Notices
Panamera 2010-Current

Panamera 4 E-hybrid Owners Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2018, 04:21 PM
fgv1it
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

You guys crack me up... After driving a 4S for about ten months, I am still trying to figure out what you are talking about. There is no turbo lag.
Old 02-19-2018, 10:31 PM
911topanamera
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by fgv1it
You guys crack me up... After driving a 4S for about ten months, I am still trying to figure out what you are talking about. There is no turbo lag.
I test drove the 4S before I ordered the ehybrid. Def a monster and coming from a 911 NA engine, it feels like immediate power. Curious to see how the ehbyrid is since Ive never even drive a Tesla. Hope its great..
Old 02-20-2018, 04:40 AM
ajriches01
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

GT3 - yes, aside from in eCharge mode, there is always electric punch.

I want to see a 911 C2S versus e-Hybrid to 30 - I'd bet good money the Hybrid would have it (especially if a cold day!!).
Old 02-20-2018, 08:22 AM
MM3.9GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by ajriches01
GT3 - yes, aside from in eCharge mode, there is always electric punch.

I want to see a 911 C2S versus e-Hybrid to 30 - I'd bet good money the Hybrid would have it (especially if a cold day!!).

Thanks. That is exactly what I wanted to know.
Old 02-20-2018, 03:55 PM
thorfun
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SaratogaLefty
FINALLY!!!!

Just heard from PCNA that the 2018 Panamera E-Hybrid has received EPA approval. Also heard from my contact at CARB that he expects full approval by next Tuesday. Car should be delivered to my Dealer in LA by the end of next week!! I'm really hoping this isn't another false hope but I think this time it is really going to happen.
congratulations! I’ll keep my fingers crossed you get it. It will be worth the wait. I love my car every time I see it and drive it.
Old 02-20-2018, 04:34 PM
sriklin
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I heard from my sales rep, a Porsche Ambassador, and I just hung up with PCNA. Neither had any knowledge of any EPA certification having occurred. I am hope there will be something concrete coming through the Porsche system this week. My Porsche letter said to expect my car in April, but with Friday's posts, I was hoping for sooner.
Old 02-20-2018, 05:59 PM
appenzell
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SaratogaLefty
Well since today is President's Day, I'm guessing that all government (including the ports) offices are closed. So hopefully you will hear something from your Dealer in the next few days. CARB signature will possibly come tomorrow as I believe their office is also closed today. Anyway, bottom line is we should all be receiving our cars in the next few weeks depending upon how long it takes to get them out of customs and onto a truck and over to our dealers and then how long for them to complete the PDI work including all the software and firmware updates. I believe they have some incentive to try to get us our cars by 2/28 to count for February but that may be wishful thinking.
@SaratogaLefty - I hope you have some good news today from your contact at CARB. I am sure you have been bugging him all day
Old 02-20-2018, 07:12 PM
Wilson Laidlaw
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

My Panamera 4 E-Hybrid new at the end of October 2017 and done so far 750 miles has had more problems in the first three months than my 997 Turbo S had in 11 years.

1) Failed security GPS system, requiring replacement of aerial module and GPS control module
2) Erratic behaviour of powered tailgate. Sometimes it will not open from rear handle or key, sometimes it will. No longer closing from door button. Sometimes only part closes using either button on tailgate - false detection of impediment. I have disabled gesture control as the tailgate closed on me twice, while I was putting away the charging cable.
3) Indicated electric range has never exceeded 21 miles even on a warm day when fully charged. What has happened to the stated 31 miles?
4) Oil level being shown as over full in spite of my never adding oil
5) Horrible graunching noises on full lock low speed manoeuvring
6) Sticking fuel filler flap
7) Very stiff charge port cap both to lock and unlock: has to be thumped hard for either and it is making my arthritic hands sore. Flap sometimes does not unlock with tailgate and I have to unlock the whole car
8) Rattle in central console.

This is the sort of thing you expect from Alfa Romeo not Porsche.

I just hope my dealer can get it all sorted before I leave for my French house for the summer, at the beginning of April. All rather disappointing.

Wilson
Old 02-20-2018, 07:16 PM
lbcgolf
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by MM3.9GT3

Thanks. That is exactly what I wanted to know.
Ha! I have a NA 991.1 C2S and have a PST e-Hybrid on order. But I don't think I'll be driving them to the Pomona Fairgrounds or Fontana to see if I could use their dragstrip, lol. Pretty sure that owing to the AWD and the jolt off the line from the e-motor, the Panny will beat the 991 by a decent margin.
Old 02-21-2018, 04:17 AM
ajriches01
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lbc - great, and I would pay to watch it do so

Wilson
1) This has worsened for me recently also, maybe as a result of a maps update. I am going to raise a ticket with the servicing guys.
2) No issue
3) Last summer mine was up to 25. This is always an estimate and depending on temp + roads you are driving on will either get nowhere near it or maybe over. At the moment, with 5 degrees outside, the battery is getting like 10 miles total in mixed driving - I just hope the temperature increase will restore the summer's range.
4) Will go away - new cars get this.
5) No issue
6) Actually has happened once. Otherwise it is generally a bizarre system of press button and wait - 5 + seconds?!
7) Agree, I thump it every morning.
8) No issue

Is yours booked in? I'd be interested to hear your result before booking-in mine.
Old 02-21-2018, 04:44 AM
Wilson Laidlaw
Racer

My E-Hybrid is booked in for rectification but like most dealers, they have cut back on the number of cars they keep as courtesy cars, so when I booked it in, some 10 days ago, the earliest date I could get alternative transport was March 8th. I should have added to the faults list, that the oil level measuring facility does not appear to be working. It just sits there working away but with no result. My 997 would sometimes say "oil too cold to measure" but the Panamera is saying nothing. It is not as if there is a dipstick, where you could get an idea of the condition of the oil to check for things like fuel contamination (oil smells of fuel), excess condensation or water in the oil.

