Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

Panamera 4 E-hybrid Owners Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2020, 12:12 PM
K777
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by SaratogaLefty
Thanks for confirming. Two others have also confirmed. I think K777 was mistaken when he said his car does electric only in eight gear.
I am, tested it yesterday. Stayed in 7th at 84mph, downhill coasting too.
Sorry about that, cant believe i have never noticed.

Old 06-08-2020, 12:14 PM
K777
Racer

Originally Posted by Wilson Laidlaw
I have the sport exhaust on my 4 E-Hybrid. It was ordered by the original customer whose order I t took over, when he was unable to complete after delivery to the dealer (it saved me waiting 5 months for my order). I find it embarrassingly noisy, not a nice noise and the fake crackles and bangs are just childish. The only time mine is on, is if I use the 20 second Sport button on the Manettino. I have a custom setting for Sport, which has the exhaust turned off. There are lots of things I would have spent the money on rather than the sport exhaust, like a rear screen wiper, a stowable tow hitch and four wheel steering but I got such a good deal on taking over the order, it was irresistible.

Wilson
Interestingly my June 2019 doesn't bang and gurgle like my previous 12/2017 did.

Old 06-08-2020, 12:18 PM
K777
Racer

Originally Posted by Jdsmoke
Has any hybrid owner upgraded to the sport exhaust? I don’t have it and I I’m thinking of upgrading. I had the feature on my Cayenne and loved it.
Last year someone helped me bin mine into a wall and so needed a new car asap.
One of the new cars available didn't have sports exhaust, which I wanted, the dealer said he could fit it at the option price in his workshop if I ordered that car.
I ordered a different car in the end.
But seems to be easily done at a Porsche dealership.
Old 06-08-2020, 01:18 PM
SaratogaLefty
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by K777
I am, tested it yesterday. Stayed in 7th at 84mph, downhill coasting too.
Sorry about that, cant believe i have never noticed.
Its an easy thing to miss since it drives so smooth on electric only power. I'm not sure why it stays in 7th gear as I would think upshifting to 8th gear would improve the mileage but maybe I'm wrong.
Old 06-08-2020, 01:22 PM
SaratogaLefty
Pro

I have the sport exhaust on my 4 E-Hybrid. It was ordered by the original customer whose order I t took over, when he was unable to complete after delivery to the dealer (it saved me waiting 5 months for my order). I find it embarrassingly noisy, not a nice noise and the fake crackles and bangs are just childish. The only time mine is on, is if I use the 20 second Sport button on the Manettino. I have a custom setting for Sport, which has the exhaust turned off. There are lots of things I would have spent the money on rather than the sport exhaust, like a rear screen wiper, a stowable tow hitch and four wheel steering but I got such a good deal on taking over the order, it was irresistible.

Wilson
If the sport exhaust actually increased the horsepower then maybe I would have considered it on my order. But to spend that much just for additional noise made no sense to me. Obviously its a matter of personal choice. Apparently Porsche has included a noise maker on the Taycan as well which makes even less sense to me. If I'm buying an electric car why would I want to have piped in fake engine noise???
The following 2 users liked this post by SaratogaLefty:
MKC91 (06-08-2020), Wilson Laidlaw (06-10-2020)
Old 06-09-2020, 04:11 AM
K777
Racer

If the sport exhaust actually increased the horsepower then maybe I would have considered it on my order. But to spend that much just for additional noise made no sense to me. Obviously its a matter of personal choice. Apparently Porsche has included a noise maker on the Taycan as well which makes even less sense to me. If I'm buying an electric car why would I want to have piped in fake engine noise???
I have a Taycan Turbo on order, due November, and now have a test drive booked Saturday.
I have spec'd the noise, but will see what i think as its not locked in yet.
Its not ICE noise though, not sure if you now that.
Old 06-09-2020, 04:13 AM
K777
Racer

Its an easy thing to miss since it drives so smooth on electric only power. I'm not sure why it stays in 7th gear as I would think upshifting to 8th gear would improve the mileage but maybe I'm wrong.
Definitely doesn't make sense until someone explains it to me, need to see what happens with engine on in 8th at high speed then coast see what happens when engine goes off. Need a trip to Germany again.
Old 06-09-2020, 05:01 AM
Johnny5Alive
Burning Brakes

Received 327 Likes on 132 Posts

Considering that people regularly spend thousands of dollars on exhaust for their Porsche’s that has been proven to not add power and in some cases decrease power, I’d hardly call the Panamera sport exhaust a waste of money.

