Panamera 2010-Current

Panamera 4 E-hybrid Owners Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2018, 01:50 PM
Wilson Laidlaw
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by ajriches01
Wilson - I agree that is poor, my "solution" is to put on cruise control as the speed indicated will be in kph.
That is what I have been doing but it is a bit faint. I also told them about the charger defaulting to the wrong rate, 100% on the 13 amp cable and 50% on the 32 amp cable but got no response on that.
Old 07-05-2018, 10:37 PM
FriscoTexasGuy
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Stop in the LA Porsche Experience Center and was able to get a driver instructor to take me out in the 4 E-Hybrid. Great experience!!!
Old 07-05-2018, 11:26 PM
FriscoTexasGuy
Instructor

Few more pictures from today.

Old 07-05-2018, 11:53 PM
cometguy
Burning Brakes

Received 219 Likes on 154 Posts

I've noticed some odd software anomalies in my Pan4 ST E-Hybrid. It's been noted previously here how the estimated electric range will disappear (shown as "---") below 2 or 3 miles, which seems unnecessary. Also, I've noticed that you can get down to 1-2 (sometimes even 3-4) miles of estimated electric range left, and if you try to change to E-Power (as I'll do when driving into my neighborhood and driveway always), it will often have an "error" message that states that E-Power is not available (will stay in "Hybrid Auto") -- but it will still continue in all-electric mode for quite a while after that. Obviously a bug in the software.

On another note, I'm very pleased with the acceleration ability of this car on the highway. I see no need for Turbo E-Hybrid at all, as the Pan4 E-Hybrid has plenty of acceleration power. I don't like the Sport Plus gear changing, however; it often hangs too long in a given gear, so I prefer to stay in one of the other gears. I find that if Hybrid Auto does the best job of balancing electric vs. gas, and it's amazing how effortlessly it shifts between the two -- no lurching at all. I find it fascinating how the gear is set to change on electric mode, so that when the engine kicks in, it's already at that gear and there's just no visible problem (unlike when in Sport Plus mode, for example). I do use E-Charge and Sport mode a fair amount when I want to build up some electric charge, which I always like having handy when I'm in slow-driving areas (parking lots, residential neighborhoods, traffic-congested areas). Over my first 2000 miles, I've gotten close to 38 mpg overall -- not bad for a car that I like to drive fast (frequently 80-100 mph).

One thing that bugs me is the steering wheel, which has thicker portions at about 11 and 1 o'clock -- which annoyingly block the left and right instrument panels to a certain degree -- making it no so convenient to use the map there and also not so great at viewing the night-vision screen. I wish they'd left it thin in those parts of the steering wheel. I really don't like the location of the volume roller/dial forward of the gear shifter; I almost never use it because it's awkward to reach. Also, the driver can't see the passenger-side fan-speed button because the gear shifter is in the way; I find that a pain at times.

And, as I've said before, I'm really really annoyed at the bad design of the glass "buttons" control panel surrounding the gear shifter and the surrounding chrome strips around that and spanning horizontally across the lower dashboard -- because of daily problems with sunlight reflecting into my eyes. This is a huge design flaw. Somebody else wrote that they never have a problem with this -- but I find that amazing. At various times of the day, this glass and/or chrome really catches the sunlight and throws it right at the driver's eyes. I throw the black cleaning cloth on the button-glass, which helps that area but it covers up the buttons then; but the highly reflective chrome is a real pain, and I'm trying to figure out a way to cut down on that reflection. Anybody have any ideas? (Maybe you can order the chrome as wood panels instead of chrome? But I didn't do that. I wish I could have gotten the chrome as a matte-black trim that reflects zero light.)
Old 07-07-2018, 07:16 PM
sriklin
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey FriscoTexasGuy! I think you and I were both at PECLA the same day. I was there on Saturday, June 30th, and drove both the Panamera Turbo and the Panamera Turbo e-Hybrid. The Turbo e-Hybrid is a BEAST! They had just received the cars last week, and were not officially in their system yet. Johnny, the manager there, is a great guy, and when he heard me raving about the e-Hybrid, he introduced himself. He wanted to hear all about the car in the real world. He was kind enough to ask me if I would like to drive the Turbo e-Hybrid on the course. You bet I said "yes" without any hesitation. The roar of the big V8 is awesome in both cars. They both had four wheel steering, which made for really quick track times, and amazing agility on the low traction pads. Launch mode in the Turbo e-Hybrid is nothing short of amazing. It is the fastest accelerating car I have ever driven. The launch mode is impressive engineering, as it kept the wheel spin to a minimum, even though I was unleashing almost 700 HP at its redline. I am glad it was there Panamera rather than mine.

