Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

971 Recall due to fire

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2023, 10:21 PM
Mussl Kar
Rennlist Member

Received 423 Likes on 292 Posts

I an not sure I am reading the recall memo correctly. Does it really say to keep it away from your garage and set it on fire? Or keep it away and it will set itself on fire?
Seriously, was Porsche the first to come out with the self igniting engine in the 2014 GT3? Keep some Smores handy for a quick grab in the cabin. May not be quick enough to get them from the boot.
So drive it to the dealer or is it such a danger that Porsche should come get it with a flatbed?
Old 04-04-2023, 10:06 AM
knowspin
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

Got a call yesterday that the parts are in and scheduled early May to bring it in. They said 2 to 3 hours for the job. Can anyone verify this?
The following users liked this post:
Nickshu (04-04-2023)
Old 04-05-2023, 11:44 AM
neilontrack
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was awaiting the pump so I could purchase a used 4S at my P dealer. Recall was completed yesterday and buying the 4S today. 2-3 hours is what my service advisor said as well. He also admitted he just wasn’t sure how long it would take since it was the first of those repairs they had ever done.
Old 04-07-2023, 09:35 AM
bob-socal
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My '19 Sport Turismo is also waiting for the fix, if somebody is looking for one it will be available 21k white / black in factory warranty
Old 04-07-2023, 09:39 AM
Blackmaven
AutoX

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My salesman called me yesterday afternoon to let me know that the parts are in for my car. They'll be doing the work today and I'll be able to pick it up next week. Considering @neilontrack and I had our pending sales done quickly, It looks like they're balancing getting CPO pending sales processed at an equal, if not higher priority than owner cars.
Old 04-10-2023, 09:13 AM
Mussl Kar
Rennlist Member

Received 423 Likes on 292 Posts

Does anybody have pics of referenced pump location and electrical location? Something I can check myself?
Old 04-11-2023, 03:27 AM
E39Nutz
Pro

Received 264 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Mussl Kar
Does anybody have pics of referenced pump location and electrical location? Something I can check myself?
This is the Audi V6 engine that is the foundation for the current porsche V6. There are two identical pumps near the firewall on the passenger side. I believe V50 is the one that is in question.

Also, this pump is used in more than one places on this engine. That begs the question, if porsche claims that there is a moisture leak into the pump’s “control unit”, they ought to replace all the pumps, not just this particular one that deals with residual heat distribution.

Last edited by E39Nutz; 04-11-2023 at 03:35 AM.
Old 04-13-2023, 02:53 PM
NoECUs
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Re the picture of the Audi engine in post # 67 - On my 2018 Panamera 4 there is only one pump on the back of the engine and it is mounted like "1" in the picture.
Old 05-09-2023, 08:30 AM
Bmoney003
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Dropping mine off today to get done.
Old 05-15-2023, 09:59 AM
ZManInNY
4th Gear

Got mine done last week!
Old 05-16-2023, 02:07 PM
socalcarguy
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by ZManInNY
Got mine done last week!
Did it take the whole day?
Old 05-18-2023, 03:58 PM
LEP
Intermediate

My 2018 ST was supposed to be repaired at the dealership yesterday. It's not done.

I spoke to people three times prior to the car being picked-up...flat-bedded from Eugene, OR to Portland. I was told that there were two-levels of the possible required work on the recall...one was for the parts that they would have on hand, and a more serious circumstance, where parts would have to ordered, requiring a delay. Okay, you can't push the river.

However, each time I spoke with them, I asked specifically about the location of the parts for the more serious repair (which my car requires). I asked simply if those parts were located in the US, or would they have to come from overseas. Each and every time I was told that the parts were located in the US.

Nope.

Not only am I am now in limbo, the dealer claims that they are required to send a photo of the damage to Germany, wait for approval, and then the requisite part(s) are shipped...from Germany. This kind of misinformation (deliberate, or not) is a problem for me.

Last edited by LEP; 05-18-2023 at 04:12 PM.
Old 05-18-2023, 04:11 PM
Hams911
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by socalcarguy
Did it take the whole day?
mine was roughly 4 hours of shop labor to complete…or at least that’s what the dealer charged Porsche NA 😉
Old 05-18-2023, 04:59 PM
E39Nutz
Pro

Received 264 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by LEP
My 2018 ST was supposed to be repaired at the dealership yesterday. It's not done.

I spoke to people three times prior to the car being picked-up...flat-bedded from Eugene, OR to Portland. I was told that there were two-levels of the possible required work on the recall...one was for the parts that they would have on hand, and a more serious circumstance, where parts would have to ordered, requiring a delay. Okay, you can't push the river.

However, each time I spoke with them, I asked specifically about the location of the parts for the more serious repair (which my car requires). I asked simply if those parts were located in the US, or would they have to come from overseas. Each and every time I was told that the parts were located in the US.

Nope.

Not only am I am now in limbo, the dealer claims that they are required to send a photo of the damage to Germany, wait for approval, and then the requisite part(s) are shipped...from Germany. This kind of misinformation (deliberate, or not) is a problem for me.

Dealer won’t take your car if the part is not available. Not sure why you would agree to let them take your car away. I can’t even schedule the service as my dealer has no part available for this recall.
Old 05-18-2023, 06:26 PM
TRITONE
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by E39Nutz
Dealer won’t take your car if the part is not available. Not sure why you would agree to let them take your car away. I can’t even schedule the service as my dealer has no part available for this recall.
Well, apparently thats not accurate. Unlikely the OP would have said "sure just take it".......
Anyway, the amount of crap surrounding this recall scares me.....guess I'll wait till a dealer shows me the parts on his countertop.....hoping my house doesn't burn down in the meantime.....as extended overnight street parking often leads to "cat-delete"