Notices
Macan 2014-Current

What's the performance of a Macan 2.0 chipped?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2020, 01:01 AM
k9turbo
Three Wheelin'

Received 260 Likes on 212 Posts
Default What's the performance of a Macan 2.0 chipped?

exactly why i asked. thanks very much. still transfer case issues, though yes??

given my foregoing. would you think i'd be ok with a tuned 2.0?

i am slowing down a bit - after 7 911's - and thank you.
Old 10-05-2020, 01:12 AM
wwahl
Pro

Received 133 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by k9turbo

You are going so far down the hill maybe you should be looking at a Mazda or a Subaru? You could at least live with the result. Otherwise you should buck it up to at least a GTS or you will kick your self around the block a couple of months later. Well, with my thinking at least.
Old 10-05-2020, 01:33 AM
Todd B

Rennlist Member

Received 435 Likes on 326 Posts

Yes the transfer case would also still be a potential issue. We just has the transfer case replaced on my wife's S before the warranty ended. The warranty for the transfer case has been extended for all Macan's 2018 and earlier.

We've had the 2.0 as a loaner, not sure how it would be tuned. If we drive the 2.0 like our S, the engine is working hard. It's not the same, major turbo lag. Not sure a tune would help the lag. When my wife bought her S, she was coming from a Q5 3.2. She test drove the 2.0 and the 3.0. She refused to even look further at the base after that. The 3.0 has power any time you ask, it's there (in sport mode). Where as with the 2.0, it thinks for a bit then says ok, I'll go.
Old 10-05-2020, 02:00 AM
k9turbo
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Todd B
Yes the transfer case would also still be a potential issue. We just has the transfer case replaced on my wife's S before the warranty ended. The warranty for the transfer case has been extended for all Macan's 2018 and earlier.

We've had the 2.0 as a loaner, not sure how it would be tuned. If we drive the 2.0 like our S, the engine is working hard. It's not the same, major turbo lag. Not sure a tune would help the lag. When my wife bought her S, she was coming from a Q5 3.2. She test drove the 2.0 and the 3.0. She refused to even look further at the base after that. The 3.0 has power any time you ask, it's there (in sport mode). Where as with the 2.0, it thinks for a bit then says ok, I'll go.
thank you for the replies. i think? a tune would mitigate the 2.0 car "thinking for bit" and i know exactly what you mean. i do know turbo lag from having once had a x50 optioned k24 twin turbo 996. that was seriously "punch it and wait for it ". i hated that bit. my current 911 has hybrid 16/24 turbos so i haven't had to wait for full boost in years. it's near instantaneous. much like my little gti. there's just no "lag".

so i did read of the warranty extension for MY '15 thru '18 on the transfer case and it's *somewhat* reassuring. still however leaving the known propensity for timing cover seepage/leakage on the v6 is my quandary.. my thinking was i could "cheat" the loss of power by tweaking the 4cyl model and obviate the concern for timing cover issues, as i have some familiarity with that and the difference the re-mapped tune makes.

i have a pal is an authorized cobb tuner and (iirc?) they have a tune/map for the base model macan. if not, there seem to be other options to tweak the 2.0 engine that i do believe would suit my current wants/needs. i am vacillating between the 2.0 even knowing that a low mileage CPO'd S ( at the very least ) would be better in terms of a start point.

all of that said. biting the bullet for the nicer trim model with a CPO and the added 4K cost +/- is probably the way to go.

Last edited by k9turbo; 10-05-2020 at 02:04 AM. Reason: thank you
Old 10-05-2020, 11:40 AM
rosen39
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Hi K9turbo. I have the 2.0 base Macan and have had the APR software upgrade. It is installed by the service manager of my dealership, and he says the 2.0 will now outrun a stock Macan S. I have not driven a Macan S so I cannot say one way or the other. I will say the the power band does not kick in till you are over 2,000 rpm, but while you are driving, the response is way better than stock. More noticeable when in "sport" mode. The 2.0 Audi engine is lighter in the front end, so the car handles better. It is an easy engine to work on. Can use an oil evacuator to do oil changes under the hood without driving up on ramps and removing a splash panel. Where do you live? I am in the greater Boston area.
The following users liked this post:
k9turbo (10-05-2020)
Old 10-05-2020, 12:15 PM
JC Lacayo
Pro

