Because FlyingRacecar

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2014, 09:04 AM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 66 Posts
Default Because FlyingRacecar

Surprised this hasn't already been posted... See our very own Bill Wise (2BWise) hard at work on his Camaros...

Old 03-02-2014, 12:12 PM
911Königin
Rennlist Member

Received 554 Likes on 313 Posts

I need that
Old 03-02-2014, 12:21 PM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Very cool... What were Barber lap times ?
Old 03-04-2014, 02:57 PM
2BWise
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by David Floyd
You'll have to have some patience but those should be popping up in the near future.
Old 03-04-2014, 03:08 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by David Floyd
Originally Posted by 2BWise
You'll have to have some patience but those should be popping up in the near future.
Will be known when the Press Embargo comes off, late March, early April

I am super stoked to take delivery of my '14 in white
Old 03-04-2014, 04:20 PM
2BWise
Three Wheelin'

You've got one coming. Congrats! I think you'll enjoy it. Feel free to pass along any questions if they arise. There are lots of little details that will allow you to get the most out of it.
Old 03-04-2014, 04:31 PM
savyboy
Drifting

You've got one coming. Congrats! I think you'll enjoy it. Feel free to pass along any questions if they arise. There are lots of little details that will allow you to get the most out of it.
I placed my deposit and signed a buyers order back in April of last year, right after the release

Any details you can mention that may not yet be (fully) publicized?
Will the PDR be available on the '15's?
Is the traction management and ABS system programming able to cope with Hoosier R6's?
Will I get Ice Brake mode as easily in bumpy brake zones on track in the Z/28 as I did in my GT3?

Other than maybe the R6's, I plan to leave it box-stock and abuse it regularly at the track.

Thanks!
Old 03-04-2014, 04:45 PM
2BWise
Three Wheelin'

Hoosiers sound interesting. Give the Trofeos a try first. I think you'll be shocked at their performance. If you decide you want even more go for the Hoosiers.

As for ABS and PTM, that's my wheelhouse! I did all the integration of the "nannies" as everyone likes to call them for this car. The ABS system in this car is almost bulletproof on the track. You can pound the pedal lap after lap and you'll be able to brake all the way to the apex. Any concerns of "ice mode" will not be in the back of your mind like it may have been in the GT3. PTM Mode 5 is setup to get the quickest lap time out of the car. It won't come in and take much power away from the car on corner exit, so you have to be careful. It'll let you have the smallest of slides without having to back out of the throttle, but if you get too crossed up it won't come in to save you. It is 100% race track traction control in the concept of lowest laptime (mode 5 specifically). All the work I did was for the Pirellis so I'm not sure what exactly will happen if you slap Hoosiers on the car. I can guess at the performance but without doing that exact comparison I can't tell you for sure.

(GM social media disclaimer: I am a GM employee and my opinions represent my own and not that of my employer) There that's out of the way.
Old 03-04-2014, 05:20 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Hoosiers sound interesting. Give the Trofeos a try first. I think you'll be shocked at their performance. If you decide you want even more go for the Hoosiers.

As for ABS and PTM, that's my wheelhouse! I did all the integration of the "nannies" as everyone likes to call them for this car. The ABS system in this car is almost bulletproof on the track. You can pound the pedal lap after lap and you'll be able to brake all the way to the apex. Any concerns of "ice mode" will not be in the back of your mind like it may have been in the GT3. PTM Mode 5 is setup to get the quickest lap time out of the car. It won't come in and take much power away from the car on corner exit, so you have to be careful. It'll let you have the smallest of slides without having to back out of the throttle, but if you get too crossed up it won't come in to save you. It is 100% race track traction control in the concept of lowest laptime (mode 5 specifically). All the work I did was for the Pirellis so I'm not sure what exactly will happen if you slap Hoosiers on the car. I can guess at the performance but without doing that exact comparison I can't tell you for sure.

(GM social media disclaimer: I am a GM employee and my opinions represent my own and not that of my employer) There that's out of the way.
AWESOME!

Thanks so much for being willing to give forth from your viewpoint! So much respect to GM for making the car happen and allowing employees to participate in forums (you, Mark, Scott, etc). Real enthusiasts, engineering enthusiast's cars.

