Sponsored by:

9" Android Radio Install Review

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2017, 08:41 AM
ProgRockJunkie
Rennlist Member

Received 371 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by morrisdl
What did you purchase? I have neither an internal antenna or a DVD player in mine. I think you are talking about something entirely different. Good luck getting it sorted out.
You may not have the external DVD option, but what I mean by internal antenna is the inner workings of the antenna. The unit has a single antenna connection where the original PCM 2.1 has two, short and long range. After initial installation, by the best stereo shop in Loudoun County, VA, we decided to try a Y adapter to incorporate both cayenne antennae. Made no difference. The unit has an issue internally.

The DVD player is an external option. Was $75, which itself is ridiculous. Total junk. Played one DVD, then failed that function. CD's worked for a couple of months but ultimately gave up the ghost on that function as well. We pulled it, again at my expense, and tested it on a service bench and it's just simply a piece of ****.

But it is indeed the 9" flat panel, we're talking apples and apples. Know what I got, know what I'm talking about.
Attached Images   
Old 03-31-2017, 10:11 AM
morrisdl
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't have a DVD player. Youtube, Netflix, SLingTv, and AmazonPrime got it covered for me. You can use any 12v DVD player. There are lots of cheaper and well reviewed options for DVD players and all the Seicane accessories on Amazon. . I bought my 4G dongle and ODBII adapter from amazon for this same reason. Not really an Android head unit issue.

Did you get an FM diversity adaptor? It improved my reception to 95% as good as the PCM. I mentioned it in the first post and again on the 2nd page:

Old 03-31-2017, 01:33 PM
ProgRockJunkie
Rennlist Member

I don't have a DVD player. Youtube, Netflix, SLingTv, and AmazonPrime got it covered for me. You can use any 12v DVD player. There are lots of cheaper and well reviewed options for DVD players and all the Seicane accessories on Amazon. . I bought my 4G dongle and ODBII adapter from amazon for this same reason. Not really an Android head unit issue.

Did you get an FM diversity adaptor? It improved my reception to 95% as good as the PCM. I mentioned it in the first post and again on the 2nd page:
I'm using Amazon Prime as well. I try to stay off youtube. My son gets all over it and starts playing "its raining tacos" or some other crap. On the DVD, yes, like I said I'll be replacing but Seicane should be taking care of it. That they don't give a **** is IMO significant. I just had a look at your first post again. Thanks for pointing me there. We did add a Y adapter to incorporate both antennae, but you said something about amplifying? You have a link to the exact item you used so I can compare to what my stereo shop installed?

Thanks...
Old 03-31-2017, 01:43 PM
ProgRockJunkie
Rennlist Member

Looking at the available 12v DVD's out there, thanks, doesn't seem to be a hell of a lot to choose from, and haven't come up with one yet that does bluray. Any suggestions?
Old 04-12-2017, 04:41 AM
Joe Smooth
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

used a blank switch plate, dremel and grommet to install 1 usb in dash
Old 04-12-2017, 05:33 AM
hgupta
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Joe Smooth
used a blank switch plate, dremel and grommet to install 1 usb in dash
Interesting. For a more stealth option, you can also run the wires to the ashtray so that they are out of sight. Just dremel a hole through the back of the ashtray door. It's still easily accessible.
Old 04-25-2017, 08:33 AM
ProgRockJunkie
Rennlist Member

The now refuse to even send me the mirrorlink software I paid for. Here's the thread. Anyone who spends money with this company is feeding the troll.

Hello
please fix it at your local car repair shop.

Looking forward to hearing from you soon.
Seicane Team
www.seicane.com

Date: 2017-04-24 06:14
To: sales1@seicane.com
Subject: RE: RE: AutoReply: RE: RE: seicane limited: Shipment # 105272953 for Order # 105279803
My Cayenne has been in the body shop for a few months. I love my car. It's like new inside and out and the Seicane unit was supposed to be a dream. Listen, my DVD player is completely dead, has been since delivery. You never gave me the mirror link software and I want what I paid for. I want my DVD replaced. I'll be happy to give you a deposit, PAY for a new DVD player and you refund me when I send the dead unit back. But I want my DVD player and I want my mirrorlink software. I don't know what to even do about the antenna anymore. I can't leave a giant hole in my dash for months while I ship the unit back to China and I shouldn't have to pay all the labor to swap it in and out, so I'm just stuck and will just give up on the antenna issue if you JUST FIX THE OTHER ISSUES. PLEASE. I paid through paypal which isn't going to help me at all so I'm reduced to begging for what I paid for. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE help me.
Old 04-25-2017, 12:50 PM
hindibuff
Advanced

wow.
sounds like a horror story. My 2 cents worth, next time you send them an email, include a link to this forum. They need to see how much business they are losing because of their bad service.
Old 04-26-2017, 10:24 AM
morrisdl
Instructor

Seicana is definitely a SMALL business - maybe just one guy. English is definitely his 2nd, 3rd, or maybe not at all language. Your email is not well constructed for google translate. Try to simplify and be more concise in your emails with them or anyone you deal with directly in Asia.

