Notices
Macan 2014-Current

Would you buy the Macan again?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2020, 09:52 AM
the2thdr
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, interesting thread. I have a 2018 Macan GTS and have a love/hate(?) relationship with the size at time. Love the size when carving corners. The Macan is just super agile. The wide contact patch, the suspension...amazing. Hate is a strong word. There is just the odd time where you recognize the compromise made with the rake of the rake of the rear hatch when doing a Costco run or something. Big deal? Not at all...put the seats down or load that toilet paper package on the back seat. The rear cargo cover is a bit of a pain at times to put back in after disengaging and not as fun to store because it is non-retractable. For me, there is a little lag with the 2018 engine, but in Sport Mode and hammering the pedal, not really noticeable. If I was taking my parents with my wife and me for a jaunt to the mountains, it may be tight.

The vehicle is amazing in the snow. I use Nokian Hakka 9. studded winter tires in 21 size. The vehicle is a mountain goat, even on glare ice. We seem to be receiving a lot of freezing rain lately in the winter and sometimes stopping at or taking off from traffic lights after freezing rain can be a hair-raising experience. Not a problem here. I am sure that the same could be said for a Quattro or xDrive vehicle with good winter tires, though.

Which brings me to answering your question...my lease is up and I am thinking of my next vehicle. The Macan (and for me...Porsche's in general) are as close to bullet-proof on reliability. I do oil changes ever 4500miles or 7500km. I drive it hard and not a hint of an issue. Having said that, I originally wanted a Macan Turbo Performance Package, but it was near the end of the run for that vehicle and I bought a GTS off the dealer lot. What would I do now or what am I considering?:

1) Macan GTS or Turbo: I need to test them to see if there is an appreciable difference with the engines. I know some reviewers are saying, once again, that the GTS is the smart buy

2) Audi RS6: have the first order slot at my dealer and have specified one. Digital dashes are just not my thing (more on that in a moment). It is one of the main reasons I continue to love the Macan. I know people complain about switches, but I love analog controls. Reminds me of a true cockpit with all the controls...lol.

3) Cayenne GTS: Just something about a V8 and the torque. I have never really been someone to like the "coupe" versions of SUV's, such as the X6, etc. Having said that, I find myself looking at the Cayenne Coupe a lot. It is really like a slightly bigger Macan to me. But, heavier and I worry that the extra mass may be too much of a trade off relative to the agility of the Macan. Price point is also slightly more stratospheric.

I picked up a Range Rover Velar Supercharged, suspending my own personal concerns of the electronic display. It is not as bad as I thought, but definitely not as responsive. Going to pass it on to my wife depending on what I do with the next vehicle purchase. Sorry for the long-winded response, but I think it is a testament to how good of a proposition Porsche vehicles are. I wish I had unlimited money, because I would probably buy a Panamera GTS, Cayenne GTS, and Macan Turbo...lol.

On a side note, I used to have a number of BMW's. Like another member said, BMW quality is not what it used to be. I tend to lease my vehicles, so I don't generally care, but am thinking of making a relatively final vehicle purchase. For me, it would only be Porsche or Audi. YMMV.

Good luck with your decision!

Old 08-03-2020, 12:19 PM
Dkk16
Racer

Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by the2thdr
Well, interesting thread. I have a 2018 Macan GTS and have a love/hate(?) relationship with the size at time. Love the size when carving corners. The Macan is just super agile. The wide contact patch, the suspension...amazing. Hate is a strong word. There is just the odd time where you recognize the compromise made with the rake of the rake of the rear hatch when doing a Costco run or something. Big deal? Not at all...put the seats down or load that toilet paper package on the back seat. The rear cargo cover is a bit of a pain at times to put back in after disengaging and not as fun to store because it is non-retractable. For me, there is a little lag with the 2018 engine, but in Sport Mode and hammering the pedal, not really noticeable. If I was taking my parents with my wife and me for a jaunt to the mountains, it may be tight.

