Sponsored by: APR

Gt4 awesome at COTA but sad ending :(

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2016, 01:10 PM
jphughan
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by myBailey07
It would have been a nice track if the surface at Harris Hill has not become atrocious with horrible bumps and no real fixes in sight. After torn engine mounts on my M3 and now two incidents of bent wheels on my GT4 (never going off...)I am unfortunately canceling my membership.
Bent wheels never having gone off track? I know H2R had a rough surface even when I was last there a few years back, but I can't help but think that this is at least partly an indictment of the GT4's wheels. If only they'd actually been forged.
Old 07-18-2016, 02:14 PM
myBailey07
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jphughan
Bent wheels never having gone off track? I know H2R had a rough surface even when I was last there a few years back, but I can't help but think that this is at least partly an indictment of the GT4's wheels. If only they'd actually been forged.
Long story, so in trying to not take thread completely off topic and turn into wheel debate, here's the short version.

It's more an indictment of the horrendous bumps on the track now and me being really good at breaking things ;-) than the oem wheels.

It also not two GT4 wheels, but one oem wheel and one high end forged wheel. Both were not bent in "incidents" where you are immediately aware of, but were found out when rebalanced after track events due to vibrations. So, even the forged wheel bent. This wheel is at the manufacturer for inspection and hopefully will be replaced under warranty as there is no way it should have bent, even if the surface was as bad as it is.

I think the oem wheels are fine, the problem is that if something DO happen they are ridiculously expensive. The more I think about it, I should have just gotten the OZ setup very early and treated then like consumables. I can get almost a complete set for the price of one oem wheel.
Old 07-18-2016, 02:25 PM
jslee225
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Long story, so in trying to not take thread completely off topic and turn into wheel debate, here's the short version.

It's more an indictment of the horrendous bumps on the track now and me being really good at breaking things ;-) than the oem wheels.

It also not two GT4 wheels, but one oem wheel and one high end forged wheel. Both were not bent in "incidents" where you are immediately aware of, but were found out when rebalanced after track events due to vibrations. So, even the forged wheel bent. This wheel is at the manufacturer for inspection and hopefully will be replaced under warranty as there is no way it should have bent, even if the surface was as bad as it is.

I think the oem wheels are fine, the problem is that if something DO happen they are ridiculously expensive. The more I think about it, I should have just gotten the OZ setup very early and treated then like consumables. I can get almost a complete set for the price of one oem wheel.
FWIW, for the price I like the OZ, but the only drawback is that my shop is having trouble getting the optimal track alignment due to the offsets (i.e. they can't lower the car as much as they would like to b/c of rubbing, etc.) This is unfortunately causing the rear end to "wiggle" under hard breaking (ex. turn 12 @ COTA). Haven't decided if I really want to spend ~5k on forgelines to get the optimal offsets.
Old 07-18-2016, 02:54 PM
myBailey07
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jslee225
FWIW, for the price I like the OZ, but the only drawback is that my shop is having trouble getting the optimal track alignment due to the offsets (i.e. they can't lower the car as much as they would like to b/c of rubbing, etc.) This is unfortunately causing the rear end to "wiggle" under hard breaking (ex. turn 12 @ COTA). Haven't decided if I really want to spend ~5k on forgelines to get the optimal offsets.
Huh? First I heard of this. What wheel, offset and toe do you have in the rear?

T12@cota is also pretty much as hard as you'll ever brake and your braking technique can contribute. This car can brake like crazy, but does NOT like being stood on it's nose in general
Old 07-18-2016, 04:48 PM
Pep!RRRR
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

In my experience wiggles under braking may indicate a problem with tire pressures, especially if they are too low.
Old 07-18-2016, 04:53 PM
jslee225
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Huh? First I heard of this. What wheel, offset and toe do you have in the rear?

T12@cota is also pretty much as hard as you'll ever brake and your braking technique can contribute. This car can brake like crazy, but does NOT like being stood on it's nose in general
Same wheels on tirerack for gt4. I'll have to get back to you on the toe bc I believe they messed with that last time we were at COTA.

I've tried several breaking "techniques" and they all cause the tail to move to some extent with some more than others.

Originally Posted by Pep!RRRR
In my experience wiggles under braking may indicate a problem with tire pressures, especially if they are too low.
Hmm I need to try this by increasing pressures. I'm currently at 35r/34f hot.
Old 07-19-2016, 02:51 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

True T12 is a BEAST. Lol...sat there for 2 COTA F1 races

Has annihilated many a brake setup from my numerous TX customers...some YIPES! type stories there......
Old 07-19-2016, 03:48 PM
ocgarza
Rennlist Member

Received 149 Likes on 125 Posts

Jslee225 - any update on repairs? I assume they finally got some undamaged cylinder heads.

http://youtu.be/l5KmxPMtSwY

Car was doing awesome all weekend even pulled double duty running 2 run groups by giving people rides. Not sure what happened but if you skip to 10 min you'll hear a loud fast buzzing noise appear around 7k right before I'm about to short shift to 3rd (i.e. did not shift). Then it was error code city! Found out later that some of the codes were camshaft and multiple cylinder misfire.

