Macan 2014-Current

Underwhelmed: 2020 Macan Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2020, 01:12 AM
twospyders
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
Think about when you're outside somewhere and hear a piped mustang v8 really get on it. My son and I just look at each other and smile. That moment at some time in the not too distant future will never occur for him and his son - that's just sad.

There's nothing exciting about a silent whirr and cars that drive themselves, no matter what the numbers say.
Nothing exciting about a silent whirr? For one, my Taycan is quite exciting and futuristic- and it handles like a Porsche. It is exciting in a different way. I also have a GT3 with an upgraded exhaust and a 8 and 12 cylinder Ferrari. There’s noise and there’s sound and there is a difference.

I drove my 2020 Macan Turbo extensively this weekend. It’s awful.
Old 12-14-2020, 03:16 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,584 Likes on 4,188 Posts

Originally Posted by twospyders
Nothing exciting about a silent whirr? For one, my Taycan is quite exciting and futuristic- and it handles like a Porsche. It is exciting in a different way.
Maybe, but at 50, guess I've become an old soul in automotive terms. I have no interest in owning an electric car that can't get me to my vacation destination without making me stop for extended times when it says I have to, or one that becomes disposable in 10 years because the batteries will only hold 70% of their original charge capacity and cost almost as much as the current value of the car to replace. I have no interest in riding in a car that's driving itself while I sit in the Driver's seat or one that distances itself from the cars in-front of me, or that can parallel park itself, or that steers me back into my lane when I go to change lanes without using a signal when I'm the only one on the road, or that has 4 touch sensitive screens in it with no ***** or buttons I can feel to select without looking or have to brace part of my hand on the frame of something to touch the correct part of the screen, or has sealed black box components that require complete replacement in the hundreds or thousands of dollars when they fail that can't be repaired. My newest vehicle is a 2009 and I have no interest in owning anything newer than that to be honest. All the advancements since then are actually regressions in my eyes. Not only do all the driver assist aids make it easier and encourage more distracted driving and cell phone use, but they have created a generation of driver's that have very little driving skill or ability behind the wheel. The rest of the world can embrace the tech - I'd rather drive my 40 year old 928 every day than a brand new Taycan, Prius, Volt, or anything else that doesn't make a sound. If someone wants to give me a 918 Spyder, that's the best of both worlds, and I'll take it.

If you hate your 2020 Macan so much, sell it. I started following this forum a few years ago when I was considering adding a Macan as my wife's 997 had become too small for the age of our kids to serve as her DD. We held off due to the number of PDK failures and other issues I was seeing (valve cover leaks, transfer case issues, etc) and she ended up driving my pickup for a couple years while I drove one of the other Porsches. Since then, we've missed that need window, where we no longer need a Macan sized vehicle. My daughter is now driving herself with her own SUV (BMW X5) so it's just my son that she's driving to golf, guitar, soccer, etc and he fits just fine in the front of her 997, so order has been restored with our decade old and older fleet and I can maintain and repair just about anything that goes wrong with one of those - the same cannot be said for an electric car.
Old 12-14-2020, 07:49 AM
nemo06
Advanced

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts

Nothing exciting about a silent whirr? For one, my Taycan is quite exciting and futuristic- and it handles like a Porsche. It is exciting in a different way. I also have a GT3 with an upgraded exhaust and a 8 and 12 cylinder Ferrari. There’s noise and there’s sound and there is a difference.

I drove my 2020 Macan Turbo extensively this weekend. It’s awful.
You have a GT3, a Taycan, two Ferrari ... maybe a Jet and a Ship ... sell the Macan and don't bother anymore. If I were the Moderator, I would have already banned you.
The following 5 users liked this post by nemo06:
2021Macan (12-14-2020), DJSAPBLU (12-14-2020), OliverK68 (12-14-2020), Rnrprof (11-27-2023), T3X4S (12-14-2020)
Old 12-14-2020, 01:15 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,302 Likes on 887 Posts

(Shrug) I think it's interesting to hear reviews with other opinions than the boilerplate hagiographies we get from the magazines and YouTubers. If someone bought a GTS or Turbo without a test drive, they could easily be disappointed in its everyday drivability.

My perception was that there is an unusual amount of turbo lag, an unfavorable torque curve, or something that makes the 2.9TT engine feel sluggish when taking off. I didn't hear that from Doug DeMuro or Nick Murray or any of the other well-known reviewers. I had to discover it for myself by repeatedly bugging the salesperson for "one more test drive." The fix might be as simple as a module that remaps the throttle curve, or there might not be a fix at all. Either way, knowing what to look for is important.
The following users liked this post:
twospyders (12-14-2020)
Old 12-14-2020, 04:33 PM
ducktails
Racer

Received 463 Likes on 189 Posts

It's not really a hot take to say that crossovers and turbocharged cars "suck" - it's what literally every car journalist and anyone you care to meet at a C&C is saying.
At this point saying you own and enjoy such a vehicle in enthusiast circles is the braver and more surprising take, I would think.

I like to approach a vehicle on its own merits and for its intended use case - and as a fun family hauler that can handle occasional long-range duty to snow or campgrounds without having to worry about range/plug in, the Macan S, GTS or Turbo makes a strong case. By fun, I mean that you are not expecting it to be a Caterham, you can drive around the lag, and and you're not attacking everything at 10/10 ... you would have a much more enjoyable time when the roads get twisty than if you were in a Suburban or an F150.
twospyders (12-14-2020)
Old 12-14-2020, 09:55 PM
twospyders
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by nemo06
You have a GT3, a Taycan, two Ferrari ... maybe a Jet and a Ship ... sell the Macan and don't bother anymore. If I were the Moderator, I would have already banned you.
Banned me for having too many cars- LOL? I think that gives me credibility. I have owned three different Macans since 2015. I really dislike the engine in the 2020. The value of my post is to alert others so that they don’t make my mistake. Also- to hear other points of views and other car recommendations.

Sorry that my blessings create envy or insecurity. I wish you no ill will.
Old 12-14-2020, 10:42 PM
Chris-911
Instructor

Received 137 Likes on 67 Posts

Banned me for having too many cars- LOL? I think that gives me credibility. I have owned three different Macans since 2015. I really dislike the engine in the 2020. The value of my post is to alert others so that they don’t make my mistake. Also- to hear other points of views and other car recommendations.

Sorry that my blessings create envy or insecurity. I wish you no ill will.
I appreciate your posts and sounds like you have more experience than most on here and aren’t married to your car. I think you just saved me a lot of money (I have a 2018 with the 3.6L)!
twospyders (12-14-2020)

Quick Reply: Underwhelmed: 2020 Macan Turbo