Macan 2014-Current

Underwhelmed: 2020 Macan Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2020, 06:25 AM
twospyders
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Underwhelmed: 2020 Macan Turbo

I am on my 3rd Macan (Turbo, GTS, Turbo). Well optioned- beautiful SUV. I also purchased a Taycan the same day. The Taycan is so good that the Macan feels dated. The Turbo lag feels more pronounced now because of the instant response of the electric Taycan. Totally ruined my experience. I don’t think I’ll ever buy another turbo charged ICE car.

In fact, I don’t see ordering another Turbo car ever again (except I already have another Turbo car on order for my wife). I presume that will be a disappointment too.

Prediction: History will not be fond of Turbo cars (unless they’re electric- what a dumb naming move by Porsche).

Last edited by twospyders; 11-16-2020 at 06:27 AM.

Popular Reply

11-16-2020, 09:38 AM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 321 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by twospyders
I am on my 3rd Macan (Turbo, GTS, Turbo). Well optioned- beautiful SUV. I also purchased a Taycan the same day. The Taycan is so good that the Macan feels dated. The Turbo lag feels more pronounced now because of the instant response of the electric Taycan. Totally ruined my experience. I don’t think I’ll ever buy another turbo charged ICE car.

In fact, I don’t see ordering another Turbo car ever again (except I already have another Turbo car on order for my wife). I presume that will be a disappointment too.

Prediction: History will not be fond of Turbo cars (unless they’re electric- what a dumb naming move by Porsche).
Something to think about while sitting in line for a charger.
Old 11-16-2020, 09:38 AM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 321 Likes on 194 Posts

Something to think about while sitting in line for a charger.
The following 15 users liked this post by chuckbdc:
Ailerons (11-01-2022), catdog2 (02-19-2021), checkmate1996 (07-26-2024), cstele (11-23-2020), DAVfoto (11-16-2020), ducktails (12-14-2020), FrankAT (01-11-2021), goin2drt (11-16-2020), GWD (05-08-2021), kfmcmahon (11-18-2020), Liste-Renn (11-21-2020), maplefrm (11-17-2020), MM3.9GT3 (11-21-2020), murox (12-20-2020), neurotic (11-16-2020) and 10 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 11-16-2020, 11:35 AM
#1SomeGuy
Burning Brakes

Received 554 Likes on 331 Posts

Always raising the bar...there will always be something better out there and trying to go back to something lesser is tough. It doesn't mean the Macan Turbo is a bad vehicle or a poor performer, it's just you've found something better for you. I would be underwhelmed by the sound of an electric car for instance.
Old 11-16-2020, 12:05 PM
ImpliedConsent
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

I'm the opposite. I'm jaded by the Macan Turbo's performance (taking into account turbo lag). Since I totalled it over a month ago, I've been searching for it's equivalent (and options). Kinda tough in the used market, they're held onto by owners. The Taycan (lol Turbo) is outside of my money zone, but if it relates to a Tesla P100DL, then it "should" plant you in the seat and not let go until the accelerator pedal is released... Yeah. Wow! I'm not sure if I can let go of an ICE sound/transmission shifts though.
Old 11-16-2020, 12:37 PM
fsts2k
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Funny, I drove a Taycan on Saturday and like my Macan GTS better. The Taycan was super cool and was basically a spaceship but it didn't have the drama.. just my view. Plus at 150K+ it really is a totally different car / price point. Just my view, different strokes
Old 11-16-2020, 12:48 PM
Chris-911
Instructor

Received 137 Likes on 67 Posts

As an owner of a 2018 turbo, I would love to hear your thoughts on how the 2020 turbo compares to the old one. Electric cars are probably not in my future for a while.

thank you!
The following users liked this post:
twospyders (11-17-2020)
Old 11-16-2020, 01:41 PM
Alex K.
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Well...it's not ICE to blame but emission standards. What did you expect from 2.9 liter engine? I have 3.7 NA and I like it more than 3.0T in Macan despite it making less power. And I like 4.8 more than 3.7, and 6.2 more than 3.7. Turbo engines are not here for us, they are for emission standards. I personally hate turbo engines but what choice do we have? They don't make V8 Macan and I don't need a truck called Cayenne and Panamera is not the best choice for towing a boat. Can you show me a luxury SUV which handles like Macan and has a V8? I don't think such thing exists.

You should really start comparing electric cars to at least V8 with same horsepower. I really like Tesla P100D but I would take Panamera GTS over it as it's just better car without supercharging hassle.

twospyders (11-17-2020)
Old 11-16-2020, 02:35 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 920 Likes on 556 Posts

Getting out of my 997.1 TT for a 45 minute test drive in a Gen1 Macan Turbo, later a gen 2, was also underwhelmed.

But I ordered one anyway. Will be the road trip car for 2 that the 997 was not.
twospyders (11-17-2020)
Old 11-16-2020, 03:56 PM
GratedWasabi
Racer

Received 312 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by fsts2k
Funny, I drove a Taycan on Saturday and like my Macan GTS better. The Taycan was super cool and was basically a spaceship but it didn't have the drama.. just my view. Plus at 150K+ it really is a totally different car / price point. Just my view, different strokes
Sorry but no. You didn't "like your Macan GTS better" you "couldn't afford the Taycan".

