Macan 2014-Current

Would you buy the Macan again?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2020, 12:57 AM
2021Macan
Advanced

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by #1SomeGuy
Not really...you can have a fast vehicle that just feels like the engine is overworked, while some have effortless acceleration and the engine just is begging for more.
I'm guessing for you that it boils down to the difference of what "feels like" vs. the "actual numbers" as far as straight line acceleration is concerned. That, and I get the sense that being able to select "Ludicrous Mode" may well be in your future!
Old 08-07-2020, 01:02 AM
#1SomeGuy
Burning Brakes

Received 554 Likes on 331 Posts

Originally Posted by 2021Macan
I'm guessing for you that it boils down to the difference of what "feels like" vs. the "actual numbers" as far as straight line acceleration is concerned. That, and I get the sense that being able to select "Ludicrous Mode" may well be in your future!
Imagine this, you have two of the exact same car, same everything but one is powered by a turbo 4 with 300hp and the other a naturally aspirated v8 with 300hp and both do 0-60 in 5 seconds. Are you telling me you wouldn't be able to tell the difference in how the engines feel between the two? There's a difference between acceleration and how an engine actually feels.
Old 08-07-2020, 06:19 AM
Liste-Renn
Rennlist Member

Received 1,340 Likes on 608 Posts

I will chime in as an owner of a 2018 Macan GTS with these options:

I would most definitely buy a Macan again.

It is the Swiss Army knife of vehicles, i.e.. you can do things with it that a 911 cannot do.

OFF ROAD mode with the Air Suspension is ridiculously capable.

On my Euro Delivery, I rode shotgun in one on the engineered gelände course adjacent to the Leipzig factory/track. It is capable far beyond ANYTHING you might attempt to do in low traction or off road. (I thought we had destroyed it in the demo drive, but there were no pieces hanging off it afterwards!) It has a HILL mode that uses engine braking to hold speed on insane steep grades without using brakes.

SPORT and SPORT+ PDK modes are simply amazing for spirited street driving. The Air Suspension feature has 3 distinct ride heights, the suspension 3, as well. Mine has PTV+, which is icing on the cake as far as handling. The suspension settings, COMFORT (OFF), Firmer and Sport, work as described. No complaints with the transmission, engine or suspension. None.

The cabin is ergonomic, connectivity checks all of my boxes with Apple Car Play, and a PCM update a few years ago enabled the display of both WAZE and google Maps.

Best cockpit I have ever sat in, period. (Aircraft or car) I like the tactile switches, rather than a touchscreen with cascading menus.The AS seats are the best I have ever sat in, as well. LWB may be more supportive for track or extreme twisties on steep grades, but the 18-way adjustments with upper and lower bolster modes, are simply perfect. (I am 6'4", 200 lbs) If you program a setting for exit, you can relax the bolsters to almost flat for ingress and egress. Everything is "customizable", just read the manual- which many skip, to their enjoyment detriment.

The pano roof and side privacy curtains are features I use and appreciate often.

So, yeah, I could not be a bigger fan of the GTS. A 997 GTS 6MT is my other car, and it cannot keep up with it on mountain roads- but it goes offroad, where my 997 cannot, with aplomb.

I have driven my Macan in Europe (3600 miles) across the southern US from ATL-LAX (9000 miles) and did an LAX-SFO-LAX (1000 miles RT) road trip last year on the coast highway (US1). Last summer, drove LA to Portland, all the way on Highway 1. Took a month to go 1000 miles, took every left turn to beach parks and every right that accessed redwood forest. On or off road, no vehicle is better at both.

It is an awesome vehicle.

(No mechanical gripes so far, except a driver side front window motor that refused to go full closed once every 10 or 20 times. Replaced under warranty.)
The following 4 users liked this post by Liste-Renn:
2021Macan (08-07-2020), Boulder Mike (08-07-2020), k9turbo (08-07-2020), PDX991 (08-13-2020)
Old 08-07-2020, 06:43 AM
ABusLux
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 23 Posts

I have a Macan GTS since 2016 (MY17), and yes, I would —and probably will. I also have a 991.2 GTS (weekend and track toy) and my wife drives a Cayenne S e-hybrid, and for me the Macan is the best balance between those two worlds; sporty, comfortable and practical as a DD. The only complaint I have is mileage, which is terrible even when I consciously control my acceleration and braking. Mileage would actually be the only reason for me to buy a base model over a GTS, but then I fear I would lose a lot of the Porsche experience with the silent and much less powerful engine.
Old 08-07-2020, 08:56 AM
MAPC
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Comes down to what kind of vehicle you want

Originally Posted by SillyGoose
Still debating Panamera vs. Macan

I loved my 2018 Macan (base). I liked the look of the Panamera Sport Turismo so took one for a test drive. Beautiful vehicle but it made me realize I am either an SUV guy or a sports car car and not a sedan guy. It was just too big for what I like or what I needs. I have owned more cars than I’m willing to admit- at price points (current dollars) from low 20k’s to 150k. My favorite (not fastest, best, etc but one that I had bonded the most with) was my GTI. I then realized that one reason why I liked my Macan so much was that it felt like a ‘big boy’ version of the GTI.

