Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

Gt4 awesome at COTA but sad ending :(

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2016, 02:07 AM
bigskyGT3
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts

Sorry to hear about this. I'm glad that Porsche is honoring the warranty- good for them.

If it was me, I would feel more comfortable with a new engine, but it's their call...
Old 07-09-2016, 03:06 AM
fishing
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to read about this. I hope the car is fixed soon and you get back on track.

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
COTA is a car killer for some reason. More cars blow up there than any other track in texas.
This seems so true. Also, too many wrecks. I only run COTA one or two days a year. When I have been there, a prolonged red or black flag seems to occur one session every day.

Last edited by fishing; 07-09-2016 at 08:52 AM.
Old 07-09-2016, 10:32 AM
Vintage72
Burning Brakes

Received 401 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by fishing
I only run COTA one or two days a year. When I have been there, a prolonged red or black flag seems to occur one session every day.
That is not the track - just Corvettes catching on fire.
Old 07-09-2016, 12:09 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 813 Likes on 466 Posts

Originally Posted by Vintage72
That is not the track - just Corvettes catching on fire.
Don't forget the GT-r's on fire. I thought think COTA with its high speed straights and 2nd gear turns can cause more downshift over revs which can contribute to bad endings.

Peter
Old 07-09-2016, 02:49 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 955 Likes on 552 Posts

For some reason my cars break down more often than not at COTA....or catch fire....i hope this is not a trend.
Old 07-09-2016, 04:53 PM
myBailey07
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 5 Posts

Good luck with the repairs. I hope to see you out there again soon.

Yes, COTA is a car eater, no doubt. If you pay attention you'll see a number of cars going home on tow trucks EVERY weekend there, either having car trouble, or having hit something. Many others have stated some of the reasons above.

After having heat related limp mode trouble out there a few weekends ago, and with some additional PRO coaching where we discussed this, I adopted a new approach for my last weekend there. I call it "Drive with mechanical sensitivity". It worked well, and I will incorporate it everywhere going forward.

In essence, my car is not a race car, and I want it to last for a while, yet I still want to go fast, but also not blow it up needlessly in the process. So, with some help from my pro coach and with starting to pay more attention to my predictive lap timer (one of the best coaching toys out there!) I adopted the following:

1) Let the car breathe on "wasted" laps. With the predictive lap timer I now know the moment I screwed up in a section, or was held back by traffic, to the degree that a fast lap is gone. For the rest of the lap I will simply back off a teeny bit, let the car breathe and save some consumables in the process. No need to kill the car on a wasted lap.

2) Short shifting. Again, the car is not a race car. With data analysis and the pro coaching I have now realized that just because the car is making more noise does not mean I am faster through a section. There are many sections I now short shift and focus on momentum and corner speed, yet I am actually faster now and it is mechanically easier on the car.

3) Redlining on the straights. Cota has long straights and we tend to redline every gear. Again, when my predictive lap timer tells me I am not on record pace, or the car is already struggling in the heat, I see no reason to "wring" the car's neck and I now shift between 6.5-7k on the straights in these situations. Only when I am on record pace (or trying to hang onto Shake's rear bumper ;-)) will I now run the revs out on the straights.

4) Doubling up sessions. Some groups (or if you instruct) will allow you to run more than the std sessions, even back-to-back. I just feel it might not be worth it when ambient temps are 90+ and I will not do it on hot days, especially when I can already start feeling the car struggle with heat.

Anyway, of course stuff can still happen, but becoming more aware of driving with "mechanical sensitivity" at least makes me feel that I am doing my part, and it has not slowed me down. On the contrary, it has allowed me to focus more on other basics.
The following users liked this post:
Viper pilot (11-09-2019)
Old 07-09-2016, 05:13 PM
trebien
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another option is to start carrying a 1990's spec miata in your frunk.
Old 07-09-2016, 05:22 PM
myBailey07
Pro

Originally Posted by trebien
But, but, but...that is slow. And slow is uncool. And you can not win the DE if you're not cool...
Old 07-09-2016, 05:41 PM
fishing
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by myBailey07

After having heat related limp mode trouble out there a few weekends ago, and with some additional PRO coaching where we discussed this, I adopted a new approach for my last weekend there. I call it "Drive with mechanical sensitivity". It worked well, and I will incorporate it everywhere going forward.

In essence, my car is not a race car, and I want it to last for a while, yet I still want to go fast, but also not blow it up needlessly in the process. So, with some help from my pro coach and with starting to pay more attention to my predictive lap timer (one of the best coaching toys out there!) I adopted the following:

1) Let the car breathe on "wasted" laps. With the predictive lap timer I now know the moment I screwed up in a section, or was held back by traffic, to the degree that a fast lap is gone. For the rest of the lap I will simply back off a teeny bit, let the car breathe and save some consumables in the process. No need to kill the car on a wasted lap.