I would admit that a number of my journeys since buying have been quite short but I always try to do those in E mode to avoid starting the engine for brief periods. This was one of my motives for buying the new hybrid model, otherwise I would have gone for an ex-demo/low mileage Turbo S.

On the indicated electric mileage, I don't expect to achieve this of course, unless I drive like a geriatric vicar up and down a dead flat airport runway. However I would expect the indicated theoretical mileage to get rather nearer the stated 31 miles on a warmish day. My dealership agrees on this point. I have just topped off the charge this morning with my 7 kW charger. It is 9ºC (48ºF) outside and the indicated max theoretical electric mileage is only 20 miles (64% of what it should be).
Old 02-21-2018, 06:06 AM
thorfun
Racer

Originally Posted by Wilson Laidlaw
My E-Hybrid is booked in for rectification but like most dealers, they have cut back on the number of cars they keep as courtesy cars, so when I booked it in, some 10 days ago, the earliest date I could get alternative transport was March 8th. I should have added to the faults list, that the oil level measuring facility does not appear to be working. It just sits there working away but with no result. My 997 would sometimes say "oil too cold to measure" but the Panamera is saying nothing. It is not as if there is a dipstick, where you could get an idea of the condition of the oil to check for things like fuel contamination (oil smells of fuel), excess condensation or water in the oil.

I would admit that a number of my journeys since buying have been quite short but I always try to do those in E mode to avoid starting the engine for brief periods. This was one of my motives for buying the new hybrid model, otherwise I would have gone for an ex-demo/low mileage Turbo S.

On the indicated electric mileage, I don't expect to achieve this of course, unless I drive like a geriatric vicar up and down a dead flat airport runway. However I would expect the indicated theoretical mileage to get rather nearer the stated 31 miles on a warmish day. My dealership agrees on this point. I have just topped off the charge this morning with my 7 kW charger. It is 9ºC (48ºF) outside and the indicated max theoretical electric mileage is only 20 miles (64% of what it should be).
I had issues with both my filler caps and had both replaced and are now no bother at all. Once they replace yours those issues should go away!

20 miles electric range in 9 degrees C is about right and what I get in mine. it depletes quicker in the winter with the heated steering wheel and heated seats on etc. if you're doing journeys of around 20 miles or more each way then putting it in hybrid mode usually returns around 40-45mpg if you're not driving hard which is acceptable for me for that sort of journey. obviously, when you're having fun then the mpg drops considerably!
Old 02-21-2018, 06:58 AM
Wilson Laidlaw
Racer

Originally Posted by thorfun
I had issues with both my filler caps and had both replaced and are now no bother at all. Once they replace yours those issues should go away!

20 miles electric range in 9 degrees C is about right and what I get in mine. it depletes quicker in the winter with the heated steering wheel and heated seats on etc. if you're doing journeys of around 20 miles or more each way then putting it in hybrid mode usually returns around 40-45mpg if you're not driving hard which is acceptable for me for that sort of journey. obviously, when you're having fun then the mpg drops considerably!
I presume you get yours serviced at Burgess Hill as well. I have told them that just lubricating the flaps only works for a few days so not just to do that again. Hopefully like yours, they will replace both flaps.

It was not the actual electric range I was concerned about if was that even on a warm day, (16º+) the theoretical indicated range was only creeping up to 22 miles from say 20 miles at 9º. Extrapolating that, it would need to be around 60ºC before I got a full 31 miles indicated charge!

Wilson
Old 02-21-2018, 07:08 AM
thorfun
Racer

Originally Posted by Wilson Laidlaw
I presume you get yours serviced at Burgess Hill as well. I have told them that just lubricating the flaps only works for a few days so not just to do that again. Hopefully like yours, they will replace both flaps.

It was not the actual electric range I was concerned about if was that even on a warm day, (16º+) the theoretical indicated range was only creeping up to 22 miles from say 20 miles at 9º. Extrapolating that, it would need to be around 60ºC before I got a full 31 miles indicated charge!

Wilson
yep. Burgess Hill for me. I'd be surprised if they didn't replace them as I believe Porsche released new parts as there were these issues with the original ones released with the car.

it seems so long ago that we had 16 degrees in this country that I can't remember what my theoretical mileage was! I think it was about 25 miles though. I agree that the stated 31 miles is misleading but the previous gen s-e hyrbid stated 22 miles but when I test drove one the indicator was showing 11 miles at a full charge. maybe on a warm day with nothing else running if the car had been driven like miss daisy it's entire life the theoretical mileage might creep up to 31 miles but who ever does that! it's like them stating it will do 105mpg. ha ha....as if! ;-)

when my car was last in at Burgess Hill I took them up on the offer to do the walk around checks with the technician. was very interesting chatting with him for about an hour about the car. very informative. I recommend it.
Old 02-21-2018, 07:37 AM
Wilson Laidlaw
Racer

I know the folks at Burgess Hill pretty well having had a number of Porsches over the years. However still waiting for them to phone back since yesterday afternoon about the oil overfilled issue and the total failure of the tailgate to open.

Quick Reply: Panamera 4 E-hybrid Owners Thread