Carbon Ceramic Rotor Replacement for Panamera

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2016, 10:52 AM
RacingBrake
Former Vendor

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Carbon Ceramic Rotor Replacement for Panamera

Hello,

RacingBrake is a sponsor of rennlist and we have been presenting our CCB for 911 and Cayenne.

I heard CCB rotor replacement for Panamera is extremely expensive so I wonder how you deal with the replacement or maintenance on your CCB.

Racingbrake is a brake company with 30 years in business and located in Fullerton, CA specialized in Carbon Ceramic Brake (Rotor, pad, complete brake system)

See our CCB offer for Porsche:
http://www.racingbrake.com/category-s/7200.htm

We don't list for Panamera yet but like to see if there is a demand.

Thank you.
Old 05-11-2016, 08:53 PM
RacingBrake
Former Vendor

This picture shows RB standard front CCM rotor (394x36) under Cayenne Turbo S caliper. Installed with a caliper spacer allowing to up-size from OE's 380mm rotor to a big CCM rotor kit with a perfect fitment w/o needing any modification.

Last edited by RacingBrake; 05-11-2016 at 09:15 PM.
Old 05-14-2016, 04:35 PM
vyper340
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what is the expected life span in miles for the Pano turbo PCCB?
Old 05-16-2016, 12:02 PM
RacingBrake
Former Vendor

For street driving we heard it can last you life time or 100,000 miles.
Old 05-16-2016, 02:05 PM
GVA-SFO
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Hello RacingBrake,
Great to meet you here, glad to read more about your CCB solutions.

A bit out of topic here, but :
What's about your solution for an (old, i.e.: 2001) Boxster (S), that is "mostly" a track car ! (I.e.: the tires that are currently in the car are (18") Nitto NT01 !!)
I currently plan to go Brembo "big brake kit" (6P) in the front. (And I'm looking if the current front caliper can be fitted on the rear !)
I would love the weight gain of the ceramic, ..but, did not like so much the high cost of it.
I also have some fears, hearing about so many track guys removing PCCB to go back to steel brakes !
(I.e.: did not had any stone problem last week, but, again.. see : https://rennlist.com/forums/panamera...l#post13274065 !!!!)

Also, I never seen solutions where people would go ceramic on the front, and keep steel in the rear !
Any good reason why not ?

About your question on CCB for Panamera, here is my feeling : We use our Panamera as a GT, and do miles with it.
I have been in situations where I got (bad road) stones stuck between the rotor protection steel plate and the rotor, (and was thinking: "well great that I do not have PCCB !!") and also, with such grand touring use, I could be often in situations where for good time, you do not touch the brake, but still may have the emergency to use brakes ..and want strong brake, ..or a typical situation where PCCB is not at its best !!
Note that the current brakes that I have (original ones), are the monobloc 6 pistons, and these are absolutely incredible.
(We have the same on our Cayenne (turbo) and even when towing the boat (6'500 pounds), I feel that these would stop a freight train !)

About unsprung mass, frankly, with the Panamera, I do not care that much. By DNA, ..it is not a light horse !!
So, in my case, I do not think I will ever be a potential customer for CCB on the Panamera (currently a 4S), but could move to a Turbo one of these days.
But, in my Boxster, this is VERY different !!!
(For any info about it, see on this Forum, "986" chapter, topic "PIWIS Reading a lot of R1 and...")

Last edited by GVA-SFO; 05-16-2016 at 02:32 PM.
Old 05-18-2016, 09:13 AM
Skidmarkz
Intermediate

I'm looking for a steel rotor replacement that allows me to use the factory PCCB calipers.
Old 05-22-2016, 03:55 PM
GVA-SFO
Rennlist Member

@Skimarkz : I would be interested to know why you are looking to get out of PCCB rotors ?
Old 05-22-2016, 07:30 PM
Skidmarkz
Intermediate

Originally Posted by GVA-SFO
@Skimarkz : I would be interested to know why you are looking to get out of PCCB rotors ?
It's the one thing preventing me from taking the car to the track...I've read a lot about PCCB rotors on 911's needing replacement very quickly after track days.
Old 05-23-2016, 09:33 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

SICOM will refurbish PCCB rotors for $400/wheel...
Old 05-27-2016, 12:47 AM
GVA-SFO
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Skidmarkz
It's the one thing preventing me from taking the car to the track...
Ouch, Pano on track !
Why not, but this is going to be expensive shots !
In my track experience, the only "place" where I would have been comfy to have my Panamera, was Monza, a real fast track, but frankly, in places like Laguna Seca, or Sears Point, I would not do that.
I still feel that on track, "light is right". You pay the track miles by the weight.

