Macan 2014-Current

(Hopefully) Constructive "things you don't like/hate about your Macan" thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2024, 12:47 PM
JDailey
Instructor

Received 115 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by dak911
This may have been mentioned, but anyway,,the BRAKE HOLD when stopped (at a light, in traffic) is one of the best features on any car..
I have it on my 2024 Subaru Crosstrek, and I didn't realize how much I would like it! It seemed like a gimmick, but once you have it, you come to appreciate it.

Old 09-11-2024, 01:00 PM
peterp
Drifting

Received 772 Likes on 468 Posts

Originally Posted by peterp
One thing I dislike (on a 2018 at least) is that during the day, only the right instrument cluster gauge is backlit, and the left two are dark. It would be a slightly more readable if the left two were backlit also, but mostly it looks weird to my eye to have 2/3rds of the cluster dark, and 1/3rd lit. Is there a setting available to make all the gauges backlit during the day? The lights are LED and will likely last far longer than the car, so not sure why Porsche keeps two of the gauges dark.
Quoting my prior quote to ask if anyone knows if there is a configuration setting to turn on the backlighting in the left 2 gauges? This is for a 2018 -- would also be curious if the latest models have only the right gauge backlit during the day (can't remember from service loaners)
Old 09-11-2024, 03:42 PM
jwalz1
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The transmission programming on my 2020 Macan S is one of the worst I have experienced in a late model car. It either wants to shift to soon, hold high rpms way too long after letting off the gas, slow to downshift if you suddenly have to stand on it, and then will kick down two gears and hit redline almost immediately. It also has arbitrary MPH settings that won't let you manually upshift unless you are beyond a set MPH, so if you are in slow traffic going 18 it will hold second and will not let you use the paddle to go to 3rd unless you hit a 20 mph threshold, so if traffic does not allow you to get to twenty in a slow creep, you have high rpm, a bunch of noise and no way out of it unless traffic goes faster.

It also delivers poor mileage for the size, weight and power relative to the competition.

Otherwise I like the car.
The following users liked this post:
Sajan (Yesterday)
Old 09-11-2024, 03:59 PM
peterp
Drifting

Received 772 Likes on 468 Posts

Originally Posted by jwalz1
The transmission programming on my 2020 Macan S is one of the worst I have experienced in a late model car. It either wants to shift to soon, hold high rpms way too long after letting off the gas, slow to downshift if you suddenly have to stand on it, and then will kick down two gears and hit redline almost immediately. It also has arbitrary MPH settings that won't let you manually upshift unless you are beyond a set MPH, so if you are in slow traffic going 18 it will hold second and will not let you use the paddle to go to 3rd unless you hit a 20 mph threshold, so if traffic does not allow you to get to twenty in a slow creep, you have high rpm, a bunch of noise and no way out of it unless traffic goes faster.

It also delivers poor mileage for the size, weight and power relative to the competition.

I haven't experienced that with our 2018 Base or with loaner S Macans. Have you had the dealer check if it is working properly?

On the 2018 Base, the transmission is pretty responsive the more you put your foot in it. My gripe is that it keeps the RPMs so low on the highway (1500 RPM or lower) that sometimes it feels like the engine is lugging (possibly not an issue on an S, but with the Base 2.0t, you feel it). I'm sure they do that to maximize mileage, but they've gone a bit far at steady state highway speeds. That's actually my only gripe about the 2.0t, otherwise it's torquey and great for a daily driver.
Old 09-11-2024, 04:52 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,576 Likes on 1,632 Posts

My 2019 S does not do any of that. Mine always seems to be in the proper gear. You might have a software issue.
dak911 (09-11-2024)
Old 09-11-2024, 07:30 PM
Larson E. Rapp
Pro

Received 480 Likes on 281 Posts

No, that's pretty much how the S behaves. Drive a base model back-to-back with yours and you'll be amazed at how much better the base model's PDK programming is.
Old 09-11-2024, 09:46 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Sorry, yes. I own both a 2020 Base and a 2019 S and my S PDK is always in the perfect gear and does not react the way jwalz1 describes.

