Macan 2014-Current

Porsche Car Connect activation problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2023, 03:13 PM
rob944s2
Rennlist Member

Received 385 Likes on 153 Posts
Default Porsche Car Connect activation problems

I took delivery of a new 2023 Macan GTS a few months ago and recently signed up for the "Car Connect" service online through my.porsche.com. For those who haven't done this before, after signing up you are given an installation code, which you are instructed to take to your dealer so they can activate your car with the service.

Car Connect gives you access to certain data about your vehicle through the My Porsche app, including fuel level, oil level, tire pressures, and certain functions such as the ability to lock the doors. I understand that these features are not all that exciting, but I would like them to be activated properly.

Here's my issue, when I originally took delivery of the car the technology guy at the dealership explained they were having trouble getting new Macans registered with the system and it might be best to wait. Now it's a few months later and I brought the installation code to them to try to have the vehicle activated. They hooked the car up to their computer and tried the activation, but it never went through.

They explained that they have asked Porsche N.A. about a solution and they haven't gotten an answer back yet other than they are aware of the issue.

My question for the group is whether anyone else is aware of this issue or has had this issue when trying to get their car activated at their dealership. Anyone with a 2022 or newer car had their car added successfully?
Old 10-10-2023, 03:43 PM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Received 964 Likes on 644 Posts

We had issues w/ getting our 2022 GTS to activate when new. After a couple trips to the dealer they were able to get it activated. Then it stopped working, turns out there was a software update that had to be applied to our car. After that was done it has worked fine ever since.
Old 10-10-2023, 04:46 PM
Russian Mafia
Burning Brakes

Received 855 Likes on 419 Posts

I tried, failed to even get a code and have been in limbo for almost three months as I reached the point where the ongoing effort outweighed the value.
Old 10-11-2023, 07:30 AM
Paul125
Intermediate

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

Similar story here. I picked up my '23 GTS on 12/31 - the dealership rushed through the PDI process as it had arrived the day before and they wanted to get it delivered before the end of year, and never activated Car Connect. I brought it back a few weeks later to get Car Connect activated and after almost an hour, the SA told me they were unable to get it activated. Being familiar with the My Porsche app I wasn't overly anxious about getting it activated and left it that they could try again at my 10k service which it goes in for in a few weeks...we'll see what happens then.

Last edited by Paul125; 10-11-2023 at 07:36 AM.
Old 10-11-2023, 10:51 AM
sivikvtec
Intermediate

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

I bought mine new in June of this year and they couldn’t get it working at the dealership and I could never get it working at home despite numerous attempts.

Im not too worried about it, it seemed like a pretty worthless app anyways.
Old 10-11-2023, 12:40 PM
MidCoastMainer
AutoX

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Porsche PCM System Problems

We picked up our ’22 Macan S at a Wichita, KS dealership in June 2022. We ordered from them because of a previous relationship and because we were unable to get an allocation with our Maine dealer where we live or several other NH dealers. We’ve had both Porsche Connect and AT&T in car wi-fi since we took possession. During our drive home we had several issues with the nay system, with Apple Car play not loading correctly and with loading the Porsche ID. Once home, I tried various recommendations from others on the forum to try and resolve these issues. When none really worked, I visited our Maine dealer whose service department initially told me my iPhone was too old. After I replaced my phone with a later model, the problems persisted. Major problems included sporadic Porsche ID load, loss of all past “recent destinations” and “home address” once the Porsche ID did load, volume freezes and load probs with Apple Car Play. I was fortunate to later run across the Maine dealership’s Service Director, a pleasant car guy, he videoed my problems, talked with Porsche NA and they replaced the PCM under warranty. Although things initially looked good, the same problems once again persist. The Service Director recently again videotaped my issues and is talking with Porsche NA. I expect a response shortly. I’ve been a car enthusiast all my driving life, have been on many tracks here and in Europe and owned a number of modified cars. I bought the Macan S for the driving experience and have not been disappointed. However, the continuing technology problems in a vehicle of this cost and caliber are very frustrating and unacceptable. The have sufficiently bothered me that I’ve considered selling the car. I expect my best short term solution will be to get rid of Porsche Connect and the Porsche ID. At the moment we’re waiting to see what happens from Porsche since we truly enjoy the Macan and consider the S the sweet spot of the range (although I’m sure GTS guys will disagree).
Old 10-11-2023, 08:49 PM
gellenole
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

