Macan 2014-Current

Transmission problems...beware

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2022, 08:29 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,010 Likes on 1,777 Posts

Originally Posted by Olddragger
I am glad that your person was able to get it fixed for $1500! He must have just had to replace the circuit boards and maybe a solenoid. It was a great indie that was able to diag that and get it done. Just my luck to have the one transmission that is difficult. Lol.
I agree that heat is the biggest contributor to the problem. Running in sport mode is a wise thing to do as it does open the shutters up front and even reduces the engines oil temperature. That has to have a positive affect on transmission temps. Plus leaving the clutch fully engaged longer has to help some too. If I ever drive a Macan again it will be in sport mode all the time.
Exactly that... solenoids and circuit boards. Sorry to hear yours was beyond saving. Hope the new one works out!
Old 07-06-2022, 10:52 AM
Olddragger
Instructor

Received 78 Likes on 53 Posts

Appreciate that. I do have my fingers crossed. I am cursed in that I am driven to understand things. Not only is the inability to fix something unexceptable, I also strive to figure out what caused something to fail. Guess it is safe to say I am a root cause analysis kind of guy. So I ask many questions and I share my thoughts and theories with others. Many times in doing that I get great advice. Sometimes I get some feedback that what I shared helped someone else. That is why I am posting so much about this experience. I know I have learned a lot. Some of which really bothers me such as how Porsche handles certain things, but I am also realistic that some things I cannot change or even influence lol. I am a small fish and it was my choices that led me to the position I am now in. It is all about the journey.
I drove my car yesterday for the first time in several months. It did beautifully for about 5 miles, then after the oil temps (the only relavent temp I have access too) got to 180f on my gauge it started acting up. It was still shifting and no faults were thrown but taking off from a standstill in 1st gear there was a lurch. The clutch didn't engage as it should have. It happened as I was pulling back into my garage. It felt great to drive it!
Old 07-06-2022, 11:12 AM
Olddragger
Instructor

Just noticed the other post that did the casual survey. That is interesting and a very creative way of sourcing data! Kudos! I believe 28% failure rate for a transmission that costs new over $20000 would be a high enough percentage to get me to find an extended warrenty. Also there are many more that have transmission problems in which a replacement is not needed. A mechatronics unit, fluid and filters in many cases fixes the issue.......but try to find the parts from Porsche. You cant.
I feel the need to repeat myself here. Our transmission is not a bad transmission. I really like what it adds to the Macan. It is a fully serviceable transmission. It can be completely rebuilt. But in order for that to occur one has to have the parts and software that is needed for the repair. This is what Porsche/Audi/VW needs to fix. Stop restricting the sale of transmission parts to just the dealer and stop restricting (by making the pursue price ridiculously high) the software that is needed to mate it all to one's car.
The following users liked this post:
mikebrinda (07-06-2022)
Old 07-06-2022, 01:39 PM
VAGfan
Pro

Received 284 Likes on 191 Posts

Olddragger: So what is the current state of your transmission: (what is the origin of the parts? original, new, used from what year......)
- bottom valve body = ?
- vertical Circuit board = ?
- horizontal circuit board = ?
- Solenoids = ?
- TCU = ?
Old 07-06-2022, 06:51 PM
Olddragger
Instructor

Entire mechatronics unit was replaced with a 2017 model unit that had 23000 documented miles on it. It was cleared for use.after it was inspected and all the solenoids and connections where ohmed. My TCM was opened and we inspected with a magnifying glass and nothing was seen. We flushed out the transmission...surprised me didn't see anything .....guess filtration system works pretty good. The clutches looked good ...from what you could see. It never has slipped. Doesn't slip now.. Oil pump looked good. Transmission has the latest firmware, passed PIWIS handoff fine and all calibrations without a glitch. When you first start it , it does great...no problems. Reverse does not engage as suddenly as before, but I actually prefer it. After the engine oil temp gets to be around 180, coolant at the always 200f it starts to cut up a little. From a dead stop Feels like clutch is disengaged and when you give it a little gas it lurches forward. Shifts ok though. Keep driving it and it throws a dl17d7.. high pressure on K2. Then the limp mode comes. Let it cool and you can go another 5 miles lol.
Trying TCM replacement next. Sigh.
Old 07-07-2022, 03:37 PM
Olddragger
Instructor

