Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ICarScan X431 Tool Available again.

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2017, 03:30 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,149 Likes on 763 Posts

Curious if anyone else is running the ICarScan from the Google Play Store?
Old 05-07-2017, 10:30 AM
prosled8
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the check engine light come on in my Ctt yesterday. I am going to purchase a code reader/reset type tool. I was excited when I started reading the thread, $100 less than a durametric, Bluetooth... They lost me though with a complete lack of support, no confirmation that anyone has made it work on an iPhone. By the time I wade through all of those issues it may cost more.

If it worked without an hassle, great, I would buy it today. Sounds like it is a LONG LONG way from being a hassle free option. The extra money looks well spent on the easy to operate, fully supported durametric tool.

Not really trying to start a debate but am I the only one not seeing the value of this product?
Old 05-07-2017, 11:17 AM
touareg
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by prosled8
I had the check engine light come on in my Ctt yesterday. I am going to purchase a code reader/reset type tool. I was excited when I started reading the thread, $100 less than a durametric, Bluetooth... They lost me though with a complete lack of support, no confirmation that anyone has made it work on an iPhone. By the time I wade through all of those issues it may cost more.

If it worked without an hassle, great, I would buy it today. Sounds like it is a LONG LONG way from being a hassle free option. The extra money looks well spent on the easy to operate, fully supported durametric tool.

Not really trying to start a debate but am I the only one not seeing the value of this product?
I would say the durametric support for cayenne (can't speak for other porsche models) is non existent too.

I contact support on several occasions, 1 for problems connecting to the DME and getting corrupt data from it and Durametric crashes, no help, eventually just ignored my emails. (Nothing wrong with the DME as dealer never said anything and generic code readers had no problem)

Same for why does your app crash when I look at coding for certain modules.

I realize sh*t happens, people have laptop problems, car problems, etc. But when you are not even willing to get diagnostic logs and pin the blame on me, that is lousy support.

I get better support from ross-tech talking about their cable which the DO NOT support on the Cayenne.

Durametric also only support one platform, windows.

You can go to your local walmart and get an android tablet for 35 to 55 dollars.

Between this and a vag-com I have no use for my durametric anymore unless they write better software.

That being said it is not perfect, I don't like the licensing model. And if they stop supporting the device, I won't be able to use it in the future as I assume the software will die, I can not use it now without logging in and an active internet connection.

I have an ipad, if you really want I will try it on that.
Old 05-08-2017, 04:12 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 192 Likes on 132 Posts

I don't know what I did, but eventually I managed to get the EZ-Diag android app to properly connect to this dongle. I've poked around a bit and noted from transfer case data over in another thread.

It sure seems like authorization/copy-protection scheme they're using for this is more damned trouble than it's worth. I get it, chinese clone dongles and rampant pirating are a problem. But they're getting in the way of legit purchasers from being able to use it. I've half a mind to send this damned thing back for a refund.

But I may keep it and just harass Don for making such a stinker of a recommendation...
Old 05-08-2017, 07:25 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 192 Likes on 132 Posts

Anyone with the module care to check the seat diags? I can make the seats and windows move, but only just one short bit of motion. Not the full range. I don't know if it's app problem or how the '17 handles it.
Old 05-08-2017, 08:53 PM
adie
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've resisted buying an expensive diagnostic tool, but with what I think is a week coil somewhere id rather be sure than just buy a whole new set. Would a tool like this single out a weak coil pack even if the engine is not throwing any codes?. My generic OBD2 reader will point me in the right direction once something fails and I'm okay with replacing parts when they are due but early detection means I can get the parts on the bench, and change them when I want to do them, not when they fail.
Old 05-08-2017, 09:05 PM
touareg
Drifting

Originally Posted by adie
I've resisted buying an expensive diagnostic tool, but with what I think is a week coil somewhere id rather be sure than just buy a whole new set. Would a tool like this single out a weak coil pack even if the engine is not throwing any codes?. My generic OBD2 reader will point me in the right direction once something fails and I'm okay with replacing parts when they are due but early detection means I can get the parts on the bench, and change them when I want to do them, not when they fail.
You have to look at the DME actual values and inputs. I assume there is something the engine monitors, looking for failures.

