Panamera 2010-Current

Panamera 4 E-hybrid Owners Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2018, 10:23 AM
manitou202
Burning Brakes

Received 406 Likes on 158 Posts

Cometguy,

Thanks for sharing all of your experiences. I'm hopefully picking up my ST hybrid this week.

By the way, which Volvo are you comparing to your ST? My wife has the XC90 hybrid so it will be an interesting comparison for us.
Old 07-16-2018, 06:45 PM
lbcgolf
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Yeah, thanks from me too Cometguy. Interesting comment about the Turbo S E-Hybrid. I think those of us that prefer the "lesser" hybrid ST do so for a somewhat more practical reason. I know that it seems ridiculous to say we're shopping for value on a $140k+ station wagon, but we really are since we get a federal rebate, sport chrono and PASM standard, so a lot more stuff than base P4 for not a lot more money. I think the Turbo S is top-of-the-food-chain stuff, a halo model. It bills itself as some kind of 918 in an estate body where you can carry 4 people and their weekend luggage, while bombing down the autobahn and pulling Gs in the twisties with your hair on fire. Looks good in a brochure, probably an extra 45 seconds of talking points at a cocktail party or your local cars & coffee meet, and some people with sufficient disposable income got to have it, which is fine.

I'm on a countdown clock. My car arrived in San Diego last Saturday. I'm getting excited!!!
Old 07-16-2018, 07:47 PM
zeppomedio
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Loving the car overall, but have hit one strange issue that I'm curious if anyone else has seen and if it's required a trip to the shop:

Multiple times over the last few drives, on E-Hybrid (and once on E-Power mode), the gas motor will get stuck idling, while the electric motor is actually the active motor. The paddle shifters don't help or shift the gas motor's gears; it's like the car is powered by electric but forgot to turn the gas motor off. Eventually, if I come to a stop sign or similar the Auto-Off kicks in and the engine turns off, but it's super annoying if driving around with a running engine that doesn't seem to be actually powering anything. Any ideas? Thanks!
Old 07-16-2018, 07:56 PM
Galavanta
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by zeppomedio
Loving the car overall, but have hit one strange issue that I'm curious if anyone else has seen and if it's required a trip to the shop:

Multiple times over the last few drives, on E-Hybrid (and once on E-Power mode), the gas motor will get stuck idling, while the electric motor is actually the active motor. The paddle shifters don't help or shift the gas motor's gears; it's like the car is powered by electric but forgot to turn the gas motor off. Eventually, if I come to a stop sign or similar the Auto-Off kicks in and the engine turns off, but it's super annoying if driving around with a running engine that doesn't seem to be actually powering anything. Any ideas? Thanks!
I've had that quite often, especially if you are in electric mode then hard on the accelerator for some reason and the gas engine kicks in, it will then stay idling for a while after that. I think (just a guess) that it will stay idling until it gets to a certain temperature, that way its not stressing the cold engine too much if you were to gas it again, as I say its just a guess but yes it happens to me too.
Old 07-16-2018, 08:36 PM
cometguy
Burning Brakes

Received 219 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by zeppomedio

Are you saying that the lower green-dotted lights around the tachometer are lit up to the left of center (meaning electric motor is being used), while the tachometer is also on but at a low rpm (like 1000 or so) and not moving at all as you put your foot on the accelerator pedal? I'm assuming that you have more than 10% power stated in your battery pack? It could be a problem with your car. If your description is accurately worded, it doesn't sound like anything I've seen.

[I'm assuming that what Galavanta wrote after your post is *not* what you are referring to? Because when the engine is cold and it starts up for any reason -- even when you have it in E-Power mode -- it will stay on until it warms up (to like 170-180 deg F) before you can use E-Power only again.]
Old 07-16-2018, 09:28 PM
zeppomedio
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks @cometguy and @Galavanta. The tachometer reads 0, and the electric E-Power lights are on as I accelerate; it sounds like it could be the cold-engine warmup that you both describe.
Old 07-16-2018, 09:29 PM
manitou202
Burning Brakes

Received 406 Likes on 158 Posts

My wife's Volvo XC90 hybrid does the same thing in electric mode. Give it too much gas and the engine kicks on and stays on until the engine is warm. It will also kick on the engine in cold weather to help heat the cabin, and will force the engine to cycle if you haven't run the engine in several weeks.

My guess is Porsche does something similar.
Old 07-16-2018, 10:11 PM
cometguy
Burning Brakes

If the engine is idling, the tachometer should not be zero.
manitou202, we've had Cross Country wagons, including a V90 T6.

