Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

Experiment - GT4 Track Setup Wiki:

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2016, 11:44 AM
RDCR
Rennlist Member

Received 527 Likes on 333 Posts

Check your headlights if you have had the car wrapped. One guy here on Rennlist posted his came off, and 2 guys at the track this friday had problems. One physically came off on one car and on the other car they were loose when he checked them. Seems the detailers don't completely know the procedure and how they snap into place.
Old 06-19-2016, 01:01 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 953 Likes on 551 Posts

Couple cars with Cobb tunes dead at cota this weekend. More to come...but seems Porsche had things dialed in from the factory.
Old 06-19-2016, 01:46 PM
Vintage72
Burning Brakes

Received 400 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
Couple cars with Cobb tunes dead at cota this weekend. More to come...but seems Porsche had things dialed in from the factory.
I was at COTA Friday and I look forward to hearing from you on this issue.
Old 06-19-2016, 01:51 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 623 Likes on 381 Posts

Dead how? CEL / limp mode dead, or mechanical failure dead? Multiple cars with the same issue?
Old 06-19-2016, 02:53 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,042 Likes on 535 Posts

+1
Old 06-19-2016, 10:36 PM
jslee225
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Saw your car at ATX when I dropped of my car after COTA

Tried to run into you several times over the last 3 days.
Old 06-19-2016, 11:17 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Both cars went into limp mode with CELs caused by a what I can only guess was a tune that was not designed for track use. Lots of over-limit codes. One had all the theoretically go fast goodies on it, and the other was stock.

Edit: Going back to Stage 0 (Stock) got them back on the track without issue.

My car ended up at ATX because my CG sport headers set the rear hub wiring harnesses on fire. The entire harness that feeds the electric parking brake and speed sensor were destroyed and the car is not very happy now. If you've been on the fence about a ceramic coating and custom heat shields....do it!! Or don't get headers if you are serious about tracking it.

Overall a fun weekend, but it made me and a couple others regret modding our cars. I'm putting things bad to stock engine wise. I'd prefer to have a running car when there is 3 days of pristine open F1 track.

Last edited by ShakeNBake; 06-19-2016 at 11:58 PM.
Old 06-19-2016, 11:29 PM
fishing
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Both cars went into limp mode with CELs caused by a what I can only guess was a tune that was not designed for track use. One had all the theoretically go fast goodies on it, and the other was stock.

My car ended up at ATX because my CG sport headers set the rear hub wiring harnesses on fire. The entire harness that feeds the electric parking brake and speed sensor were destroyed and the car is not very happy now. If you've been on the fence about a ceramic coating and custom heat shields....do it!! Or don't get headers if you are serious about tracking it.

Overall a fun weekend, but it made me and a couple others regret modding our cars. I'm putting things bad to stock engine wise. I'd prefer to have a running car when there is 3 days of pristine open F1 track.
Dang, sorry to hear this. I hope everyone is back on track soon. All your experience/input is so informative.
Old 06-19-2016, 11:53 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 623 Likes on 381 Posts

Sorry to hear that. Definitely keeping my engine stock...

Both cars went into limp mode with CELs caused by a what I can only guess was a tune that was not designed for track use. One had all the theoretically go fast goodies on it, and the other was stock.

Old 06-19-2016, 11:54 PM
texasviany
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I hate to see cars DNF...that's too bad. I also scratch my head when a small company tries to "out-engineer" the factory. Tires/brakes/suspension is the safest bet to go fast and keep the car reliable. Its not just Porsche...I have seen Vipers with the "head and cam" package and VWs that were over-boosted grenade at the track.
Old 06-20-2016, 12:00 AM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,042 Likes on 535 Posts

On last 4 cars I've limited mods to the suspension only. With the exception of a Sharkwerks bypass.
Old 06-20-2016, 12:02 AM
myBailey07
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts

Yep, I was #2^. That's what happens when you try and keep up with Shake - you fall behind and then your car breaks down.

I'm learning the hard way (also considering my horrible C7 Z06 overheating experience) that heat is enemy #1 for a car already being already pushed to the limit on the track. And it was HOT this weekend. Heat really ups the stress on any car as it is. Adding any mods that increases that stress even a bit will exponentially increase the risk of stuff happening when it gets really hot and the car is pushed.

I think I finally learned my lesson...
Old 06-20-2016, 12:16 AM
DeerHunter
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by myBailey07
Yep, I was #2^. That's what happens when you try and keep up with Shake - you fall behind and then your car breaks down.
Once cooled off, is it back to normal? No permanent damage done, I hope.
Old 06-20-2016, 12:23 AM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by myBailey07

I'm learning the hard way (also considering my horrible C7 Z06 overheating experience) that heat is enemy #1 for a car already being already pushed to the limit on the track. And it was HOT this weekend. Heat really ups the stress on any car as it is. Adding any mods that increases that stress even a bit will exponentially increase the risk of stuff happening when it gets really hot and the car is pushed.

I think I finally learned my lesson...
You here keeping up just fine....I was running for my life, like a scene from game of thrones.
Old 06-20-2016, 12:44 AM
myBailey07
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DeerHunter
Once cooled off, is it back to normal? No permanent damage done, I hope.
Car went completely into limp mode towards end of morning session and limited me to 40mph getting back to pits once "reduced power" warning came on. Let it cool down, cleared error codes and uninstalled tune, the only non-suspension mod on car. Worked fine after that and finished afternoon sessions, which were even hotter, without any issues.

I obviously can't definitively say that the tune caused my issue. We only have two different data points, which doesn't make a trend; however, we also cannot ignore that out of a number of GT4's there the weekend, the two with a tune went into limp mode and worked fine after reversing back to stock tune.

Makes you go hmmmm?

Anyway, I think the point being that performance modding that is not specifically designed for track conditions and hard tracking may not work well together, especially if you throw in high heat.

Quick Reply: Experiment - GT4 Track Setup Wiki: