Macan 2014-Current

Macan Reliability

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2023, 11:42 AM
pdxbrian
8th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Macan Reliability

I am thinking about getting a Macan but having read through this forum and various other online sources, I am not sure if what I am learning about potential problems is overstated or not. While I am quite happy to invest the dollars to properly maintain a car, when it has a reputation for completely blowing up a major/expensive component even when maintained (engine, transfer case), I do wonder if that car is for me. Although I will make sure that I get a car with either a Porsche based warranty or some extended warranty, I would also like to minimize pain by choosing wisely. I would be grateful for some expert thinking around these questions:

1. Are any of the model Macan's more reliable than others (Base vs S vs GTS...some years better than others)? As one example, there is a bunch of information about the Macan S's problems with oil leaks and the resulting high cost (although perhaps Porsche has a new approach for this?).
2. For the major problems, has Porsche already figured out fixes for both current and prior models (ie...steel bolts for the oil pan)? There is always information lag from online research so maybe many of the problems, hopefully, have fixes that prevent the "full engine replace" scenario.
3. Does the story change if considering Cayenne's instead of a Macan?

Your insights much appreciated. My last Porsche was a 928 and I would love to get back to a Porsche.
Old 02-16-2023, 01:05 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,137 Likes on 1,823 Posts

All Macans are very reliable. Everything you read online is overstated. Most people go to car forums to see if their recent failure is common and/or how to fix it. You end up with a distorted view of reality. However, no car is perfect and there are three issues you ought to be aware of: 1) transfer case. Porsche has extended the warranty to 7 years on that part, 2) timing cover leak - screws were not torqued properly and fail. The factory used to require engine out and dealers were charging $15k to repair it. Indies doing without engine out for around $1k and the factory no longer requires engine out so even at the dealer the fix is cheaper 3) the PDK can fail and the factory requires replacement of the entire box at $20k. Again, indies have been fixing these boxes for years and cost is usually between $1-3k depending on the issue. They fail because they are programmed for fuel economy and shift excessively. It mostly affects people who drive in stop and go traffic and those who don't service their PDKs on time. The boxes themselves are solid and you can prevent with service and by driving in sport mode.

There are many Macans on the forum with 100-200k mi and no issues. Look them up. I feel the Macan is so reliable, I bought mine used and passed on the extended warranty. If you're the kind of guy who takes their car to the dealer for everything, the Macan may prove to be expensive if one of the above mentioned issues manifests for you. Hope this helps.
The following 4 users liked this post by Wilder:
///Bruce (08-06-2024), hilander444 (08-30-2023), Santanamoda (02-18-2023), spyderphile (05-21-2024)
Old 02-16-2023, 02:24 PM
pdxbrian
8th Gear

That was extremely helpful! Thank you for taking the time to offer another perspective.
The following 2 users liked this post by pdxbrian:
///Bruce (08-06-2024), Wilder (02-16-2023)
Old 02-16-2023, 02:38 PM
Highline-Autos.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 526 Likes on 384 Posts

@pdxbrian something to ease your worries about the potential Macan purchase would be an extended warranty. Between our two providers, we'd be able to provide a top tier warranty on the vehicle for around 5 years / up to 100k miles, $100 deductible, $4K-$5K. Keep my information and reach out if you start closing in on one you like, I'd be happy to provide exact pricing and example contracts that explain coverage. tgibson@highline-autos.com or (855) 924-1333

Official RECARO Automotive Retailer: www.highline-autos.com/product-category/recaro/

Highline Autos Magazine - Volume XXI, Issue 03 https://bit.ly/3wTsNzM

Old 02-16-2023, 04:42 PM
VAGfan
Pro

Received 300 Likes on 197 Posts

The Macan is a fairly reliable vehicle......but it is no Toyota!

To own any German car, you need one of the following:
- "Deep" pockets.
- A warrantee, original, CPO, or aftermarket.
- The ability to fix it yourself.

Last edited by VAGfan; 02-16-2023 at 04:44 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by VAGfan:
jbx2 (08-30-2023), Paul125 (02-17-2023)
Old 02-16-2023, 05:09 PM
pdxbrian
8th Gear

My reason for asking is all about the possible overstating of the various documented issues. My other two cars are a Jaguar and a Mercedes, both of which have out performed their reputations with the Jaguar far exceeding it's rather awful reputation (I hope I did not just jinx myself). I agree with the comment about Toyotas and I think none of us would be here on this forum if all we wanted was a boring but reliable car. I will be going with the warranty route because, while I can afford reasonable maintenance and do some myself, I would be really unhappy absorbing the cost of a blown engine. Again, with a possible jinx, I do not have extended warranties on the other vehicles nor did I ever feel I needed them. The Jaguar has a "bulletproof" (third jinx) V8 but it only took Jaguar 10 years to get to that point.

Old 02-16-2023, 05:27 PM
///Bruce
Pro

Received 146 Likes on 114 Posts

What model are you considering? And, since you're asking about reliability do I assume you're thinking a used one?
Old 02-16-2023, 05:38 PM
pdxbrian
8th Gear

Whichever model is least probable to blow an engine (or something else) would be my response. I am actually happy with all the models as even the 4 cylinder had enough performance that I would be satisfied.
Old 02-16-2023, 05:39 PM
pdxbrian
8th Gear

And sorry, yes a used one.
Old 02-16-2023, 06:00 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,137 Likes on 1,823 Posts

All of the Macan engines are solid. None are going to explode. All of them have the same PDK, which is solid except for the issues I described above. Anything beyond what I mentioned and besides normal wear and tear would be extraordinary. In the context of the complexity of newer cars, the Macan is extremely reliable and on par with many Japanese brands.

https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...roll-call.html
The following users liked this post:
///Bruce (08-06-2024)
Old 02-16-2023, 09:58 PM
#1SomeGuy
Burning Brakes

Received 556 Likes on 332 Posts

Originally Posted by avid
All of the Macan engines are solid. None are going to explode. All of them have the same PDK, which is solid except for the issues I described above. Anything beyond what I mentioned and besides normal wear and tear would be extraordinary. In the context of the complexity of newer cars, the Macan is extremely reliable and on par with many Japanese brands.

https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...roll-call.html
Agreed.

