Macan 2014-Current

Macan Cross Shopping

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2014, 10:44 PM
amelen
Pro

Received 121 Likes on 81 Posts
Default Macan Cross Shopping

Did anyone cross shop a Macan with a S6/S7 or BMW 550xi? Just curious if anyone's driven both. I took delivery of my Macan S recently but it feels a little sluggish for me (thinking of upgrading to a Turbo if I can find a buyer for my S). Just curious if anyone has cross shopped with the Audi/BMW sedan's though.
Old 09-29-2014, 12:51 AM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

not even a close comparison for the prices..

the s is quick for what it is... not sure why you would need more power in a mini suv... do you do timed laps to grocery store?
Old 09-29-2014, 10:01 AM
pszikla
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

do you do timed laps to grocery store
Haha !
Thanks for the Monday morning laugh!
Pete
Old 09-29-2014, 03:48 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

the next time you drive, push the sport button.. less lag,.. sport plus is even better for lag/throttle response but the shift points are annoying..

all in all i find the macan S more than quick enough for anything i do including driving like a complete *******..

considering the 420hp panamera S has the same engine, im still waiting for someone to come out with a chiptune for the macanS to bump it up... pretty sure the turbo's/etc are identical so it's just detuned so the 3.6 has a lil more gusto for the buck.
Old 09-29-2014, 04:00 PM
P-Car777
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by rijowysock
the next time you drive, push the sport button.. less lag,.. sport plus is even better for lag/throttle response but the shift points are annoying..

all in all i find the macan S more than quick enough for anything i do including driving like a complete *******..

considering the 420hp panamera S has the same engine, im still waiting for someone to come out with a chiptune for the macanS to bump it up... pretty sure the turbo's/etc are identical so it's just detuned so the 3.6 has a lil more gusto for the buck.

^^^^^^This

The beauty of a turbo
Old 09-29-2014, 09:33 PM
amelen
Pro

not even a close comparison for the prices..

the s is quick for what it is... not sure why you would need more power in a mini suv... do you do timed laps to grocery store?
No, but coming from an equally priced (equal hp, weight, etc..) A7, the Macan S feels a little slow. Turbo feels much better but probably too pricey now. 550 and S6 would net out pretty close to what I paid for the Macan S. I don't necessarily need an SUV so simply wondering if others compared it to those models.
Old 09-29-2014, 09:35 PM
amelen
Pro

Sports mode definitely helps. And a tune (if one ever comes out) Would probably help even more
Old 09-29-2014, 11:14 PM
MessyMarvin
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by amelen
No, but coming from an equally priced (equal hp, weight, etc..) A7, the Macan S feels a little slow. Turbo feels much better but probably too pricey now. 550 and S6 would net out pretty close to what I paid for the Macan S. I don't necessarily need an SUV so simply wondering if others compared it to those models.
I think it is a great question. Think of the S6, it has much better performance by every measure and more rear seat room, not to mention a lot bigger trunk. It is priced similar as well.

But it is not an SUV
Old 09-30-2014, 12:44 PM
bmwtye
Rennlist Member

Received 137 Likes on 87 Posts

Doesn't a s6 start at 75k? I wouldn't say that is priced similarly to a Macan S. Granted with options a Macan S can get that high and higher but I wouldn't say out of the box they are similarly priced.
Old 09-30-2014, 05:28 PM
roule
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

In a perfect world we would have the choice between a Macan and an Audi RS4 Avant (which sadly is only offered in Europe). If one needed AWD for slippery roads but did not do extensive offroading, the RS4 Avant would be extremely compelling. The Audi 4.2l naturally aspirated V-8 is good for 450 hp and the lower weight & CG means it handles like a proper touring car should. Fuel economy is a wash, and the loss in cargo capacity compared to the Macan is negligible. But VWAG has decided that the Americas shall only get the A4 allroad with the 2.0 turbo 4. Thus cross-shopping the Macan against true sport wagons is impossible.

The Macan's only real competition in North America is the Audi SQ5, which definitely should be cross-driven. There are pluses and minuses to both the Macan and the SQ5 and for people who need more cargo room and better fuel economy, the Audi is actually the better configuration. For those who put more emphasis on handling, then obviously the Macan has some tricks up its sleeve.
Old 09-30-2014, 06:09 PM
rjhoskins
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by roule
In a perfect world we would have the choice between a Macan and an Audi RS4 Avant (which sadly is only offered in Europe). If one needed AWD for slippery roads but did not do extensive offroading, the RS4 Avant would be extremely compelling. The Audi 4.2l naturally aspirated V-8 is good for 450 hp and the lower weight & CG means it handles like a proper touring car should. Fuel economy is a wash, and the loss in cargo capacity compared to the Macan is negligible. But VWAG has decided that the Americas shall only get the A4 allroad with the 2.0 turbo 4. Thus cross-shopping the Macan against true sport wagons is impossible.

The Macan's only real competition in North America is the Audi SQ5, which definitely should be cross-driven. There are pluses and minuses to both the Macan and the SQ5 and for people who need more cargo room and better fuel economy, the Audi is actually the better configuration. For those who put more emphasis on handling, then obviously the Macan has some tricks up its sleeve.
Very well said. I might add the reason I put the SQ5 on the back burner was due to the fact the Q5 is due for a complete overhaul very soon. Otherwise, I was torn on the SQ5 vs the Macan.
Old 09-30-2014, 07:46 PM
amelen
Pro

Originally Posted by bmwtye
Doesn't a s6 start at 75k? I wouldn't say that is priced similarly to a Macan S. Granted with options a Macan S can get that high and higher but I wouldn't say out of the box they are similarly priced.
An S6 comes pretty loaded as-is. Base 2014 models are currently selling for close to invoice (I was offered under invoice at a local dealership) so ~$70-71k. My Macan S, moderately optioned (basically matches the standard options on the S6), came in at $66k. The S6 is still more expensive, but not by much. What helps the difference is the S6 is selling well below MSRP while Macan's are still selling at MSRP.

I have been getting used to the Macan though - in sports mode it's not too bad. However, since I don't really need an SUV (although a hatchcback would be nice to have), I still wonder if I should have considered the S6 when I made my decision.
Old 09-30-2014, 10:51 PM
sebis
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by amelen
An S6 comes pretty loaded as-is. Base 2014 models are currently selling for close to invoice (I was offered under invoice at a local dealership) so ~$70-71k. My Macan S, moderately optioned (basically matches the standard options on the S6), came in at $66k. The S6 is still more expensive, but not by much. What helps the difference is the S6 is selling well below MSRP while Macan's are still selling at MSRP.

I have been getting used to the Macan though - in sports mode it's not too bad. However, since I don't really need an SUV (although a hatchcback would be nice to have), I still wonder if I should have considered the S6 when I made my decision.
Keep in mind that from a handling perspective, the steering on the Macan is way better than the one on the S6. For me, the steering feel was the deal breaker with Audi.
Old 10-01-2014, 12:26 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Maybe I'm just reading this comment wrong but the "S" is a 3.0L twin turbo and the "Turbo" has a 3.6L twin turbo.

And yes, part of my reasoning for not spending the extra $$$ on the turbo is that I expect someone to come out with a "performance enhancement" for the "S" sometime in the near future. However, I think I'll be able to get in enough trouble with the lowly S.
Old 10-01-2014, 12:33 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 12,173 Likes on 5,291 Posts

BMW X4?

Quick Reply: Macan Cross Shopping