Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2015, 10:56 AM
DSC Sport
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 56 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Reserve your GT4 DSC Module

We've been making great progress here at DSC Sport with the development of a controller for the 991/981 platform. Our GT4 is currently equipped with the system, and we have also tested it on a GT3 and base model 991, seeing improved lap times on all mentioned models (we don't have any official numbers, as we're only in the development stage - not testing).

I thought I would create a list of those who are interested in purchasing a DSC for their 991/981 to make things a little easier for everyone. We've received a lot of inquiries, and we expect to have the first batch sold out by the time it's ready to ship. Getting your name on the list now will ensure you get a unit as soon as possible (we're going to sell them first come, first serve based on this list), and it will allow us to size the production runs accordingly.

So if you are interested, PM us with your full name and email address. No payment info is necessary until units are ready to ship and you are ready to purchase. Also, reserving your spot on the list does not mean you're obligated to purchase once these are available. If we contact you, and you're not ready to buy, we'll simply take you off or rotate you to the end of the list per your request.

In the meantime, check out the GT4 on track at VIR below:

DSC Sport
8040 Washington Blvd
Jessup, MD 20794
(410) 799-7798 | www.dscsport.com | Facebook | Instagram
Old 09-24-2015, 11:08 AM
GT3 Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 83 Posts

I don't get it. You don't have any actual data to show the benefit or improvements? The lap time in the video really doesn't mean anything without a benchmark - and that being by an impartial test driver not one who has a direct benefit by driving slower with a base set up vs when driving with this "upgrade"....
I am not trying to be argumentative but I am just concerned that you want people to spend a chunk of change on something that isn't really proven. Maybe I am wrong on this....
Old 09-24-2015, 11:20 AM
RealityGT
Drifting

Received 227 Likes on 130 Posts

Are their any warranty implications when switching over to this box?
-I would also have to agree with the above post.

Regards,
Old 09-24-2015, 12:12 PM
DSC Sport
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by GT3 Nut
I don't get it. You don't have any actual data to show the benefit or improvements? The lap time in the video really doesn't mean anything without a benchmark - and that being by an impartial test driver not one who has a direct benefit by driving slower with a base set up vs when driving with this "upgrade"....
I am not trying to be argumentative but I am just concerned that you want people to spend a chunk of change on something that isn't really proven. Maybe I am wrong on this....
I totally understand your concerns, but there are a few things I'd like to address which will hopefully put you at ease a little.

1. The video of the GT4 is from the first day the car was fitted with DSC. In no way is it supposed to be a performance claim, besides that 2:08 is a solid lap for a street (and otherwise stock) car with street tires. It was intended to demonstrate that we have a DSC unit working functionally on the GT4, and this is exciting news for us and our loyal customer base.

2. The technology for the new platform is the same technology in the 997/987/996 platforms, which have been wildly successful. With regards to performance, we set a qualifying AND race lap record in our cup car at Watkins Glen during the IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge a few months ago.

3. As mentioned in the original post, there is no obligation to purchase if send us your name and email. It's just that we've had a lot of inquiries from people ready to purchase it as soon as it's developed (these are mostly coming from people who already have DSC on a 997 or 987). With all the interest and what will most likely be a limited supply in the early runs, we wanted to establish a fair way to distribute the DSC for the new platforms on a first come, first serve basis.

We understand that with any aftermarket product there is going to be skepticism, and rarely do people want to be the first to purchase a new product. Once development is complete, there will be more data, as well as personal reviews from our early adopters. In no way do we want to sell someone a product they are not ready to purchase.

I hope this addresses some of your concerns.

Originally Posted by RealityGT
Are their any warranty implications when switching over to this box?
-I would also have to agree with the above post.

Regards,
Porsche does state that any modifications to your Porsche will void the warranty for that system. With that said, whether or not it will void your warranty depends on your dealer (some are more lenient than others) and the steps you take. Many 987/987 customers have maintained their warranty by simply switching out the DSC with the stock PASM unit whenever they take their vehicle in for service.
Old 09-24-2015, 12:27 PM
IrishAndy
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

A pointless comment from the sidelines...

