Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

981.2 GT4

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2016, 08:11 PM
Warwick Morris
Pro

Received 238 Likes on 119 Posts

I agree with the turbo 4 thesis. It makes sense to have all the smaller sports cars a 4's and save the 6's for the 911 which keeps the model differentiation clear into the future. So, more power, probably PDK or manual and a concentration on light weight (obviously the 4 weighs in less than the 3.8) but more aluminium (or carbon) panels and thinner glass.
Old 12-20-2016, 09:15 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by ajw45
Sorry, I didn't mean that literally, I understand the GT3 engine is very different but it's also more than twice the cost of a standard 3.8. If you start with the GT3 engine, detune it for less power, and also do some cost cutting to make it fit a GT4 price point what kind of powerplant are you left with? I would guess that detuning and cost cutting would drop the redline to 8k rpm, drop the finger follower design, cheaper crank, no dry sump, etc. at which point we might be left with something architecturally different but functionally similar to the X51 3.8.
I see what you are saying now. Get me that sound, power delivery, higher rpms from the GT3 engine and you've got me hook line and sinker
Old 12-20-2016, 09:36 PM
A432
Rennlist Member

Received 379 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
My personal guess is turbo 4, but I don't think the oil tank would be a reason to forego the GT3-style motor. I think it could be relocated almost anywhere in the car (including the front trunk area like early 911 race cars).
Originally Posted by sunnyr
I think they would be subverting the whole 718 "4 cylinder turbo" is awesome message if the next GT4 goes back to a 6 cyl NA.
Originally Posted by MayorAdamWest
This is going to be a curious car. I would have guessed a turbo 4, because why spend all this time trying to convince non-GT buyers that the turbo cars are great, and then ignore them in your flagship cars for each model? (Like sunnyr says).

There is also another bit of data that I'm curious about. The existing GT4 isn't that much more money than a well configured 718S or 981GTS. If you put a detuned GT3 motor in it, is it really in the same price class anymore? My favorite thing about the GT4 is that it's affordable by Porsche standards. I really hope they can keep it under 100k, but I don't think that'll be the case if it has a NA 3.8L.

All that said, my hope is for a Turbo-4 PDK GT4 that can be acquired for ~100k. I'd buy 3.
Originally Posted by Warwick Morris
I agree with the turbo 4 thesis. It makes sense to have all the smaller sports cars a 4's and save the 6's for the 911 which keeps the model differentiation clear into the future. So, more power, probably PDK or manual and a concentration on light weight (obviously the 4 weighs in less than the 3.8) but more aluminium (or carbon) panels and thinner glass.
Preuninger was quoted when asked about the next GT4 "the next Cayman doesn't have to be all 4 cylinders" ie. they're planning a 6

He's also said when asked about the next GT4 "it's about driving pleasure, not outright power or speed" which is how he's referred to NA GT's before.
Old 12-20-2016, 09:40 PM
Ferrarisimo
Burning Brakes

Received 98 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by A432
Preuninger was quoted when asked about the next GT4 "the next Cayman doesn't have to be all 4 cylinders" ie. they're planning a 6

He's also said when asked about the next GT4 "it's about driving pleasure, not outright power or speed" which is how he's referred to NA GT's before.
Porsche is on record three times as saying that the 981.2 (or whatever the chassis designation is) GT4 will be naturally aspirated. They have the right to change their minds, but all this speculation about a turbo 4 is being done in the face of repeated official statements to the contrary.
Old 12-20-2016, 09:44 PM
A432
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ferrarisimo
Porsche is on record three times as saying that the 981.2 (or whatever the chassis designation is) GT4 will be naturally aspirated. They have the right to change their minds, but all this speculation about a turbo 4 is being done in the face of repeated official statements to the contrary.
Right, that is my point.

It is a 718 (marketing) or 982 internally. No 981.2, that is a Rennlist'ism
Old 12-20-2016, 09:56 PM
Bardman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by A432

More AP doublespeak. We like to interpret what he says, but we often get it wrong (GT4 street car will have PDK, GT4 385HP is underrated etc). Whilst I very much hope the next gen GT4 is NA, I wont take much comfort from vague statements made by AP.
Old 12-20-2016, 09:57 PM
Bardman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Source? I have seen no official statement on this anywhere.
Old 12-20-2016, 10:00 PM
AfricanHunter
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Screw the price

Originally Posted by MayorAdamWest
This is going to be a curious car. I would have guessed a turbo 4, because why spend all this time trying to convince non-GT buyers that the turbo cars are great, and then ignore them in your flagship cars for each model? (Like sunnyr says).

