Macan 2014-Current

Underwhelmed: 2020 Macan Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2020, 05:13 AM
nemo06
Advanced

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris-911
That’s nice to know. Any specifics on why you like it better?
The new engine has two personalities: when you press the accelerator lightly, the car moves smoothly like a limousine; when you press a little harder, all the power is released and it seems to never end, it goes ... it goes ... it goes ... without any hint of turbo lag. This in normal mode; I haven't tested Sport and Sport Plus yet.
Old 12-03-2020, 04:10 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,302 Likes on 887 Posts

One interesting thing I'm seeing in my new Macan S is that Sport and Sport Plus don't really do much of anything.

In my 981S, switching to Sport Plus with the PDK in automatic mode renders the car undrivable on the street, with every gear held close to redline, while Sport selects a more aggressive but not unusable shift map with a noticeable increase in throttle sensitivity as well. Sport mode is the obvious intended mode of operation in these cars. In the Macan, however, the shift points are slightly higher in Sport and Sport Plus mode, but the throttle sensitivity doesn't seem to change at all.

I can see where an aftermarket throttle-remapping module might actually be useful in the Macan, where they were largely pointless in the NA sports cars.

Last edited by Noah Fect; 12-03-2020 at 04:14 PM.
Old 12-05-2020, 09:45 PM
twospyders
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 43 Posts

The more I drive the Macan Turbo the more I realize the turbo lag is unacceptable. I’m considering switching out to a Urus. Any opinions? Urus is obviously better and a lot more money. It has a twin turbo 8 made by the Porsche Motorsport division. Still turbo- ugh? Either that or I will wait for the electric Macan. I remain very disappointed. I also own a GT3 and a Taycan- for info.

PS If you love your Macan- just ignore my posts.
Old 12-05-2020, 09:50 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,582 Likes on 4,186 Posts

Originally Posted by twospyders
The more I drive the Macan Turbo the more I realize the turbo lag is unacceptable. I’m considering switching out to a Urus. Any opinions? Urus is obviously better and a lot more money. It has a twin turbo 8 made by the Porsche Motorsport division. Still turbo- ugh? Either that or I will wait for the electric Macan. I remain very disappointed. I also own a GT3 and a Taycan- for info.

Look into a tune from Fabspeed. My Cayenne Turbo S has hardly any lag now and makes full boost (actually 50% more boost than stock) and gets to full boost faster and keeps the needle pinned the whole time.
Old 12-06-2020, 06:14 AM
nemo06
Advanced

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts

I love my new Turbo and I write what I want. I certainly don't have to obey to an arrogant troll.
Old 12-06-2020, 06:32 AM
twospyders
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nemo06
I love my new Turbo and I write what I want. I certainly don't have to obey to an arrogant troll.
Sorry to offend you. Obey? As I said- if you’re happy with yours- ignore my post.

For those that are considering buying one- buyer beware. You may be disappointed if you are expecting better throttle response (turbo lag) and the excitement of a “turbo” level Porsche as the car “feels” underpowered.
Old 12-06-2020, 08:59 AM
pbon
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 112 Posts

I have the Macan Turbo engine in my Cayenne S and don’t think it is laggy. The sport and sport plus if you have chrono will run the engine in lower gears and raise rpm so you are closer to boost. You might want a V8 twin turbo so the extra displacement can fill in any gap before boost.

The way I drive, I have no complaints about lag, and I have another twin turbo 6 car, a big single turbo car and a naturally aspirated V8 car that revs to 8600. The high revving V8 is the least exciting car unless you are flogging the **** out of it.

Try a V8 twin turbo.
Old 12-06-2020, 06:29 PM
twospyders
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pbon
I have the Macan Turbo engine in my Cayenne S and don’t think it is laggy. The sport and sport plus if you have chrono will run the engine in lower gears and raise rpm so you are closer to boost. You might want a V8 twin turbo so the extra displacement can fill in any gap before boost.

The way I drive, I have no complaints about lag, and I have another twin turbo 6 car, a big single turbo car and a naturally aspirated V8 car that revs to 8600. The high revving V8 is the least exciting car unless you are flogging the **** out of it.

Try a V8 twin turbo.
I presume the only twin turbo V8 SUV is in the Urus?

I have a base 992. No discernible turbo lag. Very different from the Macan Turbo which has a noticeable lag.
Old 12-06-2020, 08:30 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I presume the only twin turbo V8 SUV is in the Urus?

I have a base 992. No discernible turbo lag. Very different from the Macan Turbo which has a noticeable lag.
My 09 Cayenne Turbo S is a twin turbo V8. Are the new Cayennes no longer a TT v8?
Old 12-06-2020, 09:02 PM
twospyders
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Petza914
My 09 Cayenne Turbo S is a twin turbo V8. Are the new Cayennes no longer a TT v8?
The Cayenne S is a turbo 6. I thought they all were now- wrong. The Turbo is still an 8.

The Cayenne is an option- although larger than I wanted.

thx!
Old 12-06-2020, 09:47 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

The Cayenne S is a turbo 6. I thought they all were now- wrong. The Turbo is still an 8.

The Cayenne is an option- although larger than I wanted.

thx!
There's a Cayenne Coupe now too that you might like the looks of better.
Old 12-06-2020, 09:51 PM
pbon
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 112 Posts

The Cayenne is still on the small side for an SUV. It drives great. There is a GTS with a detuned version of the twin turbo V8 but I drove one and did not think it had much on the S, but it might feel better to someone who thinks the 2.9L twin turbo 6 has lag. The Turbo would be the one I would buy if it was for me rather than my wife. The Turbo S EHybrid probably has no lag due to the instant torque of the electric motor.
The following users liked this post:
twospyders (12-07-2020)
Old 12-07-2020, 12:35 AM
mwar99
Three Wheelin'

Received 421 Likes on 233 Posts

I thought the Urus engine was an Audi engine. I do not believe it is made by Porsche Motorsport. And you really can't compare a Macan to a Urus. You get a little something more for the price differential.
Old 12-07-2020, 12:41 AM
twospyders
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mwar99
I thought the Urus engine was an Audi engine. I do not believe it is made by Porsche Motorsport. And you really can't compare a Macan to a Urus. You get a little something more for the price differential.
“The Urus weighs 160 pounds less than the new Porsche and has 100 more horsepower and 60 more lb-ft of torque. It's also built on the same platform as the Cayenne, has the same rear steer and active anti-roll bar technology, and boasts an engine built by Porsche's own motorsports department.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mot...nne-turbo/amp/
Old 12-07-2020, 03:52 AM
Jim Wilke
Racer

Received 236 Likes on 88 Posts

Will do.

Quick Reply: Underwhelmed: 2020 Macan Turbo