I love my Panamera e-Hybrid, but I am still thinking about the Turbo e-Hybrid. If they are unable to get the parts to repair the GPS in my e-Hybrid, I may have to consider swapping it for a new Turbo e-Hybrid. I am still in a loaner waiting on Germany to ship the parts.
Old 07-07-2018, 07:22 PM
Big Ben
Intermediate

Sriklin,

After driving both the Turbo and Turbo S e-Hybrid, can you compare the difference. I do like my e-hybrid a lot, but it lacks the punch of the v8 I am so accustom too. I know we have 518lbs of torque according to the numbers, but driving in Sport mode and then flooring it is still not the same as the other v8 I have had. Don't get me wrong, I still very much like my e-Hybrid.
Old 07-07-2018, 09:12 PM
FriscoTexasGuy
Instructor

Originally Posted by sriklin
Hey FriscoTexasGuy! I think you and I were both at PECLA the same day. I was there on Saturday, June 30th, and drove both the Panamera Turbo and the Panamera Turbo e-Hybrid. The Turbo e-Hybrid is a BEAST! They had just received the cars last week, and were not officially in their system yet. Johnny, the manager there, is a great guy, and when he heard me raving about the e-Hybrid, he introduced himself. He wanted to hear all about the car in the real world. He was kind enough to ask me if I would like to drive the Turbo e-Hybrid on the course. You bet I said "yes" without any hesitation. The roar of the big V8 is awesome in both cars. They both had four wheel steering, which made for really quick track times, and amazing agility on the low traction pads. Launch mode in the Turbo e-Hybrid is nothing short of amazing. It is the fastest accelerating car I have ever driven. The launch mode is impressive engineering, as it kept the wheel spin to a minimum, even though I was unleashing almost 700 HP at its redline. I am glad it was there Panamera rather than mine.

I love my Panamera e-Hybrid, but I am still thinking about the Turbo e-Hybrid. If they are unable to get the parts to repair the GPS in my e-Hybrid, I may have to consider swapping it for a new Turbo e-Hybrid. I am still in a loaner waiting on Germany to ship the parts.
Hi sriklin - I was actually there in the afternoon on Thursday, July 5th. There were no Turbo or Turbo e-Hybrids to track....but was able to go out in the white 4 e-Hybrid that I posted earlier. I am almost certain that Johnny was the person I spoke with at the reception area about my future MY19 order. The test car was also equipped with rear wheel steering and there is no way my build will not be post with this! I think it is a must have as I also experienced it in low speeds on a Panamera Turbo at the Porsche dealer in New Orleans earlier this week before heading to LA.
Old 07-08-2018, 11:51 AM
cometguy
Burning Brakes

Does anybody know anything about concerns regarding hacking into Porsche key fobs to steal cars?
Do any of you Porsche owners take precautions for this?

Porsche is mentioned in this article on the topic:https://usat.ly/2u25n7B
Old 07-08-2018, 11:20 PM
sriklin
Intermediate

Hi All,
I was already back in Houston on July 5th, as I flew back on the 4th. Sorry we missed each other there. I agree with you on the 4 wheel steering. My e-Hybrid does not have it, but my next one will.
Big Ben, I know where you are coming from, as I went from a 2014 M6 to the e-Hybrid, and going from a 5 liter V8 to the ICE V6 and electric, I do miss the roar. However, the torque of the electric motor is a worthy exchange. Although my twin turbo V8 had no significant turbo lag, the electric torque is amazing. I enjoyed driving the V8 Panamera Turbo, but it cannot compare to the Panamera Turbo e-Hybrid. With the combination of the electric torque with the twin turbo V8, launch mode is something you have to experience. Having launched both cars, the Turbo e-hybrid will pin you back in the drivers seat, and you feel as though you are on the edge of heading to orbit. Yes, the price is extreme, but so is the performance. I have had a string of fun cars, including a Z06 and Viper. For the performance, technology, suspension and driveability, I would take the Panamera Turbo e-Hybrid hands down.
Assuming that Porsche finally ships parts that fix my GPS, I will continue to enjoy my Panamera e-hybrid for a while longer, but that Turbo e-Hybrid will never be far from my mind.
Old 07-09-2018, 12:40 AM
Big Ben
Intermediate