my dealer and porsche NA blames my home location. But I also own a Q5 and it also has audi's connect app. that runs fine all day long. Very reliable. Porsche Connect will not connect for 2 weeks and then suddenly connect with partial information after a day, then die again for 2 weeks. been like that forever. factory reset the car, porsche customer service tried to help. voda phone updated, but nothing helped in this case. still sporatic and unable to use the features.
Old 10-12-2023, 08:39 PM
rob944s2
Rennlist Member

Good to hear I'm not the only one. If anyone hears anything about a resolution please post. Meanwhile, if you also have issues getting the Car Connect service activated through your dealer please share your experience.
Old 10-13-2023, 02:31 PM
gellenole
Advanced

Originally Posted by rob944s2
Good to hear I'm not the only one. If anyone hears anything about a resolution please post. Meanwhile, if you also have issues getting the Car Connect service activated through your dealer please share your experience.
ahh activation was no problem. but I've taken my car over to porsche and they did whatever they did to no avail. they blame the module and wanted to swap it, but tech didn't do well with my car, messed up a bunch of $$$ cosmetic stuff. I told them that right before I brought it in, the car was just freshly detailed and they left it out to get soiled by rain and leaves...
ahh well... the tech also dirtied the inside of the car quite a bit and didn't clean up. big mistake to bring it to the dealer imho. they want to replace the antenna, but if it's that intermittent, I don't think it's the antenna.
Old 10-14-2023, 08:33 AM
doug751
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 22 Posts

If I ever get the PCM junk working will I be able to unlock my car from my phone? That is my only reason to use this stuff.

Also, are you all aware that to activate you must accept all Porsche data collection from car including to use for product improvement, and, you must allow the phone app to track your location at all times, not just when the app is being used? Is that worth all this trouble?
Old 10-14-2023, 11:27 AM
rob944s2
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by doug751
If I ever get the PCM junk working will I be able to unlock my car from my phone? That is my only reason to use this stuff.
Not unlock, but the dealer tells me that locking is possible, along with the other features I mentioned in the OP.

Originally Posted by doug751
you must allow the phone app to track your location at all times, not just when the app is being used?
[Citation needed]
The following users liked this post:
gellenole (10-16-2023)
Old 10-14-2023, 12:28 PM
sivikvtec
Intermediate

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Not unlock, but the dealer tells me that locking is possible, along with the other features I mentioned in the OP.

[Citation needed]
my iPhone gave me the same message about it being mandatory to allow the app to track me at all times. I even allowed it for awhile and the app still wouldn’t work.
Old 10-14-2023, 09:22 PM
doug751
Racer

I just erased it all from my phone and deactivated it all in the car. Onstar is better than this junk. Porsche should be ashamed of themselves!
Old 10-16-2023, 10:40 PM
gellenole
Advanced

[Citation needed]
I can confirm that locking is possible, but there's no requirement where GPS tracking is needed always on. I've used it where it's consistent over a month and GPS is not always on. only when I use the app -- Customer service never asked for anything of the sort. If it's a requirement I'm going to throw this app in the trash.
I'd like to know with a citation as well where GPS needs to be on always.
Old 10-17-2023, 07:22 AM
doug751
Racer

When you try to activate my Porsche / Porsche connect on your phone it forces you to allow My Porsche to always have access to your location in the iPhone locations settings.

Also, there is a check box in Porsche PCM setup in your car that requires you to allow Porsche to collect all your data for product improvement. If you do not allow that they do not connect PCM services like real time traffic and internet streaming in your car.

and you are paying them for this service after the intro. Nice. And it does not work most of the time anyhow.

Last edited by doug751; 10-17-2023 at 07:34 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Larson E. Rapp (10-17-2023)

Quick Reply: Porsche Car Connect activation problems