Notices
Macan 2014-Current

Macan Reliability

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2023, 04:26 PM
BondJ
Pro

Received 352 Likes on 239 Posts

Purchasing a modern Porsche, regardless of model, is all about warranty. Make sure you have a solid one. Porsche clearly regard its product as disposable. Beyond on a certain age/mileage it will not offerer a warranty, regardless of service history. That says it all…
The following 2 users liked this post by BondJ:
996clubsport (09-20-2023), chassis (02-17-2023)
Old 02-18-2023, 03:09 AM
chamilka
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

This is very timely post as I am looking to buy a Macan as well. I typically buy older model year Porsches that are out of warranty/CPO as I can not afford newer model year cars . I looked at every YouTube video that talks about Macan issues as well. This post sort of helped ease the anxiety. so thank you for the post as well as the replies. I think 2019+ is obviously low risk and many are CPO cars so you get 2-5 years of warranty, however 2019+ are comparatively more expensive specially S and up. I test drove 2017 and 2022 base models at the local dealer - I did not feel enough punch, sound or excitement, 22 was mush better but not enough to excite me. It looks like I have to go with a S or GTS which means I have to settle for pre 2019 as those are lot more affordable. I have to take the risk , If money is not an issue then definitely 2019+ is the way to go.
when I was looking to buy a Cayenne long time ago, I too was worried about issues related to 955/957 Cayenne models at the time. I have gone through three Cayenns (two 955 S and one 957 GTS) and I would say those issues were real - luckily I am mechanically inclined and with lots of help from Rennlist community I was able to fix them without having go bankrupt, but not everybody wants to wrench right so I can appreciate your concern. Good luck!!

Last edited by chamilka; 02-18-2023 at 03:11 AM.
The following users liked this post:
chassis (02-18-2023)
Old 02-18-2023, 03:14 AM
chamilka
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BondJ
Purchasing a modern Porsche, regardless of model, is all about warranty. Make sure you have a solid one. Porsche clearly regard its product as disposable. Beyond on a certain age/mileage it will not offerer a warranty, regardless of service history. That says it all…
I have not had much success with third party extended warranties (CPO is solid), may be things have changed?
Old 02-18-2023, 09:05 AM
pdxbrian
8th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Just a note of thanks for the various replies of late. Hoping to be in a Macan sooner rather than later.
chassis (02-18-2023)
Old 02-18-2023, 09:46 AM
Mrrdstr
Rennlist Member

Received 180 Likes on 105 Posts
Default 2021 Macan GTS

After spending months & months at the dealer, Porsche NA is buying back my 2021 Macan GTS.

Misfire cylinder number 3 and after pulling everything out, disassembling the entire engine the big boys at corporate level believe the DME module might be the culprit. Unbelievable waste of time.

Good luck
chassis (02-18-2023)
Old 02-18-2023, 10:49 AM
95_993
Race Car

Received 574 Likes on 386 Posts

Originally Posted by chamilka
This is very timely post as I am looking to buy a Macan as well. I typically buy older model year Porsches that are out of warranty/CPO as I can not afford newer model year cars . I looked at every YouTube video that talks about Macan issues as well. This post sort of helped ease the anxiety. so thank you for the post as well as the replies. I think 2019+ is obviously low risk and many are CPO cars so you get 2-5 years of warranty, however 2019+ are comparatively more expensive specially S and up. I test drove 2017 and 2022 base models at the local dealer - I did not feel enough punch, sound or excitement, 22 was mush better but not enough to excite me. It looks like I have to go with a S or GTS which means I have to settle for pre 2019 as those are lot more affordable. I have to take the risk , If money is not an issue then definitely 2019+ is the way to go.
when I was looking to buy a Cayenne long time ago, I too was worried about issues related to 955/957 Cayenne models at the time. I have gone through three Cayenns (two 955 S and one 957 GTS) and I would say those issues were real - luckily I am mechanically inclined and with lots of help from Rennlist community I was able to fix them without having go bankrupt, but not everybody wants to wrench right so I can appreciate your concern. Good luck!!
Agree on the timing of this post. I am looking at Macans as well. We have a couple Cayennes (955 & 9y0). Looking to add a Macan and this thread has been helpful in summarizing key "considerations".
Old 02-18-2023, 11:55 AM
chassis
Rennlist Member

Received 1,530 Likes on 1,115 Posts

Originally Posted by Mrrdstr
After spending months & months at the dealer, Porsche NA is buying back my 2021 Macan GTS.

Misfire cylinder number 3 and after pulling everything out, disassembling the entire engine the big boys at corporate level believe the DME module might be the culprit. Unbelievable waste of time.

Good luck
Sorry to hear of the inconvenience and glad to see the car was repurchased.

