Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

Panamera 4 E-hybrid Owners Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2018, 10:10 AM
Pana TJ
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ssiminou
Pana TJ, could you please do me a big favor to relieve me of some anxiety? I see from your code that you optioned "3Y8", which are the shades for the rear compartment and the rear windows. From photos, I saw that your car has this. I selected this too, and it's on my code and my printed configuration, but on the dealer build sheet which is separate from the code (it lists the VIN and the dealers name, etc), for option 3Y8 only says "Power Sunshades for Rear Compartment". At the time, I emailed him and told him to triple check this, because I only cared about the window shades, but since it's on a boat, I can't verify these things for myself through real life photos of the car. He said his gm said it's not necessary on the order because it's included. Thinking back, I'm not sure if he meant that it's included in that particular options, or included as in "standard".

I'm asking you because you're the only one with an executive hybrid, and it appears that there are two options for shades in the other cars.

Is there anyway you can take a look at your real build sheet (with the commission number) and see what it says? If my car doesn't have it on delivery day, I won't take the keys. That's how much this matters to me.
Sam, I looked at my Build Sheet. (It dose have the Commission Number but it does not have the VIN.) And it does show option "3Y8" "Power sun blinds for rear compartment". On the configuration sheet, it lists the option with the description "Power Sunblind for Rear Compartment incl. Power Sunblind for Rear Side Windows". So my listing is the same as yours. Configuration sheet includes the rear side windows in the description and the Build Sheet only says "rear compartment". My car was delivered with both the rear shade and the 2 side shades. I think you will be OK. I appreciate your paying attention to the details and getting things corrected before too late. I hope this helps and let me know if I can help with anything else. Good Luck.
Old 10-01-2018, 11:02 AM
FriscoTexasGuy
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

For those ordering 2019 model year, have you heard any production news from your dealer?
Old 10-01-2018, 02:57 PM
ssiminou
Banned

Received 106 Likes on 70 Posts

FriscoTexasGuy,

When you say you’re ordering a MY19, what does you build sheet/Porsche online configuration say? If you go to your Code and on the summary page press print, selecting everything, right before the options it lists a MY. I checked the hybrid (Executive & non-executive) and it still says MY18...

Maybe it just has to be updated?
Old 10-01-2018, 05:11 PM
FriscoTexasGuy
Instructor

FriscoTexasGuy,

When you say you’re ordering a MY19, what does you build sheet/Porsche online configuration say? If you go to your Code and on the summary page press print, selecting everything, right before the options it lists a MY. I checked the hybrid (Executive & non-executive) and it still says MY18...

You are correct. The US configrator stills shows builds as MY18. My dealer advised me that they are unable to get the MY19 codes until Porsche announces their 2019 lineup. I am unable to get a commission number until this occurs.
Old 10-01-2018, 05:32 PM
ssiminou
Banned

Isn’t there an article saying that they’ve stopped hybrid production in Europe because of the WLTP requirements? Hybrids are tested differently, and it might result in less tax-incentives going to businesses in Germany, etc, which would in result hurt the hybrid’s sales/market share.

But since they’re not accepting any additional orders for Hybrids in Europe, I think it’s going to be quite a while until the hybrid ‘19s are allocated and given even here in the US.
Old 10-01-2018, 05:58 PM
FriscoTexasGuy
Instructor

FriscoTexasGuy,

Isn’t there an article saying that they’ve stopped hybrid production in Europe because of the WLTP requirements? Hybrids are tested differently, and it might result in less tax-incentives going to businesses in Germany, etc, which would in result hurt the hybrid’s sales/market share.

But since they’re not accepting any additional orders for Hybrids in Europe, I think it’s going to be quite a while until the hybrid ‘19s are allocated and given even here in the US.
I am not sure how this will impact the US market. My dealer only has 2 allocations for MY19 for delivery in December. I have one of the allocations. Time will tell....
Old 10-01-2018, 06:11 PM
ssiminou
Banned

No commission number but December delivery? I was told that if I want a MY19, it’d be March-April 2019.

If your delivery is in December, your car should be finishing production soon with a VIN on the way...
Old 10-01-2018, 09:32 PM
FriscoTexasGuy
Instructor

No commission number but December delivery? I was told that if I want a MY19, it’d be March-April 2019.

