Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

Gt4 awesome at COTA but sad ending :(

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2016, 10:56 AM
digitalrurouni
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Ah I wish I could track as much as you guys do so jealous...and beautiful car that LT but I think you are right maybe unwind a bit earlier.
Old 07-12-2016, 03:20 PM
trebien
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by neoprufrok
Go to 4:29 as I enter the carousel at Sonoma - if I didn't track my miata prior, I probably wouldnt' have caught that.
Out of curiosity, I assume traction control was off?

Going into the turn hot, the tires were screeching a little bit already and the exhaust noise implies the throttle was still being carried through the turn... a 4 wheel drift, before the rear started to come around a little bit. I'm also curious what was going through your mind at that point, carrying the throttle even though you were already sliding a bit... seemed a bit more than simply "maintenance" throttle, but you can describe better than I can how the chassis reacts to throttle changes in a turn.

I'm also curious, what level (if any) the traction control was active to allow this much leeway.

Please understand, and am genuinely curious as to this cars behavior on track... not judging or questioning your skill by any means.

I respect McLaren as fantastic cars... truly an amazing mix of streetable track performers... it will be interesting to see how much of this balance Porsche can work in to the 960. I have high hopes.

Old 07-13-2016, 12:49 AM
neoprufrok
Rennlist Member

Received 512 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by HelpMeHelpU
Watched the video....just curious about the almost spin....nice save, yes, but could it have been avoided by unwinding the wheel sooner? I am relatively new to track driving (
I'm pretty experienced, but good question. No - I was coming off the carousel at 80mph the wide angle view doesn't show how close I come to the curbing there... Also that exit is notorious for eating cars if you go too wide and ride the curb and spin - you ride up the hill and flip. It's not a good situation, so unless I'm in my caged Miata - I won't take that all the way out.
Old 07-13-2016, 01:00 AM
neoprufrok
Rennlist Member

Received 512 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by trebien
Out of curiosity, I assume traction control was off?

Going into the turn hot, the tires were screeching a little bit already and the exhaust noise implies the throttle was still being carried through the turn... a 4 wheel drift, before the rear started to come around a little bit. I'm also curious what was going through your mind at that point, carrying the throttle even though you were already sliding a bit... seemed a bit more than simply "maintenance" throttle, but you can describe better than I can how the chassis reacts to throttle changes in a turn.

I'm also curious, what level (if any) the traction control was active to allow this much leeway.

Please understand, and am genuinely curious as to this cars behavior on track... not judging or questioning your skill by any means.

I respect McLaren as fantastic cars... truly an amazing mix of streetable track performers... it will be interesting to see how much of this balance Porsche can work in to the 960. I have high hopes.

No worries... Glad to answer. Coming out of that turn, I'm always balancing getting on throttle with under steer... So I was coming out of the turn about 80mph which is faster than most cars I can come out on... I wasn't four wheel drifting at all.. It's normal for the tires to be sounding like that on limit for the Trofeo R's at least from my experience. The 675LT is very catchable, so it gives you more confidence to push a little and grab - which is what happened here and happened at other times on track. I actually drive harder in my Miata by far.

Essentially, the strategy for that turn is to come off apex which is nearer the bottom of the curve and start getting on throttle to give your best exit speed. Probably I could have come off a little less, but honestly - the best drivers are constantly driving on this limit... I've got a lot more bravery to go in the McLaren - which probably won't happen. When I'm driving the Miata, my hands and the wheel are moving fairly constantly through turns - trying to find that balance on limit to get the most out of the tires. In the McLaren, it bites quickly if you don't have quick hands on limit.

Car is set to track track... TCS is still on - but it allows a lot of slip before stepping in.

Sonoma is one of the hardest tracks to master - you're never not turning the wheel.. And there is no runoff.. Just walls. So it's a rather difficult track to master. That means I'm just not crazy enough to throw non-caged, non pure track cars into turns without abandon like I am with the Miata. Here's a video of my friend recording me and I walk away from him a bit... And he's also in a 675LT.

Old 07-13-2016, 07:44 PM
ocgarza
Rennlist Member

Received 149 Likes on 125 Posts

Back to the original topic:
1. It looks like you were having the time of your life until the engine died
2. I was impressed with your ease at leaving some pretty good cars behind!
3. Those things happen with stick shifts, great engines, human drivers and bad tension adjusters.
4. So glad your are getting a warranty rebuild, BRAVO.

Keep tracking, keep shifting

Originally Posted by jslee225
http://youtu.be/l5KmxPMtSwY

Car was doing awesome all weekend even pulled double duty running 2 run groups by giving people rides. Not sure what happened but if you skip to 10 min you'll hear a loud fast buzzing noise appear around 7k right before I'm about to short shift to 3rd (i.e. did not shift). Then it was error code city! Found out later that some of the codes were camshaft and multiple cylinder misfire.

Good thing I was near the pits. Parked the car and shut it down and the car wouldn't start back up. Had car towed to dealer. I won't be able to sleep tonight

Any ideas what happened?
Old 07-13-2016, 09:37 PM
jslee225
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ocgarza
3. Those things happen with stick shifts, great engines, human drivers and bad tension adjusters.

