Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

Orthojoe's GT4 track thread and ramblings

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2016, 03:51 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

The problem with going even stiffer front sway bar is that you will induce even more understeer, no? I'm good with how the car handles on full stiff oem sway bars, but I'm not sure if we want to go any more stiff?
Old 04-04-2016, 03:59 PM
Beantown Kman
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
Martin originally went down this path because he felt the car was diving too much under braking. I'm just wanting to increase roll stiffness to reduce the camber increase in coeners - we should be able to accomplish this with swaybars, no? Stiffer springs, in addition to potential PASM issues, will make the car harder on tires in general, all things being equal.
NB: I am not a suspension engineer. But I've always operated under the assumption that you want to use the softest spring rate possible to control the roll and dive created by your chosen tire. You want to use springs to do this, not sway bars, as the sway bars are used to take away traction at one end.
Old 04-04-2016, 04:08 PM
DeerHunter
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Yargk
The cup2s have specifically designed softer outside edges, so I wonder how tire wear looks with other tires that don't have this construction.
IIRC, the Cup 2s actually have a harder-wearing compound on the outer edges, at least compared to the original Cups. This was mentioned in an AP video and, by all accounts, the Cup 2 does wear better than its predecessor.
Old 04-04-2016, 04:41 PM
Yargk
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by DeerHunter
IIRC, the Cup 2s actually have a harder-wearing compound on the outer edges, at least compared to the original Cups. This was mentioned in an AP video and, by all accounts, the Cup 2 does wear better than its predecessor.
I would not be surprised that the outer edge on the cup 2 is harder than the outer edge on the cup 1.

However, the outer edge should still be softer than the the inner edge. The idea is that with some camber you ride on the inner edge on the highway (cup 2s are dual purpose tires), so they make that harder. When you go to the track you'll ride on the outer edges more so they are made to be softer to have more grip.
Old 04-04-2016, 04:47 PM
DeerHunter
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Yargk
However, the outer edge should still be softer than the the inner edge. The idea is that with some camber you ride on the inner edge on the highway (cup 2s are dual purpose tires), so they make that harder. When you go to the track you'll ride on the outer edges more so they are made to be softer to have more grip.
Fair enough.
Old 04-04-2016, 05:00 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Beantown Kman
Damper valving will generally work with a wider range of spring rates than you might think. In the case of the GT4 we have the added advantage of a PASM system that increases the range in which they will work effectively.
I believe this is correct
Old 04-04-2016, 06:43 PM
Eric5280
Rennlist Member

Received 189 Likes on 92 Posts

FWIW, a friend of mine installed this in his 997.2 C4S for the track session last weekend and it made a substantial decrease in body roll. I was quite suspect that there would be any gain, but it did work quite well. No idea if the GT4 version will work but maybe it is an easy option to test. 4 half days in and my fronts are shot as well.

https://rennlist.com/forums/gt4/8952...sc-module.html
Old 04-04-2016, 07:21 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,948 Likes on 2,802 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric5280
FWIW, a friend of mine installed this in his 997.2 C4S for the track session last weekend and it made a substantial decrease in body roll. I was quite suspect that there would be any gain, but it did work quite well. No idea if the GT4 version will work but maybe it is an easy option to test. 4 half days in and my fronts are shot as well.

https://rennlist.com/forums/gt4/8952...sc-module.html
Eric - that is the product I was thinking of (but couldn't remember the name). I wonder if they could tailor the software to work with the higher rate springs (uses stock shocks with different controller)...
Old 04-04-2016, 07:31 PM
Eric5280
Rennlist Member

Received 189 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
Eric - that is the product I was thinking of (but couldn't remember the name). I wonder if they could tailor the software to work with the higher rate springs (uses stock shocks with different controller)...
Oh, ok. Not sure, but Leo's black C4S was a wallowing pig a couple weeks back and not too bad yesterday. He said they have good service, may be worth reaching out to them.
Old 04-05-2016, 12:14 AM
jphughan
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Joe how much worse is your GT4 front tire wear compared to your GT3 at the same track? If it's significant, I'm curious if you have any thoughts as to what might account for the difference (assuming you have a similar alignment and suspension mod setup in both cars), seeing as the two cars share front suspensions and tires (right down to the size) and weigh about the same amount. I know the GT4 has a somewhat more forward-biased weight distribution, but I don't see that being responsible for a major difference in front outside tire wear, though I am of course no expert.
Old 04-05-2016, 12:25 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by jphughan
Joe how much worse is your GT4 front tire wear compared to your GT3 at the same track? If it's significant, I'm curious if you have any thoughts as to what might account for the difference (assuming you have a similar alignment and suspension mod setup in both cars), seeing as the two cars share front suspensions and tires (right down to the size) and weigh about the same amount. I know the GT4 has a somewhat more forward-biased weight distribution, but I don't see that being responsible for a major difference in front outside tire wear, though I am of course no expert.
Tire wear rate and pattern are very similar with the GT3, unfortunately. Alignment setup is almost identical as well.

I have spoken to a GT3 owner who has been told that the GT3 needs stiffer springs as well and he is currently testing them in his car.
Old 04-05-2016, 12:33 AM
vantage
Three Wheelin'

Received 189 Likes on 113 Posts

Porsche needs to change to double wishbones / multi-link and then this problem would be solved while using street spring rates. Strut camber curve isn't ideal.

Still amazing that we get this kind of performance out of struts though.
Old 04-05-2016, 12:53 AM
4carl
Race Car

Received 1,138 Likes on 607 Posts

With double A arms my old lotus was very even tire ware on all 4 @ -2 F & -2.5R carl
Old 04-05-2016, 01:32 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Data trace of the 2 991GT3s (green and blue) at the 5 mile Thunderhill course vs. my GT4 (red)

Old 04-05-2016, 02:27 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,987 Likes on 2,272 Posts

Originally Posted by Beantown Kman
It appears to be getting more and more clear that the oem spring rates are just too soft for serious track duty. Everybody is chasing understeer and excessive front tire wear with more and more negative camber. But that doesn't appear to be working.

Martin, I think you've commented on this previously but would you mind telling us again how the stiffer springs on your car affected ride quality on the street? Are you driving your car on the street?? I would think 450/550 would be quite stiff for a street car but not quite bone jarring. Are you happy with how your car handles now? Have you changed the ride height?
I went 450 front and 550 rear as I drive the car on the street on weekends so I can't have a teeth jarring car. My suspension guy that 450/550 is about as stiff as you want to go on a combo street/track car on the OEM dampers. It's not as stiff as you think. The car feels like I am driving it with Sport Mode on with the OEM springs. I also had the car lowered by about 10mm and corner balances with the help of adjustable sway bar links. I LOVE how the car drives both on the street and the track.

Originally Posted by orthojoe
I think I'm going to have to at this point. Can you tell us what spring rates you are running?
450/550 Swift Springs with tender springs...check with Chasen he knows exactly what I'm running.

Originally Posted by MarcD147
Are you running the suspension (button) on regular or stiff?
On the street I mix it up between Regular and Sport. On the track, it's Sport on all the time.

Originally Posted by zmon
I dont know what i am doing wrong, but all i have done is dial 2.75 camber up front and 2.5 in the rear, bars as they come from factory and i am not chewing the outer front tire at all...

I am not running like a sissy at all. ask some of the PCA patomac crew
You aren't going fast enough.

Quick Reply: Orthojoe's GT4 track thread and ramblings