If your delivery is in December, your car should be finishing production soon with a VIN on the way...
I agree with the delivery timing. Likely late Feb. to mid-March.
Old 10-02-2018, 01:22 PM
ssiminou
Banned

Current Hybrid or Non-Hybrid Owners,

Is the PDK downshifting in the lower gears still clunky? I saw a thread where someone took his car into service on a PDK Campaign and an update was made.

Is the Gas Cap and/or Electric Filler Cap still sticking? This seemed to be an issue for a lot of owners earlier this year, but I’m wondering if they changed the design halfway through the year or issued a fix. I even saw a thread where someone said the car only fills up to 3/4, but that seems to be limited to him.

Does the PCM display periodically turn black, either in the front or back? This seemed to happy on earlier cars as well, but I haven’t heard complaints about it in a while.

Any other common, annoying issues I should be aware of? I hope the later VIN cars were built better, and that the earlier cars get fixed. If this car were solely for me, I wouldn’t care about this issues, but I want my wife to be as comfortable as possible.

My goal is to make sure the person who handles the PEC Delivery Cars performs all fixes or applicable campaigns/updates. I remember that my 2014 Panamera S was kinda clunky in lower gears and it was annoying at times because it made it unpredictable at times, but its transmission failed twice in the first year...
Old 10-02-2018, 03:24 PM
Pana TJ
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Current Hybrid or Non-Hybrid Owners,

Is the PDK downshifting in the lower gears still clunky? I saw a thread where someone took his car into service on a PDK Campaign and an update was made.

Is the Gas Cap and/or Electric Filler Cap still sticking? This seemed to be an issue for a lot of owners earlier this year, but I’m wondering if they changed the design halfway through the year or issued a fix. I even saw a thread where someone said the car only fills up to 3/4, but that seems to be limited to him.

Does the PCM display periodically turn black, either in the front or back? This seemed to happy on earlier cars as well, but I haven’t heard complaints about it in a while.

Any other common, annoying issues I should be aware of? I hope the later VIN cars were built better, and that the earlier cars get fixed. If this car were solely for me, I wouldn’t care about this issues, but I want my wife to be as comfortable as possible.

My goal is to make sure the person who handles the PEC Delivery Cars performs all fixes or applicable campaigns/updates. I remember that my 2014 Panamera S was kinda clunky in lower gears and it was annoying at times because it made it unpredictable at times, but its transmission failed twice in the first year...
With just over 1,000 miles on my Hybrid I can report the following... Both the gas lid and the charge plug lid operate flawlessly, never had an issue with opening or closing. I have not experienced any kind of clunking with the transmission in any of the gears. No problems filling the tank (only did it once). PCM has not blacked out at any time. I did notice that it seemed to take a little longer to boot up on start-up one time. No other issues of any significance. Going in Thursday for my second delivery. Most of my questions will be about the device management and apple carplay.
Old 10-02-2018, 06:57 PM
cometguy
Burning Brakes

Received 229 Likes on 158 Posts

My charge-port door is a bit finicky, in that sometimes it takes an extra push to close or open (the most difficult "fuel" door I've ever had on a car when new), but it's not a big deal to me.
My gas-port door is used much less often while I'm around home (charge-port door used every day, while gas-port door used only once every 3-4 weeks, though I used it daily when I was on my cross-country tripo), but it doesn't seem so finicky to me. However, I reported on my trip posting for my 2018 Panamera E-Hybrid that I encountered a gas-filling problem:

When filling up on gas, I found that if you push the button on the door to open the gas-filler door, it apparently does more than just open the door. It also seems to "prep" the car to "receive gasoline". I found this out when it took a while to enter my credit-card details at the pump (this happened two different fill-ups before I figured this all out), and it evidently took so long that the car's "fill-up" time expired! What happened is that I started pumping gas, but the car wouldn't accept more than a few tenths of a gallon at a time, and the pump would stop. I thought the first time that the pump had a problem. But the second time (second pump), I realized that the car was shutting down the ability to accept gasoline -- very bizarre. Once I figured out that there is some time limit on pushing the button before starting to put gas in the car's tank, I had no more problems. Has anybody else noted this strange quirk in our 2018 Panameras? (I never noticed such a thing in my 2015 Panamera -- which, by the way, I never took on a cross-country trip, driving it only in the northeast, due primarily to its lacking adaptive cruise control.)

I also reported in that posting about some shifting problems (which don't happen much), whereby I was in Hybrid Auto or Sport mode and I stepped on the gas hard to pass a car or get on an expressway, and the engine stayed at too-high revs (like 4000 rpm) after I let off the accelerator. It worried me the couple times that it happened, but after a bit the car shifted back down. I'll have that looked at also when I bring the car in for normal maintenance in a few months, as it hasn't recurred in several weeks.

