Sponsored by: APR

Best Track Times in a GT4

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2019, 08:16 PM
sdillon
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 48 Posts
Default Utah Motorsports Campus, East Config - Tooele, UT

1:46.36 on the East config. Again, not sure if it's a great time or not, but it seemed to be fairly close to what the GT3RSs were running that day.
The usual bits for alignment - camber plates, toe links, etc.
Hoosier R7 on 19" Forgeline wheels
Cargraphics headers, plenum, throttle body, tune from BGB
Carbon canards and gurney flap from Dundon
Ferodo DS 1.11 pads

Old 05-09-2019, 10:01 AM
asamhall
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

1:15:10 NJMP Lightning
Track alignment, Toe Links
19" Bridgestone RE-71R
Ferrado DS1.11 SRF Fluid
Stock Engine

Old 05-20-2019, 09:02 PM
sdillon
Rennlist Member

1:49.9 at The Ridge Motorsports Park in Shelton, Washington.
Hoosier R7, track alignment bits, Cargraphics headers, Ferodo DS 1.11
Old 05-20-2019, 09:19 PM
pkh
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 21 Posts

Nice @sdillon !

Man I wish this thread was still updated, might make me stop from selling my GT4!
Old 05-20-2019, 10:42 PM
sdillon
Rennlist Member

That's the only way I'll ever catch you @pkh is if you stop trying 😀
Old 05-21-2019, 03:39 AM
pkh
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by sdillon
That's the only way I'll ever catch you @pkh is if you stop trying 😀
Ha that’s kind of you - cheers mate
Old 05-21-2019, 09:11 AM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Received 1,457 Likes on 909 Posts

I haven't posted anything in this thread since it was created as I was a bit ashamed of our tracks (yeah, I know we are crazy) and not sure you guys would be interested in PB times in Puerto Rico.
But here it goes in case any other PR GT4 decides to post in the future....
Salinas International Raceway - Salinas, Puerto Rico
Personal Best on April 13, 2019 - 1:04.96
Mods: Cargraphics Race Headers, GT3 Exhaust conversion, COBB AP, IPD/TB, DSC, Tarret Camber plates + shims, TPC rear toe links, PFC 11 F+R, Castrol SRF, Braided lInes, Forgelines GA1R 19x9/19x11, Pirelli DH Scrubs 275 + 305

The following 2 users liked this post by jmartpr:
burnergt4 (02-16-2020), phefner (11-18-2019)
Old 05-22-2019, 08:50 PM
CrazyFast
Advanced

Watkins Glen: 2:07.6 on RE-71R’s with track alignment / suspension upgrades. First time back to the Glen since last year doing 2:15’s, so quite happy about the improvement. Will see if I can get a video uploaded as well.

Old 05-22-2019, 10:02 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 940 Likes on 544 Posts

Nicely done, that is a monumental track and a crazy fast time on streets. I bow down to you sir.
Old 05-23-2019, 12:32 PM
CrazyFast
Advanced

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
Nicely done, that is a monumental track and a crazy fast time on streets. I bow down to you sir.
Thanks Jacy! That's quite a compliment, coming from such a great driver. Here's the VBOX video. Interestingly, there was only a .03 second difference between this and Harry's. Good to see they're coming out close.

Old 05-24-2019, 08:47 AM
kfmcmahon
Three Wheelin'

Received 110 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake

+1
well done!

i am curious as to how you shaved 8 seconds from last years time the next event out?

also, looks like a time trial with no other cars on track👍🏻👍🏻
Old 05-24-2019, 12:03 PM
CrazyFast
Advanced

Originally Posted by kfmcmahon
+1
well done!

i am curious as to how you shaved 8 seconds from last years time the next event out?

also, looks like a time trial with no other cars on track👍🏻👍🏻
Thanks! The event was with TrackMasters (WGI specific), where you get 4.5 hours of track time each day, in 5 on-track sessions. You can time your outings to be on track with more or fewer cars because of the long duration. Would highly recommend them if taking a trip out to the Glen.

So this was my first time back to the Glen since last year, but I've done a bunch of driving and work since then. Specifically:
1) Significant improvement in car control: If you watch the video I'm trying to keep the car at the limit throughout. This is especially apparent in the carousel and the toe, where I'm throttle steering to rotate the car. I went to the Porsche School, as well as Bertil Roos, and am now racing in their series, which really helps with car control.