This is entirely a matter of preference. Also, porsche sport exhaust sounds better in most cases than aftermarket to my ear, given I prefer a smooth but more aggressive sound.

I always spec them on my Porsche’s and retrofit them on the ones that don’t come with it. (Except the GT3 where I had it standard and still added akrapovic.)

If you’re the type of driver to ask about this, then my guess would be that you’d appreciate it. Personally, I love the sound, and on sporty cars, the sound is a big part of the experience to me. I Spec’d it on mine and would do it again. Adds to the cars character and you also get the sport pipes, which I think look better.

on my last Panamera 971 base 2017 lease, it didn’t have it because we picked it off the lot, and retrofit seemed silly on a lease. The car is so much more fun and interesting with it.

I think you should test drive it with and without if you can and then decide. If you can’t find an w hybrid with it, I’m sure you could find a 4S with it, which has virtually the same engine sans the electric motor.
Old 06-09-2020, 10:44 AM
Rgwirtz
Instructor

Received 137 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Rgwirtz
Was installation easy to do for the painted side markers? I heard that you had to take off the front bumper? Please post a photo of your installed lights thanks!
Replying to myself, but I wanted to give a shout out to Lamin-x for the side marker laminate. Took about 5 minutes to install and looks great (I think even better than the clear markers and my dealer told me install of clears requires taking off the bumper).

Old 06-09-2020, 10:47 AM
Rgwirtz
Instructor

Received 137 Likes on 63 Posts

And this was before . . .

Old 06-09-2020, 12:43 PM
SaratogaLefty
Pro

Originally Posted by K777
I have a Taycan Turbo on order, due November, and now have a test drive booked Saturday.
I have spec'd the noise, but will see what i think as its not locked in yet.
Its not ICE noise though, not sure if you now that.
Yes I am aware of that; I've watched many videos on YouTube of test drives and I've seen it run with the noise on and off. It just doesn't make any sense to me but that is just my opinion. If I buy the Taycan I want the driving experience to be as quiet as possible and I certainly won't pay extra to have fake noise piped in. I would prefer to spend the money on insulated glass or other amenities to improve the quality of the interior and diminish the intrusion of outside noise. Again, just my opinion; to each his/her own.
Old 06-10-2020, 04:53 AM
Wilson Laidlaw
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Talking of noise, I am sure that when I first got my Hybrid, it had a menu option to switch on a pedestrian warning noise in electric mode, which was a sort of 'whooshing" TV spaceship noise. This seems to have disappeared from the menu (or at least moved to a hidden location) on one of the many software updates. I worry about this, especially in multi-story car parks where folks just don't hear me coming, so I always have to be 100% alert, eagle eyed and creep around like on a funeral procession.

Wilson
Old 06-10-2020, 05:59 AM
K777
Racer

Originally Posted by Rgwirtz
Replying to myself, but I wanted to give a shout out to Lamin-x for the side marker laminate. Took about 5 minutes to install and looks great (I think even better than the clear markers and my dealer told me install of clears requires taking off the bumper).

Much nicer.

Old 06-10-2020, 06:02 AM
K777
Racer

Yes I am aware of that; I've watched many videos on YouTube of test drives and I've seen it run with the noise on and off. It just doesn't make any sense to me but that is just my opinion. If I buy the Taycan I want the driving experience to be as quiet as possible and I certainly won't pay extra to have fake noise piped in. I would prefer to spend the money on insulated glass or other amenities to improve the quality of the interior and diminish the intrusion of outside noise. Again, just my opinion; to each his/her own.
I understand you, but I find some of the clonks and clunks heard without an engine noise to cover them up a bit disappointing. Such as occasional pedal noise, or gear changing noise. Not saying its bad, but its there sometimes.
Old 06-10-2020, 06:04 AM
K777
Racer

Talking of noise, I am sure that when I first got my Hybrid, it had a menu option to switch on a pedestrian warning noise in electric mode, which was a sort of 'whooshing" TV spaceship noise. This seems to have disappeared from the menu (or at least moved to a hidden location) on one of the many software updates. I worry about this, especially in multi-story car parks where folks just don't hear me coming, so I always have to be 100% alert, eagle eyed and creep around like on a funeral procession.

Wilson
Can't recall seeing it on any of mine since 2015.
Occasionally I have had to turn the engine on to get peoples attention if they are aimlessly walking up the middle of a carpark.
As for multi-storey, its engine on for me, always.

Quick Reply: Panamera 4 E-hybrid Owners Thread