There is also another bit of data that I'm curious about. The existing GT4 isn't that much more money than a well configured 718S or 981GTS. If you put a detuned GT3 motor in it, is it really in the same price class anymore? My favorite thing about the GT4 is that it's affordable by Porsche standards. I really hope they can keep it under 100k, but I don't think that'll be the case if it has a NA 3.8L.

All that said, my hope is for a Turbo-4 PDK GT4 that can be acquired for ~100k. I'd buy 3.
while the GT4 price results in tons of car for money, I would much rather have a gt4 at 120k base(with gt3 motor/etc) and then have a gt3RS equivalent model in Cayman chassis at 190k base. Customers can pick 911 or midengine, just preference. Forget the hierarchy, people either prefer 911 or not. Plus Porsche basically admitted mid engine is better on the 911RSR racecar for this season.

I am really excited about the 960. I just want it to be available in manual.
Old 12-20-2016, 10:02 PM
A432
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bardman
More AP doublespeak. We like to interpret what he says, but we often get it wrong (GT4 street car will have PDK, GT4 385HP is underrated etc). Whilst I very much hope the next gen GT4 is NA, I wont take much comfort from vague statements made by AP.
Mine is also from a couple GM's who also race Clubsports with company backing.

But like I said in the beginning, rumors and guessing, not sure why people get worked up over it.
Old 12-20-2016, 10:38 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,454 Likes on 758 Posts

Originally Posted by AfricanHunter
while the GT4 price results in tons of car for money, I would much rather have a gt4 at 120k base(with gt3 motor/etc) and then have a gt3RS equivalent model in Cayman chassis at 190k base. Customers can pick 911 or midengine, just preference. Forget the hierarchy, people either prefer 911 or not. Plus Porsche basically admitted mid engine is better on the 911RSR racecar for this season.

I am really excited about the 960. I just want it to be available in manual.
Agree above and do prefer midengine

But I heard the 960 has been shelved for the time being
Old 12-20-2016, 10:38 PM
Ferrarisimo
Burning Brakes

Received 98 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Bardman
Source? I have seen no official statement on this anywhere.
1. Here's a summary of a talk that Porsche GT boss Andreas Preuninger gave at Rennsport V in September of 2015 (by well-connected RLer Eduardo) where he talks about retaining NA engines in the GT3 and GT4 cars "for the foreseeable future".
https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...reuninger.html

2. Here's an interview with Preuninger from March 2016 where he strongly hints at a NA 718 GT4:
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/porsche...lat-six-engine

3. And here's an interview with August Achleitner, a Porsche exec, from July 2016 where he confirms a NA 718 GT4:
http://www.drive.com.au/motor-news/p...19-gq9c92.html
Old 12-20-2016, 10:50 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,555 Likes on 5,072 Posts

1. Here's a summary of a talk that Porsche GT boss Andreas Preuninger gave at Rennsport V in September of 2015 (by well-connected RLer Eduardo) where he talks about retaining NA engines in the GT3 and GT4 cars "for the foreseeable future".
https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...reuninger.html

2. Here's an interview with Preuninger from March 2016 where he strongly hints at a NA 718 GT4:
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/porsche...lat-six-engine

3. And here's an interview with August Achleitner, a Porsche exec, from July 2016 where he confirms a NA 718 GT4:
Sorry, but those are not official statements.
Old 12-20-2016, 10:52 PM
supercup
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 50 Posts

Had not seen this before - seems to give hope to a next generation GT4 and with the performance of the 911 enhanced with their new turbo motors, maybe there will be room for the GT4 to come from the factory with X51 package as an option! Would be nice to have this right from the factory!
Old 12-20-2016, 11:17 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

I don't know why some people are getting riled up at the possibility of the next GT4 staying NA. It's not like any GT3 in the past has shared an engine with the regular 911. Why does the GT4 have to share an engine with the cayman?

Those that bought the car thinking it would be some 'keeper' collector because it is the last NA and manual are going to be in for a rude awakening.
Old 12-20-2016, 11:56 PM
MayorAdamWest
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
I don't know why some people are getting riled up at the possibility of the next GT4 staying NA. It's not like any GT3 in the past has shared an engine with the regular 911. Why does the GT4 have to share an engine with the cayman?

Those that bought the car thinking it would be some 'keeper' collector because it is the last NA and manual are going to be in for a rude awakening.
the only thing I care about is the price target. My concern is that they'll raise the price considerably given the demand for the current one. Personally, I don't care which engine it has. I'm sure they'll make it great with whatever they choose.

Quick Reply: 981.2 GT4