The vehicle is amazing in the snow. I use Nokian Hakka 9. studded winter tires in 21 size. The vehicle is a mountain goat, even on glare ice. We seem to be receiving a lot of freezing rain lately in the winter and sometimes stopping at or taking off from traffic lights after freezing rain can be a hair-raising experience. Not a problem here. I am sure that the same could be said for a Quattro or xDrive vehicle with good winter tires, though.

Which brings me to answering your question...my lease is up and I am thinking of my next vehicle. The Macan (and for me...Porsche's in general) are as close to bullet-proof on reliability. I do oil changes ever 4500miles or 7500km. I drive it hard and not a hint of an issue. Having said that, I originally wanted a Macan Turbo Performance Package, but it was near the end of the run for that vehicle and I bought a GTS off the dealer lot. What would I do now or what am I considering?:

1) Macan GTS or Turbo: I need to test them to see if there is an appreciable difference with the engines. I know some reviewers are saying, once again, that the GTS is the smart buy

2) Audi RS6: have the first order slot at my dealer and have specified one. Digital dashes are just not my thing (more on that in a moment). It is one of the main reasons I continue to love the Macan. I know people complain about switches, but I love analog controls. Reminds me of a true cockpit with all the controls...lol.

3) Cayenne GTS: Just something about a V8 and the torque. I have never really been someone to like the "coupe" versions of SUV's, such as the X6, etc. Having said that, I find myself looking at the Cayenne Coupe a lot. It is really like a slightly bigger Macan to me. But, heavier and I worry that the extra mass may be too much of a trade off relative to the agility of the Macan. Price point is also slightly more stratospheric.

I picked up a Range Rover Velar Supercharged, suspending my own personal concerns of the electronic display. It is not as bad as I thought, but definitely not as responsive. Going to pass it on to my wife depending on what I do with the next vehicle purchase. Sorry for the long-winded response, but I think it is a testament to how good of a proposition Porsche vehicles are. I wish I had unlimited money, because I would probably buy a Panamera GTS, Cayenne GTS, and Macan Turbo...lol.

On a side note, I used to have a number of BMW's. Like another member said, BMW quality is not what it used to be. I tend to lease my vehicles, so I don't generally care, but am thinking of making a relatively final vehicle purchase. For me, it would only be Porsche or Audi. YMMV.

Good luck with your decision!
Bravo🇩🇪🏁😎!

I agree with the Analog vs Digital instrumentation. That’s one of the reasons I prefer the 991.2 911 over the 992.
Old 08-03-2020, 07:53 PM
Chris-911
Instructor

Received 137 Likes on 67 Posts

Guess I’m not the only one. Reason I’m eyeing replacing my Macan with another Macan is because I am not forced into a digital (in my eyes fake!) dashboard. I’m fairly young and love tech too. But I don’t like things that are fake if they can be real (such as dials, buttons, etc.). I also can’t stand shiny piano black scratch magnet surfaces. So Audi and increasingly Porsche is out. Hope this fad ends. Maybe we will go back to real controls and dials, and get rid of the shiny bling bling surfaces, one day. What’s next everything covered in chrome? How about a touchscreen on each door for a virtual door handle?
Old 08-04-2020, 12:04 AM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 304 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by Dkk16
Bravo🇩🇪🏁😎!

I agree with the Analog vs Digital instrumentation. That’s one of the reasons I prefer the 991.2 911 over the 992.
The new big nav screens are so distracting. I suppose the tech would be learned but when I get a loaner it takes quite awhile to figure things out.
I'm fine with the nav in my 991.2 and '18 Macan. Really don't need the bigger screen and I love all the real buttons.
The following users liked this post:
Blarghicide (08-04-2020)
Old 08-04-2020, 02:20 PM
blepski
Instructor

Received 147 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris-911
Guess I’m not the only one. Reason I’m eyeing replacing my Macan with another Macan is because I am not forced into a digital (in my eyes fake!) dashboard. I’m fairly young and love tech too. But I don’t like things that are fake if they can be real (such as dials, buttons, etc.). I also can’t stand shiny piano black scratch magnet surfaces. So Audi and increasingly Porsche is out. Hope this fad ends. Maybe we will go back to real controls and dials, and get rid of the shiny bling bling surfaces, one day. What’s next everything covered in chrome? How about a touchscreen on each door for a virtual door handle?
This is exactly why I'm looking at ordering a 2021 Macan at this point. I am actually now seeing the Macan as one of the last "old school" Porsches available along side the 718 Cayman / Boxster. Sadly, we have reached a point where the typical diminishing returns of a new model are actually becoming drawbacks.

