Sponsored by: APR

Cargraphic Headers. Whose got em?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2017, 11:49 PM
DC640
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by okie981
I did my baseline dyno runs yesterday at Growler in Plano. I did them with Map 0 (stock) installed using the Cobb AP I bought from you last week. My headers arrive back from Swain by 10 Nov. I'll be in touch with you in early December for the custom tune I talked to Wray about. I'm not going to have time to get the headers installed before the Schnellfest at COTA on 17-19 Nov, but after Turkey day I'll get them in and send you some logs from 3rd gear pulls. I will have before/after video/audio for comparison and will post the whole story on RL in the parent forum since this of course is the GT4 forum.

BTW, Chris at Growler did some really consistent runs on the dyno from 2000 to 7500 RPM, could hardly tell one run from the other except for a little blip at 2200 RPM. It was a nice cool day in Plano yesterday morning, the weather data is stored with the runs for correction and comparison to runs on other days. It's a Mustang brake dyno with weather station.

Edit: Forgot to mention, when I was standing about 5 feet behind and 15 feet left of the back of the car during the runs, I experienced JUST HOW LOUD THIS CAR IS with only PSE and Fabspeed x-pipe tips. Holy moly. Sounds amazing, but ear plugs are recommended at that distance. I can't wait to hear with the Cargraphic Sports installed. I'll have before/after video/audio for comparison and will post in the 981 parent forum because this is of course the GT4 forum.
You are going to have a BIG smile when you hear the sound. I did when i went from stock to Sports... then from Sports to Race.. now that sound is on diff level if you can stand the fume from no cat (i personally like the smell)
Old 11-03-2017, 01:03 PM
thigos
Rennlist Member

Received 345 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by DC640
You are going to have a BIG smile when you hear the sound. I did when i went from stock to Sports... then from Sports to Race.. now that sound is on diff level if you can stand the fume from no cat (i personally like the smell)
How much different or louder was the transition from sports to race?? I know sound is hard to describe...

I currently have the race running into PSE and am looking for a way to tone the sound down. Its just too cup car for the street

Do 200 cell cats make that much difference?
Old 11-04-2017, 11:56 AM
cox1974
Rennlist Member

Received 121 Likes on 65 Posts

Not too much in my experience... I swithced from Fabspeed sport headers to cargraphic race...with the pse button off...the sound is unchanged and very streetable
Old 11-06-2017, 12:42 AM
thigos
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cox1974
Not too much in my experience... I swithced from Fabspeed sport headers to cargraphic race...with the pse button off...the sound is unchanged and very streetable
I am currently running the race header and am looking for less volume when the valves are open. Sounds like cats don't make much difference in your experience, right?
Old 11-07-2017, 02:17 PM
DC640
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by thigos
I am currently running the race header and am looking for less volume when the valves are open. Sounds like cats don't make much difference in your experience, right?
i think Cats do decrease some db.. but how much difference you may notice is subjective and relative.
Old 11-07-2017, 02:19 PM
DC640
Three Wheelin'

How much different or louder was the transition from sports to race?? I know sound is hard to describe...

I currently have the race running into PSE and am looking for a way to tone the sound down. Its just too cup car for the street

Do 200 cell cats make that much difference?

i think race headers with PSE valve closed is very street-able. There is no drone or anything. WOT is different story but just keep the below 5k and you are good.... sports headers was quieter in every way compared to race headers.
Old 11-07-2017, 02:29 PM
thigos
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DC640
i think race headers with PSE valve closed is very street-able. There is no drone or anything. WOT is different story but just keep the below 5k and you are good.... sports headers was quieter in every way compared to race headers.
Is there a big difference between the sport and race at WOT, or is most of the difference heard at lesser load? Sorry, I know you said everywhere, just trying to get a clear picture..

I agree that with valves closed the PSE is streetable, but once they open its a damn cup car. Awesome at the track, not so much on the street as the volume turns every head within a half mile radius. lol

I want to be able to get on it on the street without so much volume. Sounds like the cats do a decent job of this. Ideally I would like to run my race headers into a catted over-axle pipe and into oem PSE. I don't mind modifying the PSE. What do you guys think about this idea?

Thanks for the input and advice.
Old 11-10-2017, 01:38 PM
supercup
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 50 Posts

There is a big difference between sport and race at anything over 4,000 RPM - race are just that - for the track and people who like loud exhaust, they offer max performance, but none of your neighbors will like you anymore!

With sport you give up a little performance, get great sound and still get invited to the neighbors.

