Sponsored by: APR

GT4 G81 Transmission Failure

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2017, 03:50 AM
Yargk
Rennlist Member

Received 232 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by needmoregarage
but what's especially troubling is the multiple failures some are experiencing, and knowing that the replacement transmission is no better than the original. It probably means at some point they are all doomed to fail (which is very unsettling).
I only have heard of one on rennlist that had a second failure and his box was replaced for the first time last year. I'd be very interested to hear the details of others who had a second failure.

I'm hoping that at some point Porsche realized they need to fix a specific part and that the transmissions replaced this year have an update. No way to tell until the ones replaced this year fail or have done 20+ track days without a failure.
Old 06-06-2017, 09:01 AM
mecho
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by needmoregarage
You continue to track/drive your car without third gear???
No, had the box replaced with a quick turnaround. I did drive the car home from the track though (100 miles).
Old 06-06-2017, 10:24 AM
d00d
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by Yargk
I only have heard of one on rennlist that had a second failure and his box was replaced for the first time last year. I'd be very interested to hear the details of others who had a second failure.

I'm hoping that at some point Porsche realized they need to fix a specific part and that the transmissions replaced this year have an update. No way to tell until the ones replaced this year fail or have done 20+ track days without a failure.
Good point, we don't know if the newer replacements have a proper splined 3rd.
I don't think anyone cares if there's any loose metal from the break circulating during the drive home, as the whole thing is replaced.

Update:
Take GTGears advice and flatbed it home instead.

Last edited by d00d; 06-09-2017 at 07:22 AM.
Old 06-06-2017, 02:27 PM
Mgkuehn
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Both failures were with the gear engaged. In both cases: 4th to 3rd shift, turn in, back on gas, lift, light brake, turn in, squeeze peddle, third gear gone.

GREAT NEWS!!
Just got off the phone with Porsche of Annapolis.
THERE HAS BEEN A CHANGE IN THE TRANSMISSION DESIGN according to Porsche Technical. Have they now gone from interference fit, to spot welds to full bead or something else?? As usual Porsche Technical did not pass along any detail. Really don't care as long as I don't need Trans #4. BTW - Porsche of Annapolis has done a great job supporting me from the time ordered the car through this third and I hope final transmission.
Old 06-06-2017, 02:29 PM
4carl
Race Car

Received 1,168 Likes on 621 Posts

is there any confirmation that in fact they were splined and changed ? From what i understand is its the standard 981 gear box. Could be that the 3.8 just over stresses 3rd gear?
Old 06-06-2017, 02:30 PM
kfmcmahon
Three Wheelin'

Received 110 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Mgkuehn
Both failures were with the gear engaged. In both cases: 4th to 3rd shift, turn in, back on gas, lift, light brake, turn in, squeeze peddle, third gear gone.

GREAT NEWS!!
THERE HAS BEEN A CHANGE IN THE TRANSMISSION DESIGN according to Porsche Technical. Have they now gone from interference fit, to spot welds to full bead or something else?? As usual Porsche Technical did not pass along any detail. Really don't care as long as I don't need Trans #4. BTW - Porsche of Annapolis has done a great job supporting me from the time ordered the car through this third and I hope final transmission.
starting when? after the last Gt4's built or during the run?
Old 06-06-2017, 04:36 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Old 06-06-2017, 04:40 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

I don't think any design change. I'll try and dig deeper. A source told me it could be changed with no one knowing. One of those mysteries of life. There would be not part change notification due to internals not being on PET anyway. It would have to be after recent returns.

Last edited by Gofishracing; 06-06-2017 at 08:22 PM.
Old 06-08-2017, 06:44 PM
dmk2
Three Wheelin'

Received 763 Likes on 378 Posts

has a formal TSB or recall been issued?
Old 06-08-2017, 07:36 PM
Phil T
Burning Brakes

Received 104 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by dmk2
has a formal TSB or recall been issued?
Not gonna happen
Old 06-08-2017, 07:55 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

I would strongly advise against driving your cars home from the track. What has happened on most of these boxes is the ring has dislocated from the gear and has been left floating on the shaft. It's only a matter of time until one of the rings cracks and splits. Then you have 3 or 4 pieces of shrapnel floating around inside the box. Not only could that go through the shafts and destroy the whole gears (potentially voiding the warranty because you kept driving) but it is dangerous. I have seen such a failure on a racecar lock up the wheels at top speed and send the car into a pirouette into the wall, destroying the whole vehicle. Not only might you die, but I guarantee if Porsche finds out the failure happened before the accident and you kept driving their band of lawyers will make sure you don't get a cent for your car. The risk isn't worth it. You guys spend thousands per weekend to go to the track but are skipping a couple hundred dollar tow home?
Old 06-09-2017, 03:01 AM
user1029
Drifting

Received 561 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by GTgears
Not only might you die, but I guarantee if Porsche finds out the failure happened before the accident and you kept driving their band of lawyers will make sure you don't get a cent for your car.
I want to hear what the first year law student who created the failure database has to say
Old 06-09-2017, 08:43 AM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Mgkuehn

GREAT NEWS!!
Missed this yesterday. You seem to be describing the change that has caused the failures. It is the move from the splined interference fit to the welded design that is the root cause. Unless you got it backwards and they reverted to the early design they are just blowing smoke.
Old 06-09-2017, 08:44 AM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by user1029
I want to hear what the first year law student who created the failure database has to say
I don't care what he has to say about it. If you are dead he's going to be representing your estate. It's your car. Do what you want with it.
Old 06-09-2017, 01:29 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

TSB or recall maybe 4th transmission arrives today.

Quick Reply: GT4 G81 Transmission Failure