I also reported this on another thread (along with some design flaws in the night-vision infrared camera/screen):
I had soft-close doors in my 2015 Panamera, and I decided that I could live without that option in my 2018 Panamera when decided what to include and what not to, to keep the costs lower. But it's perhaps the one feature that I'd have kept because the doors on my 2018 car just don't close easily, and my wife is frustrated at how often she doesn't close her passenger door tightly enough the first time. I don't know if this is a problem just in my 2018 car, or if it's a general Panamera problem (doors not closing easily without soft-close option).

I've not had problems with my computer screens, knock on wood -- nor problems with the front axle (air suspension) when going over speed bumps that I experienced with my 2015 Panamera 4. However, my Homelink still doesn't work with my garage-door opener, despite spending much time on the phone with a Homelink tech while trying to program my car (low-priority item that I may get fixed at some point with a module replacement), and as I've written elsewhere, my intermittent "automatic rain-detecting" wipers don't always work well when there is light rain (not a huge issue to me, either). And I thought that SiriusXM is very poor for the price, so I elected to let the free subscription lapse and don't miss it at all. I think there are one or two other items in the computer menu that don't seem to work -- but nothing that really bothers me (this was discussed on another thread also, where there are others who find the same). With one odd exception on my long road trip -- in a rural farm area in southern Minnesota for just a few miles -- the accuracy of the map and my location on the map has been flawless and impressive. I lost the traffic-flow colors evidently at the same time that I lost the SiriusXM subscription -- which is curious -- but I don't miss it because it's seriously flawed (only works for divided highways or roads with many lanes, and seems to seriously lag Google Maps in terms of the updating of the colors when traffic flow changes); I wish all cars would allow Google Maps to be posted on their screens, if not through the car system then through your smartphone (I hear that Volvo now allows this with Apple CarPlay).
Old 10-06-2018, 02:41 PM
Galavanta
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have just found another benefit to having a hybrid car. I was told that the drive battery and the 12v battery were totally independent of each other but it turns out that that is not the case. I recently installed a dash cam and and one of the settings I have is to cut off parking mode when the car battery gets down to 12v, I then found that when the battery is at 12v and I turn on the ignition (not starting the ICE) the 12v climbs back up to high 13v, very cool!!! that means as long as we have a little voltage in the drive battery we should never have a dead 12v starting battery which I used to get all the time on my 911’s.
If anyone wants to install a BlackVue DR900S-2CH 4K Dash Cam and a Power Magic Pro let me know and I can take some pics of mine so it may help you.
Old 10-07-2018, 01:03 AM
ssiminou
Banned

Has anyone who financed their Panamera Hybrid know about the different ways it can be deducted in our taxes? The GVWR is over 6,000 lbs for the Hybrid Executive, but it's not a SUV.

Any CPA know about how much I can deduct for a non-SUV passenger car over 6k lbs? I read somewhere that it's like 18k the first year, then 16k, then 9k...

Edit: I just checked the GVWR for the regular Hybrid, and it's 5,974 lbs, so just under the point where it'd be considered heavy. But since they're both not SUVs, maybe it doesn't even matter.

Last edited by ssiminou; 10-07-2018 at 03:17 AM.
Old 10-07-2018, 11:43 AM
jnolan
Pro

Received 73 Likes on 47 Posts

Section 179 is specific as to the qualifying factors for passenger vehicles that are not SUVs or crossovers. The Panamera does not seat 9 or have 6 feet of cargo space. I’m not a CPA and you should not take tax advice from a car forum, but I am a business owner and I exercise the tax code to the maximum.
Old 10-07-2018, 11:58 PM
ssiminou
Banned

I also checked the GVWR's for the 4 E-Hybrid ST and all of the Turbo S variants, and they all have a GVWR of over 6k lbs. The IRS law seems vague, only defining the cars eligible for the 100% depreciate by the GVWR and a few other limitations. According to the two below snippets from the IRS, these five Hybrids are technically not passenger automobiles. I wouldn't call them SUVs either, so it's a really gray area that should definitely be talked with your CPA. Just wanted to include it for those of us who may qualify.

________________________________________________________________________ ___________________________________________________________________

Quick Reply: Panamera 4 E-hybrid Owners Thread