Sponsored by: APR

Porsche: If you want LWB, you cannot have the car

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2015, 12:56 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by PistolPete
Correct, the seat on the right is the 2nd Generation bucket with the folding back. The first generation was the "cobra head" seats found in the 996 GT3.

Anyway, it seems that there were passenger weight requirements for the airbag sensor in the USA that required changes to the seat. This is what I've read in other sections of this forum. So rather than re-certify the old seat with new sensors, Porsche just went ahead with certification of the new seat.
Sounds correct.... I think I also remember that this newer seat has an electrical height adjust to allow for correct alignment for the air bag deployment ?
Old 06-04-2015, 02:23 AM
FCH80
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Crazy Eddie
From what I gathered I thought the seat on the far right is the old seat version that actually allows rear access and folds forward ? I didn't think that seat was being made anymore ? But that is pure speculation on my part ??
Hi Eddie

its still being made as you can option it on the GT3 RS, on the Carrera GTS and even on the base cayman in some countries!
Old 06-04-2015, 02:34 AM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FCH80
Hi Eddie

its still being made as you can option it on the GT3 RS, on the Carrera GTS and even on the base cayman in some countries!
They dont have to abide by the same DOT standards (is my guess ) ?
Old 06-05-2015, 08:08 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

They dont have to abide by the same DOT standards (is my guess ) ?
Correct. Only USA can you no longer have this seat. A real shame too as IMO the Cayman needs the folding seat even more than a GT3. If you spend time with Caman you will know the only other option to store your bag and helmet it to walk to back of car and flip the lid etc...
Old 06-05-2015, 12:48 PM
Da Hapa
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Correct. Only USA can you no longer have this seat. A real shame too as IMO the Cayman needs the folding seat even more than a GT3. If you spend time with Caman you will know the only other option to store your bag and helmet it to walk to back of car and flip the lid etc...
Sadly the same bureaucratic nonsense which precludes us from getting the best (and safest) lighting technology, as well as some of the cool, limited edition cars sold elsewhere are protecting ourselves from ourselves by not allowing those seats to be sold here.

Boo.
Old 06-06-2015, 12:51 PM
PeteyDaddy
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I was able to sit in the Spyder with LWB's and get a feel for the GT4 interior (not that it's much different the a standard cayman) the seats are ok- look cool in the Spyder. I just don't think they live up to the hype. Not sure they're worth the wait/$$.

Old 06-06-2015, 01:10 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

They do look nice, no doubt about it !!!
That car is going to be one sweet ride for sure...
Is it me or does the back of the new Spyder look more rounded? (not liking it so much it looks different than the earlier model ? )
Old 06-06-2015, 02:31 PM
mgerber
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Porsche: If you want LWB, you cannot have the car

Interesting data point. I counted thirteen 991 GT3s at Porsche Day in Redmond WA today. Only 3 had LWBs. Less than a 25% attach rate for this little sample group. If it represents anything close to reality I suspect it confirms what we are speculating: PAG was forecasting a much lower attach rate for the LWB option for the GT4. Probably not much of a surprise to any of us...
Old 06-06-2015, 03:39 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,377 Likes on 836 Posts

Originally Posted by mgerber
Interesting data point. I counted thirteen 991 GT3s at Porsche Day in Redmond WA today. Only 3 had LWBs. Less than a 25% attach rate for this little sample group. If it represents anything close to reality I suspect it confirms what we are speculating: PAG was forecasting a much lower attach rate for the LWB option for the GT4. Probably not much of a surprise to any of us...
How many were 14 and 15 of those? There always is a way to skew numbers and imply a meaning. Remember that figures don't lie.
Old 06-06-2015, 03:59 PM
il pirata
Banned

Received 166 Likes on 104 Posts

They do look nice, no doubt about it !!!
That car is going to be one sweet ride for sure...
Is it me or does the back of the new Spyder look more rounded? (not liking it so much it looks different than the earlier model ? )
To me the new Spyder looks more angular, the older one more round…although I have yet to see the new one in person.
Old 06-06-2015, 04:03 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

I was only referring to the very last part of the rear end ???
Old 06-06-2015, 04:47 PM
n4v4nod
Rennlist Member

Received 1,718 Likes on 942 Posts

I was only referring to the very last part of the rear end ???
I think it's the angle and lighting of the photo. The rear bumper is the exact same as the GT4 and I'm sure all the rest of the 981 line. Just the lower valence/diffuser vary between each model.
Old 06-06-2015, 04:54 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by mgerber
Not a fair assessment. Lwb were not available until November 2015 builds on the GT3. Only the last few months of production had them available. Not even an option for 2014 and early 2015 Gt3s
Old 06-06-2015, 05:09 PM
mgerber
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Not a fair assessment. Lwb were not available until November 2015 builds on the GT3. Only the last few months of production had them available. Not even an option for 2014 and early 2015 Gt3s
Originally Posted by ExMB
How many were 14 and 15 of those? There always is a way to skew numbers and imply a meaning. Remember that figures don't lie.
Good point guys. I was not aware that the LWBs were not available for the full production run. My bad assumption.
Old 06-07-2015, 12:59 AM
PeteyDaddy
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'll take sofas

Quick Reply: Porsche: If you want LWB, you cannot have the car