Notices
View Poll Results: what do you think?
really clean, nice looking Vette....
31.46%
a very different Vette but we'll sure as hell take it.
29.84%
i'll be ordering one soon.......
17.72%
No thank you
20.98%
Voters: 553. You may not vote on this poll

Thoughts on the new corvette?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2019, 12:59 AM
996SPECticle
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by K-A
That said timeline started in ‘63 and not ‘64? Yeah, I knew that. Can’t speak for all though.

They are in fact false. The 911 (which started as the 901) has been around since 1963, not ‘64 as you mentioned.

Thus it technically would have “people” talking about it for “60 years.” I’m sure it took at least 4 years for Porsche to develop it.
What were these people "talking about?" What did you hear for the first 15+ years other than a dressed up, restyled and overpriced VW Beetle? Turtle backed putter box was my favorite. You act like they were all the rage even though 90% of Americans never saw one much less were enviable of them. Maybe it was that vinyl basket weave or the wooden floorboards that people bought them for back then because it sure wasn't the AC! Maybe people thought of them as the first gas miser Prius' that handled well.
Face it,hasn't been all that long that the 911 has been in the same "class" as the 'Vette. I very much appreciate the parity that has arisen in say the last 25 years but for all of Porsche's long and storied prior racing success very few of them actually resembled street cars, in both looks and underpinnings. Speaking of those classes, what does the GT4 compete against again? Is one of them an Acura 4 door?
And why decry as if a worry of what other depreciating "thing" others spend their money on? Using you as a baseline its clear a fool and their money are lucky to meet in the first place.
You call out the murderous GM brain trust while still owning a piece for profit, talk about a fluid ethical base. I give them a Darwin prize for helping thin out the herd that treats their key chains like a charm bracelet full of beads baubles and bells.
And finally, here's my great big FU from me to you about torsional rigidity. Enjoy.
To end on a pleasant note, please stop. Just stop and go away pretty please.
Old 08-08-2019, 01:06 AM
996SPECticle
Pro

Originally Posted by Caustic
Good shot of the engine bay and Sebring Orange.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=MUHui8hEUBA
One thing I read said there wouldn't be room to put a SC on top of it but that looks like plenty of room. it might not look bad with a "power bulge" back there
I suspect they would sacrifice some of that trunk area if they need room for inter coolers.
Old 08-08-2019, 01:10 AM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,168 Likes on 1,225 Posts

Can someone tell me that joke again about how great Porsche interiors are compared to Corvette's? I forgot how it went, I want to tell it to some friends.

My wife's 2002 VW Beetle Turbo S has a nicer interior than this. Hell, so does my 2003 Denali with 160k miles on it.

Old 08-08-2019, 01:24 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 136 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by 996SPECticle
What were these people "talking about?" What did you hear for the first 15+ years other than a dressed up, restyled and overpriced VW Beetle? Turtle backed putter box was my favorite. You act like they were all the rage even though 90% of Americans never saw one much less were enviable of them. Maybe it was that vinyl basket weave or the wooden floorboards that people bought them for back then because it sure wasn't the AC! Maybe people thought of them as the first gas miser Prius' that handled well.
Face it,hasn't been all that long that the 911 has been in the same "class" as the 'Vette. I very much appreciate the parity that has arisen in say the last 25 years but for all of Porsche's long and storied prior racing success very few of them actually resembled street cars, in both looks and underpinnings. Speaking of those classes, what does the GT4 compete against again? Is one of them an Acura 4 door?
And why decry as if a worry of what other depreciating "thing" others spend their money on? Using you as a baseline its clear a fool and their money are lucky to meet in the first place.
You call out the murderous GM brain trust while still owning a piece for profit, talk about a fluid ethical base. I give them a Darwin prize for helping thin out the herd that treats their key chains like a charm bracelet full of beads baubles and bells.
And finally, here's my great big FU from me to you about torsional rigidity. Enjoy.
https://youtu.be/TFdC-u4Mia4
To end on a pleasant note, please stop. Just stop and go away pretty please.
Wow. You believe those innocent customers “deserved it” huh. That’s how far you’ll shill for a crooked company known for historically garbage products. Trash attracts trash, I guess.

Originally Posted by Hacker-Pschorr
Can someone tell me that joke again about how great Porsche interiors are compared to Corvette's? I forgot how it went, I want to tell it to some friends.

My wife's 2002 VW Beetle Turbo S has a nicer interior than this. Hell, so does my 2003 Denali with 160k miles on it.

I actually think that’s a pretty nice sports car interior. Go sit inside an equal year Vette, feel around, see how solid things still are, how well things line up, the quality of each material, how each button sounds and feels, and you should have your answer.
Old 08-08-2019, 02:50 AM
RobertR1
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 43 Posts

The interior of my 2002 z06 is fine. Wear on the side bolster from getting in n out but that’s it. The 2011 only has 11k miles and feels brand new inside. Even the HUD in the 2002 works fine to this day after 120k miles.

People will find all sorts of oddities to appease their confirmation bias but in the end, if a car costing a 3rd or half was giving you like for like on every aspect, wouldn’t that make you feel like an idiot for paying that much more?
Old 08-08-2019, 07:09 AM
Closertotruth
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Was at MacMullkin yesterday also. Pretty impressed with the interior quality. I’ve owned 7 Vettes from a 1981 through 2008 before I started buying Porsches. I’m sure I will be back to owning a Vette in a year or two. This is from a guy that currently has a MacanS, three 911s and just sold a 981 Spyder. My quandary now is whether to order the new Spyder? The Vette is giving me pause regarding that move.
The following users liked this post:
GT3FZS (08-17-2019)
Old 08-08-2019, 09:04 AM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,168 Likes on 1,225 Posts

Originally Posted by K-A
I actually think that’s a pretty nice sports car interior. Go sit inside an equal year Vette, feel around, see how solid things still are, how well things line up, the quality of each material, how each button sounds and feels, and you should have your answer.
Your bias is already crystal clear. You wouldn't know a subjective comparison if it ran you over.