2) Simulator prep: Before the event, I did a few sessions on my sim, in a GT3 Cup Car, running 1:55's. While that's not super fast for a Cup Car, when I got on the track in the GT4, it felt pretty slow.

3) Qualifying training: My times for the event by session were something like: 2:12, 2:10, 2:09, 2:08, 2:07. So, I was progressively finding time every session. VERY deliberate analysis and testing to improve. Then, during this session, I did a 2:07.95, cooled the tires with a 2:13, and took a run going into the front straight to try to get the lap moving. Really trying to find a "flyer" and get as much as I could out of the car.

On the equipment side, I did get a track alignment and stiffer springs, which AFAIK really only affect tire wear. Maybe the springs helps with turn-in and responsiveness, but shouldn't be any free speed. The tires are actually the same tires from last year, just 7 months and a few events older. It was kind of a perfect dry day, with a rubbered-in track, and relatively cool weather so maybe that helped as well.
Old 05-24-2019, 02:11 PM
Errsomeone
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by CrazyFast
Thanks! The event was with TrackMasters (WGI specific), where you get 4.5 hours of track time each day, in 5 on-track sessions. You can time your outings to be on track with more or fewer cars because of the long duration. Would highly recommend them if taking a trip out to the Glen.

So this was my first time back to the Glen since last year, but I've done a bunch of driving and work since then. Specifically:
1) Significant improvement in car control: If you watch the video I'm trying to keep the car at the limit throughout. This is especially apparent in the carousel and the toe, where I'm throttle steering to rotate the car. I went to the Porsche School, as well as Bertil Roos, and am now racing in their series, which really helps with car control.

2) Simulator prep: Before the event, I did a few sessions on my sim, in a GT3 Cup Car, running 1:55's. While that's not super fast for a Cup Car, when I got on the track in the GT4, it felt pretty slow.

3) Qualifying training: My times for the event by session were something like: 2:12, 2:10, 2:09, 2:08, 2:07. So, I was progressively finding time every session. VERY deliberate analysis and testing to improve. Then, during this session, I did a 2:07.95, cooled the tires with a 2:13, and took a run going into the front straight to try to get the lap moving. Really trying to find a "flyer" and get as much as I could out of the car.

On the equipment side, I did get a track alignment and stiffer springs, which AFAIK really only affect tire wear. Maybe the springs helps with turn-in and responsiveness, but shouldn't be any free speed. The tires are actually the same tires from last year, just 7 months and a few events older. It was kind of a perfect dry day, with a rubbered-in track, and relatively cool weather so maybe that helped as well.
Congratulations on taking such a deliberate approach toward development. I am appreciative of your sharing the video as it is nice to see some of the differences as it offers a few things that I have been debating before when I am back at the Glen next month. So far I have only been there a couple times so I do not know it like the locals and have been in the 2:09-2:10 range in my GT4 on RE71Rs (otherwise stock with alignment).

Would you perhaps be willing to share your .VBO Racelogic file so I may overlay with my prior year's data as I get ready for the next event?

Thank you
Old 05-24-2019, 04:45 PM
G12R
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by sdillon
1:49.9 at The Ridge Motorsports Park in Shelton, Washington.
Hoosier R7, track alignment bits, Cargraphics headers, Ferodo DS 1.11
https://youtu.be/KaMKfpko2oY
Nice lap, seriously quick. It's Grant from check-in volunteering -- you car sounded amazing down the front straight all weekend, great to see it from the inside.
Old 05-26-2019, 10:45 PM
CrazyFast
Advanced

Originally Posted by Errsomeone
Congratulations on taking such a deliberate approach toward development. I am appreciative of your sharing the video as it is nice to see some of the differences as it offers a few things that I have been debating before when I am back at the Glen next month. So far I have only been there a couple times so I do not know it like the locals and have been in the 2:09-2:10 range in my GT4 on RE71Rs (otherwise stock with alignment).

Would you perhaps be willing to share your .VBO Racelogic file so I may overlay with my prior year's data as I get ready for the next event?

Thank you
Happy to share. PM’d

Quick Reply: Best Track Times in a GT4