No right answer just personal preference - either option is an improvement over stock 3,500 and up and an improvement in sound. So just decide what you like and take the plunge, you won't regret it!
Old 11-11-2017, 02:27 AM
cox1974
Rennlist Member

Received 121 Likes on 65 Posts

Perfect reply
Old 11-11-2017, 10:22 AM
DC640
Three Wheelin'

Good reply and worded better than I could’ve. I’m just used to my race header sound. On the track, with my helmet on- I wish it was louder lol

Race headers are louder period. Now cargraphics has another revised sports design and lt looks more robust to hold the weight of the modular removable cats. For those whose on the fence w sound for the street but may want no-car option, this could be your route
Old 11-12-2017, 11:13 AM
NelsonF
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I agree that with valves closed the PSE is streetable, but once they open its a damn cup car. Awesome at the track, not so much on the street as the volume turns every head within a half mile radius. lol

I want to be able to get on it on the street without so much volume. Sounds like the cats do a decent job of this. Ideally I would like to run my race headers into a catted over-axle pipe and into oem PSE. [/B]I don't mind modifying the PSE. What do you guys think about this idea?

I would also like to run my race headers into a catted pipe and into my OEM PSE on my Spyder. Any vendor recommendations for this setup?
Old 11-20-2017, 12:51 PM
thigos
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NelsonF

I would also like to run my race headers into a catted pipe and into my OEM PSE on my Spyder. Any vendor recommendations for this setup?
This product doesn't exist that I am aware of. I have talked to Jamie at Dundon about it. They are interested in doing it and already have the catted over axle pipes as part of the CCV exhaust development. It seems they agree on the idea, but have a bunch of projects going on. Give Jaime a call and let them know you're interested. It seems simple enough.
Old 11-20-2017, 01:01 PM
UFreefer
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone have a used set of sports for sale?
Old 11-20-2017, 01:14 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 600 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by G-forceTarga4S
BGB, could we get another group buy going for the sport headers with high flow cats?
I think that we are probably at a point where we could re-visit this if we find enough interested folks. I am not opposed to it and i just discussed the notion of it with Wray so we are onboard; it's the holidays after all!!

This product doesn't exist that I am aware of. I have talked to Jamie at Dundon about it. They are interested in doing it and already have the catted over axle pipes as part of the CCV exhaust development. It seems they agree on the idea, but have a bunch of projects going on. Give Jaime a call and let them know you're interested. It seems simple enough.
I realize that this could turn into a long discussion about exhaust gasses and scavenging, but why the desire to go that route when the revised 2017 Cargraphic Sport manifolds have a removable catalytic converter that substitutes a bypass pipe for those going on track? We redesigned them over the summer to have additional dampening because Cayman/Boxster exhaust systems don't seem to handle very bumpy tracks or tracks with big exit curbs when there is already a lot of play in the transmission and motor mounts that causes the drivetrain on these cars to move all over the place in the engine bay.

Originally Posted by NelsonF

I want to be able to get on it on the street without so much volume. Sounds like the cats do a decent job of this. Ideally I would like to run my race headers into a catted over-axle pipe and into oem PSE. I don't mind modifying the PSE. What do you guys think about this idea?

I have sat back and let others chime in because it's somewhat of an opinion or preference but so far the feedback has been the same as i see it or would relay it. This setup is surprisingly okay on the street if you're creeping around with the valves closed but once you mash the gas with the valve open or even closed for that matter, anyone within earshot knows you're coming or going. The sound on the race track is epic but again, you're going to be one of the loudest cars on track.

Originally Posted by supercup
There is a big difference between sport and race at anything over 4,000 RPM - race are just that - for the track and people who like loud exhaust, they offer max performance, but none of your neighbors will like you anymore!

With sport you give up a little performance, get great sound and still get invited to the neighbors.

No right answer just personal preference - either option is an improvement over stock 3,500 and up and an improvement in sound. So just decide what you like and take the plunge, you won't regret it!
Again, awesome feedback. I agree. Your neighbors probably don't like you leaving for the track in the morning at 5:30am but everyone on the pit wall loves you as you go by like a Cup car!
Old 11-20-2017, 01:45 PM
thigos
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BGB Motorsports

I realize that this could turn into a long discussion about exhaust gasses and scavenging, but why the desire to go that route when the revised 2017 Cargraphic Sport manifolds have a removable catalytic converter that substitutes a bypass pipe for those going on track? We redesigned them over the summer to have additional dampening because Cayman/Boxster exhaust systems don't seem to handle very bumpy tracks or tracks with big exit curbs when there is already a lot of play in the transmission and motor mounts that causes the drivetrain on these cars to move all over the place in the engine bay.
!
If I was buying headers today, I would probably go that route. However, since I already have your race headers and have been spoiled by the torque, I would like to keep the longer primaries of the race setup. I just like the idea of having the restriction further downstream.

It just seems there has got to be a way to quiet down the total volume while keeping the race header. (All of the aftermarket rear sections seem to be louder than PSE as far as I know.)

Quick Reply: Cargraphic Headers. Whose got em?