GT4/Spyder Discussions about the 981 GT4/Spyder
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

Porsche: If you want LWB, you cannot have the car

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2015 | 09:52 AM
khooni
Burning Brakes

probably due to the fact that ROW has clubsport pack, which cost more than the bucket seats as an option, this needs the buckets to pass through the harnesses.

i know u U.S folks care about the porsche buckets but i would just go for a pair of recaro spa seats and throw in a harness bar + harnesses and take it on track. It won't be as stiff (as clubsport) nor will it be factory but you arguably have a better fit (if you are slim built). and cheaper to boot.

dun pass up a car because of this. what if you miss out?
Old 05-31-2015 | 11:14 AM
drdonger
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by khooni
probably due to the fact that ROW has clubsport pack, which cost more than the bucket seats as an option, this needs the buckets to pass through the harnesses.

i know u U.S folks care about the porsche buckets but i would just go for a pair of recaro spa seats and throw in a harness bar + harnesses and take it on track. It won't be as stiff (as clubsport) nor will it be factory but you arguably have a better fit (if you are slim built). and cheaper to boot.

dun pass up a car because of this. what if you miss out?

For me it makes or breaks the whole look of the interior. The car looks silly with standard seats and door pulls imo. I would never get an GT3 RS spec'd without LWB seats. For track guys safety is important and some people don't want to deal with swapping out seats every track day. If I am going to spend over 100k on a car, I would like to get it exactly how I want. I am delayed til Nov/Dec delivery now still at v200 with LWB. If somehow I cannot get LWB seats I will pass on the allocation and continue looking for a GT3 with LWB's.
Old 05-31-2015 | 11:33 AM
katmeho
Pro

Originally Posted by drdonger
For me it makes or breaks the whole look of the interior. The car looks silly with standard seats and door pulls imo. I would never get an GT3 RS spec'd without LWB seats. For track guys safety is important and some people don't want to deal with swapping out seats every track day. If I am going to spend over 100k on a car, I would like to get it exactly how I want. I am delayed til Nov/Dec delivery now still at v200 with LWB. If somehow I cannot get LWB seats I will pass on the allocation and continue looking for a GT3 with LWB's.
It's nice to have the option of another $50k in your pocket isn't it!?!?!

I'd love to see what this thread would be like is the lwbs were not even offered on the GT4. How 'ruined' would it be then? I bet everyone would be running around and pounding on suncoast for their "upgrade"? If there was only one seat, no options (like we have with the manual gearbox) and AP said the car was still perfect or if that Monkey talked about how great the interior of his press car with 18 ways was on the track then a lot (not all) of you would have a different tune.

But then again, there's all this talk about the looks of this car. That's the most important part...keep telling yourself that.
Old 05-31-2015 | 11:48 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by katmeho
It's nice to have the option of another $50k in your pocket isn't it!?!?!

I'd love to see what this thread would be like is the lwbs were not even offered on the GT4. How 'ruined' would it be then? I bet everyone would be running around and pounding on suncoast for their "upgrade"? If there was only one seat, no options (like we have with the manual gearbox) and AP said the car was still perfect or if that Monkey talked about how great the interior of his press car with 18 ways was on the track then a lot (not all) of you would have a different tune.

But then again, there's all this talk about the looks of this car. That's the most important part...keep telling yourself that.
Yup. It would be ruined if the seats weren't offered as an optioned. You weren't around when that scenario occurred with the GT3. People were all up in arms about it. Including me.

You don't get it. For some people this is an extremely important option. There is NO other oem seat out there that offers the ability to run a 6 POINT harness (shoulder AND anti sub pass throughs) with airbags from the factory. Someone please prove me otherwise.
Old 05-31-2015 | 01:11 PM
FrstPorsche
Rennlist Member

I love all this bitching and whining over LWBs. Is it disappointing to be delayed or not get them? Sure it is but I'm not passing on the car. If you don't want the car without buckets then move on, someone else will. Please stop your complaining, although this is the internet. Sometimes I think the all the internet is good for is bitching about stuff and ****. I'll drive the crap out of this car for a couple years with the sofa seats and move on. End of rant
Old 05-31-2015 | 01:21 PM
cbdoc
Instructor

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Yup. It would be ruined if the seats weren't offered as an optioned. You weren't around when that scenario occurred with the GT3. People were all up in arms about it. Including me.