2) Short shifting. Again, the car is not a race car. With data analysis and the pro coaching I have now realized that just because the car is making more noise does not mean I am faster through a section. There are many sections I now short shift and focus on momentum and corner speed, yet I am actually faster now and it is mechanically easier on the car.

3) Redlining on the straights. Cota has long straights and we tend to redline every gear. Again, when my predictive lap timer tells me I am not on record pace, or the car is already struggling in the heat, I see no reason to "wring" the car's neck and I now shift between 6.5-7k on the straights in these situations. Only when I am on record pace (or trying to hang onto Shake's rear bumper ;-)) will I now run the revs out on the straights.

4) Doubling up sessions. Some groups (or if you instruct) will allow you to run more than the std sessions, even back-to-back. I just feel it might not be worth it when ambient temps are 90+ and I will not do it on hot days, especially when I can already start feeling the car struggle with heat.

Anyway, of course stuff can still happen, but becoming more aware of driving with "mechanical sensitivity" at least makes me feel that I am doing my part, and it has not slowed me down. On the contrary, it has allowed me to focus more on other basics.
Excellent points I hadn't fully thought about in the past. That would also be a great opportunity to look for grip and try different lines, smoothness, different braking, rolling speed, reference points, etc.
Old 07-09-2016, 06:20 PM
myBailey07
Pro

Originally Posted by fishing
Excellent points I hadn't fully thought about in the past. That would also be a great opportunity to look for grip and try different lines, smoothness, different braking, rolling speed, reference points, etc.
Yep, pro coaching opened my eyes. In stead of just hammering the car and myself all the time and learning to back off just a wee bit (when appropriate), I have learned to break up driving into specific component skills and working hard on improving those specific skills. Now, when all align and I do decide to hammer for a few laps, I am much faster than before, and the car is happier as a result too. Win-Win!
Old 07-09-2016, 08:50 PM
fishing
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by myBailey07
Yep, pro coaching opened my eyes. In stead of just hammering the car and myself all the time and learning to back off just a wee bit (when appropriate), I have learned to break up driving into specific component skills and working hard on improving those specific skills. Now, when all align and I do decide to hammer for a few laps, I am much faster than before, and the car is happier as a result too. Win-Win!
Old 07-10-2016, 01:52 AM
Jgarvish
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

MyBailey07 is wise! Good suggestions.
Old 07-10-2016, 01:59 AM
myBailey07
Pro

Originally Posted by Jgarvish
MyBailey07 is wise! Good suggestions.
MyBailey07 is <strike> wise </strike> handsome!

Thx, but, see there, I fixed it for you.

Why do I need to keep correcting folks on the forum?
Old 07-10-2016, 07:11 AM
neoprufrok
Rennlist Member

Received 512 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by trebien
Exactly my solution. I have a 2003 Miata built with full cage, kill switch, spec miata suspension setup, slicks and is supercharged. With the 6pt harness, a HANS I love lapping Sonoma with it at full tilt.

I don't care what anyone says, you're not driving at the ultimate limit unless your'e driving a dedicated track car. You can drive at 9.5/10ths.. but to be a better driver you need to make mistakes to learn to correct.. and not many people will be excited to do that conciously or subconciously on track.

Spec Miatas also have incredibly low consumble costs.

Don't get me wrong, I've put my 675LT on track and did a 1:48 at Sonoma (I'm a member of a track club there).. and I'll be taking the GT4 there. But I know full well, I am my best in the Miata.

Same goes for fellow members in my track club. We all started driving regular street cars slightly modded for track, but after awhile we all ended up with dedicated track cars.
Old 07-10-2016, 01:58 PM
haen
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 27 Posts

Your post is spot on. New fast cars definitely have an appeal that is hard to ignore. Everyone is convinced that going faster means you're having more fun but that sadly isn't the case. Unless you're competing in a spec series or doing SCCA type events, absolute lap times don't matter. Driving on the limit, no matter the speed, is where you have the most fun. I can't recommend competitive kart racing enough and talk about low consumable costs!

Originally Posted by neoprufrok
Exactly my solution. I have a 2003 Miata built with full cage, kill switch, spec miata suspension setup, slicks and is supercharged. With the 6pt harness, a HANS I love lapping Sonoma with it at full tilt.

I don't care what anyone says, you're not driving at the ultimate limit unless your'e driving a dedicated track car. You can drive at 9.5/10ths.. but to be a better driver you need to make mistakes to learn to correct.. and not many people will be excited to do that conciously or subconciously on track.

Spec Miatas also have incredibly low consumble costs.

Don't get me wrong, I've put my 675LT on track and did a 1:48 at Sonoma (I'm a member of a track club there).. and I'll be taking the GT4 there. But I know full well, I am my best in the Miata.

Same goes for fellow members in my track club. We all started driving regular street cars slightly modded for track, but after awhile we all ended up with dedicated track cars.

Quick Reply: Gt4 awesome at COTA but sad ending :(