sriklin,

Thank you for your review. The difference of the e-Hybrid and Turbo S Hybrid was about 1K a month. I know that is a lot, but in the over all scheme, if you pay that much you might as well pay an extra 1K and be blown away with the performance.
Looks like I should test drive a Turbo S Hybrid down the road. Thanks for your feedback.
Old 07-09-2018, 12:59 AM
cometguy
Burning Brakes

Smile

Originally Posted by Big Ben
sriklin,

Thank you for your review. The difference of the e-Hybrid and Turbo S Hybrid was about 1K a month. I know that is a lot, but in the over all scheme, if you pay that much you might as well pay an extra 1K and be blown away with the performance.
Looks like I should test drive a Turbo S Hybrid down the road. Thanks for your feedback.
I have the Pan4 ST E-Hybrid. I'm blown away by its performance. On regular city streets and highways, I don't think most people need that extra 100-or-whatever hp in the Turbo E-Hybrid; it's overkill, not necessary.
Old 07-09-2018, 02:16 AM
Big Ben
Intermediate

Cometguy,

Thank you for your feedback.
Old 07-09-2018, 05:13 AM
K777
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by cometguy
Does anybody know anything about concerns regarding hacking into Porsche key fobs to steal cars?
Do any of you Porsche owners take precautions for this?

Porsche is mentioned in this article on the topic: https://usat.ly/2u25n7B
If your concerned you can get these.
I bought some for my guys who have BMW, but mainly if you have comfort access, why they don't even need you to press the key.

Amazon Amazon
Old 07-09-2018, 01:59 PM
cometguy
Burning Brakes

This is a record for me: After charging yesterday (at nearly 2400 miles on the odometer and seven weeks into driving it since newly arrived off the ship), the electric range showed as 31 miles, which is the Porsche-advertised top range for the Panamera 4 E-Hybrid. I'm assuming that the computer is adjusting for my driving style and actual range. I'm going to see how close I can get in real driving miles to this estimated range. (Also, the total consumption listed in the big screen of 36.8 mpg appears to be the total gas consumption since zero miles on the odometer, from what I have calculated.)

Old 07-09-2018, 03:56 PM
SaratogaLefty
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by cometguy
This is a record for me: After charging yesterday (at nearly 2400 miles on the odometer and seven weeks into driving it since newly arrived off the ship), the electric range showed as 31 miles, which is the Porsche-advertised top range for the Panamera 4 E-Hybrid. I'm assuming that the computer is adjusting for my driving style and actual range. I'm going to see how close I can get in real driving miles to this estimated range. (Also, the total consumption listed in the big screen of 36.8 mpg appears to be the total gas consumption since zero miles on the odometer, from what I have calculated.)

I also woke up to a record on my car this morning (see Photo below). Prior to this my highest was 29 miles which I've seen numerous times. Now 34 miles!! I have about 2300 miles on my car as well and a lot of my driving has been using the ICE at rapid acceleration and very high speeds on the freeway. Yesterday took a 100 mile drive from Saratoga up Highway 9 to Skyline Blvd to Page Mill Road (very windy and hilly) to Pescadero for cheese tasting and a leisurely lunch; then over to San Gregorio and back on Woodside road to Skyline and Highway 9 over to the House Winery for a tasting and then home. Beautiful day and fantastic drive. I was surprised that I used up my E mileage multiple times but then when going downhill was able to charge back up and get another 5 miles or so each time. Drove in Normal mode but did have the suspension on the firmest setting. Loving this car more and more every day. Washed it this morning and that is when I discovered the 34 mile range indicated.

Quick Reply: Panamera 4 E-hybrid Owners Thread