Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

Experiment - GT4 Track Setup Wiki:

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2016, 12:44 AM
jphughan
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Sorry for the people who had trouble, and thanks for being guinea pigs for the rest of us I guess. Hopefully the vendors of the aftermarket parts that failed or caused other failures will improve things or at least test and suggest other workarounds.
Old 06-20-2016, 02:11 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by myBailey07
Anyway, I think the point being that performance modding that is not specifically designed for track conditions and hard tracking may not work well together, especially if you throw in high heat.
I learned this lesson years ago. Everyone eventually does.
Old 06-20-2016, 02:21 AM
9001rpm
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not a apples to apples comparison but I had similar issues with a OST Cobb tune back when I had a GTR (neither the GTR nor Cobb left me with a warm fuzzy feeling).

My personal opinion is they don't do OST tunes with hardcore track rats in mind.
Old 06-20-2016, 03:22 AM
DeerHunter
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Didn't John at BGB state that the OEM tune was pretty much optimized (i.e. not much to be gained from timing and/or fueling tweaks)?
Old 06-20-2016, 09:38 AM
Vintage72
Burning Brakes

Received 400 Likes on 199 Posts

I have a set of race CG headers coming - now what? I was going to Swain coat them but that does not solve the potential tune issue . . . I guess just sell them and cut my losses?

As a novice that ran Friday at COTA, I can honestly say that I do not need ONE mod on my car to love every second of it . . . even when I am being passed.

Sorry to hear this happened guys.
Old 06-20-2016, 10:44 AM
electron mike
Rennlist Member

Received 628 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
My car ended up at ATX because my CG sport headers set the rear hub wiring harnesses on fire. The entire harness that feeds the electric parking brake and speed sensor were destroyed and the car is not very happy now. If you've been on the fence about a ceramic coating and custom heat shields....do it!! Or don't get headers if you are serious about tracking it.
Yikes, sorry to hear, wondered what it was when you had an issue in the afternoon session yesterday.

I didn't have any problems with my Fabspeed sport headers.. maybe the shorter tubes are not as close to the wiring? I'm going to take a close look at mine on the lift and see though, maybe I was just lucky so far. Where was the wiring damage, back by the hub?
Old 06-20-2016, 12:02 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 953 Likes on 551 Posts

Originally Posted by Vintage72
I have a set of race CG headers coming - now what? I was going to Swain coat them but that does not solve the potential tune issue . . . I guess just sell them and cut my losses?
I think if you coat them, and perhaps look into a wrap or heat shield then problem solved. I also worry about the rear shocks getting too hot now.

Originally Posted by electron mike
Yikes, sorry to hear, wondered what it was when you had an issue in the afternoon session yesterday.

I didn't have any problems with my Fabspeed sport headers.. maybe the shorter tubes are not as close to the wiring? I'm going to take a close look at mine on the lift and see though, maybe I was just lucky so far. Where was the wiring damage, back by the hub?
There is a wiring harness that wraps over the hub, across the shock, and down behind to the electric parking brake actuator, and to the speed sensor - it was melted starting at the shock, and charred going down to the brake actuator and entry into the hub for the speed sensor. I did not look at both sides, I only looked at the side the durametric said had shorted.

BTW - durametric worked like a champ to diagnose and clear codes all weekend. The Cobb access point would not clear codes, nor had any description of the codes displayed.
Old 06-20-2016, 12:06 PM
Jenner
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

This is bad news for the aftermarket. Have you engaged any shops/vendors in discussion about this failure?

I thought John @ BGB used cargraphic headers on all his race cars and 3.8L conversions. Why is the GT4 having such problems where those other cars aren't? "Because streetcar?"
Old 06-20-2016, 12:35 PM
Vintage72
Burning Brakes

Received 400 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by Jenner
This is bad news for the aftermarket. Have you engaged any shops/vendors in discussion about this failure?

I thought John @ BGB used cargraphic headers on all his race cars and 3.8L conversions. Why is the GT4 having such problems where those other cars aren't? "Because streetcar?"
I think we ask the source. I suspect install details and coating are the answers but more facts help and John/BGB appear to be direct folks.
Old 06-20-2016, 01:02 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 600 Likes on 268 Posts

We recommend wrapping the manifolds or coating them when you live in hot parts of the country to cool the engine bay temps and hopefully reduce engine oil temps so it's not that we expect this to happen with manifolds that have not been coated. This is the first we have heard of things melting across 20 + track cars running our manifolds with AND without cats. In retrospect, realizing that COTA is one of the most thermally demanding tracks we visit in North America during the summer, we probably should have tried to help Shake N Bake get those parts to/from Swain in time for his season. It's nothing something we ever assumed would cause any damage to any wiring/dampers/etc, as none of our prior track history had resulted in anything behavior such as this.

Since my original reply however, I have since been in contact with ShakeNBake. While I have not had any problems such as those mentioned above with the Cobb Tuning, i have reached out to him with the intention to help, reveal something or do anything to try and add some support. I just wanted more intel to determine a starting point.

Last edited by BGB Motorsports; 06-20-2016 at 02:03 PM.
Old 06-20-2016, 09:38 PM
COBB Tuning
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 204 Likes on 97 Posts

Car went completely into limp mode towards end of morning session and limited me to 40mph getting back to pits once "reduced power" warning came on. Let it cool down, cleared error codes and uninstalled tune, the only non-suspension mod on car. Worked fine after that and finished afternoon sessions, which were even hotter, without any issues.

I obviously can't definitively say that the tune caused my issue. We only have two different data points, which doesn't make a trend; however, we also cannot ignore that out of a number of GT4's there the weekend, the two with a tune went into limp mode and worked fine after reversing back to stock tune.