I also have no interest in a screen laden, touch surface, piano black interior which is undoubtedly what the redesigned 2022 Macan will have.

The following 2 users liked this post by blepski:
Blarghicide (08-04-2020), Nate Johnson (01-09-2021)
Old 08-04-2020, 03:00 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,319 Likes on 1,378 Posts

The center console buttons will it seems be replaced by touch screen which will be great after you stop at a fast food place. I'm investing in screen wipes as we speak!

Also as of 2022 the *** will not be able to be defeated permanently and will have to be disabled every time you start the car. Given that it can't even remember heated seat and steering setting (something my 2008 Touareg already does) begs the question...why would I spend the cash? But then again Ferrari now come with an ....... infotainment system. SERIOUSLY?????????????????????? I'm buying or not a Ferrari unless I can synch it to my iPhone or Android? A 71 Cuda 440 please...

siberian
Old 08-04-2020, 03:39 PM
Chris-911
Instructor

Received 137 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by siberian
The center console buttons will it seems be replaced by touch screen which will be great after you stop at a fast food place. I'm investing in screen wipes as we speak!

Also as of 2022 the *** will not be able to be defeated permanently and will have to be disabled every time you start the car. Given that it can't even remember heated seat and steering setting (something my 2008 Touareg already does) begs the question...why would I spend the cash? But then again Ferrari now come with an ....... infotainment system. SERIOUSLY?????????????????????? I'm buying or not a Ferrari unless I can synch it to my iPhone or Android? A 71 Cuda 440 please...

siberian
How do you know that auto start stop in the 2022 models won’t be able to defeated permanently? That would suck.
Old 08-04-2020, 03:48 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

The 2021 Macans are mid year (software wise) and thus were not affected by the full (so called) upgrade that the Cayenne, 911 etc. had. In those models the *** can't be disabled via PIWIS/Launch/Durametric.... And yes it not only would but does, suck big time.

siberian
Old 08-04-2020, 04:45 PM
blepski
Instructor

Received 147 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by siberian
The 2021 Macans are mid year (software wise) and thus were not affected by the full (so called) upgrade that the Cayenne, 911 etc. had. In those models the *** can't be disabled via PIWIS/Launch/Durametric.... And yes it not only would but does, suck big time.

siberian
Is this a confirmed fact from Porsche that the 2021 Macans will retain the permanent *** disable ( memory) function via the center console switch ( same as the 2020)? Is there any official documentation regarding this?

The reason I am asking is because this is a major hinge point for me in regards to ordering a 2021. I absolutely hate that *** feature but knowing for sure that it will retain the permanent disable (memory) function will come as a major relief. My local dealer was very hesitant to answer that question when I asked.

Old 08-04-2020, 04:49 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

As I said, the current Macan, contrary to the Cayenne, 911, Panamera etc. which already "enjoy" this wonderful "upgrade" (meaning no longer being able to permanently defeat ***), was not affected by it since it was considered a mid-year revision. The 2022 Macan, to the best of my knowledge, will rejoin the rest of the lineage. Can't imagine why it wouldn't.

siberian
Old 08-05-2020, 10:31 AM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 163 Likes on 127 Posts

Would I buy a Macan again? Hmm? I’m thinking probably not, only because this is my 3rd consecutive Porsche SUV/CUV. I had 2 Cayenne Turbos prior to my Macan GTS. I’ve really enjoyed the 3 of them.