So....I doubled down on the Macan and ordered a 2021 GTS. Can’t wait for it to arrive! It should REALLY feel like a big boy/higher end GTI.
The following 2 users liked this post by MAPC:
Boulder Mike (08-07-2020), PDX991 (08-13-2020)
Old 08-07-2020, 11:32 AM
2021Macan
Advanced

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by MAPC
My favorite (not fastest, best, etc but one that I had bonded the most with) was my GTI. I then realized that one reason why I liked my Macan so much was that it felt like a ‘big boy’ version of the GTI.
So....I doubled down on the Macan and ordered a 2021 GTS. Can’t wait for it to arrive! It should REALLY feel like a big boy/higher end GTI.
I have fond memories of my '83 Rabbit GTI. I believe that was the year they were first introduced, and it was near revolutionary in terms of its handling prowess at a very reasonable cost. Our other "fun car" we had at the time was a 1979 Mazda RX-7.
The following users liked this post:
MAPC (08-08-2020)
Old 08-07-2020, 11:36 AM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 163 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Liste-Renn

Very nice build! But all this, and no PCCB?!?!

That would have been the icing on the proverbial cake!

Jokes aside, beautiful build...well done.
Old 08-07-2020, 12:34 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,300 Likes on 1,367 Posts

Originally Posted by Liste-Renn

I would most definitely buy a Macan again.

It is the Swiss Army knife of vehicles, i.e.. you can do things with it that a 911 cannot do.

OFF ROAD mode with the Air Suspension is ridiculously capable.

On my Euro Delivery, I rode shotgun in one on the engineered gelände course adjacent to the Leipzig factory/track. It is capable far beyond ANYTHING you might attempt to do in low traction or off road. (I thought we had destroyed it in the demo drive, but there were no pieces hanging off it afterwards!) It has a HILL mode that uses engine braking to hold speed on insane steep grades without using brakes.

SPORT and SPORT+ PDK modes are simply amazing for spirited street driving. The Air Suspension feature has 3 distinct ride heights, the suspension 3, as well. Mine has PTV+, which is icing on the cake as far as handling. The suspension settings, COMFORT (OFF), Firmer and Sport, work as described. No complaints with the transmission, engine or suspension. None.

The cabin is ergonomic, connectivity checks all of my boxes with Apple Car Play, and a PCM update a few years ago enabled the display of both WAZE and google Maps.

Best cockpit I have ever sat in, period. (Aircraft or car) I like the tactile switches, rather than a touchscreen with cascading menus.The AS seats are the best I have ever sat in, as well. LWB may be more supportive for track or extreme twisties on steep grades, but the 18-way adjustments with upper and lower bolster modes, are simply perfect. (I am 6'4", 200 lbs) If you program a setting for exit, you can relax the bolsters to almost flat for ingress and egress. Everything is "customizable", just read the manual- which many skip, to their enjoyment detriment.

The pano roof and side privacy curtains are features I use and appreciate often.

So, yeah, I could not be a bigger fan of the GTS. A 997 GTS 6MT is my other car, and it cannot keep up with it on mountain roads- but it goes offroad, where my 997 cannot, with aplomb.

I have driven my Macan in Europe (3600 miles) across the southern US from ATL-LAX (9000 miles) and did an LAX-SFO-LAX (1000 miles RT) road trip last year on the coast highway (US1). Last summer, drove LA to Portland, all the way on Highway 1. Took a month to go 1000 miles, took every left turn to beach parks and every right that accessed redwood forest. On or off road, no vehicle is better at both.

It is an awesome vehicle.

(No mechanical gripes so far, except a driver side front window motor that refused to go full closed once every 10 or 20 times. Replaced under warranty.)
Damn for a minute there I thought you were talking about my 2008 V8 Touareg air suspension... and it can tow nearly double a Macan, has rear lockers, opening rear hatch window... for where I live the best car ever made. Only gripe is it doesn't have a DSG (PDK), will be kept as long as I can find parts. Oh yes, same hp out of the V8 as the Audi 3.0L in the Macan but of course a ton or so heavier, but torque is there.

siberian

Last edited by siberian; 08-07-2020 at 07:50 PM.
Old 08-07-2020, 07:45 PM
russw
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dgjks6
After 4 years and 140,000 miles I am strongly in the "no" camp. Few issues but when they arise they are impossible to repair or really really expensive for parts. Short term or new car for a couple years - sure - but that's not how we do cars.

I tend to buy and drive cars into the ground. 10 plus years with 200-300,000 miles. This will be the first car I won't be able to get to that point.
We're the same way, we tend to hold onto cars for a long time (150K isn't unusual).

You certainly can't compare the Macan to the Panamera, those are totally different cars. Look at the Tycan if you like the Panamera. Fast, quiet and the most up to date Porsche. I got a ride in a Taycan turbo S and the acceleration was insane and addictive.

As for the question, would I buy another. Let me start by saying that the Macan S with air suspension is a great all around vehicle. Great handling, solid build and nice interior. We built ours in the early days before the GTS came out. Air suspension, PSE, PTV+, etc. You just can't find that combination on other SUVs. We wanted something we could take on fire roads and but still have fun on pavement so that limits our options.