..My two cents !
Old 05-27-2016, 10:24 AM
Skidmarkz
Intermediate

Originally Posted by CAlexio
SICOM will refurbish PCCB rotors for $400/wheel...
That's an awesome price - I looked briefly but saw something like 700 Euro per rotor...
Old 05-27-2016, 10:28 AM
Skidmarkz
Intermediate

Ouch, Pano on track !
Why not, but this is going to be expensive shots !
In my track experience, the only "place" where I would have been comfy to have my Panamera, was Monza, a real fast track, but frankly, in places like Laguna Seca, or Sears Point, I would not do that.
I still feel that on track, "light is right". You pay the track miles by the weight.

..My two cents !
Just based on its handling on the street, my Panny feels like it'll easily outcorner my track car, so I wanted to give it a shot. Laguna Seca is the track I'm most comfortable with, and it feels like a very easy track compared to Sonoma. I know what you mean about the $ of driving this car on track, but a nice gentle cruise leading up to one hot lap in a session wouldn't be too bad.
Old 05-27-2016, 10:36 AM
RacingBrake
Former Vendor

Hello RacingBrake,
Great to meet you here, glad to read more about your CCB solutions.

A bit out of topic here, but :
What's about your solution for an (old, i.e.: 2001) Boxster (S), that is "mostly" a track car ! (I.e.: the tires that are currently in the car are (18") Nitto NT01 !!)
I currently plan to go Brembo "big brake kit" (6P) in the front. (And I'm looking if the current front caliper can be fitted on the rear !)
I would love the weight gain of the ceramic, ..but, did not like so much the high cost of it.
I also have some fears, hearing about so many track guys removing PCCB to go back to steel brakes !
We have all kind of solution for your Boxster fits 18" wheels, typically you can upsize to 350/350mm 997TT, or 370/365 CTS-V set up. But we prefer to supply the complete system (including calipers) to eliminate retrofit concern/issue.

Usually the front calipers are designed to have larger pistons than the rear, w/o knowing your intended Brembo 6 pot pistons size it's hard for me to comment, but mostly likely it has the similar piston size as your stock front, so moving it to the rear is unlikely to be a good idea.

We do offer CCM front and iron rear for GTR, BMW M3/M4 and Mercedes C63 (In fact for C63 BS, only front CCB factory option is available)

I have been testing this combo set up on my GS350 (Lexus) for street driving for more than a year now, and found it runs very well w/o any compatibility issue while this front CCB/ rear Iron combo can save a lot of money.

For 18" wheel combo kit w/RB calipers it can be have under $10K.
Old 05-27-2016, 11:19 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Originally Posted by Skidmarkz
That's an awesome price - I looked briefly but saw something like 700 Euro per rotor...
It may have gone up, regardless, you can't even get new steel rotors for that price. I think it helps to remove that fear of PCCB use which everyone seems to have
Old 05-27-2016, 12:08 PM
RacingBrake
Former Vendor

Refurbishment prices:
http://www.sicom-europe.com/refurbishment-service.html

to 360 mm 793,00 €

to 380 mm 890,00 €

to 400 mm 950,00 €

to 420 mm 1.150,00 €

I have seen discussion on this refurbishing service all over the place, but haven't seen anyone ever posted a review or comment about its longevity or how it performed vs. OE aside from the cost factor.

As a comparison, RB iron conversion rotor for 991 GT3 pccb replacement (410/390mm) costs $700 ea, fully assembled which is much less than their 400mm refurbishment costing $1,058
http://www.racingbrake.com/category-s/7351.htm

So where is the advantage ??

Last edited by RacingBrake; 07-08-2016 at 09:29 AM.

Quick Reply: Carbon Ceramic Rotor Replacement for Panamera