You don't get it. For some people this is an extremely important option. There is NO other oem seat out there that offers the ability to run a 6 POINT harness (shoulder AND anti sub pass throughs) with airbags from the factory. Someone please prove me otherwise.
You can just buy the seats when they become available or if you want the seat now, you can buy the GT2 seats which work with the airbags and support a harness.
Old 05-31-2015 | 01:36 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cbdoc
You can just buy the seats when they become available or if you want the seat now, you can buy the GT2 seats which work with the airbags and support a harness.
1) What price do you expect they will go for, realistically?
2) GT2 seats, yes and no, per discussions and limitations posted on RL.
Old 05-31-2015 | 01:40 PM
cbdoc
Instructor

Originally Posted by ExMB
1) What price do you expect they will go for, realistically?
2) GT2 seats, yes and no, per discussions and limitations posted on RL.
The GT2 seats run $7k, so right around there. Depending on your relationship with dealer you can probably get a significant discount. Either way they will cost more than the option, but not so much more that I would risk losing an allocation. My 2 cents.
Old 05-31-2015 | 02:41 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

The GT2 seats run $7k, so right around there. Depending on your relationship with dealer you can probably get a significant discount. Either way they will cost more than the option, but not so much more that I would risk losing an allocation. My 2 cents.
I believe that is a used price for those GT2 seats.

New from suncoast.

I think I read on here that the expectation for the new 918 style ones is in the $11k - $12k. Everybody is still guessing since they haven't been released for parts yet.
Old 05-31-2015 | 02:45 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

1) The GT2 seats used to cost $7k. They cost $9k now. If you can get them. They will fit in the GT4, but you WILL trigger the airbag light because the passenger side seat occupancy detector is NOT compatible with the 981/991
2) If you think the new LWB will cost the same $9k as the GT2 seats, you are in for a rude awakening. It will be much higher.
3) If you think you can get the LWB from tequipment anytime within the next year or ever, you are in for a rude awakening as well. Think about how difficult it has been to even get the seats optioned from the factory. Porsche said they would make iron replacement rotors available in 410mm size for those with PCCB that want to swap out for track. That never materialized or happened.

If you don't get a car with LWB from the factory, DO NOT count on being able to retrofit later. It will be possible eventually through various means, but it will not be easy or cheap to pull off. This isn't my first bucket seat rodeo. It will be my third. Spyder (retrofitted), GT3 (changed allocations THREE times to get buckets), and now GT4. It hasn't been an easy ride every time.

Last edited by orthojoe; 05-31-2015 at 03:10 PM.
Old 05-31-2015 | 02:53 PM
PistolPete
Drifting

Thanks for laying out the facts with retrofitting the seats orthojoe.

I'll have a hard choice to make with the seats if/when my number gets called! Has anyone in the US received build dates for early 2016 yet?
Old 05-31-2015 | 02:57 PM
gmaki
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by PistolPete
Thanks for laying out the facts with retrofitting the seats orthojoe.

I'll have a hard choice to make with the seats if/when my number gets called! Has anyone in the US received build dates for early 2016 yet?
I posted a little up but my dealer told me he has a customer with an early 2016 delivery date with confirmed LWB. My allocation is a September delivery date and no LWB.

Oddly, he tells me his other customer got the very first allocation, and that my car was an "award" given to them later. Why my delivery is earlier than the other guys I can't really explain.

My dealer is trying to orchestrate a trade between me and the other customer and I have decided I will accept the trade if he will. I'd rather wait and get LWB. But if he won't I will still take my allocation with 18 ways.
Old 05-31-2015 | 03:08 PM
PistolPete
Drifting

I saw that post gmaki and saw the 2016 delivery date but I assumed the car will be built in late Q4 of 2015. I'm trying to guess if there will be US allocated builds in Q1 of 2016 and if my dealer thinks they'll get one.

I wish you luck in your quest to trade for the seats! I'll also take the car with the manual seats if the LWB gets rejected (I have a Sept. slot). Hopefully all will be forgotten once I get in the car but right now this is a hard thing to stomach.

Since these seats are standard with the GT3-RS, I'm sure they will get first priority for them.
Old 05-31-2015 | 03:15 PM
acey81
Racer

The problem isn't just the seats. If I can't get LWB I also can't get the Clubsport package. The aftermarket alternatives are far more expensive than getting the stuff from factory, and will also negatively affect the cars value come resale time. I think some bitching is in order!
Old 05-31-2015 | 03:15 PM
gmaki
Burning Brakes

Yeah I didn't think about that but of course you are right, it would be a late 2015 build. I've done a lot of reading here and on other forums and I agree I think the reason the seats were cutoff is that they are all going to GT3RS production which makes sense. If I was buying a GT3RS I would absolutely expect to given priority for the seats.

I just hope they are honoring the earlier LWB's that they accepted and that if I make this change and modify the build it won't kick the seats out... wouldn't that suck for me? lol.

Of course this only applies if Mr other customer wants the earlier allocation.

Quick Reply: Porsche: If you want LWB, you cannot have the car