I'm starting to worry about the long term durability of our 2015 MS as well. We replaced our transfer case at 45K miles or so (under warrantee), the exhaust mount under the car broke (poor design, Porsche just ended hacking out the strap between exhaust pipes near center of car) and I read about PDK issues (perhaps not an issue on the new cars where it's more of a real Porsche PDK, not an Audi rebranded one).

I'm in no hurry to purchase another car so for me it all depends on what the Macan EV looks like (cost, performance, features, etc). I certainly hope they have a better value proposition than the Taycan (as nice as it is, it is very expensive for what you get, intangibles and all, IMO).
Old 08-07-2020, 10:18 PM
k9turbo
Three Wheelin'

Received 260 Likes on 212 Posts

i'm nearly about to do something i would never have considered owing to life and world changes. trading out my beloved modded 996 turbo for a used macan for life in wintry mountainous snow in winter country. i've had 7 911's and most always had one in the garage since the 1970's but i'm moving to a place that i feel the macan would be more practical, and while i have yet to drive one, strongly suspect it is nimble enough to "enjoy" in a "sport mode" kinda drive.

my question(s) for all the learned owners here. given i'm coming from a modded and RWD converted twin turbo 911 with roughly 475rwhp - and although i'm slowing down a "bit" owing to my chronological age.. am wondering if that will fulfill my need for speed, although it is not a 200 mph capable vehicle. of that i'm clearly aware.

would anyone think that a "base model" would provide enough "on tap juice"? or should i go for the turbo or S or gts only. i'm thinking a low miles '15 to '18 MY macan.

any suggestions or comments/advice are welcomed and appreciated.
i cant post this query in the 996 turbo forum, for they will try to talk me out of this. TIA.

Old 08-07-2020, 10:50 PM
Pat1202
Track Day

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi K9 - I have a base 2019 CPO that I picked up with 4700 miles on it - love it! I have owned M3's and when I push the "sport" button, there is plenty of so called juice! On my morning commute I sometimes catch myself at 80 mph without even knowing how I got there - very capable of passing when needed - living in snow covered MN this is the perfect vehicle - like you, I am slowing down a bit - lol - at this point, even being able to go 150 mph is not important to me - I looked at the S but going with the base saved me considerable $$$ and the power was plenty for me with combination of city and highway driving.
k9turbo (08-07-2020)
Old 08-07-2020, 10:59 PM
k9turbo
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Pat1202
Hi K9 - I have a base 2019 CPO that I picked up with 4700 miles on it - love it! I have owned M3's and when I push the "sport" button, there is plenty of so called juice! On my morning commute I sometimes catch myself at 80 mph without even knowing how I got there - very capable of passing when needed - living in snow covered MN this is the perfect vehicle - like you, I am slowing down a bit - lol - at this point, even being able to go 150 mph is not important to me - I looked at the S but going with the base saved me considerable $$$ and the power was plenty for me with combination of city and highway driving.
thank you for that. that you can mention an m3 and the macan base model in the same post is encouraging!
Old 08-08-2020, 12:22 AM
#1SomeGuy
Burning Brakes

Received 554 Likes on 331 Posts

Originally Posted by k9turbo
thank you for that. that you can mention an m3 and the macan base model in the same post is encouraging!
I think someone is just trying to justify their purchase...I would not go with anything less than an S. The base model is not nearly enough power to move such a heavy vehicle.
The following 2 users liked this post by #1SomeGuy:
Closertotruth (08-15-2020), k9turbo (08-08-2020)
Old 08-08-2020, 12:25 AM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,300 Likes on 1,367 Posts

You don't state what exactly (other than moving or living in "snow" or cold climates) you expect to do with the Macan? Tow? Don't tow much at 4k pounds, cargo area? Not much due to the roof slanting. And we can go on, but perhaps if you stated what your intended use is moving from a 996 would entail we could perhaps answer more fully. I of course realize, coming from a long line of 911s towing and cargo room wasn't an issue since it's non existent. So would those be factors in your new life? And yes, I've had 911s, 356SC's, 728...

And yes, as we get older we surprise ourselves as to what we are contemplating. I've pondered for years doing a project 71 Cuda muscle car and decided I'd spent enough time under a car. I'm keeping my 08 V8 Touareg for ever, selling my RS5 and hope to get a 992C4. The Macan S is my wife's car. Several mods with more coming but it's her car.

siberian
k9turbo (08-08-2020)
Old 08-08-2020, 12:29 AM
k9turbo
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by #1SomeGuy
I think someone is just trying to justify their purchase...I would not go with anything less than an S. The base model is not nearly enough power to move such a heavy vehicle.
i haven't had a "base entry level" model 911 since my 993 in '96 so i fully appreciate your point.

is there an easy way to know the differences btw the "base" macan, the S, and the gts(?) and the macan turbo without spending hours searching them individually?

I appreciate your and anyone's input as these forums are invaluable for owner feedback.

Quick Reply: Would you buy the Macan again?