You can try messaging him though facebook:
Facebook Post

Sorry you are so frustrated...If mine broke tomorrow, I would buy one again in a heartbeat. Im still $750 ahead from selling the old and WAY overpriced Porsche PCM2 radio and accessories (NAV, XM, CD changer) on ebay. Im looking at one for my other cars...
Old 04-26-2017, 11:36 PM
ProgRockJunkie
Rennlist Member

Seicana is definitely a SMALL business - maybe just one guy. English is definitely his 2nd, 3rd, or maybe not at all language. Your email is not well constructed for google translate. Try to simplify and be more concise in your emails with them or anyone you deal with directly in Asia.

You can try messaging him though facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pg/seicane/...=page_internal

Sorry you are so frustrated...If mine broke tomorrow, I would buy one again in a heartbeat. Im still $750 ahead from selling the old and WAY overpriced Porsche PCM2 radio and accessories (NAV, XM, CD changer) on ebay. Im looking at one for my other cars...
I understand what you're saying. This wasn't my first rodeo trying to get them to support their products. I could post the entire exchange, don't mind, would make it very clear they understand perfectly everything that's wrong. Their final brush off is clear as a bell.
Old 05-08-2017, 07:07 PM
Molitoth
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So my OEM CD player just went out and I'm researching options.

My goodness, the support from Seicane looks hella scary!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm really scared of getting a faulty product.

Yikes!
Old 05-09-2017, 08:37 AM
ProgRockJunkie
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Molitoth
So my OEM CD player just went out and I'm researching options.

My goodness, the support from Seicane looks hella scary!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm really scared of getting a faulty product.

Yikes!
Yeah, suck company, doesn't deserve your business, or anyone's. Really unique product but it isn't worth the risk.

Just slapped a decent kenwood in my 911, and while my son misses youtube (I don't) at least it does everything it's supposed to do flawlessly. I really appreciate Pandora just working via bluetooth and not needing to turn tethering on and off all the time. Yes, you have to tether for the Seicane. I wouldn't mind so much if I could just leave tethering on all the time, but I use it for business and if I walk in the house with tethering on, my laptops will find it.

Seicane sucks. The unit is kinda fun and I won't hate it for however long I have it. But here I sit with a new DVD player I have to pay to have installed, again, because Seicane wouldn't stand by their faulty crap. I'll get around to it eventually. Would never do it again if I had it to do over. It's a fun unit, what works of it anyway, but what a garbage company. With Alpine, Kenwood, Pioneer to choose from, why do this to yourself?
Old 05-09-2017, 02:16 PM
beyondthegrave77
Intermediate

I have a 997 and I got a different one of these chinese android units, and I agree with you all, the android and customization aspect of it is cool (in the fact we can make it seem brand new again) but there are definete cons to getting these units.

As they provide basically no support and because of the language barrier its made even worse. and you have to make alot of fine tuning to make it work as good as oem...

Like for example bluetooth connects very quickly and you can play music etc, but alot of the songs/sound have a bit of interference/low quality static. But if you play the same song from a usb stick from the USB connection it sounds crystal clear and the bass/sounds are good. Little stuff like this is kinda annoying to me, so Now I will be buying a 128gb usb stick and just leaving it plugged in to the unit with all my main music and only need bluetooth for podcast streaming.

Also do you guys have an electrostatic hum from your most box? As soon as you get in the car I can hear some electrostatic hum from the speakers it sounds like radio interference. Once the car starts I have the faintest of alternator whine. I bought a ground loop isolator thinking it would get rid of both the alternator whine and hum but ironically (unless it was plugged in wrong) the alternator whine is way louder WITH the ground isolator box.

Any other ideas to get rid of the hum? I soldered the 2 most wires to the respective black and yellow wires on the android wire harness and then I soldered the red acc to a fusebox connector kit which I then plugged in to a unused switched fuse in my fusebox.
Old 05-10-2017, 09:03 AM
morrisdl
Instructor

Google "gound loop hum" - LOTS of help. Rewire so the radio, MOST, and the ground-loop isolator are all using the same ground.

BTW- This Cayenne specific 9" Android radio is available on amazon, ebay, etc if you dont want to deal with Seicane:
Amazon Amazon
Old 05-10-2017, 11:57 AM
beyondthegrave77
Intermediate

Google "gound loop hum" - LOTS of help. Rewire so the radio, MOST, and the ground-loop isolator are all using the same ground.

BTW- This Cayenne specific 9" Android radio is available on amazon, ebay, etc if you dont want to deal with Seicane: https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B016UI1ZAY
Morrisdl,
So heres the thing, when I removed the Boss ground loop isolator I had(which is just a silver box with 2 sets of rca's , theres no ground wire to it) the alternator hum was pretty loud and annoying. When I unplugged it the alternator hum went from like a sound level 30/100, to a sound level 5/100, I can maybe sheild the most box alittle more to see if it goes down further.

The electronic HUM is what I find most wierd. Because the hum is when the cars is OFF. as soon as you unlock the doors and get in the car i guess the fiber connection/amp turns on and this is when you hear the electronic hum like digital noise from the speakers. Any idea how to get rid of that? With the car on and sound on you no longer hear this sound.

Quick Reply: 9" Android Radio Install Review