The Taycan is a worlds better car than the Macan in every single way. The performance, in all terms, is staggeringly better than a Macan GTS. Acceleration, handling, feel. The aesthetics, interior & exterior, are classes better. It is, however, much more expensive. I mean we're talking a galaxies better car here.

There's nothing wrong with sticking to a Macan GTS pricepoint.. but don't make completely false statements. There is no one, ever, that be offered either a Macan GTS or a Taycan 4S for free, drive both, and go "yup, I'll take the Macan!"

Drama? The Macan GTS has drama in the sense that it's a top & front heavy SUV. The exhaust is crap. If you were making this claim with a nice NA Cayman or Boxster, cool, but a Macan!? LOL!!!!!!
twospyders (11-17-2020)
Old 11-16-2020, 04:54 PM
#1SomeGuy
Burning Brakes

Received 554 Likes on 331 Posts

Originally Posted by GratedWasabi
Sorry but no. You didn't "like your Macan GTS better" you "couldn't afford the Taycan".

The Taycan is a worlds better car than the Macan in every single way. The performance, in all terms, is staggeringly better than a Macan GTS. Acceleration, handling, feel. The aesthetics, interior & exterior, are classes better. It is, however, much more expensive. I mean we're talking a galaxies better car here.

There's nothing wrong with sticking to a Macan GTS pricepoint.. but don't make completely false statements. There is no one, ever, that be offered either a Macan GTS or a Taycan 4S for free, drive both, and go "yup, I'll take the Macan!"

Drama? The Macan GTS has drama in the sense that it's a top & front heavy SUV. The exhaust is crap. If you were making this claim with a nice NA Cayman or Boxster, cool, but a Macan!? LOL!!!!!!
Nope. I'll take the Macan because it actually has an exhaust note and can travel more than a couple hundred miles and it has more ground clearance for the winter season up here.

Electric sedans aren't quite there yet to meet all of my needs, you can't presume what people's requirements for a vehicle are.
The following 2 users liked this post by #1SomeGuy:
fsts2k (11-18-2020), Liste-Renn (11-21-2020)
Old 11-17-2020, 01:41 AM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 1,026 Likes on 479 Posts

Originally Posted by GratedWasabi

Uh, Ill take a Macan Gts or turbo over ANY electric car as I, as well as many others put distance in cars and don't like the idea of having to find charge ports or having to call for a tow. The Taycan is extremely cool (had a Turbo for a week on loan), but maybe as a 4th car that you can just zoom around town in locally. Granted, at the pricepoints we are talking, Id probably go into a cayenne GTS (prefer vibe over a turbo) over either the Macan OR the Taycan, just because of that sound and having a little more space.
fsts2k (11-18-2020)
Old 11-17-2020, 01:49 AM
twospyders
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by #1SomeGuy
Always raising the bar...there will always be something better out there and trying to go back to something lesser is tough. It doesn't mean the Macan Turbo is a bad vehicle or a poor performer, it's just you've found something better for you. I would be underwhelmed by the sound of an electric car for instance.
The Macan Turbo does not sound good- as compared to great normally aspirated engines. There’s noise and there’s sound. Ignorance is bliss?

Last edited by twospyders; 11-17-2020 at 01:57 AM.
sexfiend (01-20-2021)
Old 11-17-2020, 01:52 AM
twospyders
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Chris-911
As an owner of a 2018 turbo, I would love to hear your thoughts on how the 2020 turbo compares to the old one. Electric cars are probably not in my future for a while.

thank you!
The new turbo is supposed to be faster. It doesn’t feel faster- although I believe the specs.

It feels like it needs an 8 cylinder- like it’s working too hard. Strange.
Old 11-17-2020, 05:11 AM
nemo06
Advanced

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts

Are you disappointed with the Macan turbo? Buy the Mercedes AMG 63S with the 4.0-liter V8 engine.
Old 11-17-2020, 09:14 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,582 Likes on 4,186 Posts

The EV concept changes the model for a number of us. I'm old school where I purchase a vehicle equipped the way I want, maintain it meticulously, and keep it for forever. For example, my DD is a 2001 GMC pickup with 200k miles. The main issue with EVs for someone like me is not only range, but also battery life and replacement cost. I'm interested to see how the battery life of the current generation of EVs like the Taycan is. I have a friend with a Nissan Leaf and it currently needs a $14k batteries replacement if he's going to keep it because the range capability is only about half what it was when the car was new. He has to go home first after work and rode to his kid's events with his wife in their minivan because the Leaf won't make it to the event and back home without dying. That's just a model that makes no sense to me, independent of performance. For someone who leases their vehicles and replaces them every 3-5 years, the EV model makes more sense, but I've saved probably $100k or more in vehicle depreciation by not buying a new car every 5-8 years. I also like to customize my cars and that's a diminishing return if you tuen them over regularly.

As an around town car, an EV could make sense as a 3rd or 4th car, but with 7 ICE cars that I understand how to work on and enjoy driving, I'm not ready to add one. I mean, what do you do if you drive it to the airport and all the charging ports in the garage are full, where you know when you return from your trip you won't be able to make it home - who needs that kind of stress in their life, not me.

Quick Reply: Underwhelmed: 2020 Macan Turbo