
thusly
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

.....You can run the RSR width rubber for 1200$/set, I know, I know, ironic!...............
Geez Glen - I had no idea! I might have to dust off the RSR this year and park the 7 cup!!!

I would echo X100 everything Glen wrote. While I haven't been in Cups as long as he has, I certainly have had my share of extensively modifying street cars to track. And no matter how hard one tries, it just isn't the same as a purpose-built cup. Besides the sequential, don't forget the Motec, the adjustable brake bias, air jacks, pit speed limiter, center lock wheels, the plexi windows, the cage (!!!), the fire system, better aero, and the continuous factory updates derived from racing to make the cars better. Save the $$$$ and buy a cup, and know that you have the best "off the shelf" factory race car built.

I wish I had started with a cup before launching into significant modifications to my street GT-3. That said, my skills were grossly inadequate to fully appreciate what a cup can and would do. And with my skills improving, I have unquestionably found the most driving enjoyment ever from driving a cup, whether a 996 Cup, a 997 Cup, or an RSR.

Last edited by thusly; 01-01-2011 at 03:17 PM.
Old 01-01-2011, 12:06 PM
Glen
Race Car

Originally Posted by Rceron
Glen, thanks for the very informative posts. Your perspectives are appreciated. Can you tell us more about that incident with the GT3 & hans...if you can. PM if more appropriate.

I ask bc I have GT3, DAS rollbar, halo racetech seat and hans. I keep questioning myself whether this is really enough....

Ramon
I have asked him for detail and will get it to You re what he has/had etc.... Has some broken ribs and beat up pretty good but will be ok. Buying a Cup as a result is current status..

Quick Reply: Trade 07 GT3 RS with 997 Cup