Thanks for the nice words. This car was meant to be tracked, the way Porsche intended

Quick Update. There have been several delays, but most annoying is that "Germany" has not once, but twice sent damaged cylinder heads! So this will be the 3rd shipment which I hope comes in a couple days. With the rate things are going I probably won't get the car back for another 2-3 weeks. Oh well, I don't have any events until labor day weekend......such a long time
Old 07-13-2016, 09:46 PM
myBailey07
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 5 Posts

1. It looks like you were having the time of your life until the engine died.

Yes, I have seen the OP a few times now. He runs around like an energizer bunny and if he did not have ears he would be grinning all around. Definitely having a great time.

Definitely some talent here, considering the only OP has ten track days under the belt! I have plenty of cota experience and it has a nice balance: Very technical sections, flowing sections and long straights. Except for the long straights where HP is king, I have seen VERY few cars that can really outshine a well driven GT4 on the technical and flowing sections. If I recall, the occasional 675LT come to mind as well as the ACR that came by me like I was standing sting still, and, of course, some full track prepped cars. Except for longish straights, pretty much neck-to-neck with 991 GT3 - driver skill will win out...

Yeah that sucks. I'll take a pdk for that reason alone. It is so VERY easy for a mis shift to happen on track or simply a mis-timed shift.

Oh yeah!
Old 07-14-2016, 10:03 PM
ocgarza
Rennlist Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by myBailey07
1. It looks like you were having the time of your life until the engine died.

Yes, I have seen the OP a few times now. He runs around like an energizer bunny and if he did not have ears he would be grinning all around. Definitely having a great time.

Definitely some talent here, considering the only OP has ten track days under the belt! I have plenty of cota experience and it has a nice balance: Very technical sections, flowing sections and long straights. Except for the long straights where HP is king, I have seen VERY few cars that can really outshine a well driven GT4 on the technical and flowing sections. If I recall, the occasional 675LT come to mind as well as the ACR that came by me like I was standing sting still, and, of course, some full track prepped cars. Except for longish straights, pretty much neck-to-neck with 991 GT3 - driver skill will win out...

Yeah that sucks. I'll take a pdk for that reason alone. It is so VERY easy for a mis shift to happen on track or simply a mis-timed shift.

Oh yeah!
I had two straight days at COTA with MVP Track Time in March with my 2006 CS. Wow, it is a great track except when experienced drivers and hotter cars passed my stock Cayman CS like I was in reverse
I track that car in San Marcos TX with the local PCA Club (shameless plug for Longhorn Chapter!) at Harris Hill track and that is a fun, technical track that is underrated. COTA is another league all together, challenging drivers and cars to their limits. The stock shifter on the CS is not great and on the second day I had two missed shifts but luckily, still had the clutch in when I felt the bad shift. Other than a stinky clutch for a while, no damage. A Ford GT40 hit the track guards in turn 11, spun, and kissed the wall. Not only an expensive repair but he had to pay for the wall damage too. I cannot imagine a better time than in a GT4 at COTA. Please keep us updated on the repairs and throw more video up on the site when you're back on the track
Old 07-14-2016, 11:12 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Received 1,522 Likes on 653 Posts

Not only an expensive repair but he had to pay for the wall damage too.
I don't know of ANY track that doesn't charge for damage - whether it's the "kitty litter" put down to absorb fluids, or damage to Armco, Safer Barrier, "walls".

You break it - you fix it.
Old 07-16-2016, 10:06 AM
ocgarza
Rennlist Member

I imagine the insurance at any track is expensive, I can understand that policy. My normal track Harris Hill does not have much to break - no walls or grandstands - so it is a very comfortable track to drive.
Old 07-16-2016, 03:30 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,975 Likes on 918 Posts

Just rented a BMW 128i at Nurburgring from rent4race.com and after finding out their incredible track repair and tow costs, I opted for the $250 total insurance package... Was An amazing set of laps with the instructor btw, suggest it to anyone who is the proximity. If it rains, consider yourself in luck, massively more fun and instructive
Attached Images         
Old 07-16-2016, 03:38 PM
ocgarza
Rennlist Member

If Sabine Schmidt is still driving the Audi Ring Taxi, count me in
Old 07-16-2016, 04:09 PM
myBailey07
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 5 Posts

My normal track Harris Hill does not have much to break - no walls or grandstands - so it is a very comfortable track to drive.
It would have been a nice track if the surface at Harris Hill has not become atrocious with horrible bumps and no real fixes in sight. After torn engine mounts on my M3 and now two incidents of bent wheels on my GT4 (never going off...)I am unfortunately canceling my membership.
Old 07-17-2016, 03:37 PM
ocgarza
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by myBailey07
It would have been a nice track if the surface at Harris Hill has not become atrocious with horrible bumps and no real fixes in sight. After torn engine mounts on my M3 and now two incidents of bent wheels on my GT4 (never going off...)I am unfortunately canceling my membership.
I heard the track was suffering a bit but missed the last two track days with the Longhorn Chapter because of work committments. I hadn't heard the surface was that bad You know that track was built in the early years of the recent Texas drought and now that we have had two years of record spring rains, I wondered how the surface was going to hold up. The last time I was there - last October I believe - there was water draining across the track but the surface was still good.
Sorry to hear about the issues as I really like the track.
Old 07-18-2016, 04:54 AM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by HelpMeHelpU
Watched the video....just curious about the almost spin....nice save, yes, but could it have been avoided by unwinding the wheel sooner? I am relatively new to track driving (
In a word, yes. Though there are other factors.

Quick Reply: Gt4 awesome at COTA but sad ending :(