This journey is over.
I just found out that they cannot flash my other TCM unless it is already installed in the car. This swap over process can only be done through the obII port. That would mean even more money because I would have to flatbed it back to the shop, then they would have to pull the mechatronics pack etc, install the other TCM, and then get it flashed. I am not spending another couple of thousand on this on the slight chance it may work. The shop agrees with me, actually advised me against it. They are good people and just trying to save me money. It is true that I could install it at home, flatbed it up and get it flashed there, but enough is enough. I need to listen to the experts and more than one has told me the same thing.
I truly appreciate all the feedback, support and suggestions everyone has shared. Thank you all!
oh and on a side note...they just told me they got another Macan in with transmission problems lol. I hope that one is a simple fix. It is not going into limp mode so there is a good chance it will be.
This thread is closed.
Old 07-07-2022, 04:41 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,472 Likes on 4,122 Posts

Sucks when you have to throw in the towel after investing that much time and energy.
Old 07-07-2022, 10:12 PM
Olddragger
Instructor

And loosing about 18 k in equity is kind of miserable too! But, thanks I appreciate it.
Old 07-07-2022, 10:26 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,472 Likes on 4,122 Posts

Originally Posted by Olddragger
And loosing about 18 k in equity is kind of miserable too! But, thanks I appreciate it.
Part it out. Engine, interior, wheels, etc
Old 07-08-2022, 10:10 AM
VAGfan
Pro

So, to be clear, it is your original 2015 TCM with the 2017 bottom valve body, 2017 vertical circuit board, 2017 horizontal circuit board,
and 2017 solenoids?

If the above is true, it sounds like one of your pressure sensors gets flakey when hot. Somebody on Ebay is selling replacement pressure sensors, but you would need to send the TCU to an expert ECU repair shop to change them out, as the electrical connections are ultra-sonically welded wire-bonds.

0B5 DL501 DSG Transmission Mechatronic Pressure Sensor For Audi A4 A5 A6 Q5 | eBay

I know you want to move on, but $18K is a lot to lose.....

Last edited by VAGfan; 07-08-2022 at 10:16 AM.
Old 07-08-2022, 11:29 AM
Olddragger
Instructor

Thanks Vag, it is a lot to lose.
yes that is correct , all 2017 mechatronics unit (including the mechatronic unit chaissis) and my oridginal 2015 TCM . Changing out the TCM was a long shot. There never was any codes that suggested a problem with the TCM and physical inspection of it did not reveal to the magnified eye anything suspicious. I did wonder about those film sensors on the TCM but they did check out ok. The book says the way to check them is to have the car ignition on but not running, then pressures need to be in a range of 0.1 to 0.5 . Mine was per the shop, when it was cold and when it was hot.
My car is driving...drove it to the gas station yesterday and it did well. No problems. It was only about a 5 mile drive. I am thinking about overfilling it by a quart, just to see what happens? Maybe a little elf will come along and repair it while I sleep🤣
It is ironic, but the dealership that oridginally sold the care and the one that I first took it to when this problem occurred is showing some interest in buying it as is. I am reminded of this old movie call Catch 22........
Old 07-08-2022, 11:34 AM
mikebrinda
Instructor

Received 88 Likes on 44 Posts

You dealer being interested in buying the car as-is is a testament to current Macan demand. The dealer will drop in a new transmission at dealer cost, then sell it for a fast $10K profit.
Old 07-08-2022, 11:50 AM
VAGfan
Pro

Wild idea:
Get a 2 or 5 gallon garden sprayer, fill it with water and ice cubes.
Drive around with it, until the trans acts up, then pull over, and spray the side of the transmission where the TCU is, see if the problem goes away.
Old 07-08-2022, 09:37 PM
Olddragger
Instructor

Maybe a water methanol sprayer for my transmission!
Old 07-14-2022, 02:46 PM
Olddragger
Instructor

Well the dealership is coming today to see if they want to buy it as is. If that doesn't work out then I am pulling the mech unit back out and having a look see. Perhaps more of the ground up plastic remained somewhere and it is affecting that very small hole the pressure regulators rely on.
I am driving it almost daily now and it is great for 5-10 miles , in surbuban traffic, stop and go. After that it throws the yellow display warning of " no reverse etc" . It continues to shift ok, but if I stop the clutches disengage and a lurch occurs when I drive off. If I place it in reverse it will go into limp mode. No codes thrown using just a basic obdII reader.

Oh by the way I took a piece of the old circuit board that melted and placed it on an open flame for 7 secs. No melting ...nothing. Now I ask you... what melted this thing?

Quick Reply: Transmission problems...beware