Notices
Macan 2014-Current

What's the performance of a Macan 2.0 chipped?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2020, 12:28 PM
k9turbo
Three Wheelin'

Received 260 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by thewanted
There's some interesting info about tuning box (eg. BMS JB1/JB4) detection here, but I have no personal experience with tuning EA888 Gen 3 engines.

I just collected my facelifted CPO Macan 2.0 last week and I've being doing a ton of reading about the various options available, but I think I'm a little too risk-adverse to take the plunge at the moment.
understood. seems to me, the only impediment or issue that would make me wait to "tune" would be CPO vs not. if i do buy "out of warranty" i am going to tune it from day one. going to look at a '16 today and my pal that has helped me with my two 911 turbo's over the last decade is the head tech there.

this will be helpful moving forward. except for no "independent" PPI! and no CPO. we shall see.
Old 10-06-2020, 12:37 PM
thewanted
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by k9turbo
understood. seems to me, the only impediment or issue that would make me wait to "tune" would be CPO vs not. if i do buy "out of warranty" i am going to tune it from day one. going to look at a '16 today and my pal that has helped me with my two 911 turbo's over the last decade is the head tech there.

this will be helpful moving forward. except for no "independent" PPI! and no CPO. we shall see.
Yeah exactly. If you buy CPO you have to weigh up how important the warranty is to you because it's pretty much null and void the minute you start fiddling.

If you know you're going to tune it, I reckon finding one somewhere else would provide better value as the Porsche dealerships really know how to increase the prices!
Old 10-06-2020, 01:27 PM
k9turbo
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by thewanted
Yeah exactly. If you buy CPO you have to weigh up how important the warranty is to you because it's pretty much null and void the minute you start fiddling.

If you know you're going to tune it, I reckon finding one somewhere else would provide better value as the Porsche dealerships really know how to increase the prices!
100% agreed. the last CPO'd porsche i bought added $5 +k? to the sales price. but was more than worth it in the end.

first repair would have been $8k plus for a trans repair for a then "known" design flaw and even then they still tried to obfuscate and "blame" me for the "damage". it was a "battle" that elevated to pcna, and i prevailed.

however, as the extra 2 years of CPO warranty was ending my SA, helped me fix every single thing known TSB or not, in the final two months of the coverage period. so, there is "value".

but yes to no fiddling if it is warrantied/cpo'd. giving porsche/pcna ANY reason to deny coverage is foolish, at best.
Old 10-07-2020, 12:18 PM
mdubya
Track Day

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

I own a 2019 Base Model. I drive it in Sport mode exclusively. Driven gently around town or commuting (not doing much of that these days), Sport Mode is infinitely better than the standard/economy setting.

On the weekends and quite a few weekday evenings, I take it out on rural back roads running in second through 5th gear, mostly, speeds of 25 to 75 mph, and while I am tempted to add a piggy back tuning box, I really have no need for it. Whether I am driving in a "spirited" or "serious" manner, the car is never lacking performance at those speeds. It could use a bit more stability through high speed corners, but in the truly twisty stuff, the car shines. And the rougher the surface, the more it shines. I can't imagine a true sports car doing any better (likely worse) on the rough and bumpy back roads I favor.

I get 23 - 24 mpg on the back roads, driving hard enough to leaving black lines into and out of second and third gear corners. The car easily cruises at 85 - 100 mph on the highway when traffic allows. I have done several dashes into speeds I would rather not post publicly.

Other than spec sheet bragging rights or if you only get your cheap thrills in a straight line, I cannot really understand needing more.
The following 6 users liked this post by mdubya:
155MPH (10-19-2020), colnago1331 (05-10-2021), Fiat88 (10-07-2020), jbx2 (10-15-2020), s_earl1 (11-07-2021), WillinEvergreen (05-01-2024) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 10-07-2020, 12:53 PM
k9turbo
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by mdubya
I own a 2019 Base Model. I drive it in Sport mode exclusively. Driven gently around town or commuting (not doing much of that these days), Sport Mode is infinitely better than the standard/economy setting.

On the weekends and quite a few weekday evenings, I take it out on rural back roads running in second through 5th gear, mostly, speeds of 25 to 75 mph, and while I am tempted to add a piggy back tuning box, I really have no need for it. Whether I am driving in a "spirited" or "serious" manner, the car is never lacking performance at those speeds. It could use a bit more stability through high speed corners, but in the truly twisty stuff, the car shines. And the rougher the surface, the more it shines. I can't imagine a true sports car doing any better (likely worse) on the rough and bumpy back roads I favor.

