Notices
Macan 2014-Current

Transmission problems...beware

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2023, 05:42 PM
dak911
Three Wheelin'

Received 148 Likes on 121 Posts

So City/Urban used vehicles vs Suburban used vehicles will have a shorter transmission life?
Old 08-31-2023, 05:46 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,472 Likes on 4,122 Posts

Originally Posted by dak911
So City/Urban used vehicles vs Suburban used vehicles will have a shorter transmission life?
I would say so, and the real irony is one reason people select the PDK over a manual is because they sit in traffic.
Old 08-31-2023, 06:09 PM
Larson E. Rapp
Pro

Received 399 Likes on 242 Posts

Fact is, I have yet to hear of anyone needing to replace those clutches. So whatever they're doing, it seems to be OK.

I'm skeptical that slipping them at idle will generate a ton of heat, but could be persuaded by data. Admittedly, I also don't see why it 's necessary to slip the clutches constantly in order to achieve smooth takeoffs, unless it's important to keep the discs warm for whatever reason.

Last edited by Larson E. Rapp; 08-31-2023 at 06:17 PM.
Old 08-31-2023, 06:54 PM
dak911
Three Wheelin'

Received 148 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
I would say so, and the real irony is one reason people select the PDK over a manual is because they sit in traffic.
IF the Macan was available in manual, there would be a "discussion" with my wife about that, and IF there was a DIESEL Oh boy
But NO,the AxxxxxS want to give us EV's NO NO NO NO EV FOR ME
Old 08-31-2023, 09:09 PM
DHL
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by VAGfan
I was monitoring the real-time clutch pressures, during some stop-and-go driving. I did not monitor the fluid temp, but I think the temperatures will start climbing if you are stuck in traffic, spending long periods in D, without the car not moving.
No, the engineers are not idiots, but making the dual-clutch smooth (by keeping the clutch slightly engaged, and slipping) before the driver releases the brake and starts accelerating is a goal of the transmission control software, to prevent customer complaints of "clunky" or "jerky" transmission behavior, as most people are used-to the smoother operation (and low speed creep behavior) of conventional automatic transmissions. The clutches are durable enough for some calculated average lifetime of clutch slip during stop-and-go traffic usage, but knowing how this transmission works allows us to shift to N, during long periods of stand-stills, to hopefully extend the life of the transmission.

Clutch slipping is the only thing that raises fluid temperatures. Changing gears doesn't create significant friction to increase the fluid temperature.
So why the suggestion to use sport mode full time if the clutch slippage also occurs in that mode? Is it because sport mode lowers coolant temps (slightly)? BTW I am a new owner of a 2022 GTS and this post has me concerned. Luckily I purchased the extended Porsche warranty for up to 10 years and am now glad I did.

Also, if you are right, maybe the first reason I have heard to re-engage that annoying "Start-Stop" function wicj shuts down the drive train while stationary.

Last edited by DHL; 08-31-2023 at 09:12 PM.
Old 08-31-2023, 09:47 PM
chassis
Rennlist Member

Received 1,386 Likes on 1,017 Posts

Originally Posted by VAGfan
The point is that the slight clutch engagement is done on-purpose to mimic torque converter creep.
Precisely.
Old 08-31-2023, 09:54 PM
chassis
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Larson E. Rapp
Fact is, I have yet to hear of anyone needing to replace those clutches. So whatever they're doing, it seems to be OK.

I'm skeptical that slipping them at idle will generate a ton of heat, but could be persuaded by data. Admittedly, I also don't see why it 's necessary to slip the clutches constantly in order to achieve smooth takeoffs, unless it's important to keep the discs warm for whatever reason.
What informs the skepticism?

Friction interfaces (transmission clutch plates) have static and dynamic (sliding) friction coefficients. The static coeff is higher than the dynamic coeff. This means higher shear force (torque) is needed to overcome clutch plates which are not already slipping. Once slipping, the torque transmitted decreases. This discontinuity between static and dynamic coeffs is the reason to implement near-continuous slipping. Smoother performance.

Otherwise a stick-slip effect would occur delivering undesirable drivability.
Old 08-31-2023, 09:58 PM
chassis
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DHL
So why the suggestion to use sport mode full time if the clutch slippage also occurs in that mode? Is it because sport mode lowers coolant temps (slightly)? BTW I am a new owner of a 2022 GTS and this post has me concerned. Luckily I purchased the extended Porsche warranty for up to 10 years and am now glad I did.

