Notices
Panamera 2010-Current

Panamera 4 E-hybrid Owners Thread

Old 05-08-2018, 10:07 AM
K777
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by bosch
Great. Thanks. Is there one in the back cubby and in the trunk too?
Yeah theres a 12v in the trunk too
Old 05-08-2018, 02:57 PM
SaratogaLefty
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by rklann
Hi SaratogaLefty, I also just got my 4 Hybrid wrapped with Xpel Ultimate Plus and it looks great. I did a custom wrap on the full front part of the car including mirrors and A-pillars. When I requested that the headlights also be wrapped my installed toll me that Porsche would void the warranty on the headlights if I did. Something to do with a special coating that Porsche applies to the headlights that is removed during the pre-clean process. You might what to double check with your installer. With respect to Ceramic Pro coating, what caused you choose that process and how much does it cost? BTW your car looks great in your posted pictures.
The posted photos were taken when I picked it up from the dealer. At that point it hadn't been to the Detailer and thus didn't have any paint correction, polishing, Xpel Ultimate Plus, or Ceramic Pro. It looks substantially better now but I'm not allowed to wash it for 2 weeks so no new photos for a while. Regarding the headlights, I can't imagine why the Xpel Ultimate Plus would impact the warranty. The lights are perfectly positioned to get hit by rocks/debris so I will take my chances and put the film on them.

I visited four different detailers in the South Bay Area and also contacted one from the North Bay via email. Each of them had a slightly different process and also in some cases different products (e.g. SunTek, 3M, CQuartz, GTechnic, etc.) In my opinion these are all good products but the reason I chose my detailer had more to do with his process. Some of the others used pre-cut patterns whereas my guy cuts his own and oversizes each piece to allow for rolling the edges whereas the pre-cuts I viewed left a fine line just inside the edges and over time I believe that line will show up more and more. The Ceramic Pro Gold Package which I chose consists of 4 coats of Ceramic Pro 9H followed by a fifth coat of Light. The package also includes two coats of "Rain" on all the glass and two coats of Strong on the wheels and calipers. My guy actually removed all the wheels and did them inside and out and he also threw in a leather treatment. Further the Gold Package comes with a "Lifetime guarantee" but to keep it valid you have to bring it in for the Annual inspection and refresh coating of Sport to maintain the warranty. Not a big deal for me as I like to have my cars detailed at least once a year anyway. Also, the Xpel Ultimate Plus now comes with a 10 year warranty. Don't know how good these guarantees are but I am extremely happy with how the car looks and I appreciate the added protection,
Old 05-08-2018, 08:04 PM
ssiminou
Banned

Received 106 Likes on 70 Posts

My sales associate just emailed today! I have officially confirmed allocation of a 2019 Panamera 4 e-Hybrid Executive with 7% off MSRP. Awaiting more details and info...
Old 05-08-2018, 08:08 PM
SaratogaLefty
Pro

Originally Posted by cometguy
It looks like louver has 240-volt charging. So that doesn't seem to be what's causing this problem, in and by itself.
What do you have for charging, rklann and alexander_96 -- 120 V or 240 V?
And do you have 3.6-kW or 7.2-kW onboard chargers?
I have the onboard 7.2 kW charger and I am using a 240 V outlet. Yesterday the car showed 28 miles after full charge. Car now has just under 700 miles on it. No Check Engine light problems.
Old 05-08-2018, 08:11 PM
SaratogaLefty
Pro

Originally Posted by mkke_porsche
Check engine light stayed on for four days. After driving the car and charging it normally the last four days, the check engine light turned off on its own. The only thing I've done differently was charge the battery with a 240V outlet instead of the standard 120V. Electrician installed it yesterday. I am not sure if the 240V outlet used made a difference, but that happened a few hours before the light turned off. I doubt it, to be honest. Used the OEM charger that was included with the car. I called the Service Manager immediately and had an extensive discussion. He told me to try to log all charging activities for him for the next week. Outlet type, battery level at beginning of charge, battery level at end of charge, battery level at time the check engine light comes on again. He said Gen 1 Pano Hybrid was a nightmare as far as the "check engine" light issues. Service manager believes the current issue has to do with a low voltage detection by the system. Which then tends to shut off communication with other systems to preserve charge/battery. I can't say that I fully understand the situation enough to explain it, but was hoping to relay this in hopes that it mirrors any other contributor's Service Dept diagnosis. Will keep you guys posted. Please do share other diagnoses once available.
I am curious. When you use the 240V outlet did your control unit ask you if you wanted to use 50% or 100%? Mine did and I opted for 100%. So far no problems.
Old 05-08-2018, 08:14 PM
SaratogaLefty
Pro

Originally Posted by K777
It does, it did on my previous Panamera, I could just about live with it, but something that didn't yellow would obviously be preferable.

Out of interest how do you ( or your detailer advise) get tar spots off the film ?
I haven't asked about tar spots but I will when I take it back for the 2 week "after curing" followup wash and additional film. I may ask him again to try and take off the Porsche film.
Old 05-09-2018, 02:33 PM
mkke_porsche
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SaratogaLefty
I am curious. When you use the 240V outlet did your control unit ask you if you wanted to use 50% or 100%? Mine did and I opted for 100%. So far no problems.
The OEM charger never asked my about 50% vs. 100%. Since the light turned off by itself on Sunday evening (around Day 6), it has not returned. I have not driven the car any differently than I did the first few days. All electric to and from work. Eighteen miles each way. I can only guess that maybe the sensors needed to be "broken-in" or "self calibrated" for a few days? Fingers crossed that the light doesn't come on again. But in a nutshell, I do not believe I did anything to cause the check engine light to turn off. Will keep all posted. Anyone else who's seeing the check engine have updates?
Old 05-09-2018, 06:53 PM
SaratogaLefty
Pro

