Notices
Panamera 2010-Current
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

PDLS Plus Dynamic Cornering Light doesn't work.

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2017, 10:05 AM
Mark0409
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PDLS Plus Dynamic Cornering Light doesn't work.

Hello Guys. I have a new 2017 Panamera 4S equipped with PDLS Plus. According to my research, both PDLS and PDLS Plus have DCL that turns the light when I'm cornering the car. However my car's DCL doesn't work, only the static cornering light works. I know the matrix LED headlight's function is limited in the US but at least DCL should be fine? Does anyone have the PDLS or PDLS plus on Panamera can confirm this is common? Also, is there a aftermarket solution can hack the car's computer to fully activate the full function of matrix LED? I think what Porsche does to comply the US law is just put a layer of code to seal the function of matrix LED. US cars should have the same hardwares as Euro spec cars which in theory we may convert the light?

Thanks!

Last edited by Mark0409; 09-29-2017 at 11:18 AM.
Old 09-29-2017, 06:50 AM
ajriches01
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know the answer I'm afraid but the car looks mean as hell!
Old 09-29-2017, 10:21 AM
TestnDoc
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Cant be done as I understand it. But love your car!! Chalk? I am about to order a 4S.
Old 09-29-2017, 11:00 AM
Mark0409
6th Gear

Originally Posted by TestnDoc
Cant be done as I understand it. But love your car!! Chalk? I am about to order a 4S.
Yes, it's Chalk. I highly recommend this color. Truly makes the car special. Porsche makes tons of money from options, but this one totally worth the money.
Old 09-29-2017, 06:28 PM
AJRDU
Intermediate

My car has PDLS Plus, and the dynamic cornering does work. It is subtle at best in normal mode, but I can see the swivel happen in sport and sport+. I will turn off the auto high beam and double check when i head to the gym in the morning. When i first got the car, i thought the same thing, but realized it really didn't respond much unless going an adequate speed and using some mode other than normal.
Old 09-29-2017, 08:49 PM
SaratogaLefty
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

I don't know the answer either but it is beautiful!! I have a very similar exterior but mine is still sitting at port in San Diego (4 E-Hybrid). I went with the Bordeaux/Black interior.
Old 09-30-2017, 05:42 AM
thorfun
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Stunning car!!
I’m UK based and have the Matrix LEDs (which are awesome!) so can’t help with your headlight issue but I just wanted to let you know how great your car looks. I used the configurator to build one very similar but in the end just went for black.

When I had my Porsche experience day I parked next to one.

Love that chalk colour and your black contrast wheels/handles/mirrors etc. Set it off beautifully
Old 10-01-2017, 09:44 PM
Mark0409
6th Gear

Originally Posted by AJRDU
My car has PDLS Plus, and the dynamic cornering does work. It is subtle at best in normal mode, but I can see the swivel happen in sport and sport+. I will turn off the auto high beam and double check when i head to the gym in the morning. When i first got the car, i thought the same thing, but realized it really didn't respond much unless going an adequate speed and using some mode other than normal.
Thanks for the info AJ. I tried with both sport and sport + modes and with different speeds. None of them made DCL work. Also I don't think my cars' rear axle steering works neither. I'll talk to my dealer.

Last edited by Mark0409; 10-02-2017 at 11:28 AM.
Old 10-02-2017, 04:39 AM
ajriches01
Racer

Ah ok, so you don't have matrix then? Then I can help you. I thought exactly the same with mine, I have an X6 with smart lights and at any speed it's very obvious when you turn the wheel. This system is more subtle and apparently relies upon different LEDs lighting as opposed to a physical system linked to the wheel. 50+mph on a country road and you will notice it. 20mph on a driveway and it doesn't do anything (including static). I am not sold on it as the best system (although nice and bright) but rest assured yours is working within guidelines. Go fast left to right (we have roundabouts in the UK) and you'll notice the beam sweeping to catch-up with the movement.
Old 10-02-2017, 10:35 AM
Mark0409
6th Gear

Originally Posted by ajriches01
Ah ok, so you don't have matrix then? Then I can help you. I thought exactly the same with mine, I have an X6 with smart lights and at any speed it's very obvious when you turn the wheel. This system is more subtle and apparently relies upon different LEDs lighting as opposed to a physical system linked to the wheel. 50+mph on a country road and you will notice it. 20mph on a driveway and it doesn't do anything (including static). I am not sold on it as the best system (although nice and bright) but rest assured yours is working within guidelines. Go fast left to right (we have roundabouts in the UK) and you'll notice the beam sweeping to catch-up with the movement.

PDLS + in the US is the same light you have in the UK but we don't have matrix light function. Because a law in 1964 says all cars have to have high and low beams. However the DCL should not rely on matrix LED to work. It should be a mechanical swiveling of the headlight. Also I have checked my rear axle steering, they don't work. I tried to turn steering wheel all the way at low speed and stationary, which under this circumstance the rear wheel should turn to opposite direction of steering wheel. It would be great if you can check your car's rear axle steering for me.

Since both function are related to turning the steering wheel, I don't think they are coincidence. I'll contact my dealer.

Last edited by Mark0409; 10-02-2017 at 11:28 AM.
Old 10-03-2017, 03:44 AM
jrjunior31
Advanced

I just ordered a Black 4S and after seeing 2 black cars next to each other one with PDLS and one without (standard LEDs not the matrix), I didn't like the chrome housing on the PDLS car. Also in SoCal headlight washers are useless and swivel headlights are good for dark windy roads which I'm never on. I rebuilt my car with PDLS delete and it was $770 less. Too bad the build already locked!! I hate when that happens. What do you guys think of the chrome housings on a black car? Am I the only one who will be bothered by this?
Old 10-03-2017, 05:16 AM
ajriches01
Racer

Mark - be interested to see what they say. I can tell you 100% the lights are not mechanical and do not work like other systems that I have used (was playing around with it last night). Unless of course both of our cars have problems!!

No experience with chrome surround - may be a US thing?
Old 10-04-2017, 03:21 PM
Mark0409
6th Gear

Originally Posted by ajriches01
Mark - be interested to see what they say. I can tell you 100% the lights are not mechanical and do not work like other systems that I have used (was playing around with it last night). Unless of course both of our cars have problems!!

No experience with chrome surround - may be a US thing?
Since you've confirmed the DCL is not mechanical, which is the only reasonable explanation I could think about. The PDLS may use mechanical swivel to achive DCL but the PDLS+ DCL maybe part of the matrix LED function . DCL might be disabled due to US regulation along with locking the 84 matrix LEDs, which makes the PDLS+ really a worthless option in the US. However, I'll still have faith because my user manual says the PDLS+ has the DCL. I'll check with my dealer's service department in a few weeks and give you update.
Old 10-04-2017, 03:52 PM
Mark0409
6th Gear

Originally Posted by jrjunior31
I just ordered a Black 4S and after seeing 2 black cars next to each other one with PDLS and one without (standard LEDs not the matrix), I didn't like the chrome housing on the PDLS car. Also in SoCal headlight washers are useless and swivel headlights are good for dark windy roads which I'm never on. I rebuilt my car with PDLS delete and it was $770 less. Too bad the build already locked!! I hate when that happens. What do you guys think of the chrome housings on a black car? Am I the only one who will be bothered by this?
Here is what I think. Because the Panamera is a big car, so is its headlight. The PDLS+ definitely looks the best because it has larger LEDs that almost fill the whole space of the headlight. Standard headlight has smaller LEDs which make the light looks empty. PDLS by adding the housing (due to adding the static cornering light) kind of solves this visual problem. However, it may bother you if you want a pure black car. You can contact your dealer ASAP see if you can make the change, otherwise you have to tint it from some aftermarket places. I'm interested in that the PDLS option only cost you $770. I'm in Chicago and my configurator shows it costs $1020.

Old 10-05-2017, 01:56 AM
jrjunior31
Advanced

Originally Posted by Mark0409
Here is what I think. Because the Panamera is a big car, so is its headlight. The PDLS+ definitely looks the best because it has larger LEDs that almost fill the whole space of the headlight. Standard headlight has smaller LEDs which make the light looks empty. PDLS by adding the housing (due to adding the static cornering light) kind of solves this visual problem. However, it may bother you if you want a pure black car. You can contact your

dealer ASAP see if you can make the change, otherwise you have to tint it from some aftermarket places. I'm interested in that the PDLS option only cost you $770. I'm in Chicago and my configurator shows it costs $1020.

I had PP+ specced first then changed to PP and added seat ventilation and soft close doors. So I lost PDLS and rear seat heating but saved $770. In any case build was locked so I left it as is. I've seen a lot of cars with and without the chrome housing, it's something most people would probably never notice with the exception of obsessed Porsche owners like myself. I did some research and most people say don't put film on the headlights, I doubt I would go tht route. The matrix LEDs definitely look the best but expensive considering some of the functionality is disabled in the US.

Quick Reply: PDLS Plus Dynamic Cornering Light doesn't work.