Also, if you are right, maybe the first reason I have heard to re-engage that annoying "Start-Stop" function wicj shuts down the drive train while stationary.
Sport mode uses faster gear changes, which means less clutch slippage per gear change. Consider the 3-speed Chrysler Torqueflite and Ford C-4 transmissions, which took an eternity to shift gears. Time between gears is proportional to clutch slip. More time between gears = more clutch slip = more comfortable gear change.

Less clutch slip = longer clutch life = possibly less comfortable gear change. Sport mode = less clutch slip = longer clutch life.

Last edited by chassis; 08-31-2023 at 09:59 PM.
Old 08-31-2023, 11:17 PM
Larson E. Rapp
Pro

Received 399 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by chassis
What informs the skepticism?
Experience driving a stick shift. I don't have to slip the clutch while I'm waiting at a red light, so why does the PDK need to?

It is known that the PDK maintains calibrated "bite point" measurements for clutch engagement, which is more than I do. It knows how to engage the clutch in first gear quickly and smoothly.
The following users liked this post:
chassis (08-31-2023)
Old 08-31-2023, 11:23 PM
ilovemaui
Rennlist Member

Received 323 Likes on 185 Posts

Sport mode uses faster gear changes, which means less clutch slippage per gear change. Consider the 3-speed Chrysler Torqueflite and Ford C-4 transmissions, which took an eternity to shift gears. Time between gears is proportional to clutch slip. More time between gears = more clutch slip = more comfortable gear change.

Less clutch slip = longer clutch life = possibly less comfortable gear change. Sport mode = less clutch slip = longer clutch life.
are you sure sport mode uses faster gear changes? It seems to me it holds longer.
Old 08-31-2023, 11:31 PM
DHL
Rennlist Member

Yes, but I thought the point was heat generation, the majority of it being produced by slippage at idle, not during normal high RPM gear changes (since these occur over a much shorter time period).

And I agree regarding drivability. I had an X3 M40i that literally slammed gear changes in Sport+ mode to such an extent it unsettled the chassis and sounded like explosions at every gear change. Quite uncomfortable to drive and one of the reasons I have a Macan GTS instead.
chassis (09-01-2023)
Old 09-01-2023, 12:00 AM
chassis
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ilovemaui
are you sure sport mode uses faster gear changes? It seems to me it holds longer.
The change is faster in sport mode, measured in milliseconds. The "hold longer" is not the gear change time.
Old 09-01-2023, 12:03 AM
chassis
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Larson E. Rapp
Experience driving a stick shift. I don't have to slip the clutch while I'm waiting at a red light, so why does the PDK need to?

It is known that the PDK maintains calibrated "bite point" measurements for clutch engagement, which is more than I do. It knows how to engage the clutch in first gear quickly and smoothly.
Clutch slip is required for a smooth launch with a dry clutch manual transmission, directly analogous to launch slip in a PDK. I have decades of experience and several hundreds of thousands of miles of experience with dry clutch manual transmissions. Including changing a clutch on a cold December weekend on a concrete floor with no vehicle lift.

PDK is in "pre-launch" while waiting at a light slightly slipping its wet clutch plates, for smooth launch.
Old 09-01-2023, 12:04 AM
chassis
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DHL
Yes, but I thought the point was heat generation, the majority of it being produced by slippage at idle, not during normal high RPM gear changes (since these occur over a much shorter time period).

And I agree regarding drivability. I had an X3 M40i that literally slammed gear changes in Sport+ mode to such an extent it unsettled the chassis and sounded like explosions at every gear change. Quite uncomfortable to drive and one of the reasons I have a Macan GTS instead.
The point made earlier in the thread is that clutch slip generates heat. This is correct. And clutch slip is needed at launch for smooth and comfortable drivability. I see that we are in agreement here.
Old 09-01-2023, 05:31 PM
DHL
Rennlist Member

The point made earlier in the thread is that clutch slip generates heat. This is correct. And clutch slip is needed at launch for smooth and comfortable drivability. I see that we are in agreement here.
Right. There was an assertion that sport mode produced less heat, but if slippage is the main heat generation mechanism and there is slippage in both normal and sport modes for drivability, then the assertion seems to be incorrect.

Just trying to determine if I should be driving continuously in sport mode or not. If the shift frequency is not a major factor, only time at idle, then it should not matter and either mode produces the same amount of heat.
chassis (09-02-2023)

Quick Reply: Transmission problems...beware