On the highway at 75 to 8o it gets up to about 26 mpg
The following users liked this post:
quallzone (09-12-2024)
Old 09-12-2024, 01:07 PM
Larson E. Rapp
Pro

Received 480 Likes on 281 Posts

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
You don't seem to get it. I own both a Base and S.

The PDKs operate exactly the same. I drive like normal person. ... Maybe you drive in an odd manner?
That's probably it. We both drive like our grandmas, but my grandma was Denise McCluggage.

The S is rarely in the right gear, and when it is, it doesn't stay there long, not even in Sport+ mode (which mine is hardwired to.) When I get a loaner from the dealer -- last time it was a Macan T -- I always come away feeling vaguely sheepish about dropping the extra money for the S.

Of course the story is different when serious passing power is called for, but for everyday driving around town, the base model's throttle response and PDK programming is a breath of fresh air. No one who values both aggression and smoothness in driving would agree with your assertion that there is no difference.
Old 09-12-2024, 01:15 PM
peterp
Drifting

Received 772 Likes on 468 Posts

Originally Posted by dak911
You don't find the S faster and quicker in response?
The Base is really responsive in normal driving because the torque peak is at 1600 RPM (for our 2018, 1800 RPM for 2024). My Base is stock and it feels about the same as the S in normal driving. I didn't tell my wife our loaner was an S, and she couldn't tell a difference when I asked which car she preferred. When you put your foot in it and let it rev, then you feel a difference, but we rarely do that in a DD SUV.

Years ago, when I bought the Audi Q5 we had before the Macan, which had almost the same 2.0t as the Macan Base, it felt quite a bit stronger than the Q5 6-cylinder alternative in normal driving. The only downside of the Base/4-cylinder is a less smooth idle, and on the highway when the transmission chooses to keep it at 1300 (or whatever RPM), you feel a little roughness from the 4-cylinder that I don't think is there on the S (as best I can recall).
Carlo_Carrera (09-12-2024)
Old 09-12-2024, 01:23 PM
peterp
Drifting

Received 772 Likes on 468 Posts

Originally Posted by Larson E. Rapp
That's probably it. We both drive like our grandmas, but my grandma was Denise McCluggage.

The S is rarely in the right gear, and when it is, it doesn't stay there long, not even in Sport+ mode (which mine is hardwired to.) When I get a loaner from the dealer -- last time it was a Macan T -- I always come away feeling vaguely sheepish about dropping the extra money for the S.

Of course the story is different when serious passing power is called for, but for everyday driving around town, the base model's throttle response and PDK programming is a breath of fresh air. No one who values both aggression and smoothness in driving would agree with your assertion that there is no difference.
Maybe certain years behave differently. Maybe check for a recall or TSB to see if it has been addressed. I doubt anybody is not reporting what they feel when they drive an S. In our 2 loaner S's, I couldn't really tell a difference from our Base in normal driving.

Last edited by peterp; 09-13-2024 at 02:57 PM.
Carlo_Carrera (09-12-2024)
Old 09-12-2024, 01:24 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,576 Likes on 1,632 Posts

Originally Posted by Larson E. Rapp
…No one who values both aggression and smoothness in driving would agree with your assertion that there is no difference.
Again, all I can say is that I own both and there is no difference.

To sort of back up my credentials. I’ve been racing and doing HPDEs starting on BMWs and then 911s for almost 40 years. I know how a car feels at all levels performance.
Old 09-13-2024, 03:53 PM
JDailey
Instructor

Received 115 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by quallzone
Do you mind sharing your specific fuel economy numbers for city and highway driving? Are you looking at the electronic mpg calculation in the Macan dashboard, or are you independently recording the mileage, fill-ups, and calculating mpg?
Life to date on my 2024 Subaru Crosstrek Wilderness after 800 miles of ownership is 24.0 mpg.
Life to date on my 2024 Porsche Macan S after 4,824 miles is 22.4 mpg.

But here's the interesting part: The MacanS has 375 horsepower, 380 lb-ft of torque and weighs ~4,100 pounds. The Crosstrek has 182 horsepower, 178 lb-ft, and weighs only 3,300. If I were a Subaru engineer, I'd be embarrassed. And at Porsche I would crowing about how they can deliver this kind of driving performance with entry-level hatchback fuel economy. Fuel economy is read from each car's computer; I have no reason to believe they're materially inaccurate.

Both vehicles are driven entirely for road trips in the Mountain West. I have no in-town commute. The Subaru has been back and forth from Denver to Breckenridge and Vail a few times where the Porsche most recently drove from Denver to Revelstoke British Columbia and Back (~3K miles total).

-James
Denver, CO

Here's the reading immediately after driving from Golden, British Columbia, Canada to Denver in one day.

Last edited by JDailey; 09-13-2024 at 10:01 PM.
Old Yesterday, 11:48 AM
bent
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Macan handles better in snow and rough roads, compared to previous SUV's I've had (Mercedes and American). It is a comfortable and fun DD, I have no dislikes.
Old Yesterday, 11:53 AM
dak911
Three Wheelin'

Received 153 Likes on 126 Posts

23 mpg at average of 71 mph ...not bad , that's some good goin'
Old Yesterday, 11:59 AM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,356 Likes on 1,397 Posts

Alas the wife's 2020 S doesn't come close to my 2008 V8 Touareg in anything (towing, torque, comfort {with air suspension of course), price of parts and the fact that the back window isn't full of crap all the time). But it's a hog in gas consumption yet allows me to ferry 5 Siberians to vet appointments and tow 7,700 pounds.

If they'd still made a (reasonably priced) V8 Touareg in the US I wouldn't have bought the Macan. My 16 year old V8 is a Cayenne at half the price.

siberian
dak911 (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 12:05 PM
dak911
Three Wheelin'

Received 153 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by siberian
Alas the wife's 2020 S doesn't come close to my 2008 V8 Touareg in anything (towing, torque, comfort {with air suspension of course), price of parts and the fact that the back window isn't full of crap all the time). But it's a hog in gas consumption yet allows me to ferry 5 Siberians to vet appointments and tow 7,700 pounds.

If they'd still made a (reasonably priced) V8 Touareg in the US I wouldn't have bought the Macan. My 16 year old V8 is a Cayenne at half the price.

siberian
For those of us who don't TOW, don't have 5 150 # dogs (2 10 # ers) it's the best all around vehicle ever..
Old Yesterday, 12:08 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

If you would care to research, your data is is off by a factor of 3. Siberians at most weight below 50 pounds and if you don't tow why an SUV? To go to Walmart in an AWD in Miami?

siberian
Old Yesterday, 02:23 PM
WillinEvergreen
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts

So, the only reason to buy an SUV is to tow. Shoot! I have been doing it wrong all these years; I am now enlightened.

Last edited by WillinEvergreen; Yesterday at 02:24 PM.
Sajan (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 02:44 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

No, but if you have a 4,000 pound+ SUV AWD to go to Walmart in LA...

siberian
Old Yesterday, 03:02 PM
Larson E. Rapp
Pro

Received 480 Likes on 281 Posts

Costco, maybe, but certainly not Walmart! How else am I supposed to haul 84-pack jumbo paper towel rolls...
The following 3 users liked this post by Larson E. Rapp:
dak911 (Yesterday), quallzone (Today), Sajan (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 03:08 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Don't knock Wally World, I always enjoy going shopping overdressed in Fairbanks!

siberian

Quick Reply: (Hopefully) Constructive "things you don't like/hate about your Macan" thread