Base and S PDKs drive and operate exactly the same.

Last edited by Carlo_Carrera; 09-11-2024 at 09:51 PM.
Old 09-11-2024, 09:51 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Did you buy the Macan used?
Old 09-11-2024, 10:58 PM
JDailey
Instructor

Received 115 Likes on 54 Posts

My 2024 Macan gets better fuel economy, even with spirited driving, than my four-cylinder, CVT, 2024 Subaru Crosstrek. I think the main culprit is that I live in Denver and regularly drive into the mountains up to 10,000 feet. The Subaru does not have a turbo, so it performs poorly at elevation.

But still, I was shocked to be getting better fuel economy out of the Porsche which has double the horsepower, double the torque, and half the 0 to 60 time, and weighs 800lbs more compared to the Subaru. So I am surprised by the prior post complaining about Macan gas mileage -- it seems great to me!

Last edited by JDailey; 09-11-2024 at 10:59 PM.
Old 09-11-2024, 11:37 PM
Larson E. Rapp
Pro

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
Sorry, yes. I own both a 2020 Base and a 2019 S and my S PDK is always in the perfect gear and does not react the way jwalz1 describes.

You must drive very differently than some of the rest of us do.

That is simply ******* ridiculous.
Old 09-11-2024, 11:39 PM
Larson E. Rapp
Pro

---
Old 09-12-2024, 10:31 AM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Larson E. Rapp
You must drive very differently than some of the rest of us do.

That is simply ******* ridiculous.
You don't seem to get it. I own both a Base and S.

The PDKs operate exactly the same. I drive like normal person. The only difference between the two is the throttle response in the Base is a bit softer and that is not due to the engine size. It is due to the mapping.

Maybe you drive in an odd manner?

Last edited by Carlo_Carrera; 09-12-2024 at 10:32 AM.
Old 09-12-2024, 10:53 AM
dak911
Three Wheelin'

Received 153 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
You don't seem to get it. I own both a Base and S.

The PDKs operate exactly the same. I drive like normal person. The only difference between the two is the throttle response in the Base is a bit softer and that is not due to the engine size. It is due to the mapping.

Maybe you drive in an odd manner?
You don't find the S faster and quicker in response?
Old 09-12-2024, 11:58 AM
quallzone
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by JDailey
My 2024 Macan gets better fuel economy, even with spirited driving, than my four-cylinder, CVT, 2024 Subaru Crosstrek. I think the main culprit is that I live in Denver and regularly drive into the mountains up to 10,000 feet. The Subaru does not have a turbo, so it performs poorly at elevation.

But still, I was shocked to be getting better fuel economy out of the Porsche which has double the horsepower, double the torque, and half the 0 to 60 time, and weighs 800lbs more compared to the Subaru. So I am surprised by the prior post complaining about Macan gas mileage -- it seems great to me!
Do you mind sharing your specific fuel economy numbers for city and highway driving? Are you looking at the electronic mpg calculation in the Macan dashboard, or are you independently recording the mileage, fill-ups, and calculating mpg?

And yes, I realize it feels pointless asking about fuel economy in a Porshce Macan. If I wanted better mileage, I would have purchased a Honda CRV. . . but just curious anyway.

Last edited by quallzone; 09-12-2024 at 02:33 PM.
Old 09-12-2024, 12:49 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dak911
You don't find the S faster and quicker in response?
My Base has a tune which brings the HP up
to 300 and max torque to 325 so that coupled with its 200 pound lighter engine makes the Base in Sport mode just quick as the S in Normal mode.

My S has Sport Chrono and Sport Suspension so when I put it in Sport+ it once again has the advantage over the Base.

Last edited by Carlo_Carrera; 09-12-2024 at 01:25 PM.
peterp (09-12-2024)

Quick Reply: (Hopefully) Constructive "things you don't like/hate about your Macan" thread