strut tower failure

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2017, 06:52 PM
Joe Weinstein
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Shockwave
Status of your car Joe?
Hi thanks, I'm back in action, the car's perfect, checked, aligned, corner-balanced and back in the fray!
Old 03-31-2017, 07:35 PM
Shockwave
Three Wheelin'

Received 99 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Weinstein
Hi thanks, I'm back in action, the car's perfect, checked, aligned, corner-balanced and back in the fray!
Thats awesome to hear!! Welcome back.
Old 04-01-2017, 11:21 AM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Received 607 Likes on 416 Posts

Originally Posted by chasen1211
I saw another one happen out at Thunderhill a month or two back. I picked up the strut tower brackets like in the Clubsports from PMNA for some peace of mind.
Nice . Do the brackets tie to the strut tower or body of the car anyplace besides the three fasteners on the top of the tower?
Old 04-04-2017, 01:34 PM
chasen1211
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by HelpMeHelpU
That's a great idea. Care sharing cost of STBs and install?
$350 for the brackets.
Old 04-25-2017, 02:12 PM
Joe Weinstein
Three Wheelin'

Default A metalurgical post-script...

I was able to get the part examined (thoroughly but 'unofficially'*) by a metals lab, and there were some aspects of interest.

They were not told, but from their tests they were able to identify the metal as from Porsche, because it is apparently a proprietary aluminum alloy that is very strong. I would guess that any shop that ever simply tries to weld one of these back together would be fighting a metallurgical battle they couldn't win.

They found that my part had two fracture surfaces, meaning that a crack had occurred much prior to the date of my road incident, and the complete failure was induced by enough new jolting to break the rest of it. It seems we should define a regular inspection protocol for this part, and perhaps a concerted consideration of the club-sport reinforcement part, and a write-up on what it takes to install? I still have most of the broken part to examine. I would want to make sure the reinforcement actually added support where the fracture occurred...

*The information was delivered unofficially, delivered by word-of-mouth only, for free as a kind and generous professional courtesy. They can make this information available in a formal detailed official engineering report, for a time, if it is paid for, and it is not likely to be cheap. This is because an official report exposes the testing company to time spent later, in involvement in any business or legal proceeding in which the report might become material.

HTH,
Joe
Old 04-25-2017, 02:41 PM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Received 1,457 Likes on 909 Posts

Originally Posted by chasen1211
I saw another one happen out at Thunderhill a month or two back. I picked up the strut tower brackets like in the Clubsports from PMNA for some peace of mind.

Is this a part that can be sourced from aftermarket sellers or just PMNA?
Old 04-25-2017, 03:36 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,301 Likes on 604 Posts

I was able to get the part examined (thoroughly but 'unofficially'*) by a metals lab, and there were some aspects of interest.

They were not told, but from their tests they were able to identify the metal as from Porsche, because it is apparently a proprietary aluminum alloy that is very strong. I would guess that any shop that ever simply tries to weld one of these back together would be fighting a metallurgical battle they couldn't win.

They found that my part had two fracture surfaces, meaning that a crack had occurred much prior to the date of my road incident, and the complete failure was induced by enough new jolting to break the rest of it. It seems we should define a regular inspection protocol for this part, and perhaps a concerted consideration of the club-sport reinforcement part, and a write-up on what it takes to install? I still have most of the broken part to examine. I would want to make sure the reinforcement actually added support where the fracture occurred...

*The information was delivered unofficially, delivered by word-of-mouth only, for free as a kind and generous professional courtesy. They can make this information available in a formal detailed official engineering report, for a time, if it is paid for, and it is not likely to be cheap. This is because an official report exposes the testing company to time spent later, in involvement in any business or legal proceeding in which the report might become material.

HTH,
Joe

Extremely interesting, and thank you for doing this for the community, Joe.
Old 04-25-2017, 04:54 PM
Yargk
Rennlist Member

Received 228 Likes on 148 Posts

+1
Old 04-25-2017, 04:55 PM
Joe Weinstein
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by stout
Extremely interesting, and thank you for doing this for the community, Joe.
You're very welcome, we help each other, and there are others to thank, who will remain nameless.
Old 04-25-2017, 08:41 PM
BryanCO
Drifting

Received 208 Likes on 148 Posts

HTH,
Joe
Thanks for the info.

So, what was the unofficial failure mode of the original crack?
Old 04-25-2017, 09:08 PM
Joe Weinstein
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by BryanCO
Thanks for the info.

So, what was the unofficial failure mode of the original crack?
As I recall, the implication was that it was also impact-originating, as opposed to any gaps/imperfections in the metal. I cannot think of any prior impact though... Bumpy roads at worst. No air, no track days, so no corner kerbs etc.
Old 04-26-2017, 12:40 AM
Beantown Kman
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

As I recall, the implication was that it was also impact-originating, as opposed to any gaps/imperfections in the metal. I cannot think of any prior impact though... Bumpy roads at worst. No air, no track days, so no corner kerbs etc.
Another thank you for all you have posted about this. Was your car ever driven by anyone else that could have contributed to the problem?
Old 04-26-2017, 12:47 AM
Joe Weinstein
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Beantown Kman
Another thank you for all you have posted about this. Was your car ever driven by anyone else that could have contributed to the problem?
25 miles on it at delivery, and only left at the dealer once for an oil change at 1100 miles. Neglected to check the in/out miles for that visit (not yet that paranoid)
Old 04-26-2017, 12:50 AM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,301 Likes on 604 Posts

This is the truly scary part, as is the failure mode analysis (impact you don't remember > subsequent failure with unknown period between). And the mileage on your car wasn't high.

Still, there are a lot of cars out there running with no problem at all. So it seems to be a freak occurrence, or near freak occurrence—but it would be wonderful to understand this better. We may never get there, but your work and the work of others has shed some invaluable light on the incident with your car. Good to hear the piece is made of super strong material, still wondering whether the analysis company can tell us more, politely and off the record (is it brittle? is it a good use of said material? etc) in its opinion. Wonder if the first impact even happened in some aspect of the shipping/delivery.
Old 04-26-2017, 07:51 AM
bretster
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by stout
Wonder if the first impact even happened in some aspect of the shipping/delivery.
Aren't the cars driven on and off the RO-RO vessels? In my shipping experiences, while complaining about the cost of some crates, an export packer once told me, "A stevedore could tear up a bowling ball with a cigarette paper."

Quick Reply: strut tower failure