Makes you go hmmmm?

Anyway, I think the point being that performance modding that is not specifically designed for track conditions and hard tracking may not work well together, especially if you throw in high heat.

-----------------------------------------------------

Both cars went into limp mode with CELs caused by a what I can only guess was a tune that was not designed for track use. Lots of over-limit codes. One had all the theoretically go fast goodies on it, and the other was stock.

Edit: Going back to Stage 0 (Stock) got them back on the track without issue.

My car ended up at ATX because my CG sport headers set the rear hub wiring harnesses on fire. The entire harness that feeds the electric parking brake and speed sensor were destroyed and the car is not very happy now. If you've been on the fence about a ceramic coating and custom heat shields....do it!! Or don't get headers if you are serious about tracking it.

Overall a fun weekend, but it made me and a couple others regret modding our cars. I'm putting things bad to stock engine wise. I'd prefer to have a running car when there is 3 days of pristine open F1 track.
I'm sorry to hear about any issues you had at the track, did you guys happen to pull the codes or take any datalogs? Do you have any data you can send to us from either car? For next time, the Accessport has a built in code scanner as a feature. We have had many GT4s on track, including IMSA cars, with out issue so any data you collected will be beneficial in finding the root cause of your issue, be it tune related or something else.

Anyway the melting hub wiring was the root cause of the car going into limp mode? We do not raise the Rev Limits on our OTS maps, is there a possibility of a miss shift or money shift that caused the overlimit code? I'm not trying to point fingers, just trying to collect as much data as possible to help get to the bottom of the issue. The Accessport has the ability gather tons of information if it is set up to datalog before you go out on track. If any situations like this do arise the data from the log is easily accessible and much of the guess work is removed

We had a member of our COBB Porsche team at COTA yesterday who would have been very willing to help out. Always feel free to shoot us an email anytime. Being fellow car enthusiasts we are often at many local events.

If you ever encounter any issues please feel free to contact us any time!

Mitch, Jared, Joe, and myself are almost always available to field any questions, comments, or concerns anyone may have.

Porsche.Experts@Cobbtuning.com

-Jon

PORSCHE EXPERT GROUP - TIM | GRANT | HJ | ANDREW | JARED
COBBTUNING.COM | LIKE US ON FACEBOOK | SEARCH KNOWLEDGE BASE |CONTACT US

Last edited by COBB Tuning; 06-20-2016 at 10:05 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 06-20-2016, 11:24 PM
COBB Tuning
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

To add to my previous post slightly,

The P0068 and P1074 codes that will appear with a code scan for you folks running an Accessport with your IPD plenum are designed to still show up during a scan but will not put the car into limp mode when the AP is installed.

Thanks everyone!

-Jon
Old 06-20-2016, 11:40 PM
myBailey07
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by COBB Tuning
I'm sorry to hear about any issues you had at the track, did you guys happen to pull the codes or take any datalogs? Do you have any data you can send to us from either car? The Accessport has the ability gather tons of information if it is set up to datalog before you go out on track. If any situations like this do arise the data from the log is easily accessible and much of the guess work is removed

We had a member of our COBB Porsche team at COTA yesterday who would have been very willing to help out. Always feel free to shoot us an email anytime. Being fellow car enthusiasts we are often at many local events.

If you ever encounter any issues please feel free to contact us any time!

Mitch, Jared, Joe, and myself are almost always available to field any questions, comments, or concerns anyone may have.

Porsche.Experts@Cobbtuning.com

-Jon
Thanks for the response and offer to help. I did not collect any data. Shake helped me look at and clear the error codes. In all honesty, I was a little freaked out and in a rush and did not even think of doing track side data collection etc.

I just wanted to get back up and running as soon as I could and get on with the weekend. I removed the tune as it is the only performance mod I have and it seemed like the logical thing to do. After that the car was okay and I was just happy that I could finish up the weekend.

I really got the tune as I like the way it feels more responsive on the street and it was not really to get more track performance, but as I mainly use my car on the track I am going to just leave it off for a while and see what the car does in my upcoming events in the heat. Eliminates one variable.

If I decide the re-introduce the tune I will take you up on your offer to help set it up to capture data logs for in case something happens again to help figure out what is going on.

The problem with using the AP on the track is that the OBD port is right above the pedals and with the way the cable attaches there is no way to attach it and leave it in for me and not be kicking it constantly as I change gears/brake.
Old 06-21-2016, 09:07 AM
Jenner
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The problem with using the AP on the track is that the OBD port is right above the pedals and with the way the cable attaches there is no way to attach it and leave it in for me and not be kicking it constantly as I change gears/brake.
Problem solved for $6:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EECXAY8/
Old 06-21-2016, 01:58 PM
COBB Tuning
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Thanks for the response and offer to help. I did not collect any data. Shake helped me look at and clear the error codes. In all honesty, I was a little freaked out and in a rush and did not even think of doing track side data collection etc.

I just wanted to get back up and running as soon as I could and get on with the weekend. I removed the tune as it is the only performance mod I have and it seemed like the logical thing to do. After that the car was okay and I was just happy that I could finish up the weekend.

I really got the tune as I like the way it feels more responsive on the street and it was not really to get more track performance, but as I mainly use my car on the track I am going to just leave it off for a while and see what the car does in my upcoming events in the heat. Eliminates one variable.

If I decide the re-introduce the tune I will take you up on your offer to help set it up to capture data logs for in case something happens again to help figure out what is going on.

Absolutely! This goes for everyone else as well, please don't hesitate to contact us directly with any questions you may have. We strive to make a very user friendly product that you can be confident in and feedback from you guys is always helpful!

Quick Reply: Experiment - GT4 Track Setup Wiki: