Notices

OT - Z/28 at the 'Ring: 7:37 wet lap

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2014, 02:12 AM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
The Corvette (Z51) is cheaper, lighter, and with less HP. It's the better underdog. The Z06 may be a tad more expensive but it will blow this Z28 away.
Corvette = redundant because GM already makes it.

Old 03-08-2014, 02:23 AM
MarcusG
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 129 Posts

Holy crap I'm scared !

An empty bowtie. That definitely deserves a "Because Race Car!"
Old 03-08-2014, 08:08 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by wanna911
Corvette = redundant because GM already makes it.
Adding a 500lbs heavier yet more expensive track "underdog" is what's redundant (at best). It would be the equivalent of Porsche making a $200k Panamera GT4 as competition for the GT3 but with a "flowtie" because track weapon. Gotta love underdogs like that.
Old 03-08-2014, 10:04 AM
wanna911
Race Car

No it would be like Porsche making a Panameras Turbo.......oh wait....

It's not redundant if they build it and people buy it.......and judging by the current ordering trends they are doing just fine.

Don't know why you are so against this car but it's going to eat the lunch of every 911 outside of 997.2 GT3 or better. All for 75k. Guess GM should discontinue making CTS-V as well.

Ford should quit trying to make the mustang perform as well. Bmw and Mercedes should just quit too. All of the above make high hp heavy performance vehicles and you aren't complaining about those. Where is your consistency?
Old 03-08-2014, 10:40 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

I made my point, and I stand by it. Personally, after seeing how much it weighs, I wouldn't touch the Z28 with a ten foot pole. Same goes for every other heavy "track" car from your list, "flowties" notwithstanding. Apparently, weight matters to me more than it matters to other people. Of course, it's great that everyone gets to spend their money on whatever they want. I wouldn't have it any other way.
Old 03-08-2014, 11:01 AM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My Z/28 order went "Queued For Production" this week. Looks like a late April delivery. As excited, if not more so, compared to any of my P-car deliveries.

Originally Posted by hf1
The Corvette (Z51) is cheaper, lighter, and with less HP. It's the better underdog. The Z06 may be a tad more expensive but it will blow this Z28 away.
Let's revisit your comment in a few weeks? Z06 LS 1:34.4 per MT. Camaro ZL1 1:39.2. Based on current known Z/28 lap times, it's perfectly reasonable to anticipate a 1:36 LS lap, therefore an approx 2 sec difference in lap times between Z06-Z/28. In the world of HPDE, I would not define that as "blow away".

Furthermore, 1:36 is a .2 GT3RS lap time in the hands of a very skilled driver. It's also Nissan GT-R and F 458 lap times.

The press embargo will be off in a few more weeks from the Barber press event in Feb, and we'll have a Barber lap time then.

Lap times are but one of many measures of a car's ability to reward and please. Important to me: analog driving experience, aesthetics, reliability, track event insurability, track warranted, the soundtrack. And engineers who love what they do and love to talk about it, that's priceless. To each his own and the track will be a more interesting place in 2014.

$75,000, limited to 500 cars for 2014 model. No-brainer value of the decade in my world.

Who wouldn't want a car that is a product of this guy's vision? He participates in forums and his money post is: ""I wasn't asked to make it cheap... I was asked to make it FAST!"

Old 03-08-2014, 11:13 AM
Dan39
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't know why you are so against this car but it's going to eat the lunch of every 911 outside of 997.2 GT3 or better.
Porsche's lunch is not outright track pace per dollar and it isn't even in the case of the GT cars let alone other 911s... You seriously think anyone is cross-shopping this monstrosity against a Carrera? And if Porsche wanted to make the GT cars faster they could just turbo them - is that what we're after? I wouldn't buy one.
Old 03-08-2014, 11:31 AM
savyboy
Drifting

Originally Posted by Dan39
You seriously think anyone is cross-shopping this monstrosity against a Carrera?
Yes?

Z/28 vs GT3 is a perfectly valid cross-shop on multiple levels. That is, if you are a car guy and not hooked on swallowing a given brand's marketing spew.

Old 03-08-2014, 11:57 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by savyboy
My Z/28 order went "Queued For Production" this week. Looks like a late April delivery. As excited, if not more so, compared to any of my P-car deliveries.
Congrats! Would love to hear your impressions.

Let's revisit your comment in a few weeks? Z06 LS 1:34.4 per MT. Camaro ZL1 1:39.2. Based on current known Z/28 lap times, it's perfectly reasonable to anticipate a 1:36 LS lap, therefore an approx 2 sec difference in lap times between Z06-Z/28. In the world of HPDE, I would not define that as "blow away".
I was talking about the new Z06. My point was that with the Z51 Corvette GM already makes a car that's $20k cheaper, lighter, and with better lb/HP ratio than the Z28. If I was shopping GM for a sports/track car, I don't see why I would ever go for the new Z28 over the new Z51/Z06.

Furthermore, 1:36 is a .2 GT3RS lap time in the hands of a very skilled driver. It's also Nissan GT-R and F 458 lap times.
That's great. I wasn't talking about anything outside the GM offerings, though.

Lap times are but one of many measures of a car's ability to reward and please. Important to me: analog driving experience, aesthetics, reliability, track event insurability, track warranted, the soundtrack.
True. That is why I prefer my 6GT3 to most any other car, except maybe a tie with the Elise/Exige or a nicely set up Boxster/Cayman.

