Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ICarScan X431 Tool Available again.

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2018, 12:12 AM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,141 Likes on 758 Posts

You don't have to choose all 8 when you initially get it. You have up to a year to choose which ones you want. I initially went for Porsche, and the 3 "general/special" tools (forget which ones, probably service reset and brake reset and one other I've never used.) I later added Toyota (which covers the wife's Lexus) and BMW because a friend had some BMW problems. Story is - don't rush the selection. They don't all have to be picked at once.
Old 03-06-2018, 12:14 AM
deilenberger
Banned

Originally Posted by Stringbag
Nothing else to buy.

I’ve used it on my 955 to lower the suspension. Not sure about 958 though.
It has a suspension calibration function for the 958 - which I looked at, but haven't used since I don't want to change my suspension. Does it work? Dunno.. but if someone wants to come over sometime and we can play with it - we can likely answer that question.
Old 03-06-2018, 07:27 AM
Tom M
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by deilenberger
You don't have to choose all 8 when you initially get it. You have up to a year to choose which ones you want. I initially went for Porsche, and the 3 "general/special" tools (forget which ones, probably service reset and brake reset and one other I've never used.) I later added Toyota (which covers the wife's Lexus) and BMW because a friend had some BMW problems. Story is - don't rush the selection. They don't all have to be picked at once.
I tried choosing only the 2 vehicles I currently have and I got a message that only 2 of 8 had been selected. The only other choice was to hit the big 'X' at the top right to clear that option selection. I tried several times and the only way to continue was to choose everything at one time. I did not try just choosing just some of the tools. However choosing just the 2 cars and selecting "Continue" did not work in my case. BTW - This was using EZDiag directly from the Play Store and not the QR code to install the app.
Old 03-06-2018, 08:03 AM
95_993
Race Car

Received 501 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom M
I opted for Porsche (duh), Toyota (Wife's Highlander) and 3 other makes along with RESETBLEED, RESETOIL & RESETBRAKE. Having to choose the special tools w/o being able to see what's really needed it a PITA since some of those features may already be covered in the vehicle specific SW.
Agreed. I went with OIL, BLEED & GEAR
Old 03-06-2018, 10:19 AM
vandal968
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by deilenberger
Don,
I don't think that your info is correct anymore, something seems to have changed. When I got mine a couple of months ago, it would not allow me to proceed until I chose ALL of my features on the initial setup. I was trying to only select Porsche and Infiniti since that's all I've got at the moment and it gave an error like "Only two makes have been selected, you must choose X more to proceed".

cheers,
c
Old 03-06-2018, 05:24 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Originally Posted by vandal968
Don,
I don't think that your info is correct anymore, something seems to have changed. When I got mine a couple of months ago, it would not allow me to proceed until I chose ALL of my features on the initial setup. I was trying to only select Porsche and Infiniti since that's all I've got at the moment and it gave an error like "Only two makes have been selected, you must choose X more to proceed".

cheers,
c
Interesting - I guess they changed it. I did a clean install when I base lined my Android phone - and so far have only added back the Porsche selection, but I believe it knows my other selections, so I'll have to try picking one that I hadn't selected and see if they want me to buy it.
Old 03-07-2018, 01:49 PM
tolbertiii
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm interested in this tool but so far haven't needed it for anything. But... I'm thinking about going with some oversized tires for my 05 CTT. What's holding me back in that I know it will throw off my speedometer.

Does anyone know if the IcarScan tool will let you set tire sizes? I have read about folks selecting tire sizes from the instrument panel but that must be an option later than the 955. I don't see any place to make a selection.

Thanks.
Old 03-07-2018, 04:44 PM
vandal968
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tolbertiii
I'm thinking about going with some oversized tires for my 05 CTT. What's holding me back in that I know it will throw off my speedometer.
That's only an issue if you drive the speed limit. Sack up.

c
Old 03-07-2018, 06:40 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 109 Posts

There's several online websites for calculating tire size speedometer offsets. Plug in your current size, or largest the PCM let's you select, and then your desired larger size

https://tiresize.com/speedometer-calibration/

In most situations it's "not enough" to be overly concerned about. But what you DO need to be concerned about is speed rating. Few offroad capable tires are going to have the same speed ratings as factory spec'd choices.

I've never heard one way or the other if larger sizes will affect anything other than the speedo reading. They all have to be the same, of course, but is there anything in the traction control software that'd be affected?

(this is possibly deserving of it's own thread, to avoid cluttering up this one).
Old 03-07-2018, 07:06 PM
tolbertiii
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wkearney99
There's several online websites for calculating tire size speedometer offsets. Plug in your current size, or largest the PCM let's you select, and then your desired larger size

https://tiresize.com/speedometer-calibration/

In most situations it's "not enough" to be overly concerned about. But what you DO need to be concerned about is speed rating. Few offroad capable tires are going to have the same speed ratings as factory spec'd choices.

I've never heard one way or the other if larger sizes will affect anything other than the speedo reading. They all have to be the same, of course, but is there anything in the traction control software that'd be affected?

(this is possibly deserving of it's own thread, to avoid cluttering up this one).
Thanks -- that's the very site I was looking at and I think I found a nice compromise. Several folks report no issues other than the speedometer. My question about not being able to select the tire size on the 955 is what prompted the question in this thread.
Old 03-24-2018, 06:22 PM
95_993
Race Car

Okay, got the iScan and tried it our today. I am curious others are using it the same way..

When i select the EZdiag app on my phone, it asked me to download the US&EURO CAR app. When I select FULL SYSTEM SCAN, it automatically opens the US&EURO CAR app.

When I select DIAG FILE DOWNLOAD after scan, I get two selections 1) DEMO 2) EOBD
When I select DEMO, I see the list of Engine, A/T, ABS, etc.
I can then select read trouble codes, clear trouble, read data stream.

Is this how everyone elses is working?

Unfortunately, I cannot read trans fluid temp which would be helpful for changing trans fluid.
Old 03-29-2018, 10:45 AM
redstack
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I want this scanner, but it seems so convoluted I wonder about it.
If 95-993 will continue to post his results, I'd really appreciate it as its the most up to date experience.
Old 03-29-2018, 12:03 PM
95_993
Race Car

Once I downloaded the firmware, the app opened up and gave me all the options I was looking for. Setup seemed like a little guesswork, but now it is work and appears fairly intuitive and well optioned. I can see actual trans temp which will be useful in my fluid change shortly. Also plan to use it for simple oil change resets, etc. I also did a full scan and it was nice to see no codes. Seems like it will work fine.
Old 04-01-2018, 05:22 PM
redstack
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default options

Originally Posted by 95_993
Agreed. I went with OIL, BLEED & GEAR
So would you still choose these sections to download?
Old 04-02-2018, 11:08 AM
95_993
Race Car

Yes I would. I do regular oil changes, brake fluid changes, etc myself and these are still good options. I also reset the trans adaptation sw this weekend following my replacement of the valve body and all went very well. App worked perfectly.

Quick Reply: ICarScan X431 Tool Available again.