Macan's, especially the 95B.2, so 2020 and onward, since they had discovered and addressed the transfer case and timing cover by this point, are very reliable.
The following 2 users liked this post by #1SomeGuy:
mavfan909 (05-14-2024), Rubystar (02-12-2024)
Old 02-16-2023, 10:31 PM
pdxbrian
8th Gear

Another good tip!...many thanks.
Old 02-16-2023, 11:36 PM
///Bruce
Pro

Received 146 Likes on 114 Posts

Forgive... it sounds like you are looking for a reason NOT to purchase one. Before I wound up buying mine, I joined several forums. MBWorld, MacanForum, this one and Alfa Romeo. I wanted something similar to what I had several years ago, a 2009 MB ML63AMG. An absolute beast. Previous owner had a habit of tuning up cars and then selling them. Tough life, I'm sure. This one had 550HP with upgraded 2-pc rotors. Those were the days of the Sport Utes. Now, a new generation we find ourselves in now. BMW has a X3 or X4 with 500+HP. Cheap finish and a brutally hard ride. Alfa's were breaking down a lot. Dropped that idea. MB had their GLC63S AMG. I disliked the very cheap-looking flat black rear bumper trim. Very distracting on a vehicle that costs that much. Then I looked at the Macan. Drove two. One CPO'd and totally ragged out and a new one. By this time I had a list of items I wanted in mine: air suspension, Chrono Pkg, 18-way seats for my back and NO trialer hitch. I found mine virtually in Columbus Ohio sitting on their showrrom floor. I'm south of Houston.

Any vehicle, ANY, have issues. Some more than others. My wife ordered her 2020 MB C63S coupe herself. Optioned it herself also. Neither of our vehicles has ever let us down. Hers? No problems so far at all. Mine? Had the TCC leak fixed under warranty. Replaced a leaking A/C line and the alternator due to oil getting into it from the leak. But...other than that? Nada! Air suspension and PDK issues? Nope. Electrical gremlins? Nope. Rattles, noise? Not really. Fit and finish? Can't complain.

Now, depending on your HP/TQ needs, investigate. Some here and other forums love the 4-banger. I'm old school. I wanted the Turbo, which was the model I wanted with the options already mentioned.

The Macans are good all-wheel drive SUV's. They're small and very nimble compared to most SUV's out there today. Tuning mods are limitless. Gas mileage? Stock, I average 19mpg with 22-23mpg on the highway driving 70+.

But, none of us here are going to make payments for you. This is your decision. GL.
Old 02-17-2023, 12:13 AM
pdxbrian
8th Gear

It is actually the opposite as I am just trying to make sure I don't do anything dumb. Given the replies in this thread, I will "go for it" and plan to purchase with cash so payments are not a factor. The reason for hesitation includes gems like the video below but given the guidance and concurrence to go 2020+, I am reasonably confident and hopeful (along with an extended warranty) that I won't be burning money just for fun. All cars are a gamble and if I can stomach a Jaguar surely a Macan can't be that much of a leap.

///Bruce (02-17-2023)
Old 02-17-2023, 02:20 PM
chassis
Rennlist Member

Received 1,462 Likes on 1,067 Posts

Originally Posted by pdxbrian
I am thinking about getting a Macan but having read through this forum and various other online sources, I am not sure if what I am learning about potential problems is overstated or not. While I am quite happy to invest the dollars to properly maintain a car, when it has a reputation for completely blowing up a major/expensive component even when maintained (engine, transfer case), I do wonder if that car is for me. Although I will make sure that I get a car with either a Porsche based warranty or some extended warranty, I would also like to minimize pain by choosing wisely. I would be grateful for some expert thinking around these questions:

1. Are any of the model Macan's more reliable than others (Base vs S vs GTS...some years better than others)? As one example, there is a bunch of information about the Macan S's problems with oil leaks and the resulting high cost (although perhaps Porsche has a new approach for this?).
2. For the major problems, has Porsche already figured out fixes for both current and prior models (ie...steel bolts for the oil pan)? There is always information lag from online research so maybe many of the problems, hopefully, have fixes that prevent the "full engine replace" scenario.
3. Does the story change if considering Cayenne's instead of a Macan?

Your insights much appreciated. My last Porsche was a 928 and I would love to get back to a Porsche.
Newer, lower mileage, lower horsepower vehicles are more reliable, all else being equal.

Timing cover oil leak and transfer case oil leak are noteworthy on the Macan.

It’s your call on the cost to rectify these if they happen, vs the cost of a third party extended warranty to mitigate the potential occurrence.

The problems might not happen. Or they might happen. Identify the worst case and make the decision whether you can accept it.

Cayenne, depending on year/mileage/power level, seems pretty reliable. 3.6 V6 engine and transfer case issues I believe are part of 958 ownership.

So far 9Y0 doesn’t have catastrophic issues after 4 model years. Early Audi installations of the 2.9V6 had rocker arm problems but no Porsche owner reports yet. No transfer case problems identified so far but there is a common V6 driveline hum/vibration reported by several owners, that has no definitive diagnosis or solution yet. Two of us have cars at the dealer for this now, we will see if they say “normal function” or “could not replicate”.

Last edited by chassis; 02-17-2023 at 02:26 PM.
996clubsport (09-20-2023)

Quick Reply: Macan Reliability