Tonight I noticed that the yellow boxing on the night-vision screen did not come on with a warning message that the conditions weren't appropriate for it to work; I was driving home just after sunset, so it was dusk-ish, and the temperature in the upper 70s F. Not sure why it wouldn't come on. I was driving in the city and noticed that bicyclists and pedestrians were only a little more prominent in the screen than they were visually. I attach a photo that I took while at a red light of the infrared screen; I notice that the actual camera is very low on the front bumper (I could actually see almost entirely the underneath side of a car in front of me at another red light), and I wish it was on the top-center of the windshield instead, because you lose things (people, animals) close to the car on the right side, as this photo shows. I had to stop about 5 feet behind the bicyclist on the right, so all you see is her leg and the bicycle wheels on the right side of the field-of-view; just right of center, a little further up the street on a sidewalk, you can see two people easily.

Old 07-16-2018, 11:17 PM
WCE
User

Received 177 Likes on 86 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by cometguy
I do think that the passenger-side mirror on my 2015 Panamera turned down more when backing up, to give a better view of the curb, vs. my 2018 Panamera
You can adjust it while it's in that mode for your best view and it should remember it!
Old 07-17-2018, 01:12 AM
cometguy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by WCE
You can adjust it while it's in that mode for your best view and it should remember it!
Thanks... I now see that in the owner's manual! I'll try it out next chance I get...
Old 07-17-2018, 04:35 AM
ajriches01
Racer

Covered above (although too many pages to scroll through...), if the ICE starts at all, it will then complete a warm-up. One point to note, the ICE stays on when you have the car in manual mode.
Old 07-17-2018, 10:00 AM
Pana TJ
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks... I now see that in the owner's manual! I'll try it out next chance I get...
comet, what page/what section of the manual do you see this? Thanks
Old 07-17-2018, 10:07 AM
Galavanta
Intermediate

Page 160:
http://www.porscheownersmanuals.com/...omatic-dimming

Swiveling mirror glass downward manually
  1. Engage reverse gear.
    The light indicator on button A for adjusting the door mirror on the driver’s side lights up.
  2. Press button B for adjusting the door mirror on the passenger’s side.
    The mirror glass on the passenger's side swivels downward.
Making individual adjustments to the position of the lowered mirror glass:
  • Move the glass of the door mirror into the appropriate position by pressing the adjustment button C.
Old 07-17-2018, 11:11 AM
Pana TJ
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Galavanta
Page 160:
http://www.porscheownersmanuals.com/...omatic-dimming

Swiveling mirror glass downward manually
  1. Engage reverse gear.
    The light indicator on button A for adjusting the door mirror on the driver’s side lights up.
  2. Press button B for adjusting the door mirror on the passenger’s side.
    The mirror glass on the passenger's side swivels downward.
Making individual adjustments to the position of the lowered mirror glass:
  • Move the glass of the door mirror into the appropriate position by pressing the adjustment button C.
Thanks Galavanta, my bad. I was mistaken and thought that there was a section on adjusting the camera view for the night vision. I was remise in reading the quote above and thought that the reply about making an adjustment was about cometguy's post just before. I was looking through the manual for the camera adjustment and found nothing. But, thanks for your efforts and info; and I will keep your info for the mirror handy for when I get my car in a couple months.
Old 07-17-2018, 01:51 PM
SaratogaLefty
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

My center screen sometimes takes up to a full minute to "boot". Is this common? It's frustrating sometimes waiting to get access to things in the screen... (see photo) ...
Also, my predicted electric range continues to go up, perhaps based on my driving habits while using the electric motor? This morning I woke up to a fully charged car with an estimated range of 32 miles with AC off (with AC on, it read 27 miles). (Wonder if I can get it up to 34, like SaratogaLefty did...)

So I just got back from a week in Park City, Utah visiting some friends. Didn't take the car. It still shows 34 miles and I will drive it tomorrow to see how many actual miles I can achieve. Usually shortly after I leave my house it drops a couple of miles quickly. I've found a realistic distance on full electric with my mix of high speed freeway and some surface streets mixed in I get about 10% less actual miles than initially indicated until the ICE kicks on. Right now it is very hot here (should approach 100 degrees tomorrow) so we'll see how it does. I probably can drive to the Club in the morning without the A/C on but coming home in the afternoon I'll definitely need it.

Quick Reply: Panamera 4 E-hybrid Owners Thread