Received 135 Likes on 99 Posts

I have a x50 and I like the turbo lag. It builds and then it hits you. Granted, I drive it for fun sporadically, and I think it would get old if it was a DD. I have a 16 Turbo now, and in sport mode, it is power on demand at all times. The 2.0 loaners I've driven are good. What they lack in power, gain in nimbleness. The APR gains are very much worth it on that model. Do it, and report back!
k9turbo (10-05-2020)
Old 10-05-2020, 12:34 PM
k9turbo
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by rosen39
Hi K9turbo. I have the 2.0 base Macan and have had the APR software upgrade. It is installed by the service manager of my dealership, and he says the 2.0 will now outrun a stock Macan S. I have not driven a Macan S so I cannot say one way or the other. I will say the the power band does not kick in till you are over 2,000 rpm, but while you are driving, the response is way better than stock. More noticeable when in "sport" mode. The 2.0 Audi engine is lighter in the front end, so the car handles better. It is an easy engine to work on. Can use an oil evacuator to do oil changes under the hood without driving up on ramps and removing a splash panel. Where do you live? I am in the greater Boston area.
thanks for the reply and info. what you have done is exactly what i hope to do. this is not only what i suspect is the "answer" to my issue but obviates the need to get into the v6 for lack of beans in the stock base model..the anecdotal reports of the timing chain cover on the v6 is legion and i really want to avoid this. unless i know for certain an S or gts i might find has had the "longer bolts" ( why aluminum?! dumb..) retrofitted and the timing cover/gasket propensity for leaks etc properly addressed.

i just don't want to trade out of my flawless literally issue free hi miles 911 turbo ( fun car ) into a new but frequently problematic macan.

so to hedge my bets, i genuinely feel a tuned/tweaked base model would answer that. transfer cases issues w the pdk still to be investigated. perhaps i can even find one that has had the t-case replaced. that would be optimal.

my gti has the apr flash tune and it has bumped the little single turbo fsi motored car from 200 to roughly 250bhp and for that little hatchback, that is plenty and has the similarly designed "dsg" mechatronic trans which pre-dated the pdk but is very similar in terms of operation ( 6 gears instead of 7 ) and works flawlessly with the apr re-map. i suspect your macan shows a similar bump from the base 250 to nearly 300hp mirroring the "S" power band. my gti as well as my twin turbo car don't kick in full boost at less than 2500 rpm so that i am used to.

as to my location? i am on the west coast and preparing to evacuate although if you are planning on selling, the distance would be seriously problematic if that's what you hinted at? again - thanks for that valuable info. it really helps me in this soon to be made "decision".
Old 10-05-2020, 12:41 PM
k9turbo
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by JC Lacayo
I have a x50 and I like the turbo lag. It builds and then it hits you. Granted, I drive it for fun sporadically, and I think it would get old if it was a DD. I have a 16 Turbo now, and in sport mode, it is power on demand at all times. The 2.0 loaners I've driven are good. What they lack in power, gain in nimbleness. The APR gains are very much worth it on that model. Do it, and report back!
hey JC. forum hopping eh?

yes, that seems the wisest thing for me to do and "trim packages" don't matter to me, only the vehicles capability.

heck, i have what is for all intents and purposes an unbadged gt2 that began life as a "badged" twin turbo. suits me just fine for $50k less!

< thread hopping myself it seems. sorry mods - thanks >

i began my query in a "timing cover leak" thread and was OT and the mods have seemingly begun this thread with my OT comments. so anyone that might add their experiences with a chipped 2.0 any/all info is appreciated.

Last edited by k9turbo; 10-05-2020 at 01:36 PM. Reason: < thread hopping myself it seems. sorry mods - thanks >
Old 10-05-2020, 01:50 PM
rosen39
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Not selling till maybe February. I asked your location only if you wanted to drive and see what it was like. The APR website has a graph with torque and HP stock vs. modified results. Yes, over 300hp is on the graph, but you are in the 5,000-5,500 rpm range.
colnago1331 (05-10-2021)
Old 10-05-2020, 02:37 PM
k9turbo
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by rosen39
Not selling till maybe February. I asked your location only if you wanted to drive and see what it was like. The APR website has a graph with torque and HP stock vs. modified results. Yes, over 300hp is on the graph, but you are in the 5,000-5,500 rpm range.
thanks for the kind offer. i think the tuned base motor is the "sweet spot" for that motor - and if anything like my experience with my flashed gti, then that's the ticket for me.

i strongly suspect porsche "de-tuned" this 2.0 for no other reason than to entice buyers into upgrading into the v6 motored iterations.

thanks again for your insights
Old 10-05-2020, 05:00 PM
JC Lacayo
Pro

Received 135 Likes on 99 Posts

hey JC. forum hopping eh?

yes, that seems the wisest thing for me to do and "trim packages" don't matter to me, only the vehicles capability.

heck, i have what is for all intents and purposes an unbadged gt2 that began life as a "badged" twin turbo. suits me just fine for $50k less!

