Notices

Does anybody here wrench on their cars??

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2007, 12:08 AM
GhettoRacer
A Banned 'Haiku Victim'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does anybody here wrench on their cars??

I think the % of Porsche owners that work on their cars is pretty low... It doesn't have to be full blown engine tear down and building up. But perhaps, a timing belt, water pump change, or a clutch change....
Old 03-25-2007, 12:52 AM
cooleyjb
Documenter of Ineptitude
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

I'd bet that it's a hgiher % than Honduh
Old 03-25-2007, 08:10 AM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

*shrug*
*sigh*
*yawn*
Old 03-25-2007, 09:18 AM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Once again, our OWNED Dung Boy "thinks", but doesn't know and is talking out his *** again.
Old 03-25-2007, 10:31 AM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

All the guys with older 911's do their own water pumps.

So now we know (yet again) that GhettoRacist69:
1) Thinks that Orientals are better than everyone else
2) Thinks that Honda owners are better than everyone else
3) Thinks all cars have water pumps
4) Won't be able to resist replying to me, yet again, and again, and again.

I will donate $500 to the GhettoRacist69 challenge on this basis:
1) 5 times the size of GhettoRacist69's attachment times $100 (I figure 1 inch times 5 = $500)
2) He does not reply to any of my posts for 10 days.
3) I will show up to the GhettoRacist Challenge with checkbook in hand (but is has to happen this year).
Old 03-25-2007, 02:29 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

If Dung Boy could access the many other Forums on Rennlist, as he could before he was BANNED from them, he would be able to educate himself by seeing all of the threads about DIY maintenance and repairs by thousands of Porsche owners. But instead of self education, he continues to choose self flagellation!
Old 03-26-2007, 10:04 AM
Nathan Muir
Advanced

Originally Posted by GhettoRacer
I think the % of Porsche owners that work on their cars is pretty low... It doesn't have to be full blown engine tear down and building up. But perhaps, a timing belt, water pump change, or a clutch change....
Considering most Hondas are DD cars I be that Porsche has a much higher owner/ wrench % than Honda. This is not good or bad for Honda just a fact of the car types. Porsche builds sports cars and most Hondas are get you to work cars. Websites like this one, Pelican Parts and some of the local ones that I will not link you to less you venture there are chock full of shade tree wrenches that goes from a set of brake pads to full machined up rebuilds and power improvments.

I think you are drawing your conclusions based on what you see right in front of you rather than a large wide angle picture. You are deep into Honda tuning. Most Honda owners are not.
Old 03-26-2007, 01:53 PM
Bonster
Moderator and 993 whisperer
Lifetime Rennlist

There's a joke I make with some of my buddies out here. The more you pay for the car, the more you work on it. This is my theory of why I hardly ever work on my car at the track, while guys with fast, pricey cars wrench for about an hour to get 20 minutes out of their car. I do my wrenching at home for the most part. Miatas might be slow, and they might not cost as much, but it's a rare sight to see Miata racers working on their cars in the paddock.
Old 03-26-2007, 02:07 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Many of my Porsche owning friends have complete professional lifts, etc. in their home garages. One of the reasons I bought my current house was that it had a Rotary brand lift with a Porsche sitting on it in one of the garage bays. I now have a 7 lift service facility at the office too, with all test equipment and tools, including a small machine shop.
Old 03-26-2007, 02:21 PM
Bonster
Lifetime Rennlist

Are you 'adopting' Bob?
Old 03-26-2007, 02:26 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I'm looking to be adopted.....
Old 03-26-2007, 02:53 PM
Nathan Muir
Advanced

I too have a home shop with lift, air, tools, welding, metal forming, cutting and bending equp. Sorry, I do not own any gold chains, my chest is not overly hairy but mi-blz-R, I know Porsche is pronunced Por-sha, I don't think about getting little Porsche crest valve stems, I do think about adding lightness, I have never to the best I can remember owned a pinky ring. I did have a brand new 1978 Honda civic cvcc 5 speed and drove the crap out of it and did all my own wrenching on it too. What were you doing in 1978?
Old 03-26-2007, 03:54 PM
Bonster
Lifetime Rennlist

What was *who* doing in 1978? I was in grade school.
Old 03-26-2007, 06:29 PM
GhettoRacer
A Banned 'Haiku Victim'

Originally Posted by Nathan Muir
Considering most Hondas are DD cars I be that Porsche has a much higher owner/ wrench % than Honda. This is not good or bad for Honda just a fact of the car types. Porsche builds sports cars and most Hondas are get you to work cars. Websites like this one, Pelican Parts and some of the local ones that I will not link you to less you venture there are chock full of shade tree wrenches that goes from a set of brake pads to full machined up rebuilds and power improvments.

I think you are drawing your conclusions based on what you see right in front of you rather than a large wide angle picture. You are deep into Honda tuning. Most Honda owners are not.
Well, no body knows the actual figure that's for sure. Has Porsche or Porsche mags ever polled how many % of its readers wrench on their cars? I'm sure the percentage of Porsche owners that wrench on their cars is far greater for older cars than it is for late models... most of the people that car afford late model Porsche now days do not wrench on their cars.

By sheer numbers, I think it's safe to say that are far more shade tree Honda mechanics than any other make in the world.
Old 03-26-2007, 06:30 PM
GhettoRacer
A Banned 'Haiku Victim'

In 1978 I was about 5 years old and playing around in my dad's little hair dryer factory in Taipei, Taiwan... I manage to blow something up and scar my leg...

Quick Reply: Does anybody here wrench on their cars??