Good thing I was near the pits. Parked the car and shut it down and the car wouldn't start back up. Had car towed to dealer. I won't be able to sleep tonight

Any ideas what happened?
Old 07-19-2016, 04:38 PM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Received 150 Likes on 106 Posts

For those who know, any correlation between GT3 (mostly E and F engines) and GT4 engine failures? And most importantly, can any 3.4L engines be affected by that? GT3s also have oiling and DLC issues, but I'm asking about the cam issues present in both, although G (2016) GT3 engines apparently were fixed. And all GT4s are 2016, so not sure it's the same issue. I ask because all 991/981 engines supposedly belong to the same 9A1 family, so all could have the same issue, especially if tracked. After the GT3 fiasco in 2014, I couldn't believe so many 2015 engines were failing. Doesn't Porsche test engines anymore? Just hope my 2016 3.4L is not affected by that. And even though I won't track that car (no worries), I'd still like to know. Thx.
Old 07-19-2016, 04:46 PM
vantage
Three Wheelin'

Received 214 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by elp_jc
For those who know, any correlation between GT3 (mostly E and F engines) and GT4 engine failures? And most importantly, can any 3.4L engines be affected by that? GT3s also have oiling and DLC issues, but I'm asking about the cam issues present in both, although G (2016) GT3 engines apparently were fixed. And all GT4s are 2016, so not sure it's the same issue. I ask because all 991/981 engines supposedly belong to the same 9A1 family, so all could have the same issue, especially if tracked. After the GT3 fiasco in 2014, I couldn't believe so many 2015 engines were failing. Doesn't Porsche test engines anymore? Just hope my 2016 3.4L is not affected by that. And even though I won't track that car (no worries), I'd still like to know. Thx.
Different cams, different oiling system, different oiling needs (9k rpm motor vs. 7800 rpm motor).
Old 07-19-2016, 07:31 PM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Received 395 Likes on 285 Posts

Many differences including materials (titanium rods). Keep in mind the GT3 engine was new for model year 2014. The 3.4l 9A1 was introduced in model year 09. Many more of those engines and also the larger Carrera engines built and driven with relatively few problems reported including track use. IMO no reason to be concerned about a 2016 3.4.

The current GT3 issues with the 2014 E and 2015 F motors seems to be insufficient oil supply to the heads resulting in cam/ follower wear. Although maybe some problems with coatings too? The 2 GT4 failures I've heard of were the bolts attaching the Variocam cam gear. Not sure the root cause but sounds like much different issues.
Old 07-19-2016, 07:36 PM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

It's been covered multiple times in this thread - No.

9A1 engines (introduced in 2009) have generally been bulletproof even with extensive track usage. Yes, some 991 GT3 engines failed but that's a different engine. 9A1-based but different. Besides, underneath all the hysteria only few GT3 engines actually failed.

Last edited by the_vetman; 07-26-2016 at 07:48 PM.
Old 07-20-2016, 02:43 PM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Received 150 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by zedcat
The 2 GT4 failures I've heard of were the bolts attaching the Variocam cam gear.
That sounds like an easy problem to solve... and probably just a manufacturing defect (built on a Friday. He he). Thank you very much for all the responses, and the explanation of differences among 9A1 engines. Much appreciated. Good to hear there's nothing to worry about with 3.4L engines. But there're more than 'a few' GT3 engine failures; just read the 60+ page thread about that over the 991 GT3 section, if in doubt. But as mentioned, that was mostly for oiling issues wearing followers. And on that note, I thought our DOHC engines didn't have any followers/rockers, especially since GT3 engines have a 9K-rpm limit. What happened to cams actuating directly over the valves (via buckets)? That design could be part of the problem, but the good news is our 7,800-rpm engines are not affected. Have a great afternoon gang.
Old 07-20-2016, 02:51 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 955 Likes on 552 Posts

Originally Posted by the_vetman
It's been covered multiple times in this thread - NO.

9A1 engines (introduced in 2009) have generally been bulletproof even with extensive track usage. Yes, some 991 GT3 engines failed but that's a different engine. 9A1-based but different. Besides, underneath all the hysteria only few GT3 engines actually failed.
It's more than a few...I've personally witnessesed 5 fail at COTA alone in the last 3 years. While not hysteria, your taking a calculated risk in thinking it's not an issue.

per the engine in the GT4, there have been more miles put on the design, but it is by no means bulletproof either - though it seems more of an assembly quality issue than design issue (like the GT3 suffers from).
Old 07-21-2016, 12:03 AM
jphughan
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I've tried several breaking "techniques" and they all cause the tail to move to some extent with some more than others.

Hmm I need to try this by increasing pressures. I'm currently at 35r/34f hot.
On the Cup 2s I've been shooting for 36 hot all around according to TPMS, which usually puts me around 35 hot according to my gauge immediately after the cooldown half-lap. I find it makes for a good feel all session. The tires can actually take quite a while to come up to that pressure, but they feel good all the way to that point. Every time the car has started to feel loose all of a sudden out there, I've glanced down and seen at least one 38 on my TPMS readout in the rear, often from not proactively taking a bit of air out between morning and afternoon sessions to account for afternoon temperatures.

Quick Reply: Gt4 awesome at COTA but sad ending :(