But being a long time auto enthusiast, I’ve owned MANY different makes/models. To me, variety is the automotive spice of life. So many nice vehicles out there, especially nowadays. So what would my next vehicle be? I’ve been thinking a lot about that lately. I recently retired and now have the time to enjoy the great driving roads around my area in the Piedmont and Blue Ridge mountain regions. I’ve owned Z06s and other dedicated performance cars prior to owning my Porsche SUVs, and I’m thinking of going back to something along those lines. Might be something like a Cayman S/GTS, a Vette GS/Z06, or Camaro 1LE or ZL1. Having recently driven the Gen 6 Camaro SS 1LE, very impressive! I can see why the automotive press gives that car very high praise. On my lengthy test drive of it, I had forgotten how much I enjoy a really good N/A V8! Yeah we could debate things like some of the subpar interior materials, lack of outward visibility, etc., but I don’t care about that....my next vehicle is going to be more fun/performance focused.....my weekend canyon carver. All vehicles have their pros/cons. You just gotta finally pick what’s right for YOU.

Anyway, we’ll see where this leads for me. But again, if and when the time comes to replace the Macan, it wouldn’t be because of any problems/issues or dislike at all. I love my GTS, it’s a great vehicle. It’s just that I’m getting the itch for something else as my next ‘fun vehicle’. My Macan GTS (and the other ‘fun vehicles’ I’ve owned over the years) are not daily drivers, they’re just for fun...weekend drives, etc.

Cheers all!
Old 08-05-2020, 09:35 PM
Curvesurfer
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

I love my Macan Turbo. But I think it's a bit too small for our frequent trips to the mountains, and I didn't spec with roof rails or a hitch (so we end up taking the Transsyberia). So if I was replacing and could only have 1 car, a V8 Cayenne GTS (ideally with 18" wheels to allow snow chains) would probably take it's place.
Old 08-06-2020, 10:03 PM
VVG
Rennlist Member

Received 1,099 Likes on 542 Posts

Love my 2018 built to spec GTS. It is my daily driver, and the handling capabilities for a vehicle like this never cease to amaze me. It is also simply the perfect combination of sportiness and daily drive comfort. It is deceptively fast and the high speed stability is remarkable for an SUV. My one complaint is that while quick, the engine feels like it is straining to move the vehicle. You can really tell that it is a boosted small motor pulling a heavier load. I should have gone for a turbo with the power package but that just felt expensive for a daily driver for me. In retrospect, I should have done it. I did get a Cobb tune which definitely helps, but I am just used to a more effortless feel from an engine. Of course I am coming from a TT V8 Audi S6 prior to the Macan and two V8 Cayennes before that.
Old 08-06-2020, 11:48 PM
2021Macan
Advanced

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by VVG
Love my 2018 built to spec GTS. It is my daily driver, and the handling capabilities for a vehicle like this never cease to amaze me. It is also simply the perfect combination of sportiness and daily drive comfort. It is deceptively fast and the high speed stability is remarkable for an SUV. My one complaint is that while quick, the engine feels like it is straining to move the vehicle. You can really tell that it is a boosted small motor pulling a heavier load. I should have gone for a turbo with the power package but that just felt expensive for a daily driver for me. In retrospect, I should have done it. I did get a Cobb tune which definitely helps, but I am just used to a more effortless feel from an engine. Of course I am coming from a TT V8 Audi S6 prior to the Macan and two V8 Cayennes before that.
While I think I get your point, "Deceptively fast" and "engine feels like it is straining to move the vehicle" seem to contract one another. But if straight line acceleration is your main priority, even for what you say is your daily driver, then yes you probably should have bought a different vehicle.
Old 08-07-2020, 12:36 AM
#1SomeGuy
Burning Brakes

Received 554 Likes on 331 Posts

Originally Posted by 2021Macan
While I think I get your point, "Deceptively fast" and "engine feels like it is straining to move the vehicle" seem to contract one another. But if straight line acceleration is your main priority, even for what you say is your daily driver, then yes you probably should have bought a different vehicle.
Not really...you can have a fast vehicle that just feels like the engine is overworked, while some have effortless acceleration and the engine just is begging for more.

Quick Reply: Would you buy the Macan again?