I've driven multiple examples of every generation Corvette except the first one. I've also driven many late model Porsches with the base interior, and been inside plenty of vintage ones.

That picture speaks volumes IMO. That could be a Civic, zero style to it. Cracked dashes, warped consoles, steering wheel stitching coming undone etc... are Porsche staples.

Historically the Vette wins hands down. Drive a 67 or 69 911 back to back with same year Vette. Or a 914 to any same year Vette.
No contest, Vette wins.

Sure you can spend lots if $$ for upgrades in a Porsche. The base dab gray is nothing to write home about.
Old 08-08-2019, 09:32 AM
K-A
Drifting

Your bias is already crystal clear. You wouldn't know a subjective comparison if it ran you over.

I've driven multiple examples of every generation Corvette except the first one. I've also driven many late model Porsches with the base interior, and been inside plenty of vintage ones.

That picture speaks volumes IMO. That could be a Civic, zero style to it. Cracked dashes, warped consoles, steering wheel stitching coming undone etc... are Porsche staples.

Historically the Vette wins hands down. Drive a 67 or 69 911 back to back with same year Vette. Or a 914 to any same year Vette.
No contest, Vette wins.

Sure you can spend lots if $$ for upgrades in a Porsche. The base dab gray is nothing to write home about.
And you said “my bias” is “crystal clear.”

Old 08-08-2019, 10:07 AM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

No contest, Vette wins.

As a many decade owner of 911s, I obviously love Porsches but I'm not oblivious to their shortcomings. I currently own a 991 GT3 and a 981S (my DD). They are both great cars and I may never sell either one, but they aren't perfect. For example when I read on this forum about the superiority of Porsche interiors, I sometimes have to walk to my garage to check out my cars because I never think of Porsche interiors as being that great. To be fair I didn't opt for any interior upgrades, so I expect that the all leather option would look much better but IMO it's just not worth the premium that Porsche charges. As far as the interior of a Corvette is concerned, a friend of mine has a 2019 Z06 with the 3LZ option, and its interior is superior to both of my cars.

Last edited by fast1; 08-08-2019 at 09:37 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by fast1:
GT3FZS (08-17-2019), hacker-pschorr (08-14-2019), SoCal-NSX (08-08-2019)
Old 08-08-2019, 10:25 AM
Closertotruth
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I think the Vette interior on the C6 was a big jump forward and they have continued to improve.

Last edited by Closertotruth; 08-08-2019 at 11:05 AM.
Old 08-08-2019, 10:48 AM
ZDan
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by ZDan
2019 - 1964 = 55
2019 - 1953 = 66
Originally Posted by K-A
They are in fact false. The 911 (which started as the 901) has been around since 1963, not ‘64 as you mentioned.
The two equations I gave are indeed objectively TRUE statements. You declaring them "false" doesn't change that.

It is DEBATABLE what the starting point should be for the 911. And I just gave numeric equations, I made no claims about what those numbers *meant*.

So if you want to continue the quibble down semantics lane, and pretend like you don’t understand what rounding means within casual conversation to make a point, that makes it 56 years old. Which rounds up to 60.
NOBODY rounds 2-digit figures like this. And ages in particular are not rounded up but are truncated. If you were born in September of 1964, that would make you 55 years old now, not 56. You have to reach your anniversary date before you go up a year. You have to have actually lived *at least* that long, you never "round up" after half a year, and for sure you don't "round up" to the nearest decade and say you are 60 when you're actually 55!
Old 08-08-2019, 11:14 AM
K-A
Drifting

2019 - 1964 = 55
2019 - 1953 = 66

The two equations I gave are indeed objectively TRUE statements. You declaring them "false" doesn't change that.

It is DEBATABLE what the starting point should be for the 911. And I just gave numeric equations, I made no claims about what those numbers *meant*.

NOBODY rounds 2-digit figures like this. And ages in particular are not rounded up but are truncated. If you were born in September of 1964, that would make you 55 years old now, not 56. You have to reach your anniversary date before you go up a year. You have to have actually lived *at least* that long, you never "round up" after half a year, and for sure you don't "round up" to the nearest decade and say you are 60 when you're actually 55!
Dude. You’re reaching to Mutombo lengths now.

Admit it. You tried to pin some “gotcha” semantics on me and got caught on a lie or lack of knowledge yourself.

It’s “”DEBATABLE” huh. Except for the, you know, actual well documented reveal of the 901/911 in 1963. Unless you’re referring to a parallel universe designed to save you face?

You continuing to repeat the “1964” fabrication doesn’t change those.. facts.. either.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cul...e-porsche-911/
Old 08-08-2019, 11:17 AM
RobertR1
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 43 Posts

Are you ok, @K-A ? I'm this close to giving you a hug.
Craigy (08-09-2019)
Old 08-08-2019, 11:28 AM
K-A
Drifting

Originally Posted by RobertR1
Are you ok, @K-A ? I'm this close to giving you a hug.
As long your arms have a torsional rigidity below 15K, hug away my guy. 🤗
Craigy (08-09-2019)
Old 08-08-2019, 12:39 PM
996SPECticle
Pro

Quick, someone post a video! The adage about wrestling a pig is coming to mind.
https://www.latlmes.com/breaking/Por...ndant-richard-

Quick Reply: Thoughts on the new corvette?