Audi R8 V10

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 01:35 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,006 Likes on 2,833 Posts
Default Audi R8 V10

I'm a dyed-in-the-wool Porsche guy (have had half a dozen over many years and never an Audi), but I was shocked how much I enjoyed a drive in an R8 V10 Convertible with Manual 6spd (Ferrari-style gated shifter).

The sharp throttle response of that motor and pull from idle to 8,700rpm was extremely impressive (as was the shriek of the V10 at the top of the tach). The flywheel feels feather-light.

On the road it seemed nimble and all-conquering. I imagine the weight of the car (3,800 pounds for a V10 Coupe) would be more apparent on the track - has anyone ever driven one on track?

Seems like a very capable sportscar with everyday reliability and comfort (and still comes with true dry-sump, a brilliant manual gearbox, and hydraulic steering). Anyone have any experiences (ownership or otherwise) to offer?
Old 02-26-2012, 01:51 PM
TTurbine
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
I'm a dyed-in-the-wool Porsche guy (have had half a dozen over many years and never an Audi), but I was shocked how much I enjoyed a drive in an R8 V10 Convertible with Manual 6spd (Ferrari-style gated shifter).

The sharp throttle response of that motor and pull from idle to 8,700rpm was extremely impressive (as was the shriek of the V10 at the top of the tach). The flywheel feels feather-light.

On the road it seemed nimble and all-conquering. I imagine the weight of the car (3,800 pounds for a V10 Coupe) would be more apparent on the track - has anyone ever driven one on track?

Seems like a very capable sportscar with everyday reliability and comfort. Anyone have any experiences (ownership or otherwise) to offer?
Its a nice car, but to heavy for the track , and the brakes rubbish..

It sort of has a rear wheel bias

Powerwise a properly driven 3.8 GT3 is faster on the straight of my home track that is 1050 meters, Audi backs off early before corner entry cause it has bad brakes..
Old 02-26-2012, 01:56 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TTurbine
Its a nice car, but to heavy for the track , and the brakes rubbish..

It sort of has a rear wheel bias

Powerwise a properly driven 3.8 GT3 is faster on the straight of my home track that is 1050 meters, Audi backs off early before corner entry cause it has bad brakes..
Have you seen the carbon optional brakes for the R8? There was a GT model of the R8 (rare 220 pounds lighter with 560hp, but only paddle shifter) at the dealer with these brakes and they look absolutely enormous (with 8-piston calipers). I wonder if they would be an improvement? Was the R8 using track brake pads that you saw at the track? I imagine most brakes are going to struggle to haul down such a fast car that weighs nearly 2 tons...
Old 02-26-2012, 02:11 PM
TTurbine
Pro

Have you seen the carbon optional brakes for the R8? There was a GT model of the R8 (rare 220 pounds lighter with 560hp, but only paddle shifter) at the dealer with these brakes and they look absolutely enormous (with 8-piston calipers). I wonder if they would be an improvement? Was the R8 using track brake pads that you saw at the track? I imagine most brakes are going to struggle to haul down such a fast car that weighs nearly 2 tons...
R8 was using normal pads "OEM" so as the GT3
After 2 laps the R8s brake will start shaking and fade.. really scary at around 150mph

I dont know about the ceramics , but sureley they will be an improvment..
Old 02-26-2012, 02:46 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks!
Old 02-26-2012, 03:23 PM
TTurbine
Pro

Thanks!
Np

Do a search this has been brought up alot regarding the brakes and how heay the v10 R8 feels..

The GT may be something else though..

*EDIT*

R8 V10 Supertest results

http://www.germancarforum.com/r8/358...udi-r8-gt.html
Old 02-26-2012, 03:32 PM
RollingArt
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I know a pro racer who works at the Audi driving experience center at Infineon Raceway.

He likes the v8 version over the v10.
Old 02-26-2012, 03:58 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RollingArt
I know a pro racer who works at the Audi driving experience center at Infineon Raceway
Me too - is your friend's name Paul?
Old 02-26-2012, 04:07 PM
RollingArt
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Me too - is your friend's name Paul?
Matt
Old 02-26-2012, 05:07 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts

I imagine the weight of the car (3,800 pounds for a V10 Coupe) would be more apparent on the track - has anyone ever driven one on track?
I took a one day 'R8 Driving Experience' at Infineon back in 2010 when I was considering buying an R8 (see attached photo). I drove both v10s and v8's on that track, but mostly the latter. Yes, I also heard from many of the instructors there that they thought the v8 R8 coupe was more balanced at the limit (vs the heavier & more powerful v10 coupe). But when asked, they all would chose a v10 for the street!

All R8's then at the school were R-Tronics. As an amateur driver, the R8 made me look pretty good at the track. I would have had more balancing issues with a gt3, that is for sure! The main complaint from Porsche track guys (e.g. Mooty) is that the R8 lacks 'soul' (character) and it's a bit boring. For a car made with so much light weight aluminum, it is quite heavy! Because of this, the standard brakes suffer at the track. The carbon ones are now an option in the regular (non-gt) R8's in the US, although they were available as an option on ROW R8's almost from day one. These optional carbon brakes are very expensive too, so few order them in this market. The R-Tronic has been improved quite a bit since '08 via better software updates...but it doesn't compare to our new PDK. It is basically a manual transmission aided by electronic shifting. It is deadly in 'auto' mode and needs to be manipulated in 'manual' mode. It is expected that in calendar year 2013, Audi will offer a type of PDK to replaced the single-clutch R-Tronic transmission. It is also anticipated that a new revised-look platform will debut and that the naturally aspirated v10 might be replaced by a twin-turbo v8 for lower emissions!

You would think that most Audi R8 owners would be interested in track events, but that is not often the case. Recently, the Checkered Flag group hosted a track event at Infineon and offered any R8 owner a half-priced deal if any of them wanted to attend - just to see if they could get a few on the track against the usual bevy of Porsches and Ferraris. Up to that date, they never had an R8 show up at any of their track events!

The Spyder R8 version seems to handle quite a bit different (in a negative way) from the coupe. It even has a reputation of a 'poser' among the more sporting R8 crowd and there is a ton of them unsold in Audi dealer inventory. It also denies all the glorious view of its engine, which is one of the most attractive things about the R8 coupe design! I just drove a manual R8 v10 coupe last week in Monterey and that engine & exhaust sounded glorious! It also shifted surprisingly well, although it was my first attempt at a 'gated' manual! It was a 'brand new' left-over '11 model and had a $20K discount from MSRP. Send me a PM if you would like more info on that black coupe.

Saludos, z356

PS If anyone is curious in reading why I was so interested in an R8 but eventually elected not to buy one, read this thread at the R8 Talk forum:http://www.r8talk.com/forums/5-gener...y-r8-long.html
Attached Images  
Old 02-26-2012, 06:30 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks - very helpful
Old 02-26-2012, 07:25 PM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In a nutshell - Audi puts terrible brakes on its cars because to do otherwise would be to admit making mistakes in the past.
I have explicitly demonstrated the problem on several occasions to Stephan Reil and backed this up with very ordinary pilots consistently passing Frank Biela in identical cars, but for the brakes.
Incidentally, BMW brakes are pretty bad too.
The R8 does have an excellent chassis.
In the past, some Gallardos have been made at Neckarsulm. (no its not a non-sequiter)
The R8 race car does have the V10 engine.
The 6 piston vcalipers has üads with a bigger swept area than the 8 piston callipers.

R+C

Quick Reply: Audi R8 V10