I'm not a buyer because I'm not going to track this car heavily, but I'm really interested to see what you guys can do once you've able to finalize the development and get some benchmarks.

This just seems like a great area for potential improvement since suspension is such a critical part of track performance. I'll be watching to see where this goes.
Old 09-24-2015, 12:55 PM
katmeho
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd be curious to know your alignment specs with your unit, when you have data to share.
Old 09-24-2015, 12:59 PM
Eric5280
Rennlist Member

Received 123 Likes on 67 Posts

I believe this is the same company that had this product reviewed by Jethro on the 991 GTS in the most recent issue of GT Porsche. The review seemed positive overall, and i'm guessing the Cayman version would yield similar results though the platform is different.
Old 09-24-2015, 03:21 PM
jcastle
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do these new units include new "velocity" based features? If so, can you provide more info on how much of an improvement this is over current DSC. Also, what improvements are likely to be seen with DSC over Porsche's most recent version of PASM. I can see how DSC programming is far superior to PASM from a 2007-2012 vehicle, but how much improvement can you really make on a brand new car? Also, do the latest dampers provide any more adjustability or capability compared to older versions? Is tractive still much better than OEM?
Old 09-24-2015, 03:49 PM
asamhall
Instructor

DCS Sport: I have been reading, but still am not sure what this product is. Is this a refinement of the computer for adjustable shocks? Thanks.
Old 09-24-2015, 04:10 PM
DSC Sport
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by asamhall
DCS Sport: I have been reading, but still am not sure what this product is. Is this a refinement of the computer for adjustable shocks? Thanks.
It's an improved control module to replace PASM that has a wider and faster-responding command range, getting more use out of the electronic dampers. It comes preloaded with maps based on years of racing data, but users will also be able to custom tune their own maps once we release the software.
Old 09-24-2015, 04:48 PM
Maverick1
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just curious but our the electronic dampers in the GT4 similar to the magnetic ones in Vettes and other cars?
Old 09-25-2015, 02:02 AM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Maverick1
Just curious but our the electronic dampers in the GT4 similar to the magnetic ones in Vettes and other cars?
No. Electronically controlled valves. Assuming the DSC PASM control module for the GT4 works the same as the one I installed in my 987, it utilizes a much faster processor for faster adaptivity and more performance oriented maps, plus it has 3 modes (instead of 2) and defaults on a restart to the last setting. I found it made a remarkable improvement in both street comfort and track performance.
Old 09-25-2015, 03:27 AM
Alpha.GT4
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 39 Posts

It would be interesting to see how much improvement this DSC unit has over the stock unit on the GT4, given that the GT4 is a pretty capable car off the bat already.

I had one of these in my previous 987.1 Cayman S Sport on Bilstein Damptronics. After putting this on, I felt that the true value of having active suspension was apparent. The car is so much more comfortable even on daily drives as the minor bounce was eliminated, yet squad/dive/roll were better controlled with the dampers being more "active" afterwards. The DSC program isn't about maximizing stiffness of the dampers, but rather utilize them in a better way. The TPC guys have really nailed this one, at least on the older generation cars. A few friends with 997 cars, including RS variants, have installed this unit and noticed an all rounded improvement in comfort and confidence in both street and track driving.

I've never driven a GT4 yet, but based on my limited experience on normal 981.1 PASM setup, I could see how TPC's DSC could improve the 981 experience much like how it did for 987 cars. Now the big question is whether Porsche reprogrammed the GT4 PASM drastically at all ...
Old 09-25-2015, 05:02 AM
Maverick1
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by STLPCA
No. Electronically controlled valves. Assuming the DSC PASM control module for the GT4 works the same as the one I installed in my 987, it utilizes a much faster processor for faster adaptivity and more performance oriented maps, plus it has 3 modes (instead of 2) and defaults on a restart to the last setting. I found it made a remarkable improvement in both street comfort and track performance.
Thanks for the explanation.
Old 02-21-2016, 09:24 AM
morefun
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts

Any updates on personal experience with the DSC installed on the GT4?

Quick Reply: Reserve your GT4 DSC Module