Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2014, 01:59 PM
RESP
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
BMW X4?
Not a fan of the X6 X4 body style.
Didn't find them especially joyful to drive either.

Maybe an XM4 ?
Old 10-02-2014, 09:05 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
BMW X4?
The Macan S is still faster.

The Macan feels like how the base 911 and Cayman S felt to me. Torqueless compared to my N55 535i. However, they're all faster than my Bimmer, including the Macan S (which MT just got a 4.9 0-60 and 13.5 1/4, which are to me astonishingly fast for any SUV). To me, it's a characteristic Porsche feeling, i.e smooth and incredibly linear. The Macan is drama free, but Porsche does this in such a nice manner that you can't help but appreciate the engineering that goes into it. I feel like everything Porsche does is derived from their race heritage first, and then seat-of-the-pants second. I.e, on a track, you don't exactly want your car to roast the tires going through 1st and 2nd, though on the streets where you can't nor shouldn't go much faster than the speed limit, that's where you get the "feeling" of speed.

I'm not crazy about the A6's, although clean, mostly timeless (save for the gimmicky frontal features) and elegant, they just don't rivet me aesthetically, and the Macan does, but the S6 is amazing. For $71K it'd be one of the best pics out there, though for me the Macan fits better in multitudes of ways. Also, the S6 will probably see its resale relatively plummet pretty quickly, while the Macan should hold it better than the vast majority of cars out there.
Old 10-02-2014, 10:34 AM
Rolltide86
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

Originally Posted by RESP

Maybe an XM4 ?
The X4 and X6 are extremely ugly. Modern day Pontiac Azteks
Old 10-02-2014, 02:24 PM
roule
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by RESP

Maybe an XM4 ?
To be fair, the BMW X4 xDrive35i offers BMW's excellent 3.0 liter inline 6, good for 300hp, mated to an 8-speed auto. BMW claims a 0-60 time of 5.2 seconds and a fuel economy of 19/27 mpg.

AutoCar UK did a driving comparison and the two utes are VERY close. What gave Porsche the easy win was styling. But the X4 is no slouch on the road.

Since the RS4 Avant is not sold in North America, I'll take the Macan Turbo in black.
Old 10-02-2014, 09:47 PM
Jeffdehr
Rennlist Member

I just replaced an S6 with a Macan S. The S6 us MUCH faster than the Macan. I think the S6 was faster to 70 mph (in a straight line) than my 991 4S as well, it certainly felt faster.
Old 10-03-2014, 01:18 AM
mrwonder
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

At one point I had a B8 S4, E92 M3 and 987 CS. I always reached for the 987 keys first. Sold all three since, but I only miss the 987. To me, Porsche just offers a much more engaging and intimate driving experience regardless of performance figures.

SUVs are different, but one test drive of the Macan and I was hooked.
Old 10-03-2014, 02:04 AM
K-A
Drifting

To me, the Macan holds the "There Is No Substitute" trademark more truthfully than any Porsche that's come out since the 911. I'd have never considered an SUV/CUV/whatever before, nor would I have imagined one could drive like the Macan with AS/PASM does (leave it to Porsche to do it), nor has any premium car provided me with such great frontal headroom for my height.
Old 10-03-2014, 12:15 PM
amelen
Pro

Received 121 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeffdehr
I just replaced an S6 with a Macan S. The S6 us MUCH faster than the Macan. I think the S6 was faster to 70 mph (in a straight line) than my 991 4S as well, it certainly felt faster.
If I may, what was the reason for the switch?
Old 10-03-2014, 07:15 PM
Jeffdehr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by amelen
If I may, what was the reason for the switch?
I found out the hard way that Audi's do not float. My S6 was parked during a flash flood. I watched from my office window as the water kept getting higher. When it ended there was about 6 inches of water inside the foot wells. It was a total loss....thankfully, there is no way it would have been repaired back to normal.

When I got the S6 it was my only car so I wanted a sports sedan to try and find a compromise between fun and family. It is surprisingly fast and handles well for a large car. I really enjoyed it and was sad to lose it.

I didn't get another S6 only because now I have the 911. That takes care of my fun. I was initially looking at the SQ5 to replace the S6 (I wanted a higher car so I could have more time for the next flash flood ) but found a Macan S on the dealer's lot with options I wanted. Turned out I was able to get the Macan for less than the SQ5.
Old 10-03-2014, 10:40 PM
amelen
Pro

Originally Posted by Jeffdehr
I found out the hard way that Audi's do not float. My S6 was parked during a flash flood. I watched from my office window as the water kept getting higher. When it ended there was about 6 inches of water inside the foot wells. It was a total loss....thankfully, there is no way it would have been repaired back to normal.

When I got the S6 it was my only car so I wanted a sports sedan to try and find a compromise between fun and family. It is surprisingly fast and handles well for a large car. I really enjoyed it and was sad to lose it.

I didn't get another S6 only because now I have the 911. That takes care of my fun. I was initially looking at the SQ5 to replace the S6 (I wanted a higher car so I could have more time for the next flash flood ) but found a Macan S on the dealer's lot with options I wanted. Turned out I was able to get the Macan for less than the SQ5.

I wish I could afford a 911 and a Macan! Did you think the S6 was more fum to drive than the Macan? I haven't considered getting a secondary "fun" car, maybe that is the way to go. However, the best I'd be able to do would be a used boxster.
Old 10-03-2014, 10:47 PM
Rolltide86
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by roule
To be fair, the BMW X4 xDrive35i offers BMW's excellent 3.0 liter inline 6, good for 300hp, mated to an 8-speed auto. BMW claims a 0-60 time of 5.2 seconds and a fuel economy of 19/27 mpg.

AutoCar UK did a driving comparison and the two utes are VERY close. What gave Porsche the easy win was styling. But the X4 is no slouch on the road.
BMW X4 vs Porsche Macan: sports SUV showdown - YouTube

Since the RS4 Avant is not sold in North America, I'll take the Macan Turbo in black.
The X4 brings a whole new meaning to the word "ugly".
Old 10-07-2014, 02:59 PM
amelen
Pro

All good info. Assuming I can sell my Macan S, I'm still considering upgrading to something more sports-sedan and less CUV (S6/S7/550xi/etc..).
Old 10-07-2014, 03:59 PM
roule
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Rolltide86
The X4 brings a whole new meaning to the word "ugly".
Totally agree. The 850i was the last BMW that one could truly call beautiful. Man, that was a long time ago. Bangle and his followers really screwed up everything since then.
Old 10-07-2014, 08:04 PM
K-A
Drifting

A Macan with AS/PASM is sportier feeling than a 550, especially an XI since they force you to take the floaty, higher riding base suspension even if you select M Sport. The 550 is very powerful, but not very sporty feeling, e.g. engine makes no noise, it's very front heavy, wafty, etc.

Powerful and sporty are definitely not one in the same.
Old 10-07-2014, 08:30 PM
Rolltide86
Rennlist Member

Agree with your comments about the 550. Big engine, questionable dynamics. Even the M5 got very marginal reviews. Totally agree with @roule. Bangle ruined BMW design.

Did not even consider a BMW when I was out to replace my wife's Cayenne. Nothing at BMW or MB appealed to me in the least. I was a BMW owner for 20 years. That came to an end in 2000, and have never set foot in a BMW dealer again.

Quick Reply: Macan Cross Shopping