If it is something more intermittent, you need to drive the car, then go back and look at the logs while the device is logging. From what I can see I can get real time logging but no way to save it.
Old 05-08-2017, 09:15 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Originally Posted by wkearney99
But I may keep it and just harass Don for making such a stinker of a recommendation...
That's OK - I'm bugging the OBD2 place that sold it to me a year ago on Facebook. So far they gave me an email address to talk to them at.
Old 05-09-2017, 10:50 AM
deilenberger
Banned

I'm now in contact with one of the development engineers for ICarScan. He has asked for details on the problems people have been having. I will refer him to this thread so he can see what people have problems with.

I will also check to see if he wants to setup an email address that could be used to direct concerns/problems to. If so - I'll send it to anyone who sends me a Private Message (PM) that includes your email address.

I'd rather not be the middle-man here since much can be lost even working one-step removed. It's better if communications flows directly from you to the man who can perhaps sort out your problem.
Old 05-09-2017, 11:25 AM
jbse39
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I've also been going back and forth with obd2tool.com place and shared link to this thread.
Old 05-09-2017, 06:11 PM
cordsig79
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Hi All, I bought ICarScan X431 tool too and have a no idea what the different M app and now EZ Diag app and then to select the Tools and Makes.

I am just going to guess because I need to send it back if it does not work.
Old 05-09-2017, 06:39 PM
touareg
Drifting

Originally Posted by cordsig79
Hi All, I bought ICarScan X431 tool too and have a no idea what the different M app and now EZ Diag app and then to select the Tools and Makes.

I am just going to guess because I need to send it back if it does not work.
What platform android or ios, for android look for the ezdiag app on the play store, DO NOT download the one on the QR code, it just breaks.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...olo.mobilediag is the correct one for android. All the older apps do not work if you got the icarscan in the beginning

of the thread.
Old 05-09-2017, 07:00 PM
cordsig79
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by touareg
What platform android or ios, for android look for the ezdiag app on the play store, DO NOT download the one on the QR code, it just breaks.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...olo.mobilediag is the correct one for android. All the older apps do not work if you got the icarscan in the beginning

of the thread.
I turned on unknown app and downloaded first M Diag then got EZ Scan and downloaded tools and 5 vehicle preference​.

It just started working after downloaded each manual and going to special tool
Old 05-09-2017, 09:27 PM
957austin
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
Default works fine for iOS

I just played around with this X431 for the last hour testing various functionality. I installed it for iOS and had zero issues. I used the QR code to download the first application (EZdiag), input myserial number & activation code from the paper slip, selected my "8 pieces of free software", then went to full system scan and selected Porsche and it downloaded a second application called "US&Euro car". The second app launches automatically when you're ready to scan a vehicle.

As far as functionality, I was able to read and communicate with all of the major modules with no problems. I played around with viewing various real time values and scanning the modules for errors (had a handful of meaningless errors). There are very minimal coding options available on the X431, but there are a few. I think once upon a time someone was asking about headlight programming. There is an option to code a ballast as "left", "right", or "new control unit" as well as calibrate them. Not sure how any of it works, but it's there.

I also have the iCarSoft i960 so can provide a brief comparison with that. Both units read real time values from the various modules just fine. There's too many to compare to know if one reads more than the other. The i960 does not provide the Porsche specific error codes on the various modules. The i960 also can not reset the service interval, whereas the X431 resets the service interval like a champ. The i960 is self contained and a little quicker to get going (no BT pairing), while the X431 feels a little snappier changing menus. The big bonus is the X431 works on many more vehicles.
Old 05-09-2017, 10:03 PM
cordsig79
Burning Brakes

I think I've figured it out but the tool is technically ​more complicated than I'm used too.

I ran quick test and had some faults. Am I correct in thinking I can clear the faults or analyze them? Faults

Quick Reply: ICarScan X431 Tool Available again.