I was one of the first trackers in the US to use the original Trofeo, and then the Trofeo R. Their performance is incredible, braking especially. The R6's are 2-3 seconds faster on a 2:00 track vs the Trofeos. Oh- are the wheel's bead seats knurled? And does the car have a TPMS system I can use to monitor pressures? Would you suggest less than 31 PSI hot? I ran 29-29.5 PSI hot as my targeted sweet spot.

Z/28 Driving style- rotate under trailbrake into the apex? Or get the braking done and turn in? I guessing it'll prefer a more balanced approach (brake, turn)?
Old 03-04-2014, 05:47 PM
2BWise
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by savyboy
I was one of the first trackers in the US to use the original Trofeo, and then the Trofeo R. Their performance is incredible, braking especially. The R6's are 2-3 seconds faster on a 2:00 track vs the Trofeos. Oh- are the wheel's bead seats knurled? And does the car have a TPMS system I can use to monitor pressures? Would you suggest less than 31 PSI hot? I ran 29-29.5 PSI hot as my targeted sweet spot.

Z/28 Driving style- rotate under trailbrake into the apex? Or get the braking done and turn in? I guessing it'll prefer a more balanced approach (brake, turn)?
There is a bead redemption modification to keep the tire from rotating on the rim. The TPMS do display on the dash, so you can keep an eye on them. I would target 32 hot and not let them go above 35. Between there seems to be the sweet spot.

We spent a lot of time tuning the ABS to work on the track, so with this car you can trailbrake ALL THE WAY to the apex. The controller modifies the brakes pressures at the wheel to give the car the slightest hint of understeer so that you can confidently brake all the way thru the entry phase of the corner.
Old 03-04-2014, 06:09 PM
paradocs98
Rennlist Member

Received 405 Likes on 191 Posts

Great clip. Very cool to have one of the engineers on this board.

I really really really thought about the new Z/28 to replace my E90 M3, but I was concerned about the cost of consumables on a relatively heavy car--especially those amazingly massive tires, and in a square setup no less!

My M3 could go through a front set of Pagids in 4 days at the Glen, and that was with the benefit of a StopTech BBK. I was afraid that the new Camaro would go through pads even quicker. But now that I've seen the amount of attention to detail that GM has paid to track-worthiness, the Z/28 probably has much better brake cooling than the M3 had.

In any case, now I'm reading that, despite its light weight, the 991 eats through rear brakes with its stability control and torque vectoring, so I guess the joke's on me!

Looking forward to hearing about this impressive beast on the track!
Old 03-04-2014, 06:51 PM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 66 Posts

Additional note, when you come from a non-PTM car to a PTM-equipped car, you'll want to learn to get on the gas a lot earlier than you're used to - like decidedly before the apex. That's the fastest way 'round the track; it's specifically designed to meter the power out as appropriate. Just pick your line and steer it on out.

As Bill said; once you get into PTM 5 (Race mode), it won't save you, that's up to you as the driver. Any mode below, there'll be some reserve of grip, but Mode 5 is a no-compromises fastest setting. On the plus side, it won't punish you at all if you do end up walking it out of a corner slideways.

Enjoy.
Old 03-04-2014, 07:28 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 81 Posts

Cool
Old 03-11-2014, 01:02 PM
tentenths
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Mr. Wise...I posted this on a camaro5 thread:

Since the new cc rotors are listed at $1491 per rotor I’m looking for a steel set up that can become more of a “consumable” at DE weekends where you generally get an open track friday and (4) 30 minute runs on sat and sunday maybe 10-15 of these per season and a few autoxs.

I’m thinking StopTech’s slotted Aerorotors since they are light or Trophy rotors and some type of aggressive Hawk or Carbotech pads and some temperature strips to see if ducting is necessary. Mostly the glen and njmp.

http://www.stoptech.com/products/rot...ch-aero-rotors

fluid is possibly keeping the same as what comes in the car???…or flush and AP racing Super 600 only.

I know everything has been tuned for the cc set up so besides heat and long run consistency would this set up be fine for DE days with 30 minute runs??? Will the abs be roughly the same?

If I was endurance racing then I would stick with the CCs.

any advice appreciated…

tia,

can you comment on abs programming with steel rotors?…if an issue at all???
Old 03-11-2014, 05:36 PM
2BWise
Three Wheelin'

Quick Reply: Because FlyingRacecar