Originally Posted by mkke_porsche
The OEM charger never asked my about 50% vs. 100%. Since the light turned off by itself on Sunday evening (around Day 6), it has not returned. I have not driven the car any differently than I did the first few days. All electric to and from work. Eighteen miles each way. I can only guess that maybe the sensors needed to be "broken-in" or "self calibrated" for a few days? Fingers crossed that the light doesn't come on again. But in a nutshell, I do not believe I did anything to cause the check engine light to turn off. Will keep all posted. Anyone else who's seeing the check engine have updates?
So are you saying you are getting over 36 miles on electric only? This morning mine indicated 27 miles after full charge when I left. Actually got about 23 miles. 50% freeway at 70 mph and the rest at 55 mph on surface road with multiple stops for traffic lights. Hoping it will get better soon.
Old 05-09-2018, 07:18 PM
cometguy
Burning Brakes

Received 219 Likes on 154 Posts

So are you saying you are getting over 36 miles on electric only? This morning mine indicated 27 miles after full charge when I left. Actually got about 23 miles. 50% freeway at 70 mph and the rest at 55 mph on surface road with multiple stops for traffic lights. Hoping it will get better soon.
So how long was your morning drive? more than 23 miles, I'm presuming... You went all-electric until it ran out after 23 miles? Then I'm guessing it went to Hybrid Auto, and did the ICE then stay on the rest of the commute, or was there enough electric juice from regen braking and coasting to occasionally revert back to E mode?
Old 05-09-2018, 07:26 PM
mkke_porsche
6th Gear

Sorry, I really need to clarify. I have a charger at work as well. When I leave home in the morning, fully charged, it tells me I have 26, sometimes 27 miles of range. With the exception of 2 local/street miles, it's all freeway, at about 75-80 mph on the freeway. By the time I get to work, I have about 2 miles of range left. So the 26 mile range indicator when I leave my garage isn't really accurate. I then plug in at work, and charge for my return commute, which gives me an indicator of 26-27 miles again. By the time I get home, its about 1 or 2 miles left. I've been able to basically go all electric for work. Having the 240V chargers at both ends really help. There really is not much regen braking when you drive on the freeway. The little that I get on the street is not enough to add to battery level. At most, it reduces the rate of decrease of battery level.
Old 05-09-2018, 08:22 PM
SaratogaLefty
Pro

Originally Posted by cometguy
So how long was your morning drive? more than 23 miles, I'm presuming... You went all-electric until it ran out after 23 miles? Then I'm guessing it went to Hybrid Auto, and did the ICE then stay on the rest of the commute, or was there enough electric juice from regen braking and coasting to occasionally revert back to E mode?
I drove to the pool where I swim and then to my golf course; about 14 miles. Then after I played golf I drove home; about 12 miles. Made it almost all the way home but the battery wound down to about 1 miles with about 2 miles to go. I got a message indicating E power no longer available and the ICE kicked on. I actually wouldn't have noticed if I didn't see the tachometer start up. When I got off the freeway and stopped at a light motor went back off. Then started out in E mode again for a short distance and ICE came back on until I got home. You are correct, when the battery ran down, the car automatically switched to Hybrid mode.
Old 05-09-2018, 08:57 PM
Pana TJ
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I drove to the pool where I swim and then to my golf course; about 14 miles. Then after I played golf I drove home; about 12 miles. Made it almost all the way home but the battery wound down to about 1 miles with about 2 miles to go. I got a message indicating E power no longer available and the ICE kicked on. I actually wouldn't have noticed if I didn't see the tachometer start up. When I got off the freeway and stopped at a light motor went back off. Then started out in E mode again for a short distance and ICE came back on until I got home. You are correct, when the battery ran down, the car automatically switched to Hybrid mode.
Completely off the topic of range in E-mode... Saratoga, you mentioned your golf trip. Do you take your clubs with you or are they stored at the Club? How do the clubs fit under the rear hatch? I am concerned about how they will fit without the cutouts behind the wheel wells that are eliminated due to the battery for the Hybrid. The few quick measurements I took indicate I should have no problem, but interested in your experience. Thanks
Old 05-09-2018, 10:39 PM
mutiny22183
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Pana TJ
Completely off the topic of range in E-mode... Saratoga, you mentioned your golf trip. Do you take your clubs with you or are they stored at the Club? How do the clubs fit under the rear hatch? I am concerned about how they will fit without the cutouts behind the wheel wells that are eliminated due to the battery for the Hybrid. The few quick measurements I took indicate I should have no problem, but interested in your experience. Thanks
I haul my club around in my e-hybrid and I can’t get my bag to fix horizontally across the trunk, instead they fit diagonally. I have been able to fit 2 bags diagonally and close the hatch without a problem.
Old 05-09-2018, 10:45 PM
James Walker
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

There is no problem putting clubs in the Sport Turismo but I noticed today that of the 212 Sport Turismos listed on Cars.com there were no e-hybrids. A curious but fun fact.
Old 05-09-2018, 11:13 PM
cometguy
Burning Brakes

Received 219 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by James Walker
There is no problem putting clubs in the Sport Turismo but I noticed today that of the 212 Sport Turismos listed on Cars.com there were no e-hybrids. A curious but fun fact.
That is interesting. I looked a little deeper, and found that there are listed 113 ST Turbos, 64 Sport Turismo 4S, and 31 Sport Turismo 4 cars listed there. That's amazing: almost 4 times as many Turbos as base 4 cars, at average price of about 1.5-1.7 times more. Doesn't make a lot of sense.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Panamera 4 E-hybrid Owners Thread