< thread hopping myself it seems. sorry mods - thanks >

i began my query in a "timing cover leak" thread and was OT and the mods have seemingly begun this thread with my OT comments. so anyone that might add their experiences with a chipped 2.0 any/all info is appreciated.
haha, got me!
I have the 996tt and the 16 Macan Turbo. Coming from the 987.1CS.
I'm debating between a GT3 next or a 718 4.0 next then GT3, so I'm all over this place.
Old 10-05-2020, 06:10 PM
k9turbo
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by JC Lacayo
haha, got me!
I have the 996tt and the 16 Macan Turbo. Coming from the 987.1CS.
I'm debating between a GT3 next or a 718 4.0 next then GT3, so I'm all over this place.
i hear you. this is really a quandary for me and i just went for an exhilarating drive and would miss the twin turbo immensely.

but it seems as if this may be "the time" to let my lifelong love of 911 ownership become a memory. a chipped macan would help assuage my loss

i never had a gt3 argh lol
Old 10-06-2020, 05:57 AM
thewanted
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not sure if you're looking at the facelifted 2.0, or the pre-facelift, but there are very few off-the-shelf tunes currently available for the facelift (245PS) because it is now fitted with a GPF/OPF.

APR and Cobb do not support this model yet. Burger Motorsport said that their JB4 piggyback does support it.

thanks for the kind offer. i think the tuned base motor is the "sweet spot" for that motor - and if anything like my experience with my flashed gti, then that's the ticket for me.

i strongly suspect porsche "de-tuned" this 2.0 for no other reason than to entice buyers into upgrading into the v6 motored iterations.

thanks again for your insights
It's not detuned by Porsche. It is literally a EA888 Gen3 engine from a Golf GTi, Audi A4, Skoda Octavia RS245 etc. If it was "detuned", it would need to be the ~300PS engine from say a Golf R or Audi S3 and turned down to 245 or 252 PS. Unless you mean that they deliberately created a big horsepower gap between the Macan and Macan S instead of fitting the Macan with the 300PS EA888 engine? If so, I agree with you.

Last edited by thewanted; 03-04-2021 at 06:17 AM.
Old 10-06-2020, 11:48 AM
k9turbo
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by thewanted
APR and Cobb do not support this model yet. Burger Motorsport said that their JB4 piggyback does support it.

It's not detuned by Porsche. It is literally a EA888 Gen3 engine from a Golf GTi, Audi A4, Skoda Octavia RS245 etc. If it was "detuned", it would need to the ~300PS engine from say a Golf R or Audi S3 and turned down to 245 or 252 PS. Unless you mean that they deliberately created a big horsepower gap between the Macan and Macan S instead of fitting the Macan with the 300PS EA888 engine? If so, I agree with you.
thanks for the input.

pre-facelift. probably a '17 MY and really thinking i should buy CPO at this point. i was speculating re "de-tuned" but only using my flashed 2.0 fsi motored gti as a frame of reference. but i do think in terms or marketing, it does porsche no good for buyers to know that a 1000$ "piggybacked" tune will nearly replicate their 3.0 motored car's performance.

i don't know much if anything about the differences between the motors but greatly appreciate the info. i need to learn of differences between the older FSI 2.0 gti/golf which i have - vs the "gen 3 golf/a4" motor as you say. do you have info as to stability/functionality of the "vr tuned" piggyback option?

i like this idea particularly if i do buy "CPO" as a dealer would know if i flash and flash back ( i.e. cobb accessport etc ) for service by reading the ecu. but then that requires undoing the module of the piggybacked setup. thanks again for the info
Old 10-06-2020, 11:59 AM
thewanted
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for the input.

pre-facelift. probably a '17 MY and really thinking i should buy CPO at this point. i was speculating re "de-tuned" but only using my flashed 2.0 fsi motored gti as a frame of reference. but i do think in terms or marketing, it does porsche no good for buyers to know that a 1000$ "piggybacked" tune will nearly replicate their 3.0 motored car's performance.

i don't know much if anything about the differences between the motors but greatly appreciate the info. i need to learn of differences between the older FSI 2.0 gti/golf which i have - vs the "gen 3 golf/a4" motor as you say. do you have info as to stability/functionality of the "vr tuned" piggyback option?

i like this idea particularly if i do buy "CPO" as a dealer would know if i flash and flash back ( i.e. cobb accessport etc ) for service by reading the ecu. but then that requires undoing the module of the piggybacked setup. thanks again for the info
There's some interesting info about tuning box (eg. BMS JB1/JB4) detection here, but I have no personal experience with tuning EA888 Gen 3 engines.

I just collected my facelifted CPO Macan 2.0 last week and I've being doing a ton of reading about the various options available, but I think I'm a little too risk-adverse to take the plunge at the moment.

Quick Reply: What's the performance of a Macan 2.0 chipped?