$75,000, limited to 500 cars for 2014 model. No-brainer value of the decade in my world.
That's all that matters. It's a good thing that values are subjective. No need to justify or explain why something tugs at your heart.
Old 03-08-2014, 12:04 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Originally Posted by hf1
Congrats! Would love to hear your impressions.
I have a history of sharing my views with little or no prompting

Originally Posted by hf1
That's all that matters. It's a good thing that values are subjective. No need to justify or explain why something tugs at your heart.
Old 03-08-2014, 12:05 PM
MM3.9GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by savyboy
Yes?

Z/28 vs GT3 is a perfectly valid cross-shop on multiple levels. That is, if you are a car guy and not hooked on swallowing a given brand's marketing spew.

Great point. Or, if one has his entire identity wrapped around driving a Porsche. Anyone that drives a lesser brand does not understand the Porsche mystique, and anyone that drives a Ferrari is an idiot for spending too much money.

I respect what Chevy has done with the Z/28. Yes, it weighs too much, but it will be very quick, easy to drive, and comes with a full warranty that is not voided with track use. It will surprise more than a few GT3 drivers at the track.

Look at what Chevy gives you for $4,000 in the C7 Corvette - Z51 package. What does Porsche give you for $4,000? It won't even but you one replacement PCCB rotor!

Z51 Performance Package
The Z51 Performance Package (available on 1LT, 2LT or 3LT), elevates Corvette Stingray to its top performance level. This package includes:
larger 19-inch front and 20-inch rear wheels
dry sump oil system
Electronic Limited Slip Differential
larger front brakes (13.6 inch vs. 12.6 inch) with black calipers
specific shocks, springs and stabilizer bars
differential and transmission cooling
unique Aero Package that reduces lift for high-speed stability
Michelin® Pilot® Super Sport® ZP summer-only tires (DISCLOSURE) that are aggressively tuned to provide outstanding handling, grip and road-holding capability
available Magnetic Selective Ride Control and Performance Traction Management
HD Cooling
Slotted Brake Rotors
Performance Gear Ratios
Old 03-08-2014, 02:53 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Originally Posted by hf1
I made my point, and I stand by it. Personally, after seeing how much it weighs, I wouldn't touch the Z28 with a ten foot pole. Same goes for every other heavy "track" car from your list, "flowties" notwithstanding. Apparently, weight matters to me more than it matters to other people. Of course, it's great that everyone gets to spend their money on whatever they want. I wouldn't have it any other way.
That's fine, no one is trying to convince you to buy it. There are only 500 for 2014 so if everyone wanted it, there would be a massive shortage. But there is a market for these cars, and GM is catering to it. I would pick this over a non Z06 C7 Corvette myself, as has Savyboy and 499 other people so far.

But I have experience in a heavy car, and have a light dedicated track car as well, but would have plenty of fun in this car as an occasionally DE car. Weight is important, but if every car were trying to be the same, cars would be boring.

Originally Posted by Dan39
Porsche's lunch is not outright track pace per dollar and it isn't even in the case of the GT cars let alone other 911s... You seriously think anyone is cross-shopping this monstrosity against a Carrera? And if Porsche wanted to make the GT cars faster they could just turbo them - is that what we're after? I wouldn't buy one.
Porsche's lunch needs to be less cars on fire per dollar. I'm just as familiar with Porsche's ethos as anyone, no preaching needed. My point was for all of the "it's too heavy to be competitive, can't last but two laps because of weight" they can keep saying that when they are seeing tail lights disappear for session after session.
Old 03-08-2014, 04:48 PM
Dan39
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My point was for all of the "it's too heavy to be competitive, can't last but two laps because of weight" they can keep saying that when they are seeing tail lights disappear for session after session.
I don't doubt it will be competitive in lap times against luxury sports cars given that it's a hardcore track car... Those Caterhams are pretty quick, too.
Old 03-08-2014, 07:45 PM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 52 Posts

The truly good cars that are here now from Ford and Chevy and Dodge and others is moving the needle. Sure there aren't so many cross shoppers - but there are more than there were . Me for one . It didn't hurt me any to switch to the Boss versus a Cayman .

My only real complaint with the Z is that it historically was performance without the big cost . Now it appears that Chevy , who has technology no doubt , has some idea that they want to milk their customers , the same as Porsche has been doing for some years too BTW .

No just related to one car or the other, but Ford treated me better than any Porsche purchase .

Porsche makes good cars too no doubt .
Old 03-08-2014, 11:45 PM
MarcusG
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 129 Posts

Ugh.

That's great. No really. It's fast and relatively cheap when you compare to a 911. OK, I'll admit I've owned a couple of Camaros as well. For me there's really only one thing to say. It's still a Camaro and I'm not interested. Good for GM. There's a car for everyone out there. If you haven't driven the new Camaro go do it. Some love it. It's like driving a big dark school bus with horse blinders on. My buddy has a Vega with 700hp. You can make anything fast if you throw enough money at it.

I'm in Los Angeles so we have everything all day and all night here so I'll let everyone know when I see my first Flowtie!

Quick Reply: OT - Z/28 at the 'Ring: 7:37 wet lap