I get 23 - 24 mpg on the back roads, driving hard enough to leaving black lines into and out of second and third gear corners. The car easily cruises at 85 - 100 mph on the highway when traffic allows. I have done several dashes into speeds I would rather not post publicly.

Other than spec sheet bragging rights or if you only get your cheap thrills in a straight line, I cannot really understand needing more.

that is great info, thanks. once i am finally able to test a couple of these. ( hoping to test an S on friday ) i will have a better sense of what my needs are vs my wants.

i have really appreciated any time i have "tuned" either my porsches or even my current GTI. but you could well be right, and the base 2.0 might be "enough". in my mind i am trying to replicate some type of hybrid driving experience between my modded 911 turbo and my tuned gti.

to some that might sound crazy, some may understand what i'm hoping to achieve, if even within the realm of possibilities. i also am looking into the viability of "lowering" the macan and also with spacers 10 x 20mm? if this can be done without sacrificing "too much" comfort.

my rambling point is, that i would hope to coax any and all shared "heritage" and "sport" capability from the platform as is possible. without going completely crazy or slamming it etc.

perhaps that makes sense. or not...? still learning. albeit without yet having any seat time. we shall see.

thanks for that.
The following users liked this post:
mdubya (10-07-2020)
Old 10-12-2020, 09:36 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 301 Likes on 182 Posts

I'd agree with this post. Look, even the 911 Turbo S guys want more power. So it never ends. Lets not forget, it is a 5 passenger SUV, not a sports car. The 2.0T is decent on fuel and certainly keeps up with traffic and then some. I've noted a power deficit way, way up high at speeds I don't care to list, but that is such a ridiculous thing to hold against the base. At most speeds, the 2.0T is torquey and responsive. We are truly enjoying all the other options that going for the base SE allowed, like air suspension, and Premium Plus package. Wonderful, well made car. I can't say that I will never chip the car, but it isn't on my to do list now. The base is not a rocket but fast enough for those of us who don't want to make the news.
The following 4 users liked this post by PJ Cayenne:
155MPH (10-19-2020), jbx2 (10-19-2020), MarkTr (10-14-2020), mdubya (10-13-2020)
Old 10-19-2020, 11:47 AM
155MPH
AutoX

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a 2018 base and feel exactly the same. And I have previously owned a 997.1 which was fun at the time but no longer fits my needs.

The following 2 users liked this post by 155MPH:
colnago1331 (05-10-2021), mdubya (10-19-2020)
Old 05-01-2024, 01:49 AM
cata
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel consumption stage 1 MACAN 2.0

Hi! I want to do stage 1 at macan 2.0. I am interested in the fuel consumption during normal driving after a chip!
Old 05-01-2024, 04:35 PM
JDailey
Instructor

Received 99 Likes on 48 Posts

I did a Stage 1 tune on my 2020 Base Macan. It was good for ~55hp and ~70lb-ft of torque. It was fun, but for me it wasn't quite enough. The 2.0T still felt a little out of breath at higher speeds. And the gas mileage dropped noticeably. Those performance gains don't come from nowhere. I would see about 440miles of range rather than close to 500miles before the tune.
I enjoyed it for a year, but then decided to upgrade to a 2024 MacanS. I saw one on the lot at the local dealership that was optioned exactly as I'd have optioned it. Drove in on April 1 and made the deal. No regrets. The S just offers so much more performance. At higher speeds it still feels like there's just so much more on tap. I also love some of the other upgrades like Surround View and PASM. All in all, it wasn't cheap, but I'm really happy with my decision. My only annoyance is that with the new infotainment UI, it takes too many clicks to switch inputs, e.g. from FM to SD Card. Minor annoyance...

James
Denver, CO

I did some big road trips on the 2020 Macan:

The 2024 MacanS has ~100 miles on it.

Last edited by JDailey; 05-01-2024 at 05:17 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Penstamin (05-02-2024)
Old 05-01-2024, 05:49 PM
VAGfan
Pro

Received 283 Likes on 190 Posts

I have found no difference in the fuel economy (during normal driving) after adding a Stage-1 JB1 tuning module to my 2019 Base 2.0. My average MPG is the same. Drive like a maniac all the time and it will of-course be lower.
0 to 60 MPH went from 6.2 seconds to 5.5 seconds. No Launch Control was used when I measured this with an accelerometer-based performance gauge, same day, same level road, same conditions.

Last edited by VAGfan; 05-02-2024 at 10:35 AM.

Quick Reply: What's the performance of a Macan 2.0 chipped?