Which engine was in your ‘21 GTS? 2.9 or 3.0?
Old 02-18-2023, 12:06 PM
chamilka
Rennlist Member

Good luck
I assume , all covered by warranty right?
Old 02-19-2023, 09:22 AM
Mrrdstr
Rennlist Member

Received 180 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by chamilka
I assume , all covered by warranty right?
Yes all under warranty
Old 08-30-2023, 05:52 PM
NostromoStarship
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes all under warranty
I recommend getting the Porsche, I agree sport mode disregards this issue but gas mileage is affected a lot more. For spirited driving I do sport and paddle shifting, but for traffic the Porsche 958 just seems to hate doing that. It shifts for fuel economy not for performance in regular mode. My 2023 Audi A4 had better a better shifting automatic and was great for traffic. Doesn’t seem like the software is proper for regular mode but maybe a tune could fix that. As for any other issues I have had for the first 2 months of ownership it was replacing the timing cover bolts that fail which was $13 and the transfer case was replace under warranty just in case. I would let you know that it doesn’t seem like the dealer is inspecting the transfer case, they are just replacing if a customer complains that it might be it. Meaning you don’t really know if it was the problem. My car needs both valve cover gaskets replace which is crazy to me at 46,000mi. Currently have a 2007 4Runner that has 300k mi and no leaks so that was disappointing to see. What I suggest before buying one is to have them remove the plastic engine covering and inspect the seals and timing cover. You won’t know when buying because it is all covered up. I think you are more likely to have these leaks than not because the bolt is aluminum and it is in a area that is sensitive to vibration. The bolt crumbled with my hands and broke in half. If these are the only issues with the 958, I’m happy with that. My only other issue is the car seems to have a rock chip magnet. Paint is much thinner on newer cars due to robotics advances in assembly line and epa regulations. Rocks will not scratch, they will mostly chip when being hit. Make sure to buy one with a few rock chips so it will not make you as mad as it did me lol
Old 08-31-2023, 11:44 AM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,248 Likes on 1,860 Posts

Originally Posted by NostromoStarship
Doesn’t seem like the software is proper for regular mode but maybe a tune could fix that.
That is precisely the problem and the fix. The engines in the Macan, with exception of the 2.0s, are gas guzzlers. Porsche's solution to improve fuel economy seems to have been transmission programming. It's ridiculous that it puts you in 7th gear at 30mph. The transmission in your A4 is probably the same one (it is in older A4s but I don't know about new ones). These transmissions are solid and have been around for nearly two decades. It fails in the Macan because that constant shifting in crawling traffic day after day, year after year generates excess heat that eventually deteriorates solenoids and other internal parts. That's why switching to sport mode in crawling traffic is a good preventative measure. Less shifting and less heat.
Larson E. Rapp (08-31-2023)
Old 08-31-2023, 11:57 AM
VAGfan
Pro

Received 311 Likes on 204 Posts

It is not the excessive shifting that causes excessive transmission fluid temperature, it is the continuous "soft" clutch engagement during stop and go traffic. I was observing the clutch hydraulic fluid pressures while driving in stop and go conditions, and one of the clutches is always slightly engaged (and slipping, causing fluid temperature rise, and clutch wear), even when the car is stationary. The only way to avoid this would be to shift into N, during long full-stop traffic situations. Sport Mode or manual shifting does nothing to reduce this clutch slip operating condition. This soft clutch engagment, while at a stop, is done to keep the power application smooth when you start moving again, effectively emulating conventional auto transmission torque converter "creep".

I was surprised to see this, as I assumed that both clutch pressures were zero, when the car is stationary in D.

Last edited by VAGfan; 08-31-2023 at 12:00 PM.
spyderphile (05-22-2024)
Old 08-31-2023, 12:06 PM
///Bruce
Pro

Received 156 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by Wilder
That is precisely the problem and the fix. The engines in the Macan, with exception of the 2.0s, are gas guzzlers. Porsche's solution to improve fuel economy seems to have been transmission programming. It's ridiculous that it puts you in 7th gear at 30mph. The transmission in your A4 is probably the same one (it is in older A4s but I don't know about new ones). These transmissions are solid and have been around for nearly two decades. It fails in the Macan because that constant shifting in crawling traffic day after day, year after year generates excess heat that eventually deteriorates solenoids and other internal parts. That's why switching to sport mode in crawling traffic is a good preventative measure. Less shifting and less heat.
I'm not seeing how averaging 22+mpg on the highway at 70mph is a gas hog. I'm just soutth of Houston. Gotta tank up once a week. Half at speed; the other traffic lights and stop signs. There, I average 18mpg. My Porsche? A 2018 Turbo. Of which I maintain at a high level. And since I drive in Sport all the time, I can't speed to your second point. But a gas hog? Nah.
Old 09-10-2023, 05:22 PM
porsche518
Instructor

Received 79 Likes on 31 Posts

Been lurking through this forum. My wife and I wanted to surprise my in laws with a macan. They are wonderful people and thought this would be a great way to show our gratitude. I have had several 911s and gt3s without any serious issues. And wanted to research what model year and trim offered the best ease of ownership. Willing to cover an extended warranty as mentioned above. From what I gather a base macan after 2020 is the best. If not I would appreciate some suggestions.
Old 09-10-2023, 05:48 PM
///Bruce
Pro

Received 156 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by porsche518
Been lurking through this forum. My wife and I wanted to surprise my in laws with a macan. They are wonderful people and thought this would be a great way to show our gratitude. I have had several 911s and gt3s without any serious issues. And wanted to research what model year and trim offered the best ease of ownership. Willing to cover an extended warranty as mentioned above. From what I gather a base macan after 2020 is the best. If not I would appreciate some suggestions.
May I recommend as a current owner since new of an ‘18 Macan Turbo with current mileage of about 68500 the following advice: learn about each model. Know the basic differences among them all. I joined forums months before I bought mine. I ‘knew’ what I was purchasing. In other words I made a list of must haves. There were only four. I wanted the turbo model. Air suspension. Chrono. 18-way seats. And no trailer hitch. My Turbo has those and more. Did i make the right decision? The Macan forums convinced me I did.

It just happens to be red on black.
chassis (09-10-2023)

Quick Reply: Macan Reliability