Macan 2014-Current

Anyone ordering a Macan?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2013, 01:28 PM
sebis
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fastm3
I hope Hans-Juergen's comments also apply to their US offerings, but unfortunately, the vast majority of Americans don't even know how to drive a manual, and regrettably that's also true for American Porsche buyers, albeit to a slightly lesser degree perhaps. There are still a few of us left who are keeping the torch lit though!
Heh, I am going to correct you, the vast majority of americans don't even know how to drive.
Old 10-12-2013, 01:33 PM
sebis
Racer

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
Before we bought our 5 series, we were looking at both an S4 and a Q5. Q5 has noticeably more room, dimensions aside.

Porsche is bringing a small sedan, the so-codenamed Pajun. Only problem is it won't be for at least another year. I think it's going to be stunning, but not sure if I can wait that long. Perhaps a 3 year lease on something fun and frugal like a GTi and then grab a Pajun when it comes.
What is your take, does the Q5 has more room than a 5 series in the back?
Old 10-12-2013, 01:45 PM
Suzy991
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sebis
I can definitely tell you that I switched my businesscar from a 2013 Q5 to a 2014 5-series Touring very recently. Room in the back is slightly better in the Q5, but only marginal. BMW is more comfortable IMO.
I think if you compare it with a 5 series sedan, that the difference is a little bigger (touring has more headroom).

Suzy991
Old 10-12-2013, 06:57 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,607 Likes on 1,620 Posts

Originally Posted by Suzy991
but I guess that this time they will be offering these combinations also in North America.

Suzy991
I HIGHLY doubt this.
Old 10-12-2013, 07:00 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,607 Likes on 1,620 Posts

Originally Posted by sebis
Mmmmm, a bit.

The thing about the 5 series is that if you get the multicontour seats, they steal a TON of leg room. They are a lot thicker than the standard seats.

I would say the Q5 is marginally more comfortable as the seat is higher, and there is more headroom resulting in a bit more comfort for an adult.

As far as kids go, the bottom cushions on the 5 were pretty deep, and my kids had a good amount of room. But since I sit so far back, they kicked the seatback a lot.

As big as the 5 is, it doesn't have a capacious rear seat.
Old 10-12-2013, 11:26 PM
sebis
Racer

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
Mmmmm, a bit.

The thing about the 5 series is that if you get the multicontour seats, they steal a TON of leg room. They are a lot thicker than the standard seats.

I would say the Q5 is marginally more comfortable as the seat is higher, and there is more headroom resulting in a bit more comfort for an adult.

As far as kids go, the bottom cushions on the 5 were pretty deep, and my kids had a good amount of room. But since I sit so far back, they kicked the seatback a lot.

As big as the 5 is, it doesn't have a capacious rear seat.
Thanks, this explains the contradiction I was experiencing, while E63 has on paper marginally less rear leg room than a 5 series, in real life there was so much more room in the E63 than the 550i equipped with multi-contour seats I was testing.

On paper, , Q5 has more leg room than E63 but .5 inch less shoulder room. I am anxious to see the dimensions on the Macan, I think there will be less cargo than the Q5 (due to the sloping rear) but about the same if not marginally more interior room since the published exterior dimensions are bigger.

If the Macan is as much fun to drive as the early reports from the passenger seat indicate and priced with essential options doesn't become prohibitively expensive, I may have to get in line for one in 2014. My concern is that while the Turbo may start at $75,000, the actual price by the time you add the essentials will be way north of 80K. We shall see...
Old 10-12-2013, 11:31 PM
sebis
Racer

Originally Posted by Suzy991
I can definitely tell you that I switched my businesscar from a 2013 Q5 to a 2014 5-series Touring very recently. Room in the back is slightly better in the Q5, but only marginal. BMW is more comfortable IMO.
I think if you compare it with a 5 series sedan, that the difference is a little bigger (touring has more headroom).

Suzy991
Thanks, I wish BMW offered a 5 series wagon in the US, they used to do so few years back. I remember when they introduced the first gen. X5, it had less room inside/cargo than the 540i wagon ...
Old 10-16-2013, 10:13 PM
sebis
Racer

Time for a dedicated Macan forum, they already have one up at 6speed... Just a sugestion to the admin to have it up by the time is launching.
Old 10-16-2013, 10:19 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Pig vs Mini Pig

I hope so
Old 10-17-2013, 04:37 PM
sebis
Racer

Another review and a new interior picture, some of the details are known already but there are some new as well:

IF WE had any worries that the all-new Porsche Macan SUV wouldn’t be a "real" Porsche, they quickly evaporated following a few minutes in an early prototype with one of the brand’s test drivers at the wheel.

Barrelling into a sharp bend just outside Los Angeles, Hans-Juergen Woehler, a development engineer for Porsche SUVs, brakes hard — harder than you’d expect any SUV could. Yet he turns in smoothly, stamping on the throttle in the exit and correcting a gentle slide. The lack of body roll, the agility and the playfulness are hallmarks of the 911, Cayman and Boxster, but here they are in a 4,600mm-long SUV.
We rode in a car on the standard steel springs and one on optional air-suspension (the Turbo has this as standard), and both felt firm, but in a grown-up way. In short, it rides like a Porsche.

The optional air-suspension system is the best choice for those who think they’ll take their Macan over challenging terrain. Any heavy off-roading is out of the question — there are no differential locks or low-range gears — but cars with this can at least be raised by 40mm to get over outlying rocks or muddy fields. They can also be lowered by 45mm from the standard height to make loading heavy items into the boot easier.
http://www.bdlive.co.za/life/motorin...-excited-about

Old 10-18-2013, 11:24 AM
modifier
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...aVfIJ8zMo#t=82

* Oops. I didn't realize this thread was so long. So this might have already been posted. Sorry if that freaks some of you out
Old 10-18-2013, 05:36 PM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Notice it STILL HAD THE CAMO in the video. Just show us the dang lights already. Its also interesting that they focused so much on sand driving. I guess the ME will be a big market.
Old 10-20-2013, 02:10 AM
pmacan
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Still no macan section in rennlist ?
Old 10-20-2013, 05:53 AM
Suzy991
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pmacan
Still no macan section in rennlist ?
I don't get it either. Both 6Speed and Rennteam have it for a while now. Seems that the admins are not very active in this section

Suzy991
Old 10-20-2013, 10:37 AM
sebis
Racer

It takes about 5 minutes to create a new topic, I think. Unless their software is build on 10 year technology like Healthcare.gov.

Last edited by sebis; 10-21-2013 at 12:02 AM.

Quick Reply: Anyone ordering a Macan?